Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2014, 11:07   #16351
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
A goat which was grazing on the grassy slope suddenly decides to run across the road giving me just enough time to make a quick right swerve. But unfortunately it was not enough to avoid the hit. Just as I was approaching the Dindigul bypass an NHAI pickup stopped me and told me they has received a call regarding a hit and run. They were demanding Rs.6000/-. I showed them the dash-cam footage and managed to get some leverage. After some negotiations finally agreed on Rs.2500/- and left.
Was that a hit-and-run accusation against a person, or the animal? If its an animal, its sheer stupidity. I don't see how hitting an untended animal becomes your fault.

You're lucky you had a dashcam to provide you evidence. I presume the reason you didn't outright refuse, or challenge the NHAI further was the presence of your family?

I just feel irritated that you were taken advantage of, for no fault of your own.
arunphilip is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 11:13   #16352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Was that a hit-and-run accusation against a person, or the animal? If its an animal, its sheer stupidity. I don't see how hitting an untended animal becomes your fault.

You're lucky you had a dashcam to provide you evidence. I presume the reason you didn't outright refuse, or challenge the NHAI further was the presence of your family?

I just feel irritated that you were taken advantage of, for no fault of your own.
See on Indian roads, might is right.
And when you are with family nothing else is more important.
And yes dash-cam is a must on our roads.
rajivr1612 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 11:21   #16353
BHPian

Wasn't there any alternative to paying 2500 to some NHAI parasites? Are they even cops?
I am guessing they did not give you a receipt:-)

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th October 2014 at 17:48. Reason: please avoid sms and slang language. Do read the rules. Next time will attract infraction. Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 11:22   #16354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Should I get it done at Toyota ASC with insurance or at some FNG.
I am not from Chennai but I’d recommend an FNG unless Toyota’s rates are cheaper and they deliver the car back quickly after the repairs. Do not worry about the dent on the bumper. The bumper can be restored back to the original shape by pushing it from the inside while applying heat using a hair dryer/heat gun.

Just in case, you are keen on getting it done yourself:

Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 11:25   #16355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
With due respect, I beg to differ.
Checking the road-worthiness of the vehicle before bringing it onto the road is driver's responsibility, towards other commuters who are also sharing the same road. This includes, and not limited to, checking the fuel, brakes, emission, tyre preassure and a host of other things. [Did you ever see commercial pilots doing rounds of the aircraft before embarking? Same thing is expected from each of us drivers. If not for our sake, for the sake of fellow road users at least]
Checking road worthiness is owner/transporter's responsibility and they are more concerned about the revenues.

Asking the truck drivers in India to have concerns for fellow road users will be asking for too much. They drive their trucks in such pathetic conditions (Hard uncomfortable seats, no AC, no power steering, long hours, police and authority apathy and corruption...) that they must be safely reaching their final destination solely based on the prayers they do before the journey.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 11:49   #16356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And yes dash-cam is a must on our roads.
Any recommendations? I've been thinking of getting one. Are these available online?
Old 8th October 2014, 11:55   #16357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Any recommendations? I've been thinking of getting one. Are these available online?
There are many available.
1. GoPro (pricey)
2. Blackvue DR500, DR550 series (pricey, comes with interesting features)
3. Livue LB100 (most VFM, IMO - a lot of features)
4. A lot of cheap Chinese stuff, most of them are based on the same chip inside, so image quality and features are identical (Was using one such dash-cam, until it died after serving for almost a year)

All of them are available online. Bought a DR500GW early this year off Amazon.com in Uncle Sam's land. Got it for a sweet deal, and happy with it.
silversteed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 12:10   #16358
BHPian

Quote:
Lots of them available online.
I purchased from ebay.in the following one:-
http://www.ebay.in/itm/301111879806?...84.m1439.l2649

The video quality and view angle is not that great, but its helpful. Just yesterday I saw Papago P1Pro on amazon.in selling for Rs.9000/-. Do check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Wasn't there any alternative to paying 2500 to some NHAI parasites? Are they even cops?
I am guessing they did not give u a receipt:-)
Hi, sadly under such situations there is no alternative. Those guys got off their pick-up and immediately started taking snaps of my car with a digicam. Told me that the owner of the goat is going to file a police complaint. I told them they can go ahead with the police complaint and that I have video evidence. That's when they agreed to negotiations.
Finally after payment was done I made them delete the snaps in their camera and one of the guy wrote a letter on a plain paper about the incident and that adequate compensation has been provided. Though it is clear that this letter not worth the paper it is written on.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th October 2014 at 22:13.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 12:22   #16359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
this is the one i use (so do a couple of other BHPians) - Mini 0801: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8/...cd-screen.html.

this is the updated version of the same - Mini 0803: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/6/...-a-screen.html.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 13:46   #16360
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics of Weird, Whacky & Funny stickers and badges on cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
A XUV wrapped (partly) in gold !
Attachment 1296883
That infact for a change looks nice.
Atleast nicer than those gaudy Beemers, Audis and Mercs that we have seen in the W&W Thread.

The wrap quality looks nice and the black and gold combo looks beautiful.
Old 8th October 2014, 18:04   #16361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
There are many available.
Adding Mobius and SJ4000 and SJ5000 to the list which costs less than 100$, they are having good reputation in the DIY community.
Old 8th October 2014, 18:57   #16362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I use Mini 0801, the one mentioned by IronH4WK above. You can find some sample videos/pics in my ownership thread below,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3458198
Old 8th October 2014, 21:43   #16363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

+1

I am astounded that NHAI officials were getting into an alleged hit-and-run case, and they persisted in fining you despite camera evidence.

I remember under the old NHAI Act, there was some provision for NHAI officials to fine cars for damage to a highway. Perhaps that is what they were getting at, (and not injury to a person - which only the police can do). Nonetheless its hugely infuriating if someone persists despite DVR evidence to the contrary.
Kumar R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 23:18   #16364
BHPian

This mishap happened to my colleague on his way back home from ASRAM Hospital, Elur. He was cruising steadily at 80-100 KMPH on NH-5, and rammed a truck from behind as the truck driver swerved into the right lane without any indication. The damage to the car was disastrous yet my colleague sustained just a few superficial abrasions, thanks to his practise of wearing seat belt. Repair costs are estimated to be around 100 grand.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140919_091143compressed.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140919_091149compressed.jpg  

Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 05:04   #16365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
This mishap happened to my colleague on his way back home from ASRAM Hospital, Elur. He was cruising steadily at 80-100 KMPH on NH-5, and rammed a truck from behind as the truck driver swerved into the right lane without any indication. The damage to the car was disastrous yet my colleague sustained just a few superficial abrasions, thanks to his practise of wearing seat belt. Repair costs are estimated to be around 100 grand.
Is that a Ford Figo? Looks the damage is very severe and did the bonnet area go under the truck?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks