Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2014, 11:54   #16441
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

The Innova is no Sumo to suffer no damage; almost the same or worse damage must have happened to it as well.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 08:54   #16442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
This is what an idiot driving Innova did to me in a 6 lane highway yesterday night while i was driving with my wife and two kids. I was on the middle lane doing 80 and this Innova came behind and started flashing headlights. The lanes on my left and right was empty and no other vehicles in vicinity. I thought he would take the right or left lane and hence i stuck to my lane. There he comes and hits me around my cars left front wheel and merrily goes without stopping. Luckily the hit was not very severe otherwise we would have lost control and may even have jumped the median. I gave a chase and caught him after 2 kms. I flashed my lights and honked but he did not stop. This chasing continued for 2 kms after which it started raining and i thought its not wise to chase him with my family in car and the time being past 9:30pm. We have noted his number. He took a left and vanished. At one point i was driving parallel with him honking and shouting to stop. The driver did not even turn. There was a passenger in the last row and he didnt even bother to look back while i flashed my lights. Now i need to spend from my pocket for no mistake of mine. Any use in complaining in any Chennai traffic police site? What would be the approximate cost to fix the damage in a body shop?
Glad to note you and your family are safe.Please file a complaint of hit and run case with the police and make sure he/she is punished for the crime.
Old 25th October 2014, 15:37   #16443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Glad to note you and your family are safe.Please file a complaint of hit and run case with the police and make sure he/she is punished for the crime.
IMO instead of going through legal hazzles it would be better for the victim to rectify the damage done to his vehicle through insurance means. It will be a pain taking this case legally especially hit and run
Old 25th October 2014, 20:17   #16444
BHPian

Something vaguely similar happened to me a year ago. My recommendation is to file an FIR asap. You don't need to do anything about it if you don't want the hassle. This in case the other person lodges an FIR claiming you were at fault and ran away. Your FIR puts you in a safe spot.

Who knows, but the other guy could try to scam you by lodging a hit-and-run FIR on you and exhorting money.
braindead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 21:06   #16445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Something vaguely similar happened to me a year ago. My recommendation is to file an FIR asap. You don't need to do anything about it if you don't want the hassle. This in case the other person lodges an FIR claiming you were at fault and ran away. Your FIR puts you in a safe spot.

Who knows, but the other guy could try to scam you by lodging a hit-and-run FIR on you and exhorting money.
I agree. I had an accident once that left me with a broken collar bone. My dad ensured that a FIR was registered immediately. The other guy involved visited the hospital where I was 2 days later and tried to extort money out of us. We showed him the FIR, couple of calls to the Police and he went away empty handed.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 21:42   #16446
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
hits me around my cars left front wheel and merrily goes without stopping. Luckily the hit was not very severe otherwise we would have lost control
  • Your guardian angel surely saved you in time. A lot could have gone wrong
  • Good thing is you and your family are physically unhurt and you've got his registration number
  • Such people really need to be put behind bars.
  • Was it a private vehicle or a Taxi?
  • Possibility of an error in judgement while overtaking on the left side? Could be a case of drunk driving
  • Forget the website of the Police; Go and complain directly
  • One thing that irritates me is, why didn't he overtake from the right side it it was empty?

Last edited by D4D : 25th October 2014 at 21:44.
Old 26th October 2014, 03:31   #16447
Distinguished - BHPian

Question for pisthpeeps : If you were on a highway middle lane, there was no other traffic, he over took you from left and came back to middle lane rather abruptly. Why did you not take evasive action? Swerved to right lane? Granted he was an idiot but...
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 14:20   #16448
BHPian

I almost made it to this thread this morning. A white, gujarat registered wagon r (with live to drive stickers) narrowly missed sideswipping me while I was riding back to Bombay from Charotti.

I was riding in the middle lane and there was an innova in the right most lane and a truck in the left lane. The wagon r squeezed into my lane to overtake the innova.

Guys, please be mindful of other people on the road and don't get so close. The left wing mirror came within a hairs width of hitting me and at speed, that's enough to knock you off your bike.
Old 26th October 2014, 14:54   #16449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was on the middle lane doing 80 and this Innova came behind and started flashing headlights. The lanes on my left and right was empty and no other vehicles in vicinity.
Why didn't you just move to the left most lane and let him pass by ? I know it does not justify his action but at least it would have spared you this loss.
Old 27th October 2014, 02:58   #16450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Why didn't you just move to the left most lane and let him pass by ? I know it does not justify his action but at least it would have spared you this loss.
Because it's overtaking traffic's job to overtake on the right-most lane. That's what the right-most lane is designated for.

Once you've completed the overtaking maneuver, in an ideal world, you'd merge back into the center lane.

This is sadly ignored by a fair few drivers, and is rather irritating, especially during highway driving.
Stiggy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 08:41   #16451
BHPian

Two Killed as BMW Hits Tree in Ludhiana, Car Breaks Into Three Pieces!

Quote:
LUDHIANA: Two people were killed while another was critically injured when their BMW car veered off the road and hit a road side tree on Sunday. The impact of the collision was such that the car broke into three pieces on Sarabha Nagar road, police said. Gagan Sharma and Rajjat Dua were killed in the accident, said Parmjit Singh Pannu, Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (ADCP). The owner of the car, Dhani Ram, who was rushed to a local hospital with multiple injuries, is stated to be in critical condition, the ADCP said. All of them were of the age group between 25 to 27 years. Police have registered a case and started investigations.

Source: NDTV.com

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 27th October 2014 at 08:43.
Old 27th October 2014, 08:50   #16452
BHPian

Quote:
This is what an idiot driving Innova did to me in a 6 lane highway yesterday...
My sympathies.

Quote:
We have noted his number...
Now i need to spend from my pocket for no mistake of mine. Any use in complaining in any Chennai traffic police site? What would be the approximate cost to fix the damage in a body shop?
I don't think you need to spend out of your pocket. Below are the links (from IRDA website) by which you can get the insurance policy details of the vehicle if you have his vehicle number. With this information, file an FIR and the company which has insured the Innova will bear the costs.

https://nonlife.iib.gov.in/IIB/PublicSearch.jsp

Last edited by GTO : 2nd April 2019 at 08:40. Reason: Inserting working link
sidhu_hs is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 10:22   #16453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
Replies in bold. Hope this helps.
With a few caveats.

Quote:
Search Guidelines
1. Registration Number has to be entered without any special characters E.g.(AP01AT1234). Entering of Registration Number is mandatory.
2. There is a time lag of two months in submission of policy data by insurers to Data Repository. As such there is a possibility of Insured Vehicles not appearing in the Data base.
3. In case of new vehicles, only Chassis and Engine Numbers are submitted by insurers at the time of issuing the policy.
4. The search is based on data submitted by insurers for the period starting from 1/4/2010.
5. For such vehicles where details are not available, the Querist may approach the concerned RTA for details of vehicle owner, address etc.
6. You will be allowed to search up to a maximum of 3 times for a particular mobile number or Email ID.
As per the 3rd point, it may not work if the vehicle is upto a year old.

Thanks for sharing the link though!
Old 27th October 2014, 10:25   #16454
BHPian

Some more pics of the BMW accident in ludhiana. As per the local police the car was being driven at speeds of 200 kmph when the driver lost control of the car & it hit a roadside tree & ended up into pieces. The car in question is said to be a BMW 320i.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10676209_10152568954471696_703680599336855975_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10702033_10152568954406696_9177641704422659745_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10153782_10152568954701696_7321637295644089185_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10389984_10152568954196696_7103242586870689635_n.jpg  

trinity0114 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 11:30   #16455
BHPian

Holy Smoke!!! 200 Kms???# I really have never seen a BMW crack up like this at least here in India. In fact its surprising that one person really got away with his life inspite of this unimaginable wrecking!! Wonder what gets into minds of people who drive these high end cars - Attitude? that makes them drive at 200Kms...I would want to sit in a BMW one day and experience what it feels like....grrrrr!!

Most Viewed