Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2014, 20:41   #16381
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I was doing Chennai-Thiruvalla on 2nd Oct. I had just crossed the final toll before Dindigul bypass right turn and was doing about 70-80 and was on the left lane.
A goat which was grazing on the grassy slope suddenly decides to run across the road giving me just enough time to make a quick right swerve.
But unfortunately it was not enough to avoid the hit. I didn't stop at the spot since I was travelling with wife and kid.
Just as I was approaching the Dindigul bypass an NHAI pickup stopped me and told me they has received a call regarding a hit and run. They were demanding Rs.6000/-. I showed them the dash-cam footage and managed to get some leverage. After some negotiations finally agreed on Rs.2500/- and left.

I have had a similar experience of the 'flying' goat around the same section. If it is the trichy dindigul segment. I dint hit anything, stopped way ahead.

So, what does a toll road promise to provide? Are cattle allowed? Is there any written rules? Are employees of NHAI permitted to what they did? What if someone, in the attempt to avoid the trespassing goat crash his car and injure himself/his passengers, does the owner of the goat, pay for the damage? Is there someone from the NHAI in this forum? Please throw some light or direct us to what to expect.

(And try not to serve all of a sudden. Fighting instincts, but better chance of survival. Maynot be the same for the goat.)

Please share your views.
Old 10th October 2014, 20:54   #16382
BHPian

In some rural areas, it's a practice to get rid of old or sick animals by placing them in the way of fast moving vehicles and claim compensation from the driver. Not sure if that's the case here, but just one more detail to be kept in mind.
Raghav_K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 22:33   #16383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post

I have had a similar experience of the 'flying' goat around the same section. If it is the trichy dindigul segment. I dint hit anything, stopped way ahead.

So, what does a toll road promise to provide? Are cattle allowed? Is there any written rules? Are employees of NHAI permitted to what they did? What if someone, in the attempt to avoid the trespassing goat crash his car and injure himself/his passengers, does the owner of the goat, pay for the damage? Is there someone from the NHAI in this forum? Please throw some light or direct us to what to expect.

(And try not to serve all of a sudden. Fighting instincts, but better chance of survival. Maynot be the same for the goat.)

Please share your views.
Even I am not sure about answers to your query. There is no dearth of rules for sure. As has been repeated umpteen times, all of us along with our dear ones and our dear vehicle would like to escape unharmed in such situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
In some rural areas, it's a practice to get rid of old or sick animals by placing them in the way of fast moving vehicles and claim compensation from the driver. Not sure if that's the case here, but just one more detail to be kept in mind.
That's not the case here. I will try to upload the dashcam footage at the earliest.
Old 11th October 2014, 00:05   #16384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
So, what does a toll road promise to provide?
A booth to collect your toll, and another to take your ticket. That's all.

~
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 06:13   #16385
Distinguished - BHPian

Many such incidents happen and it is also incumbent on persons involved to pursue for their rights. NHAI or the toll concessionaire need to be brought to bear responsibility. The precedents can only be set by those involved or others can wait till it happens to them.

Alternatively such actions are taken by associations or lobby groups. Personally I do not know of any effective lobby group that is representing the road users. Can T-BHP start some such initiative?
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 07:05   #16386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Friends, please be careful of animals loitering near the roads even if it is quite far. In my case it was not even on the shoulder of the road but on the grassy slopes.

Thanks in advance.
Feel sorry for your loss of money in this case. I know that road you are talking about where there are at least 8-10 tolls. We pay so much already as toll charge and in addition to this we have to pay for dead animals crossing due to no fault of ours.

I'm not sure about the rules on highway about hitting animals. If someone could enlighten us it would be very helpful. If we are forced to pay for the animals death we might as well make a decent biriyani out of it next time
stanjohn123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 12:32   #16387
Senior - BHPian

Amir Khan in Satyamev Jayate took up road safety issue in today's episode. Hope this will have impact on at least 1% of total driving population!
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 16:36   #16388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
In the event of the animal getting killed by a passing vehicle, it is advisable for the driver to carry on and not stop. While driving to Tirunelveli from bangalore by car, near karur a goat suddenly strayed in my driving path. The end result the bull bar on my car hit the goat, it's body lifted off and landed on the road.
I was in 2 minds whether to stop the vehicle but the cleaner of a TATA ACE vehicle that was ahead of me, directed me to carry on.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 07:26   #16389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Is that a Ford Figo? Looks the damage is very severe and did the bonnet area go under the truck?
Yep, that's a Ford Figo indeed and as evident from the pics the damage was sorefully disastrous.

And yes, the bonnet area went kneading under the truck albeit the truck had an under run protection bar. Without that my colleague would've suffered some potentially lethal injuries. Thank god!
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 12:07   #16390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Amir Khan in Satyamev Jayate took up road safety issue in today's episode. Hope this will have impact on at least 1% of total driving population!
I feel inviting some one from Team-BHP as a guest speaker could have added more weightage as the amount of facts that we discuss as a part of this forum are so valuable and I don't see anyone whom I come across in my day to day life discussing these.

By the way, the show was too good. Hope it brings in some change across all levels.

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 13th October 2014 at 12:09.
Old 13th October 2014, 13:20   #16391
Senior - BHPian

those who have missed out this episode they can enjoy the same in the following link -
http://www.satyamevjayate.in/road-ac...-v1&lang=hindi
Old 13th October 2014, 14:15   #16392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The NHAI have no right to stop you. Their job is the maintenance and clearing up of debris.

I would have told them to call the police to register the case but again you had your family with you

Also if you hit goat, you would have had a lot of damage to your bumper including blood etc.
If I am right, hitting an animal on the road is not a crime at all. Maybe our legal experts here can clarify.

But my logic is based on the fact that the owners of the cattle/chicken etc cannot claim insurance or any government compensation, even if insured, in the case of a road kill (This am sure of)The livestock/pets are not supposed to be let loose on the road
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 14:19   #16393
BHPian

Read this in TOI today - Very Unfortunate - One thing which baffled me was - why did the police arrest the passengers?

Read on...

CHENNAI: Three people, including a pregnant woman, were killed when a car ran over the trio who were sleeping on a pavement at Bharathi Nagar in Velachery here on Monday morning.

Two of the deceased were identified as Arumugham, 34, and Aishwarya, 28, a pregnant woman. Police were yet to identify another deceased woman.

Anbu, a one-and-half-year-old son of Arumugham and Aishwarya, who was sleeping on the pavement, had a miraculous escape.

According to police, the car driver, who was apparently drunk, lost control of the vehicle when a cow came in his way and the car ran over the three people.

Arumugham and the unidentified woman died on the spot while Aishwarya died on the way to Government Royapettah Hospital (GRH).

The bodies were sent to the GRH for postmortem.

Anbu was handed over to the childline officials.

The driver and two passengers, who had been absconding, were arrested later.

Reference: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/44798806.cms
Old 14th October 2014, 14:29   #16394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Read this in TOI today - Very Unfortunate - One thing which baffled me was - why did the police arrest the passengers?
For abetting a crime - Letting a drunk person drive. He is equally guilty of the crime / accident.

I am happy that he was arrested too.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 14:41   #16395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
I feel inviting some one from Team-BHP as a guest speaker could have added more weightage as the amount of facts that we discuss as a part of this forum are so valuable and I don't see anyone whom I come across in my day to day life discussing these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
those who have missed out this episode they can enjoy the same in the following link -
http://www.satyamevjayate.in/road-ac...-v1&lang=hindi
Watched the show - noted something very interesting in the end. Did you guys notice the video played at the end of the episode? All belonged to accidents on Bangalore Roads

I was shocked to to see the video of no one helping the injured family on the road. He touched on the points of car safety briefly as well - only if our junta takes notice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks