Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2014, 14:05   #16156
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
Neither in this case, nor in the case of a less serious (read fractures) incident last year, the hospital or anyone else asked me for anything at all. Things are different these days, the hospital staff attend to the victim immediately, and the person who brought them in are not asked for their identity.

I am not sure if this is because of some sort of legislation, but both hospitals behaved similarly.
This is immensely reassuring to read - and this is something that needs to be promoted more as this is one of the reasons people don't step forward to help others.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 14:14   #16157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was witness to a horrific motorcycle crash on inner ring road close to the Dell office on Friday 29th August.
Respect! A good deed but sad to read about the passing away of the rider. No helmet I assume? I can't begin to fathom why....23 years old and imagine the plight of the family and friends who have to deal with this loss!
Old 1st September 2014, 14:27   #16158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Respect! A good deed but sad to read about the passing away of the rider. No helmet I assume? I can't begin to fathom why....23 years old and imagine the plight of the family and friends who have to deal with this loss!
Badly fitting helmet I guess. I am certain I saw a helmet, and his friend recounted to the docs that he was wearing one, but it wasn't on his head when he was down.
Cannot reiterate enough the need to wear standard approved full faced helmets that fit snugly!
reswaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 14:27   #16159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Neither in this case, nor in the case of a less serious (read fractures) incident last year, the hospital or anyone else asked me for anything at all..
This should inspire more of us to help accident victims.

Didn't 3M guys ask you anything at all?
Blood in a car seat can always lead to suspicion.

Quote:
Badly fitting helmet I guess. I am certain I saw a helmet, and his friend recounted to the docs that he was wearing one, but it wasn't on his head when he was down.
Also possible that he hadn't fastened the helmet, no?
Many people wear helmets only to fool the policemen. They won't understand or care about the fact that an unfastened helmet is as good as no helmet.

Last edited by rohanjf : 1st September 2014 at 14:29.
Old 1st September 2014, 15:12   #16160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
....They won't understand or care about the fact that an unfastened helmet is as good as no helmet.
In certain circumstances, an unfastened helmet can be worse that no helmet. If you fall at a certain angle, the helmet can turn at an awkward angle causing injuries, perhaps even snap one's neck.

The best helmets can't protect if they aren't used as intended.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 15:40   #16161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cannot reiterate enough the need to wear standard approved full faced helmets that fit snugly!
Yes, that is sad to know. Maybe, just maybe, a good, well-fitting helmet might have just saved his life.

OT but I try telling people to buy good helmets but they all look at me like I am mad. Why are we so senseless?
Old 1st September 2014, 18:28   #16162
BHPian

Quote:
Neither in this case, nor in the case of a less serious (read fractures) incident last year, the hospital or anyone else asked me for anything at all. Things are different these days, the hospital staff attend to the victim immediately, and the person who brought them in are not asked for their identity.

I think the days of harassment and legal trouble for good samaritans are over and more of us should lend a helping hand to accident victims. After all, our country has the highest number of accidents in the world!
That is indeed a good thing. In my case I was actually asked to come to the hospital as they said, a FIR needed to be lodged. I refused by stating the obvious - I do not wish to be involved in an FIR; helping someone is all right, getting caught in legal wrangles (for an injury) is ridiculous.

P.S. : The incident was when an Indica ran over the foot of a girl who appeared out of nowhere on the road (actually came up from the side of a bus - which had completely blocked his view). I had got the girl to a hospital nearby.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 1st September 2014 at 18:31.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 18:55   #16163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post

OT but I try telling people to buy good helmets but they all look at me like I am mad. Why are we so senseless?
I regularly meet people on roads who snigger at me & my wife when we stop next to them on our bike.

Cause of their amusement: We're both wearing proper helmets.

People spend several tens of thousands (sometimes a lakh+) on gadgets they want (don't need), but shy away from spending a couple thousands on something that can save their life someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

I cannot understand the folly of enforcing helmets for only the rider, while his dependants go without helmets. Yes, I said 'dependants' in the plural, due to our propensity to load an entire family onto two wheels.
+1.

From what I've seen (personal observation, no data to backup claim), pillion riders are prone to being flung from bikes in case of an incident (esp. frontal collisions) due to raised pillion seats on modern bikes and also because pillion riders aren't holding onto anything substantial to halt their inertial momentum. Pillions also seem more susceptible to follow-on incidents (others around not reacting in time to the original incident and inadvertently causing secondary injuries).

I've seen plenty of incidents where the pillion came out worse than the rider in an incident.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st September 2014 at 19:14.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 19:00   #16164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Cause of their amusement: We're both wearing proper helmets.
The riders who truly love their partners ensure they are both wearing helmets.

I cannot understand the folly of enforcing helmets for only the rider, while his dependants go without helmets. Yes, I said 'dependants' in the plural, due to our propensity to load an entire family onto two wheels.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 20:18   #16165
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a clip on a news channel about how people moved a bus to rescue a 2 wheeler crushed under it. It claimed this was during rush hour in pune. Anyone got some more info about this?
Old 1st September 2014, 22:23   #16166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
It claimed this was during rush hour in pune. Anyone got some more info about this?
NDTV was showing video clip of the same.
Details here.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:09   #16167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Saw a clip on a news channel about how people moved a bus to rescue a 2 wheeler crushed under it. It claimed this was during rush hour in pune. Anyone got some more info about this?
Sometime we feel sad that destiny played a part in snatching away one's life. How about this??
Old 5th September 2014, 17:03   #16168
BHPian

Got this through my friend. Apparently crashed into road divider. Not much info about occupants. Judging by the blood marks, surveyors doubtful. Again and again it has been said "Wear Seat Belts".

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car-3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car-4.jpg
Old 5th September 2014, 17:26   #16169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Got this through my friend. Apparently crashed into road divider. Not much info about occupants. Judging by the blood marks, surveyors doubtful. Again and again it has been said "Wear Seat Belts".
Gory pictures. I doubt if there were any survivors out of this. Looks like a commercial taxi/ cab by the side yellow licence plate.
Old 5th September 2014, 19:33   #16170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post

Attachment 1283260

Attachment 1283261

Attachment 1283262

Attachment 1283263
God help those who were inside. When will we see Airbags & ABS becoming mandatory. Just annoying to see lives damaged in such a way.

Most Viewed