Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2014, 16:19   #15871
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

This is about an incident I got to see a few days back in Pune - on 21st July, around 11.30 p.m. between Rakshak Chowk and Aundh. The road is a wide 6 to 8 lane route, with BRTS lanes being constructed.

A Honda City had ridden over the divider with the car completely stuck up over the 1+ feet high divider. Initially thought of stopping over to help, but then I saw the occupants. The guys were completely drunk, standing outside the car with beer bottles in hand.

Funny thing - the road was completely empty with hardly a soul around. Dunno what made him veer over towards the divider! (note : rhetorical Q! )
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 16:25   #15872
BHPian

But with the number of openings in the divider without any sign boards make the high speed lane the riskiest too.
Old 27th July 2014, 16:32   #15873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
We are very vulnerable as bikers, all it could take is a nudge and we could be gone forever. ...
Most bikers in my mother country recognise that their vehicle is the most dangerous in the world, and drive to minimise that danger. Not here. Why-oh-why when there is plenty of road space, must bikers overtake within touching distance? A moment's inattention on the steering of the car, and they get nudged: maybe killed. It's easy to give, and take space to be safe in.

YaeJay, of course I understand that the safe, good bikers are the ones we don't even notice, let alone write about. You guys do exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
I also don't understand why many bikers especially women, drive on the extreme right of the road. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The right side of the road is the safest, at least with a divider. You only have to mind one flank.
How is it the safest, honeybee? It is closest to the fastest-moving traffic, and, where there is a divider, has the added risk for a biker of getting trapped between it and another vehicle.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 18:21   #15874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The right side of the road is the safest, at least with a divider. You only have to mind one flank.

It's pretty dumb though.
Sorry honeybee, I am not a biker but I fail to see how the right side of the road is the safest. Right side is for overtaking, fast vehicles and crossings / divider intersections. By driving a bike on the right side you are at risk each time a vehicle attempts to speed or overtake and each time you come to a gap in the divider. On left side you are the faster vehicle and have to watch out for pedestrians and cyclists but there is always the option to go slow.
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 18:34   #15875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Right side is for overtaking, fast vehicles and crossings / divider intersections. By driving a bike on the right side you are at risk each time a vehicle attempts to speed or overtake and each time you come to a gap in the divider.
And then there are roads where the right lane is for traffic turning right at the next intersection, where you need to choose your lane based on your direction of travel. On such roads, it would be a bad idea to stay on the left lane and then attempt a right turn.
Old 27th July 2014, 19:21   #15876
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
The van was taking a turn and the speeding biker coming on the same lane, felt he could slide past the van at it's front, misjudged.
If you look at where the rear wheels of the van are, it makes me wonder if he was taking the u-turn from the right-most lane or not.

Either way, no doubting what everyone is preaching on this thread about the best practices for safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
On seeing the video several times I felt the man was not in senses either drunk or something else.
My guess is that he was looking down (naturally, to try and navigate his bike across whatever little he could see of the bridge). Now the thing is that the water was flowing left to right, which made him sub-consciously steer towards the right (as if the water was solid ground and he was trying to go "straight"). Maybe he would have had better luck if he looked at a fixed object straight ahead and used that as a reference point.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 19:59   #15877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
If you look at where the rear wheels of the van are, it makes me wonder if he was taking the u-turn from the right-most lane or not.

Exactly. The angle at which the pick up is lying and the position of rear wheels suggest that it was a rather drastic turn. May be the biker was taken by surprise in this case and din't get enough time to stop. That's one probability.
Old 27th July 2014, 21:19   #15878
Distinguished - BHPian

Of course, there are instances in which bikers, and other vehicles, get caught out by an unsignalled and unexpected turn.

It can still be covered by the rules though:

-- don't overtake at a junction/intersection

-- don't overtake on a corner
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 22:52   #15879
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this one in the Park Circus area of Kolkata yesterday.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-07272014-kol-104.jpg
Old 27th July 2014, 23:23   #15880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Of course, there are instances in which bikers, and other vehicles, get caught out by an unsignalled and unexpected turn.

It can still be covered by the rules though:

-- don't overtake at a junction/intersection

-- don't overtake on a corner
And also

-- don't change lanes without proper signal and without giving enough time for the oncoming traffic to pass safe and clear if they are too close to let you pass.

It could be that the biker din't have any intention of overtaking in the first place IF he was just riding on in the right lane when (IF) the pick up just took a right turn too soon for the biker to react.

Has happened to me once at Bangalore in outer ring road. The other way round actually. I was on the right side lane in my car and suddenly this biker on the extreme left takes a sharp right towards the divider opening without any warning or signal with indicator lamps or hand. I jammed the brakes but still din't have enough time to avoid a minor contact with his bike causing him and wife to fall on the road. Immediately took them to the nearest hospital and got everything checked up. Fortunately just some minor scratches to him and the lady had no injuries. Bike was intact too. Only my car bumper due to contact with the bike's hot silencer got slightly burnt. The point is, I had no intention of overtaking anyone at the junction because there was a whole empty lane between him and me when I was driving on extreme right lane with him on the extreme left lane on the 3 lane road (on one side). And I wasn't driving at such high speeds either. Was just cruising at normal speeds. I just lost a few hours and some cash at the hospital for no fault of mine. It could have been worse. Thank God they were safe at least.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 00:37   #15881
BHPian

This one is spotted by my friend yesterday, near Pune.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1406487950.267508.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1406487963.166113.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1406487973.149047.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1406487984.466040.jpg

No further details on this though.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 28th July 2014, 00:53   #15882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Exactly. The angle at which the pick up is lying and the position of rear wheels suggest that it was a rather drastic turn. May be the biker was taken by surprise in this case and din't get enough time to stop. That's one probability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The incident happened on NH17B (This is a 40 Kms National Highway between Ponda and Vasco). There is another road NH17A (this is a short 19Kms National highway between Cortalim to Vasco. These are are some what like parallel roads and the only 2 roads leading to Vasco.

NH17B is a 4 lane road with a proper median strip. An internal connecting road from NH17A joins the NH17B at this point of intersection (The red arrow in the picture) It is a pretty busy junction as lots of vehicles comiing from Panaji side and going to airport or Bogmalo (Both on NH17B) take this connecting road to arrive at NH17B. you can also see another internal road (Blue arrow) joining the highway at the same junction ( about 50 meters from the connecting road).

So it appears that the truck could be coming from the blue local road joining the highway or was on the left lane on the highway (the green arrow) and taking a U turn to the right. Lots of vehicles criss-cross at this junction and the biker has a clear 100-120 meters view of the road while approaching the junction so he could not have missed a truck turning to the right.

All vehicles invariably slow down at this junction as there is always a possibility of some vehicle coming from the internal roads and cutting across the highway. The bike being a local one I am sure he must be aware of the traffic situation. so in my opinion it is a clear case of mis judgement and carelessness and an error on the part of the biker.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn0146-copy-2.jpg  

ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 01:25   #15883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How is it the safest, honeybee? It is closest to the fastest-moving traffic, and, where there is a divider, has the added risk for a biker of getting trapped between it and another vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Sorry honeybee, I am not a biker but I fail to see how the right side of the road is the safest. Right side is for overtaking, fast vehicles and crossings / divider intersections. By driving a bike on the right side you are at risk each time a vehicle attempts to speed or overtake and each time you come to a gap in the divider. On left side you are the faster vehicle and have to watch out for pedestrians and cyclists but there is always the option to go slow.
That's all correct in theory, but often I wonder if the left side is meant for overtaking, the way vehicles stick to the rightmost lane without budging.

I have often experienced a massive slowdown or a jam whenever a slow moving vehicle is hogging the rightmost lane. Why? Because people have to wait for a gap in the left lane. Much difficult than finding a gap in the lane on your right. Also this makes you slow down without option.

When I drive in the middle lane I must watch the right mirror, then the left mirror and then again the right. When I drive on the far right, I only have to look at the left one.

Best practised on long stretches without an unregulated breach in the median, such as the EEH.
Old 28th July 2014, 07:25   #15884
BHPian

Whoa! This accident sent the chills down my spine. That fortuner is totalled!
Lucky it wasn't a hatchback or any other vehicle.
Drive safe guys.
Old 28th July 2014, 10:16   #15885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
This one is spotted by my friend yesterday, near Pune.

Attachment 1267144Attachment 1267145Attachment 1267146Attachment 1267147

No further details on this though.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
This one is scary. And it was a Fortuner. Any news about the occupants?

Looks as if the Oil tanker jumped the median and crashed against the side of the Fortuner, which might also have hit the median in order to swerve right.

Most Viewed