Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 22:32   #16066
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Technically the claim also can not be passed in such incident which clearly falls under "negligence" category but its other way in the reality and such claims are passed in India.
You have to traverse the Gurgaon eway to know the level of stupidity that exists.
On an eway,bikers will stop to answer phones, cars will crawl at 20 kmph, jaywalkers will jump 15 feet high fences to play frogger.
All in the right lane.

And then at night, they let loose the dogs of war.... The trucks, overtaking at 5 and 6 kmph,exchanging files via bluetooth, you see.
That's why they are side by side for hours on end.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 01:00   #16067
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Bad luck is haunting me

... ... ...

How: I was travelling at speeds of 90-100kmph ... ... ... Now since this is a curved section i am unaware of the horror that awaits me.
In other words, you were travelling at those speeds without being able to see what was ahead.

You are not unlucky. You are very very lucky that you didn't kill someone in that accident.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 02:14   #16068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Was it an deliberate attempt by the Maruti owner to dispose off the car without getting his hands dirtied so that he can claim the insurance and buy a new car? What else can be the motive of the person who parks his car on the right most lane?
I just don't get this... no matter how much I think/visualise about the scenario... how can one change the front right tyre in the right most lane of an eway which is exactly adjacent to a divider?!

I mean it would be so very awkward with so very cramped space... not to mention the hazards of someone bonking in from behind.

This very much corroborates the lounge of thought that this seems to be a deliberate ploy to extract the last bit of juice from the m800 thru insurance.
Old 20th August 2014, 11:36   #16069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
On that note, you could have parked on the left lane before taking pictures to avoid another collision

It is fortunate that no one got seriously injured. Hope the damage to you Innova isn't too serious, and hope it will be fixed up asap!
My car was not driveable. The right front tyre was jammed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
That seems very nasty! Thank God that you are alright and no major casualities. What happened later? Did those guys force you for a claim?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
2) Were you driving on a 90 -100 speed on the curve that turns towards Crowne plaze cos if you were, that's dangerous bro. My suggestion to anyone would be, never be above 40 -50 while taking a turn, as speed will always tend to increase the damage. Plus, probability of the car going out of control is more as you are turning.

P.S : I work in signature towers and take that turn daily and I know its a long curvy turn.
No. This is infront of the petrol pump after crossing crowne plaza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The owner and his friend must be

What next? Have you taken their details etc to get the repairs done?

Thank god that you are fine. Sad to see the damage to the Innova for no fault of its!

I don't think that the Innova was driveable looking at the pictures.

Anurag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
@ramneek009, bro glad that you're fine and no one too seriously hurt. Both vehicles look seriously damaged.

C'mon guys, I know we're on team-bhp where we think about safetly, but seriously how many times do we see this scenario? Almost every time I see a vehicle that's had a puncture or <insert any other sort of mechanical/driver breakdown>, the vehicle is parked exactly where the owner discovered it, usually in the middle of the road regardless of the traffic, rush hour etc etc.
I'm not saying they're right or defending their actions - they're morons but that's beside the point. We need to expect the unexpected on our roads and that belief itself makes me reduce my speed even on empty roads and keep distance especially when following large vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Was it an deliberate attempt by the Maruti owner to dispose off the car without getting his hands dirtied so that he can claim the insurance and buy a new car? What else can be the motive of the person who parks his car on the right most lane? Also hazard blinkers are for rains and tunnel travels not for road side emergencies isnt it? Ask that chap and he will confirm the same.

To top it all holding the car to change the tyres, what do we have here - Hercules? Or what was that Will Smith movie where he has superpowers?

Your Innova had to take the brunt unfortunately, I hope the car will be restored back to its original within matter of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In other words, you were travelling at those speeds without being able to see what was ahead.

You are not unlucky. You are very very lucky that you didn't kill someone in that accident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo222 View Post
I just don't get this... no matter how much I think/visualise about the scenario... how can one change the front right tyre in the right most lane of an eway which is exactly adjacent to a divider?!

I mean it would be so very awkward with so very cramped space... not to mention the hazards of someone bonking in from behind.

This very much corroborates the lounge of thought that this seems to be a deliberate ploy to extract the last bit of juice from the m800 thru insurance.
This is not exactly a turn which most of you have understood. This happens to a very very slightly curved section of the highway. The only reason the maruti wasnt visible to me was because of the bus infront of me. As the bus made a sharp lane change that is when i realized there is a parked car in my lane.

If you guys notice the tyre marks of my car, it is clearly visible that i had atleast 40ft of braking distance which is enough to bring a car to halt but tyres had no traction due to mud in the right most lane.

Yes my speed was higher than the 80kmph limit imposed but that is because as i was entering this section i had to overtake two cars so i accelerated. So yes i had 10-20kmph more on the speedo.

The maruti was borrowed by the driver from a friend. This was a 2004 model and was in pretty bad shape. No insurance, no PUC certificate was present at the time of accident with the driver. The driver lived in a village nearby. When i got out of the car i could see he had injury on his ankle which needed treatment. I called the ambulance and my uncle whom i had called took him to civil hospital where they stitched his ankle wound and later i got him shifted to a private hospital where i got all his checkups done to make sure he is fine.

To settle the situation we paid for his treatment and car both. Thats the best we could do because no matter where and how he had parked his car. If i would have been within the speed limit this crash could have been avoided.

Last edited by ramneek009 : 20th August 2014 at 11:47.
ramneek009 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 12:07   #16070
BHPian

Quote:
My car was not driveable. The right front tyre was jammed.
Ah makes sense now. I thought the car was still drive-able. My bad.
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 12:43   #16071
BHPian

Quote:

The maruti was borrowed by the driver from a friend. This was a 2004 model and was in pretty bad shape. No insurance, no PUC certificate was present at the time of accident with the driver. The driver lived in a village nearby.
But it still beats me on how can one think about changing his right tyre in the right most lane of an e-way where he is likely to face a very cramped / impossible situation to access the tyre for changing.

This surely shows that it was a deliberate ploy by the m800 owner for extracting some monies. "No insurance" beats me again about his actual motive coz it means that he cannot expect anything thru insurance... maybe he is genuinely a bad /dumb driver.

Also pains to learn that it was you who had to pay money while it should have been the other way around. That's the irony of we drivers in India.
Old 20th August 2014, 13:01   #16072
BHPian

Ambulance crash opposite Shantiniketan, Whitefield, Blr
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1408519846889.jpg  

Old 20th August 2014, 13:08   #16073
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiranjan View Post
Ambulance crash opposite Shantiniketan, Whitefield, Blr
One only hopes that it was not headed to/from a medical emergency.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 13:18   #16074
BHPian

Actually the 800 guy was one of the innumerable Indians who have this mentality - "Let me park however I want, other drivers will watch out for me, they have eyes, they will swerve and pass-by, nothing will happen".. An even more Indian'ised version would be "Arey accident apne saath nai hota, apan sirf accident dekhte hain, apne saath hota nai hain".

I really hate such morons. 1 more thing, always follow the saying "Keep Safe Distance", more than anything else. I really mean it. I experienced this when I was following an AutoRickshaw on my bike. The auto guy easily passed over a rather very big stone and I was only a few feet away from it. I somehow managed to swerve around it, if not then I'd not have been alive to post this!

I learned it the hard way, although nothing happened to me, it scared the living daylights out of me. In my case, I was the smaller vehicle following a larger vehicle blindly, without any clue of what was lying ahead. Since that day, be it car or bike, I always make it a point to maintain safe distance so I'd be able to brake/swerve in-time without getting caught off guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

A teaching video that I use, from my own dashcam.

The video on YouTube also carries an explanation of the event, on the YouTube page.
That was indeed a very close call. We can only learn from experienced and well-travelled drivers like you Sir! At the start of the video I thought the truck would swerve unexpectedly to dodge something lying on the highway but when it was a truck travelling in the opposite direction, I was like !

And I have noted in my mind the thing which you have stated about truck drivers changing lanes suddenly. Can really save one's life.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 13:33   #16075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is not exactly a turn which most of you have understood. This happens to a very very slightly curved section of the highway. The only reason the maruti wasnt visible to me was because of the bus infront of me. As the bus made a sharp lane change that is when i realized there is a parked car in my lane.
It is all too easy to comment on a situation that one didn't see, on roads that one doesn't know. If my response was completely out of order, then you have taken it in a very friendly way which I appreciate.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 14:33   #16076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
One only hopes that it was not headed to/from a medical emergency.
Not sure ... But since ambulance was going / trying to go on the wrong side, probably it was an emergency and with the patient inside it as the hospital is 200 mtrs away from that spot.
Abhiranjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 14:45   #16077
BHPian

Quote:
For those who are aware of this particular patch on the highway, it is a curved flyover/elevated section.

A bus was travelling in front of me in the extreme right lane, with another bus on my left travelling at almost the same speed as my car. The bus infront of me suddenly makes a sharp left. Now since this is a curved section i am unaware of the horror that awaits me.
The Hennur underpass in Bangalore is curved and it poses similar risk. On two instances, I had seen broken down vehicles parked on the right most lane just after the curve. The vehicles approaching the curve will not have any idea of whats ahead of them. Luckily, I was able to swerve left. The next day, I saw shattered glass in that exact place, indicating an accident. These days, I drive only in the leftmost or middle lane in that underpass.
Old 20th August 2014, 15:29   #16078
RSR
Senior - BHPian

About the middle lane - first, one must understand that there is no such thing as a safe stretch of road or a safe lane on a road anywhere in India! But on multi-lane roads (city or highway) the middle lane (or one of the middle lanes) is indeed the safer option (strictly relatively speaking, of course) to drive on, whenever possible.

Not that one can afford to relax or disregard rules & common sense or fail to take the stupidity of others into account while driving on the middle lane, but nasty surprises tend to increase proportionately the further one is away (on either side) from the middle lane of such multi-lane roads in India. Wherever there is a clearly demarcated middle lane, it's best to put it to good use while driving.

Riding is a different thing, as there are plenty of other factors to be taken into consideration.

Please feel free to criticise or correct me if I am wrong about this "middle-of-the-road" thingy.

Last edited by RSR : 20th August 2014 at 15:36.
Old 20th August 2014, 15:47   #16079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
When you are following a large vehicle which cuts off your visibility ahead - and you have inadvertently or intentionally moved up closer than the braking distance - then, if the bus / truck ahead suddenly swerves off from your lane, do NOT start rejoicing about what a gentleman the driver ahead is. He is swerving to avoid some obstruction ahead, and you had better follow in his track, and swerve yourself!
There was no space to swerve. On my right was the divider and to my left was another bus. See the tyre marks in one of the picture i had posted, it is visible how my car is approaching the middle lane while skidding. That is the max space i had, otherwise i would have crashed into the bus on my left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo222 View Post
But it still beats me on how can one think about changing his right tyre in the right most lane of an e-way where he is likely to face a very cramped / impossible situation to access the tyre for changing.

This surely shows that it was a deliberate ploy by the m800 owner for extracting some monies. "No insurance" beats me again about his actual motive coz it means that he cannot expect anything thru insurance... maybe he is genuinely a bad /dumb driver.

Also pains to learn that it was you who had to pay money while it should have been the other way around. That's the irony of we drivers in India.
The driver was dumb actually. He was abusing me while lying injured on the road for smashing into a properly parked car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Actually the 800 guy was one of the innumerable Indians who have this mentality - "Let me park however I want, other drivers will watch out for me, they have eyes, they will swerve and pass-by, nothing will happen".. An even more Indian'ised version would be "Arey accident apne saath nai hota, apan sirf accident dekhte hain, apne saath hota nai hain".

I really hate such morons. 1 more thing, always follow the saying "Keep Safe Distance", more than anything else. I really mean it. I experienced this when I was following an AutoRickshaw on my bike. The auto guy easily passed over a rather very big stone and I was only a few feet away from it. I somehow managed to swerve around it, if not then I'd not have been alive to post this!

I learned it the hard way, although nothing happened to me, it scared the living daylights out of me. In my case, I was the smaller vehicle following a larger vehicle blindly, without any clue of what was lying ahead. Since that day, be it car or bike, I always make it a point to maintain safe distance so I'd be able to brake/swerve in-time without getting caught off guard.

That was indeed a very close call. We can only learn from experienced and well-travelled drivers like you Sir! At the start of the video I thought the truck would swerve unexpectedly to dodge something lying on the highway but when it was a truck travelling in the opposite direction, I was like !

And I have noted in my mind the thing which you have stated about truck drivers changing lanes suddenly. Can really save one's life.

-Bhargav
I had no space to swerve. i had enough braking distance but like i said earlier my car skidded for 30-35ft due to loss of traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is all too easy to comment on a situation that one didn't see, on roads that one doesn't know. If my response was completely out of order, then you have taken it in a very friendly way which I appreciate.
No problem
ramneek009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 19:39   #16080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
But on multi-lane roads (city or highway) the middle lane (or one of the middle lanes) is indeed the safer option
+

In case of any nasty surprises, you have room to swerve(either side).

Time to react if some biker/pedestrian darts from the median.

Tyre explosion at higher speeds- less chance of vehicles flying on hitting the median, provided you hold the steering tight(and pray).

Vehicles faster than you will overtake you in the fast lane(right). You are enforcing good road manners.

Rainy season- most of the time pool of water is at median side or the kerb side. Less chance of aquaplaning.

-

If you are speeding, you have to give steering inputs often- going to fast lane, back to middle lane, fast lane..

Predicament of dealing with traffic in both sides- you need to keep watching both the ORVMs.

Racers will produce butterfly in your stomach- as it happened to me when 2 Ventos with TN34 registration overtook me very closely simultaneously in the NH7.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks