Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2014, 17:02   #16216
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Boring, sensible answer is that it should never have been there! Looks like it was set up. with video coverage aranged, and the whole thing is crazy.

Unless, of course, the flood increased substantially after the crossing started. That could well be the answer.

Anyway, it was a well-crafted, possibly life-svaing escape.
Old 11th September 2014, 23:43   #16217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Boring, sensible answer is that it should never have been there! Looks like it was set up. with video coverage aranged, and the whole thing is crazy.

Unless, of course, the flood increased substantially after the crossing started. That could well be the answer.

Anyway, it was a well-crafted, possibly life-svaing escape.
As the audio in the video suggests that this is somewhere in the middle east. It is quite a common phenomenon in the middle east. Flash floods. When you start on the other side, its just wet or bone dry.. but even before you reach the other side, it becomes a raging river.
Old 12th September 2014, 21:54   #16218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Flash floods. When you start on the other side, its just wet or bone dry.. but even before you reach the other side, it becomes a raging river.
Ye gods. And people must know how to best attempt to handle it. Or else: natural selection
Old 12th September 2014, 23:29   #16219
Distinguished - BHPian

This was also an accident :

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-carpics-023.jpg

(Car and Bike International, August, 1987)
Old 13th September 2014, 08:25   #16220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Got this through my friend. Apparently crashed into road divider. Not much info about occupants. Judging by the blood marks, surveyors doubtful. Again and again it has been said "Wear Seat Belts".
Bangalore Mirror is reporting that the engineers responsible for leaving the divider unpainted leading to this accident have been arrested.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/42380011.cms
Old 13th September 2014, 08:47   #16221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Both!
The vehicle is supposedly a Bolero, and the driver needs to be congratulated for not losing his nerve!
Anup Sir,look again; this is not india forget about the vehicle being a bolero.
Old 13th September 2014, 08:54   #16222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Bangalore Mirror is reporting that the engineers responsible for leaving the divider unpainted leading to this accident have been arrested.

I just read it. It's a welcome move and hopefully it will make those responsible for upkeep of the roads to be more careful.

The same news piece also says that engineers across the country are planning a protest against this country. Typical of government officers to avoid accountability.
Old 13th September 2014, 09:26   #16223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Anup Sir,look again; this is not india forget about the vehicle being a bolero.
That may be so, but I have bigger problems; I got a crick in my neck seeing that video!

Regardless of where it is and which car it is I am amazed that the engine kept running! Of course the driver undoubtedly possesses nerves of steel!
Old 13th September 2014, 11:28   #16224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydude View Post
I just read it. It's a welcome move and hopefully it will make those responsible for upkeep of the roads to be more careful.

The same news piece also says that engineers across the country are planning a protest against this country. Typical of government officers to avoid accountability.
It is disgusting to note that these so called engineers do not use their common sense while designing flyovers and we the public have to pay the price for their foolish acts.
By trying to plan a protest are they trying to wash off their hands over the accountability aspect??. Same case with doctors as well.
Old 13th September 2014, 14:19   #16225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
It is disgusting to note that these so called engineers do not use their common sense while designing flyovers and we the public have to pay the price for their foolish acts.
Even approach to agara flyover is so poorly designed that in the night it's difficult to notice the thin wall between flyover n side lane especially if one is behind a large truck/bus.

Its a common practice to make a clearly demarcated side lane before approach to any flyover but there are flyovers on ORR where this is not yet made including the one where the ghastly accident happen earlier.

It's absolutely correct of cops to make engineers accountable for this lapse which resulted in deaths.
Old 13th September 2014, 17:01   #16226
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Saw today morning near JNU intersection. ..
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1410607837580.jpg  

Old 13th September 2014, 17:42   #16227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

What kind of metal is that on the fender and bonnet?

Sorry for my ignorant levels in vehicular construction but the body seems to be too delicate.

IMO, one pole and.... Look at the fog lamp!

Anurag.
I think it's the shock absorbing body seen crumpled. Using a thicker or non crumpling structure would just pass on the impact to the rest of the body, or worse, the occupants.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 18:40   #16228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Saw today morning near JNU intersection. ..

Looks like the Xylo turned turtle, as the roof seems to have flattened down. Two ton load on the pillars is a bit too much I guess. Hope no casualties.
Old 13th September 2014, 19:12   #16229
BHPian

Quote:

My relatives were in this ill-fated cab. It's an unbearable loss.
Old 13th September 2014, 21:14   #16230
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydude View Post
Even approach to agara flyover is so poorly designed that in the night it's difficult to notice the thin wall between flyover n side lane especially if one is behind a large truck/bus.

Its a common practice to make a clearly demarcated side lane before approach to any flyover but there are flyovers on ORR where this is not yet made including the one where the ghastly accident happen earlier.
I dont know who approved the flyover designs of all those flyovers between marathalli and silk board which were constructed in 2011. In all of them , the motorists will have to be at the rightmost lane if they want to avoid this flyover, which is actually wrong and against the basic rules of road design . They have to be at the left most lane if they want to avoid the flyovers and go below it. This causes immense confusion and such severe accidents. I have drawn two pics to indicate this.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wrong_flyover_design.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-right_flyover_design.jpg  

n_naik is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed