Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2014, 22:27   #16576
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I seem to recall something about multiple buses using the same registration. Some sort of scam...

Anyone?

(But this is not an accident, so offtopic)
Old 10th November 2014, 07:59   #16577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
This I think is a photoshop job. Maybe. Experts can tell, but I think the bus standing on the left (while viewing the photo) is the one with the correct number. That number plate has been copied to the bus on the right.
Being state transport buses, i agree, there were scams involving private buses though
Old 10th November 2014, 08:54   #16578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
This I think is a photoshop job. Maybe. Experts can tell, but I think the bus standing on the left (while viewing the photo) is the one with the correct number. That number plate has been copied to the bus on the right.
Doesn't look like a photoshop job to me . The alignment of the numbers seem to be different in both buses. The '8' below the 'H' or the '2' below the '0'

The numbers on these buses are painted on body of the buses. Quite likely a mistake be the painter that went unnoticed rather than a deliberate action given that these are state Govt. buses.
Old 10th November 2014, 08:55   #16579
BHPian

A "speeding" aeroplane in India killed a buffalo when it failed to give way to the animal on the middle of the runway.

Police has registered an FIR against the Pilot for negligence. The Pilot is absconding.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-spice.jpg  

Last edited by aerohit : 10th November 2014 at 08:58.
aerohit is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 09:31   #16580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I seem to recall something about multiple buses using the same registration. Some sort of scam...

Anyone?

(But this is not an accident, so offtopic)
This kind of scam is common on private bus operators. I remember quite some time back a bus operator named Puzhekadavil travels (Kerala based operator) shut shop due to this very reason.
Infact in bangalore i have seen buses operate to Hyderabad with Odisha registration. There are quite a number of buses with Odisha registration.

All this is being done to avoid paying tax.
Old 10th November 2014, 09:58   #16581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
A "speeding" aeroplane in India killed a buffalo when it failed to give way to the animal on the middle of the runway.
Police has registered an FIR against the Pilot for negligence. The Pilot is absconding.
Whoa !! The magnitude of damage is quite huge.
The Surat airport authority should be heavily fined and be made to compensate Spicejet for causing this damage due to ill maintenance.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 11:19   #16582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A "speeding" aeroplane in India killed a buffalo when it failed to give way to the animal on the middle of the runway. Police has registered an FIR against the Pilot for negligence. The Pilot is absconding.
Ha ha ha, priceless!! Couple more points are:
  • The 'driver' was drunk.
  • Bottles were found at the scene.
  • Witnesses said the vehicle was doing 200 km/h

Did the pilot have to pay any money to the runway caretakers, a la?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
A goat which was grazing on the grassy slope suddenly decides to run across the road giving me just enough time to make a quick right swerve... an NHAI pickup stopped me and told me they has received a call regarding a hit and run. After some negotiations finally agreed on Rs.2500/- and left.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 11:32   #16583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
This kind of scam is common on private bus operators.
Agree. And it's prevalent in Bangalore as well. Sadly, the hyperactive RTO sleuths turn a blind eye towards this (and many other violations of rules under the ambit of the RTO, by these private buses), for very obvious reasons.
Quote:
I remember quite some time back a bus operator named Puzhekadavil travels (Kerala based operator) shut shop due to this very reason.
May be. But there were other reasons as well.
Quote:
Infact in bangalore i have seen buses operate to Hyderabad with Odisha registration. There are quite a number of buses with Odisha registration.
Agree.
Quote:
All this is being done to avoid paying tax.
The last one, AFAIK, is not to avoid paying tax. There are restrictions on registering sleeper buses (those with a double berth on the right and a single berth on the left, all berths arranged longitudinally) in KA and AP. Hence, they get the buses registered in the nearest state that allows them to do so, take a permit for a quarter/year/month/whatever the period they choose to, in the states that the bus would travel, and then ply the bus.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 11:40   #16584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
There are restrictions on registering sleeper buses (those with a double berth on the right and a single berth on the left, all berths arranged longitudinally) in KA and AP. Hence, they get the buses registered in the nearest state that allows them to do so, take a permit for a quarter/year/month/whatever the period they choose to, in the states that the bus would travel, and then ply the bus.
How are the berth arrangements in KSRTC Corono and Ambari buses. I guess they must be the same as in private buses as well.
Old 10th November 2014, 12:12   #16585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How are the berth arrangements in KSRTC Corono and Ambari buses. I guess they must be the same as in private buses as well.
You have a point, and I do wonder how the KaSRTC manages to register their Corona (Ambari) and non-AC Sleeper buses.

However, I'm sure that the system is a little different, when it comes to yellow-boards running inter-state routes.
Old 11th November 2014, 03:28   #16586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Whoa !! The magnitude of damage is quite huge.
Its not actually. The covers for the engine accessories are removed and kept in on the ground. The nacelle seems totaled but I was expecting more damage after hitting the 200kg bovine at that speed.
Old 11th November 2014, 04:33   #16587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... after hitting the 200kg bovine at that speed.
I suppose I must have missed the details. What speed? And did the animal survive?
Old 11th November 2014, 12:22   #16588
BHPian

well, goats bolting across roads dashing cars and this did not go well with Bovinity.
As a result, a spectacular action was planned to hog the limelight and was guaranteed to be a 'runway' success.
The operation was planned to the minutest details keeping in mind to supersede the grandiose following the goat show in terms of:
1) vehicle make, capability, speed and cost
2) highest possible media intervention and publicity thereof
3) shock value comparable to 'virginal galactic' standards
4) to carve a niche and set a benchmark for related operations

The kamikaze buff(halo) master has been nominated for 'The flying grass' medal and will remain an inspiration in annals of traffic lore, for years to come.
Arun yadav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 13:54   #16589
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Earlier that week, a Spice Embraer took off from Indore and a jackal got wrapped around the front wheel. The pilot did not retract the wheels and circled back to land safely

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-jackal.jpg
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 17:11   #16590
Senior - BHPian

Lost a dear colleague to road accident on Friday.

He was traveling on an Activa where a Shine hit him from behind. The impact was severe and it was on the spot.

The pics are gruesome and hence Mods may object to it on being posted.
Heart goes out to his family.

Most Viewed