Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2014, 21:28   #16051
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

So the two wheeler driver is poor and can neither afford to have a safer vehicle nor follow the rules.

Assume pre accident he won a lottery & bought a nice car and now flashback to the day of the accident

He is tailgating the same bus (common scenario on our roads)

The infant is either in her mother's lap or worse still in the lap of the father while holding on to the steering wheel (both common scenarios played out daily on our roads).

The bus brakes suddenly/sharply and assuming that it does have the run under protection bar the car hits the bar (rather than going under and swiping out the entire family, which btw is another common scenario on the highways)

Likely outcomes for the infant are

1. The mother doubles over and crushes the infant (seat belts?? what are those)

2. The infant's head is crushed between the wheel and the father's body (seat belts?? really, come on now!)

So what happened here? Guy with money in a car but rules ??

It is not a question of being able to afford it is an inborn disease not to follow.

Social status, education, position in life, family background have nothing to do with common sense.

Forget the rules being rules, we just do not want to consider even for a fleeting second the consequences of our actions.

So let us stop blaming the scooter wallah and the car wallah and at least try and educate those around us such as family members, friends, relatives, neighbours, employer, employees anyone we have access to ...you get the picture.

Let me warn you though that the above exercise however subtly it may be undertaken can and will make you unpopular with a lot of people.

It is not until the need to learn and follow the rules is ingrained in to the young starting at a very young age say from play school, in kindergarten thru to junior school, that we will not be able to see an end to this apathy.

Last edited by khoj : 18th August 2014 at 21:31.
khoj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 08:00   #16052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Motihari, Bihar - 18 people died in train-tempo crash on a railway crossing. All people were said to be of same family who just bought the new tempo and were returning to home after paying prayers of buying the new tempo. Though the railway authorities confirmed 4 deaths till now.

People said that the gatekeeper of this crossing always found under influence of alcohol and forgets to shut the gates. He did the same this time as well which cost so many deaths.
Any idea if the train's loco pilot was arrested according to the popular Indian tradition of finding fault with the bigger vehicle?
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 08:28   #16053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Any idea if the train's loco pilot was arrested according to the popular Indian tradition of finding fault with the bigger vehicle?
Sorry for posting such a gruesome snap. The fault is entirely of the gateman as he did not close the railway crossing boomer as apparently he was busy listening to songs on his mobile. Immediately after the accident, he ran away and so did the train loco pilots as they feared for their own lives.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140819_082354.png
Views: 4594
Size:  983.0 KB
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 08:29   #16054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
No such info in the news article, rather train departed after cleaning the tempo debris from the track.

Railway announced financial help of Rs 50K and state govt announced Rs 1.5L to family of each deceased.
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 09:36   #16055
BHPian

2 days, 2 accidents involving drunk drivers in Delhi/NCR.

1. Drunk driver drives into a weekly market after losing control of his SUV.

Quote:
An eyewitness who owns a shop at the site where the accident took place, said, "Around 8.30pm, I heard the screeching sound of brakes followed by cries of women, I rushed out of my shop and saw a white SUV trying to manoeuvre away. But in the process, it knocked down some people. When it came to a halt, the crowd pulled out the driver and thrashed him."

Dr Sandeep Jain, head of the emergency and trauma unit of Pushpanjali, said, "Eight people were admitted to hospital out of whom three are in serious condition." The driver of the SUV is also said to be critical.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-19_08_2014_002_049_007.jpg

Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/40384811.cms

2. Drunk driver drives over to the pavement killing 1 and injuring 12 others.

Quote:
A homeless man was killed and 12 others were injured on Sunday night when a drunk man drove his Mahindra Quanto over the pavement where they were sleeping. The accident occurred near Nigambodh Ghat on Ring Road around 10pm.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-19_08_2014_002_025_009.jpg

Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/40382084.cms

Statistics showing drunk and driving cases in Delhi:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-19_08_2014_002_047_009.jpg

Quote:
This year, 300 persons have died in accidents related to drunk driving. That's 42% of the year's 714 road fatalities. While Delhi Police's steps to check drunk driving have proved ineffective, it blames meagre fines and mild sentences by courts for the problem.

Till July 31, police had booked more than 18,000 persons for drunk driving, but almost all of them were let off after they paid fines of Rs 2,000 and attended counselling sessions. Police data shows 60 persons were booked twice for drunk driving while four have been booked three or more times in the past one year.

Drunk driving carries is punishable with a fine of Rs 2,000 fine or six months' jail or both. Repeat offenders can be fined Rs 3,000 and jailed for up to two years.
Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/40382085.cms
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 09:40   #16056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
No such info in the news article, rather train departed after cleaning the tempo debris from the track.
Off topic! While the train driver is not arrested, he has to still suffer for no fault of his.
1. He now has to continue with his duty immediately after being a party to such gruesome incident and continue with his schedule with a relief driver not being available always.
2. He has to carry the guilt for the rest of his life
DWind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 14:36   #16057
BHPian

Bad luck is haunting me and the result is my second major accident within 30days. Fortunately i came out without any injury.

When:This happened on 17th august at 21:27 while i was travelling in my innova from Delhi to Gurgaon on NH8.

Where: Opposite Signature Towers after crossing Hotel Crowne Plaza.

How: I was travelling at speeds of 90-100kmph since traffic was very less being a sunday holiday. For those who are aware of this particular patch on the highway, it is a curved flyover/elevated section.

A bus was travelling in front of me in the extreme right lane, with another bus on my left travelling at almost the same speed as my car. The bus infront of me suddenly makes a sharp left. Now since this is a curved section i am unaware of the horror that awaits me. Few metres ahead i notice a maruti 800 parked in the right most lane of the expressway and i have nowhere to swerve as i have two buses on my left and divider on my right. I slammed the brakes hard but due to high speed and descending section of the flyover the speed doesnt shed as much as required and my car bangs in the left rear of this parked maruti 800. The maruti moves 7-8 ft. ahead due to force of the impact.

Facts: The maruti was parked by the driver and his colleague to replace right front punctured tyre. They didn't even care to switch on the hazard blinkers. Weirder fact is that due to non availability of car-jack one of the guys was holding the car with his hands while the other was replacing the tyre.

Damage/Injury: Totalled maruti, damaged front end of my innova and leg injury to one of the guys while the other was lucky enough to come out scratchless. No injury of any sort to me as i was belted.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-edited20140817_220319.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-edited20140817_220338.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20140817_220419.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20140817_220309.jpg  

ramneek009 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 16:04   #16058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Bad luck is haunting me and the result is my second major accident within 30days. Fortunately i came out without any injury.

scratchless. No injury of any sort to me as i was belted.
What was he thinking, changing his Tyre on the right most lane of the highway? Even if he had a flat, he could have driven and parked on the left most lane with hazard warning lights on, and maybe some sort of warning a good few meters behind where he parked. Nowadays, most cars come with a hazard warning sign board that can be made to stand on the road. Worst case, he could have even used a branch of some sort.

On that note, you could have parked on the left lane before taking pictures to avoid another collision

It is fortunate that no one got seriously injured. Hope the damage to you Innova isn't too serious, and hope it will be fixed up asap!
DDiSLover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 16:11   #16059
BHPian

That seems very nasty! Thank God that you are alright and no major casualities. What happened later? Did those guys force you for a claim?
Old 19th August 2014, 17:23   #16060
BHPian

Quote:
Bad luck is haunting me and the result is my second major accident within 30days. Fortunately i came out without any injury. .
Dear Ramneek

I have two real concerns :

1) Changing the Tyre of the car without a jack and that too on the right most lane on a curve. Totally Insane!! This guy needs to be provided some real information and knowledge about the roads.

2) Were you driving on a 90 -100 speed on the curve that turns towards Crowne plaze cos if you were, that's dangerous bro. My suggestion to anyone would be, never be above 40 -50 while taking a turn, as speed will always tend to increase the damage. Plus, probability of the car going out of control is more as you are turning.

Drive safe and take care.

P.S : I work in signature towers and take that turn daily and I know its a long curvy turn.
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 17:28   #16061
BANNED

Quote:
Few metres ahead i notice a maruti 800 parked in the right most lane of the expressway and i have nowhere to swerve as i have two buses on my left and divider on my right.
The owner and his friend must be

What next? Have you taken their details etc to get the repairs done?

Thank god that you are fine. Sad to see the damage to the Innova for no fault of its!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
On that note, you could have parked on the left lane before taking pictures to avoid another collision.
I don't think that the Innova was driveable looking at the pictures.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 20:30   #16062
BHPian

@ramneek009, bro glad that you're fine and no one too seriously hurt. Both vehicles look seriously damaged.

Quote:
What was he thinking, changing his Tyre on the right most lane of the highway? Even if he had a flat, he could have driven and parked on the left most lane with hazard warning lights on, and maybe some sort of warning a good few meters behind where he parked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
1) Changing the Tyre of the car without a jack and that too on the right most lane on a curve. Totally Insane!! This guy needs to be provided some real information and knowledge about the roads.
C'mon guys, I know we're on team-bhp where we think about safetly, but seriously how many times do we see this scenario? Almost every time I see a vehicle that's had a puncture or <insert any other sort of mechanical/driver breakdown>, the vehicle is parked exactly where the owner discovered it, usually in the middle of the road regardless of the traffic, rush hour etc etc.
I'm not saying they're right or defending their actions - they're morons but that's beside the point. We need to expect the unexpected on our roads and that belief itself makes me reduce my speed even on empty roads and keep distance especially when following large vehicles.
gomzi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 20:37   #16063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The maruti was parked by the driver and his colleague to replace right front punctured tyre. They didn't even care to switch on the hazard blinkers. Weirder fact is that due to non availability of car-jack one of the guys was holding the car with his hands while the other was replacing the tyre.
Was it an deliberate attempt by the Maruti owner to dispose off the car without getting his hands dirtied so that he can claim the insurance and buy a new car? What else can be the motive of the person who parks his car on the right most lane? Also hazard blinkers are for rains and tunnel travels not for road side emergencies isnt it? Ask that chap and he will confirm the same.

To top it all holding the car to change the tyres, what do we have here - Hercules? Or what was that Will Smith movie where he has superpowers?

Your Innova had to take the brunt unfortunately, I hope the car will be restored back to its original within matter of time.
Old 19th August 2014, 20:52   #16064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Was it an deliberate attempt by the Maruti owner to dispose off the car without getting his hands dirtied so that he can claim the insurance and buy a new car? What else can be the motive of the person who parks his car on the right most lane?
Technically the claim also can not be passed in such incident which clearly falls under "negligence" category but its other way in the reality and such claims are passed in India.
Old 19th August 2014, 21:07   #16065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What was he thinking, changing his Tyre on the right most lane of the highway? ...
He believed that he'd be able to change the tyre quickly in that lane; after all it is the FAST lane!
anupmathur is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed