Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2014, 19:58   #16111
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Lines, what lines? And whose line is it anyway?

welcome to

whose road is it anyway? where the lanes are made up and the rules dont matter.
hajaar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 20:13   #16112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
On a related note, I dare you to quiz our fellow Indians on the meaning & significance of a solid or broken line between opposite lanes of traffic.
You can expect answers that these lines will be used as reference for centering their vehicles. In fact that is what I used to think as a kid. It is supposed to be in line with the bonnet ornament found in ambassador.
DWind is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 07:33   #16113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
And @thad, I am always afraid of driving here, yet I love driving here Might seem confusing, but it's true in my case
I can totally relate to that - there's a primal thrill to navigating and surviving our roads that excites us, but there's the risk of an accident triggered by someone else that also worries and cautions us.
Old 27th August 2014, 10:31   #16114
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note: Posts on evidence-based training moved to a new thread, as requested. Please continue the discussion there.
Old 27th August 2014, 13:40   #16115
BHPian

Incredibly close shave for the biker.

Probably one in a million chance for someone to land up like this. Would have liked the video to be a little longer to show what finally transpired.

Note to Mods: The accident video looks to have been shot outside of India. Please feel free to delete / move if it does not seem appropriate
Gotham_City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 20:56   #16116
Distinguished - BHPian

Overturned truck on NH58 this morning, causing a major traffic jam.

Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1409153155778.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1409153186295.jpg  

Old 27th August 2014, 21:23   #16117
BHPian

No clue what happened, but this Wagon-r number ending with 1017; ended up landing on the river bed. No casualties or injuries except to the car.
Completely flipped over the narrow culvert after the "Le-Royale hotel" hinjewadi Pune on the road to Maan Village.

Its just an image, don't try to press the play button.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.jpg  

saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 23:11   #16118
Senior - BHPian

Got this today from a friend. Two persons employed in Accenture were traveling on the ORR this afternoon towards their workspot at triple-digit speeds amind heavy rain on their Swift.

The car probably aqua-planed and hit a divider and then somersaulted a few times. Miraculously, both emerged with minor scratches. Lucky souls!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-altanc0ege5smgwjogdcvnmdkanumhmnrnxp4k5j7dmww.jpg
Old 27th August 2014, 23:41   #16119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Got this today from a friend. Two persons employed in Accenture were traveling on the ORR this afternoon towards their workspot at triple-digit speeds amind heavy rain on their Swift.

The car probably aqua-planed and hit a divider and then somersaulted a few times. Miraculously, both emerged with minor scratches. Lucky souls!

Attachment 1279440
WOW, that is guardian angel working overtime!

Looks like some cheap Chinese alloys! One of them seems to have broken off at the spokes. Usually, the good quality alloys would be more or less intact even if the entire structure around it crumbled.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 23:49   #16120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Looks like some cheap Chinese alloys! One of them seems to have broken off at the spokes. Usually, the good quality alloys would be more or less intact even if the entire structure around it crumbled.
Not really, the OEM alloys also bent or even get wrecked in the collapse. Rather the OEM alloys are also part of crumple zones.

Concept is anyhow the shock to the occupants should be reduced as much as possible. If alloys are not collapsible then they will cause the shock to the occupants when bottom parts of the car crash somewhere, for example collapsing with dividers, footpaths etc.

You can find broken OEM alloys of even premium car manufacturers like BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc in this thread itself.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 27th August 2014 at 23:51.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 23:54   #16121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Not really, the OEM alloys also bent or even get wrecked in the collapse. Rather the OEM alloys are also part of crumple zones.

Concept is anyhow the shock to the occupants should be reduced as much as possible. If alloys are not collapsible then they will cause the shock to the occupants when bottom parts of the car crash somewhere, for example collapsing with dividers, footpaths etc.

You can find broken OEM alloys of even premium car manufacturers like BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc in this thread itself.
For the alloy to crack like this, it should be weaker than the 4 hub bolts where the wheel gets mounted. Otherwise, that hub should have broken off instead.
Old 27th August 2014, 23:58   #16122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

OE alloys can shatter when hitting a stone or pothole forget the impact during a rollover or accident with divider. That's the disadvantage with alloys, they are light weight but brittle. On the other hand, the steel OE wheels will bend but not break easily.

Maybe forged alloy wheels maybe stronger, but even genuine OE alloys can shatter on impact.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 00:04   #16123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
OE alloys can shatter when hitting a stone or pothole forget the impact during a rollover or accident with divider. That's the disadvantage with alloys, they are light weight but brittle. On the other hand, the steel OE wheels will bend but not break easily.

Maybe forged alloy wheels maybe stronger, but even genuine OE alloys can shatter on impact.
Thanks, I didn't know they were brittle; I thought good ones were light weight and strong at the same time. Most pictures I've seen had the alloys suffer much lesser damage compared to the surrounding area.
Old 28th August 2014, 00:12   #16124
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks, I didn't know they were brittle; I thought good ones were light weight and strong at the same time. Most pictures I've seen had the alloys suffer much lesser damage compared to the surrounding area.
It depends on the speed, force of impact, object hit.

A high speed impact on a large pothole may crack the alloy.

A run over in a stone (larger size) can also crack the alloy.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 10:35   #16125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

Attachment 1279440
Rear tyres seem to have decent tread, whereas the front tyre looks like its worn off a bit. That's another reason why tyre rotation is a good idea. It evens out the wear in all four tyres.

I drive on the highways a lot and sometimes a large pool of water comes up suddenly and its too late to brake and slow down to controllable speeds. I've had some real scary moments in such situations. When car hits the pool of water you can almost feel the car lifting off the road due to force at which the water splash hits the underbody. You can also feel the tyres losing traction. At this time it is important that you lift your foot off the brakes / acc pedal and hold the steering tight and hope that you pass that pool of water and tyres regain traction.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks