Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2014, 17:17   #16591
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Lost a dear colleague to road accident on Friday.

He was traveling on an Activa where a Shine hit him from behind. The impact was severe and it was on the spot.

The pics are gruesome and hence Mods may object to it on being posted.
Heart goes out to his family.
My heart felt condolences to the bereaved family. May his soul RIP.

Did your friend fall off the 2 wheeler as a result of the impact and hit the ground. Was he wearing a helmet or was he run over by another vehicle coming in the opposite direction or from behind?
Old 11th November 2014, 17:18   #16592
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He was traveling on an Activa where a Shine hit him from behind. The impact was severe and it was on the spot.
Was he wearing a helmet? Sorry for asking this and I am sure it doesn't mean anything now but just curious since you mentioned he expired on the spot.

R.I.P.
Old 11th November 2014, 17:19   #16593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Was he wearing a helmet? Sorry for asking this and I am sure it doesn't mean anything now but just curious since you mentioned he expired on the spot.

R.I.P.
Dear Gannu

He was a Punjabi so was wearing the Turban.

Helmet should have saved him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
My heart felt condolences to the bereaved family. May his soul RIP.

Did your friend fall off the 2 wheeler as a result of the impact and hit the ground. Was he wearing a helmet or was he run over by another vehicle coming in the opposite direction or from behind?
Due to the impact, he got thrown from the Activa.

Head hit the divider and the impact was severe. He got hit from behind by a Honda Shine at a high speed.
The Shine person was also serious but at least alive.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th November 2014 at 18:09. Reason: Back to back post
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 06:57   #16594
BHPian

Just noticed a White Innova (private plates) perched across the divider in the Chennai Porur Bypass. Was travelling to office and could not click on time. Anyone notice it..??
Old 12th November 2014, 09:51   #16595
BHPian

Quote:
He was a Punjabi so was wearing the Turban.

Helmet should have saved him.
Sad to hear about your colleague.
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
Just noticed a White Innova (private plates) perched across the divider in the Chennai Porur Bypass. Was travelling to office and could not click on time. Anyone notice it..??
Though we don't know the real cause behind this accident, its a fact that cellphones usage is increasing number of such accidents.

Here is another good video on spreading message against cellphone usage while driving:

tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 11:09   #16596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Its not actually. The covers for the engine accessories are removed and kept in on the ground. The nacelle seems totaled but I was expecting more damage after hitting the 200kg bovine at that speed.
I read in an article that the bull was hit just 500m into the takeoff roll. Since the runway was unlit and the bull also was black, they couldn't spot it until they hit the animal. If this had happened at a higher speed, or after V1, it would have been tragic IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I suppose I must have missed the details. What speed? And did the animal survive?
They couldn't declare which animal exactly hit the aircraft for sometime. The news flash just read aircraft hits animal and aborts takeoff. Only after sometime they came to know it was a bull or a buffalo. Actually a herd of three buffaloes had strayed into the airport area.

On a lighter note I think the pilots would have been made to pay the owner of the buffalo

http://avherald.com/h?article=47ced020&opt=0

Last edited by audioholic : 12th November 2014 at 11:10.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 13:11   #16597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
I travelled by the same road 30 mins ago on my way to office, did not notice anything. Where exactly did this happen ? My circuit is from Maduravoyal till the toll where I take a U turn to reach the Porur link road.
Old 13th November 2014, 09:53   #16598
BHPian

RIP pillion. Wish a speedy recovery for the rider. Is it time to make helmet compulsory for the pillion as well?
This is 3rd documented incident of 390 accident this month.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20141113wa0001.jpg  

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 13th November 2014 at 09:56.
Old 13th November 2014, 10:04   #16599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
RIP pillion. Wish a speedy recovery for the rider. Is it time to make helmet compulsory for the pillion as well?
This happened exactly a KM after the lay bye. I passed this section around 08-45pm with crawling traffic and noticed on Google maps that both the corridors were jammed only for a particular stretch on BETL and I assumed that to be some accident.

When I inched closer, I could notice a truck with the KTM loaded on it and a Traffic Police Bolero on the opposite corridor with lot of cops trying to discuss and capture a few things on their registers. With so much presence, I could only guess that the accident may have been fatal.

My condolences to the departed soul.

One of the biggest dangers lurking on these narrow elevated roads is parked vehicles due to breakdown.

In fact only yesterday, the jam started soon after the right handed curve near the lay bye and it came as a real surprise when I could notice stationary vehicles all of a sudden. I can only imagine what would be the case of the biker who may have noticed a parked truck under darkness (street lights here are seldom functional).

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th November 2014 at 10:29.
Old 13th November 2014, 10:19   #16600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This happened exactly a KM after the lay bye. I passed this section around 08-45pm with crawling traffic and noticed on Google maps that both the corridors were jammed only for a particular stretch on BETL and I assumed that to be some accident.

When I inched closer, I could notice a truck with the KTM loaded on it and a Traffic Police Bolero on the opposite corridor with lot of cops trying to discuss and capture a few things on their registers. With so much presence, I could only guess that the accident may have been fatal.

I was travelling towards Silk board at the same time and saw the KTM on the surveillance truck and some cops on the other side.
Didn't know it was a fatal accident. RIP the departed soul.
Old 13th November 2014, 16:24   #16601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it time to make helmet compulsory for the pillion as well?
Of Course! Since when was the passenger's head any less fragile than the driver's!

But I do worry about these news reports of bike accidents. I always read that a car/van/bus has rammed a two-wheeler, and I never read that a two-wheel has carelessly and rashly cut across another vehicle, thus causing the accident in which one or more people died. There is something wrong with that always/never proportion.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th November 2014 at 16:27.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 16:45   #16602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

One of the biggest dangers lurking on these narrow elevated roads is parked vehicles due to breakdown.

In fact only yesterday, the jam started soon after the right handed curve near the lay bye and it came as a real surprise when I could notice stationary vehicles all of a sudden. I can only imagine what would be the case of the biker who may have noticed a parked truck under darkness (street lights here are seldom functional).
Was the bike speed a major factor here. It makes sense to ride slow on the left lane in case the road lightings are poor.
Old 13th November 2014, 17:23   #16603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Was the bike speed a major factor here. It makes sense to ride slow on the left lane in case the road lightings are poor.
Not sure about this at all as the bike was already on the truck and I didn't notice any other vehicle.
Back to back since last 2 days I witnessed the aftermath of 2 accidents which resulted in deaths. There was one more exactly around same time on day before where a Silver Alto soon after getting down from BETL (Towards Silkboard) had hit a pedestrian and traffic was held up for a while. Only when I inched closer, I could notice people shifting the victim onto the rear seat of the Alto and 2 people (never looked like ruffians to me) squeezing into the co-passenger's seat in the front.

As the Alto started moving, I overtook that and realized that it has a broken windscreen with a huge dip along with a dent on the bonnet indicating that the pedestrian may have flew onto the windscreen after colliding.

Sadly, when I read the newspaper today, I realized that it was the same accident at Rupena Agrahara and the victim succumbed to his injuries.
Old 13th November 2014, 17:39   #16604
BHPian

A brand new,unregistered TATA Zest burnt in Pune . Running car stat burning immediately. No idea if it was a petrol or Diesel model.

No injury reported.

some of the clicks.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20141113_164154.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20141113_164311.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20141113_164315.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20141113_164609.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20141113_164704.jpg  

Last edited by KALINGA : 13th November 2014 at 17:42.
KALINGA is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 17:41   #16605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday morning, my colleague mentioned an accident on the BETL flyover which involved a two wheeler. It happened on Tue evening and he was mentioning that the rider had busted his knee cap badly and was bleeding profusely from his injuries. He was screaming in pain and was shifted into an ambulance.

My first thought when i saw this article was if this was the same incident my colleague was referring to but it happened on the previous day.

May the departed soul rest in peace and the injured recover soon.

Most Viewed