Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2014, 15:53   #16291
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
with area around A pillar taking much of the impact.
Quickly followed by the arms, chest, neck and head of the driver and passenger. Even with airbags. Even with seat belts.

Grim. Horrific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Thats some serious damage for a bike to cause. Which bike, and at what speeds?
Isn't it mostly broken plastic?

I;ve always thought it's a bit daft that "bumpers" are not actually designed to survive bumps at more than about walking speed. Maybe its necessary for sacrificial zones.
Old 1st October 2014, 09:38   #16292
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this tipped over truck today morning near Accounts Office, Victoria Road.

I think the truck was overspeeding when it approached the turn. Then tried to overcompensate and tipped over and fell on its side.

No idea about casualties/fatalities.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc-2.jpg  

Old 1st October 2014, 10:44   #16293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Quickly followed by the arms, chest, neck and head of the driver and passenger. Even with airbags. Even with seat belts.

I;ve always thought it's a bit daft that "bumpers" are not actually designed to survive bumps at more than about walking speed. Maybe its necessary for sacrificial zones.
Actually no.

The headlight in the swift is quite strong - normally only its mountings break (which are unrepairable!). I once had mine replaced under insurance. After the claim, the mechanics took a hammerto the old headlight. It needed more than a couple of solid blows to damage it. Given the shape of the headlight, its unlikely to bear as much direct force if a biker hits the car - the bumper should have taken the hit - the headlight should not have collapsed!
Old 1st October 2014, 12:47   #16294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I have found that bumpers normally can take quite an abuse without "distorting" or giving way, also the bonnet has also taken a hit. My SX4 rear bumper has taken quitea few bumps while reversing in the interiors of Kerala, where the roads are narrow. And quite recently it took a solid hit from an indigo (fastrack cab) to create a permanent dent, and cracks around the dent on the rear bumper. Still it we could partially bring it back to shape.
Old 1st October 2014, 15:34   #16295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The news article mentions that the driver fell asleep. Also at least from the look of it, I feel the vehicle went below the truck with area around A pillar taking much of the impact.
The article mentions that the vehicle hit the side railing as the driver dozed off and by the time he woke up it was too late as it crashed into the lorry.

Last night i drove back from chennai to bangalore. I did not cross 85 kmph throughout the journey. IMO any speed in excess of 100 is risky on indian highways. By going at 85-90 kmph, you get time to react in an emergency.
Old 1st October 2014, 15:41   #16296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
XUV crashes into stationary truck in Hyderabad ORR.

Attachment 1294374

Report says half of XUV went under the truck. Not sure if it had under-run protection bars.

Source: http://www.deccanchronicle.com/14093...cial-die-crash
This is heart wrenching. Looking at the XUV I think even if the truck had under run protection bars, it wouldn't have helped for such speeds.
Old 1st October 2014, 15:41   #16297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
In certain TV program a high speed (more than 100 KMPH) crash was tested on a Ford hatchback and the producers didn't even take the chances with expensive crash test dummies. The result was catastrophic with the car becoming 1.8 m long heap of mangled metal. The chance of survival in such crash was next to impossible.
It was Fifth Gear who crashed a Ford Focus which is the same as the First Ikon here, but in a hatchback avatar with Airbags. Test was done at 120 MPH, that's about 200 kmph just to see what happens when such a crash happens. Note that all modern cars are tested to be safe till 40 MPH or about 60 Kmph and anything after that is beyond the grasp of technology that is packed into each car. A must watch for people who believe that Airbags and Seat Belts in modern cars can do magic.

shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 16:45   #16298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
This is what happens when a drunkard on a bike hits a slow moving swift .
That hurts ! My car was a victim too of an insane and ignorant biker yesterday who darted across the road from a standstill, blissfully unaware of the vehicle coming on the opposite direction. He is fortunate not to have any damages while my wallet is set back by about 15k now.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20140930_111252.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20140930_111244.jpg  

Old 1st October 2014, 16:58   #16299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Test was done at 120 MPH, that's about 200 kmph just to see what happens when such a crash happens. Note that all modern cars are tested to be safe till 40 MPH or about 60 Kmph and anything after that is beyond the grasp of technology that is packed into each car. A must watch for people who believe that Airbags and Seat Belts in modern cars can do magic.
First things first - in the real world a head on clash both cars would invariable slam their brakes and swerve, so an impact at 200kmph is out of the question. Next - can any car survive a 200kmph crash?

And yes, in the real world Airbags, Seat Belts and ABS 'can' do the magic - the scope of that magic is limited to real world speeds as well.
pratyush6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 23:46   #16300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
And yes, in the real world Airbags, Seat Belts and ABS 'can' do the magic - the scope of that magic is limited to real world speeds as well.
Exactly. The video is put for the benefit of people in their Audi Q3s or Honda City doing 180+ kmph on the NICE road. I do the stretch from Kengeri to Electronic city a couple of times in a week and I have seen cars that are in much worse shape than that Fiesta.
Old 2nd October 2014, 00:17   #16301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Actually no.

The headlight in the swift is quite strong - normally only its mountings break (which are unrepairable!). ...
Hmmm, then I wouldn't like to be hit by a headlight! But I was looking at the bumper, etc, damage.

Quote:
I have found that bumpers normally can take quite an abuse without "distorting" or giving way, also the bonnet has also taken a hit. My SX4 rear bumper has taken quitea few bumps while reversing in the interiors of Kerala, where the roads are narrow. And quite recently it took a solid hit from an indigo (fastrack cab) to create a permanent dent, and cracks around the dent on the rear bumper. Still it we could partially bring it back to shape.
Also, I forgot to mention that bonnets are comparatively flimsy as am accident protection measure --- hence all the discussion about whether they should be pushed or dropped to close them

Unfortunately, bumpers are often more damaged than they look. They can spring back to a look of normality, but stuff can be broken inside. Sadly, I speak from experience.
Old 2nd October 2014, 11:32   #16302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
That hurts ! My car was a victim too of an insane and ignorant biker yesterday who darted across the road from a standstill, blissfully unaware of the vehicle coming on the opposite direction. He is fortunate not to have any damages while my wallet is set back by about 15k now.
15k?
For what?

Please get it repaired from outside. The damage is not much and any FNG will be able to put it back in shape for a couple of thousand bucks.
Old 2nd October 2014, 14:53   #16303
BHPian

Quote:

Thats some serious damage for a bike to cause. Which bike, and at what speeds?
The bike was a hero honda splendor.He was riding at around 80Kmph.The car was at 20Kmph. See the damage caused by the impact.Anyway the biker was alright.He walked away scratch less. The car had taken the hit so that the biker lived to tell the story to his kids.
Old 3rd October 2014, 02:05   #16304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
XUV crashes into stationary truck in Hyderabad ORR.

Attachment 1294374

Report says half of XUV went under the truck. Not sure if it had under-run protection bars.

Source: http://www.deccanchronicle.com/14093...cial-die-crash
One more picture from Eenadu, Horrific to say the least!

Link:
ShortShifter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 04:15   #16305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter View Post
One more picture from Eenadu, Horrific to say the least!
Looks very bad! No chance of survival for the passengers. But still one person was able to survive and it is said that she is out of danger. I wonder what the other occupants were doing when the driver of the vehicle started dozing off, as the incident said to have happened at 8.45 a.m.

Source link:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c.../43854813.cms?

Quote:
HYDERABAD: The wife, daughter and brother-in-law of joint commissioner of customs & central excise (Hyderabad), MVV Suryanarayana, died in a road mishap on the Outer Ring Road (ORR) at Shamshabad here on Monday morning.
The victims were Suryanarayana's wife Naga Ramalakshmi (53), their daughter Sindhura (19) and Ramalakshmi's brother Raju Mahender (50). Mahender's daughter Aparna suffered injuries in the accident and her condition is stated to be out of danger.

The family, which lives in Gachibowli here, met with the accident while they were bringing Sindhura, who was pursuing MBBS at a college in Rajahmundry, home for Dasara vacation. Mahender, who was driving the Mahindra SUV, dozed off at the wheel and the vehicle crashed into the rear portion of a stationary truck on the extreme left lane of the ORR at Gollapally near Shamshabad.

Shamshabad inspector K Uma Maheswara Rao said all three victims died on the spot. The incident occured at 8.45 am and police said the truck driver parked the vehicle on the extreme left lane of the ORR after he ran out of fuel. Police registered a case under section 304-A and 337 of the IPC.
One more point: Against whom were the cases filed? The driver of the XUV or of the lorry?

Most Viewed