Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 11:48   #16456
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

At 200 kms per hour it is a surprise that there is anything left at all!
When will folks learn that one is not invulnerable sitting behind the steering wheel - whatever be the make of the car??
And what of the poor tree I wonder?
Old 27th October 2014, 12:04   #16457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
Because it's overtaking traffic's job to overtake on the right-most lane. That's what the right-most lane is designated for.

Once you've completed the overtaking maneuver, in an ideal world, you'd merge back into the center lane.

This is sadly ignored by a fair few drivers, and is rather irritating, especially during highway driving.
Yes , I know the rules too but what I'm trying to say was , since the OP's left lane was empty he could have just taken it to let the impatient idiot pass by as he was flashing his lights.

Not everyone driving in our roads drive with sense and road manners. We can let go of our ego in some places to avoid serious mishaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Holy Smoke!!! 200 Kms???#
In a BMW 200 is easily possible , what now our C segment cars getting close to such speeds. Also I have noticed an M badging on the 3rd photo , maybe this is the M3 model. Sad for all the terrible loss.

I was first speculating the Polices claims of 200 Kmph , but seeing a BMW in such condition I think they were going much faster than 200.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:15   #16458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Yes , I know the rules too but what I'm trying to say was , since the OP's left lane was empty he could have just taken it to let the impatient idiot pass by as he was flashing his lights.

Not everyone driving in our roads drive with sense and road manners. We can let go of our ego in some places to avoid serious mishaps.
That's why you'd notice I said "in an ideal world".
Old 27th October 2014, 12:43   #16459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Some more pics of the BMW accident in ludhiana. As per the local police the car was being driven at speeds of 200 kmph when the driver lost control of the car & it hit a roadside tree & ended up into pieces. The car in question is said to be a BMW 320i.
it was not just the BMW that was shredded into pieces.
Body parts of those killed were found scattered all over the place near the crash site.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:46   #16460
Team-BHP Support

The speedometer of BMW was stuck at 120kmph.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/20141027/ldh1.htm#1

I am guessing they were doing about 140-160, lost control and hit a tree.
200kmph? Nope.

That said, this road is narrow, and this stretch has speed breakers. Most probably they lost control after take off from a speed breaker.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 12:55   #16461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Body parts of those killed were found scattered all over the place near the crash site.
Cannot understand the logic as to why people have to go fast to reach their doom equally fast.
Old 27th October 2014, 13:04   #16462
BHPian

Quote:

In a BMW 200 is easily possible , what now our C segment cars getting close to such speeds. Also I have noticed an M badging on the 3rd photo , maybe this is the M3 model. Sad for all the terrible loss.

I was first speculating the Polices claims of 200 Kmph , but seeing a BMW in such condition I think they were going much faster than 200.
it indeed looks like an M3 as the second pic shows the front fender of the car which has an M sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
yes i have a pic of the scattered body parts lying on the road but i think some may find it inappropriate if i post it. I still cant believe how even the body parts got cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The speedometer of BMW was stuck at 120kmph.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/20141027/ldh1.htm#1

I am guessing they were doing about 140-160, lost control and hit a tree.
200kmph? Nope.

That said, this road is narrow, and this stretch has speed breakers. Most probably they lost control after take off from a speed breaker.
This road is narrow & dosent sees much traffic throughout the day. The speedbreakers are their but just before an intersection.
Old 27th October 2014, 13:17   #16463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
it indeed looks like an M3 as the second pic shows the front fender of the car which has an M sticker
It's old Gen - 320-D as per information from my known , there is a curve on this stretch where it went off .
Old 27th October 2014, 13:20   #16464
Distinguished - BHPian

One needs to be utterly brainless to try those speeds anywhere except the YEW , and that too only because it's enclosed,not because it's legal. It doesn't take big cajunas to step on the gas and get to that speed in a car for which it's pedestrian pace.
I suppose the passengers peddled their brains too at the same pawn shop.
Ages ago, a friend bought an optra, our group's first "big" car, and he tried showing off the acceleration and speeds and all. The rest of us made him stop, and left him at India gate to walk to my home till pandara. Never tried that again, at least with us.

Inexcusable.
mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 14:40   #16465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
Because it's overtaking traffic's job to overtake on the right-most lane. That's what the right-most lane is designated for.

Once you've completed the overtaking maneuver, in an ideal world, you'd merge back into the center lane.

This is sadly ignored by a fair few drivers, and is rather irritating, especially during highway driving.
Misunderstandings. If you remain in the middle lane and expect all overtakers to use the right-hand lane, then you are taking up 2/3rds of the road.

It is the job of overtaking traffic to move back to the left after overtaking. All the way. Unless it is occupied by other traffic , or dangerous in some way, the left-hand lane should be used.

If a person is leaving an empty, clear lane on their left they should not grumble if other traffic uses it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Some more pics of the BMW accident in ludhiana. As per the local police the car was being driven at speeds of 200 kmph when the driver lost control of the car & it hit a roadside tree & ended up into pieces. The car in question is said to be a BMW 320i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 14:43   #16466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Misunderstandings. If you remain in the middle lane and expect all overtakers to use the right-hand lane, then you are taking up 2/3rds of the road.

It is the job of overtaking traffic to move back to the left after overtaking. All the way. Unless it is occupied by other traffic , or dangerous in some way, the left-hand lane should be used.

If a person is leaving an empty, clear lane on their left they should not grumble if other traffic uses it.

Isn't it such that the lane at the very left be used for entering/exiting the expressway/highway?

I know I wouldn't want to be doing expressway speeds on the very left lane, especially on Indian highways where on-ramps and off-ramps aren't marked, nor does merging traffic care to stop and look before joining the road.
Old 27th October 2014, 15:50   #16467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

In a 3 lane road we occupy 2/3rd of the road irrespective of the lane we are in. Expecting all to use right most lane to over take is a sensible and logical thing IMO.

I agree we should not grumble if other traffic is using left lane to overtake but the overtaking vehicle should give sufficient warning before doing that.

Also, we must allow a person to overtake from right if we are on the right most lane and someone is honking/flashing lights to overtake, provided there is space to move to middle/left lane.
Old 27th October 2014, 17:31   #16468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Cannot understand the logic as to why people have to go fast to reach their doom equally fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
When will folks learn that one is not invulnerable sitting behind the steering wheel - whatever be the make of the car??
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Wonder what gets into minds of people who drive these high end cars - Attitude? that makes them drive at 200Kms...I would want to sit in a BMW one day and experience what it feels like....grrrrr!!
Ok guess we are going way off topic here but without a proper investigation we do not know who is at fault here. Being an old German car it could also have been a case of some electronic failure or unintended acceleration that could have caused this accident.

And even with a proper investigation I'm highly doubtful they will be able to find out anything wrong with the car (even if there was something wrong). So it's better we don't blame drivers in such kind of accidents.
Old 27th October 2014, 18:44   #16469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok guess we are going way off topic here but without a proper investigation we do not know who is at fault here. Being an old German car it could also have been a case of some electronic failure or unintended acceleration that could have caused this accident.

And even with a proper investigation I'm highly doubtful they will be able to find out anything wrong with the car (even if there was something wrong). So it's better we don't blame drivers in such kind of accidents.
'Proper investigation' is a remote possibility. Police is going to do the investigation as per the news reports. We do not have dedicated investigating agencies for road accidents.

Whatever it is, over speeding is definitely a reason here. The question is - what is the right age to realize that 'speed thrills but kills'?
Old 27th October 2014, 18:55   #16470
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with Sourabh...even if they car really had some fault, if they had gone with a controlled speed, I don't think they would have been in the news..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks