Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2014, 18:07   #16606
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
On a lighter note I think the pilots would have been made to pay the owner of the buffalo

http://avherald.com/h?article=47ced020&opt=0
Most of the online media reporting this incident mention plane hits buffalo. Should it not read Buffalo comes in the Runway in the take-off path of the airplane?

The way news item reads is that the plane is at fault. Actually, it is fault of the owner for letting it stray and also the Airport Security / Management for not detecting it.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 18:14   #16607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Most of the online media reporting this incident mention plane hits buffalo. Should it not read Buffalo comes in the Runway in the take-off path of the airplane?
Remember, it is always the bigger one at fault. So the Plane indeed hits the buffalo.

Now if the same buffalo after getting hit by the plane gets dragged and in-turn hits a puppy sitting on the lawn next to the runway, obviously the buffalo is at fault.

It is only incidental that the plane was designed to appear bigger than the cattle here.
paragsachania is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 18:50   #16608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
A brand new,unregistered TATA Zest burnt in Pune . Running car stat burning immediately. No idea if it was a petrol or Diesel model.

No injury reported.

some of the clicks.
Great to know that no one was injured.

But this incident is of serious concern, after all that happened with Nano earlier. I hope it is not due to a faulty design issue, if so this would be second issue with Zest, first being mud in the bay issue.

Being a Zest owner and Tata admirer, I seriously hope this is nothing serious.
isandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 19:33   #16609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Indian news media can be awarded for its lack of basic research and common sense, which is the prime requirement for their profession. All they can do is convert samosa into samosa chat and sell it for a greater price. They have no idea of what the samosa is, or how it is prepared. If someone complains, they just add some extra masala or some chutney.

Though the above relation looks stupid, at first they claimed that the propeller of the aircraft was damaged. That time I thought it was a dash 8 and not the Boeing. The next news flash was 'Spicejet's boeing 737 was damaged. Made me go online and check what plane was to depart Surat and then only come to know it was a 737. Same was when their reporter called right from the airport and that the propeller and the body also suffered damages.

They needn't know what the specs of the aircraft are, but at least they should know what aircraft, and what's a propeller. That's why the headlines too are of the same quality. I would have expected it to read 'Buffalo strays onto runway, pilots avert major mishap,

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Remember, it is always the bigger one at fault. So the Plane indeed hits the buffalo.

Now if the same buffalo after getting hit by the plane gets dragged and in-turn hits a puppy sitting on the lawn next to the runway, obviously the buffalo is at fault.

It is only incidental that the plane was designed to appear bigger than the cattle here.

Hahaha Not sure when such kind of stuff gets abolished, right from the law to the news to peoples mindset.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 19:34   #16610
BHPian

Quote:
A brand new,unregistered TATA Zest burnt in Pune . Running car stat burning immediately.
A few more incidents like this is enough to kill the sales of this car which is picking up steam now
Zest will also go down the drain like the nano, I the above happens.
Hoping that the incident was a one off case.
Old 13th November 2014, 20:40   #16611
BHPian

Got to know about this incident through a FB post:

Link to the FB post : https://www.facebook.com/ayroor/posts/787852081283791

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10649901_787850594617273_8912380266067660526_n2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10393893_787850397950626_6518036387612163040_n1.jpg
Old 13th November 2014, 20:48   #16612
Senior - BHPian

An accident that occurred near Karur. Sources say 6 people died from the supposed 11 that were in the car.

Looks like the driver(who survived) was speeding excessively.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11karurcaraccident4600.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11karurcaraccident6600.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-kr11car2_2198849f.jpg

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle6590080.ece
Old 13th November 2014, 21:12   #16613
Senior - BHPian

Not sure where to post this, or if it has been posted here or elsewhere. But this is relevant and needs a discussion on T-BHP.

http://www.financialexpress.com/arti...-maruti-chief/

"He (RC Bhargava) said that if carmakers incorporate such (safety) features in even entry-level cars, obviously the price would go up, which would lead consumers to opt for two-wheelers, which would be more unsafe."
Old 13th November 2014, 22:14   #16614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A brand new,unregistered TATA Zest burnt in Pune . Running car stat burning immediately. No idea if it was a petrol or Diesel model.

No injury reported.

some of the clicks.
Was supposed to be Tata's comeback launch pad. Don't know what or who was at fault - the fire evidently originated from the engine bay.

Without casting any aspersions on the quality of Tata cars (the Zest included) and without knowing the causative factors for the fire incident, I can definitely say that negative publicity will now commence, that can ruin a brand.

Meanwhile, here are some pictures of an Ambassador taxi which hit the divider in front and was rear ended by a bus and some taxis in South Kolkata - pics from FB.

The passenger cabin is intact. Though the body does not have any crumple zones like the new cars (nobody thought of such things in the 1950's) , the sturdiness of this car will shame many newer B and C segment cars. Imagine if any new B or C segment car either from brands Maruti or Hyundai was here in its place.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-a1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-a2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-a3.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th November 2014 at 22:33.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 23:24   #16615
BHPian

A few days back, I was rear ended by a scooter rider near a tech park entry gate (Sorry, no pics. Posting it here since this was an accident I experienced, first hand). I was on the narrow, 2 wheeler only lane and had slowed down to around 5 km/h to take a speed breaker. Some guy in activa hit me which propelled my bike to 20+ km/h instantly as I had squeezed the clutch lever. This sudden, unexpected speed pushed me to the next lane. Thankfully, I didn't fall and my bike didn't even get a scratch. But if some car driver was coming in the next lane. Things would have been a bit more serious.

If these 'engineers' themselves don't have the common sense to slow down at an entry gate and be alert when riding/driving, I don't know what we can expect from auto drivers, cabbies and heavy vehicle drivers.
There is a 90 degree turn before the entry gate that should make people slow down too. The last time I had checked the mirrors(before taking the speed breakers), there was no one behind me. So the guy had way more than 5 seconds of time to slow down too.

After that, I feel a lot more scared to ride to office on the death trap called Outer Ring Road.
The number of cars is increasing at a steady pace everyday and most of these drivers have zero patience and zero sense. These drivers combined with the cabbies, tempos and office buses(particularly 'Infant's') are making the commute, a nightmare. These guys can't bear it if a biker rides in the middle of a lane. They want the bikers to split the lanes. If you don't, they bully you and push you to the side by forcing their car's nose very close to you.
To avoid all these, If I decide to take the left lane and ride slow, I'll keep on encountering these idiot Tempo Travellers and Indicabs who stop suddenly without indications to pickup passengers. The center lane is the de facto overtaking lane here due to the right lane hogging trucks and buses and people do 80+ on this lane. If I decide to cruise on the right lane behind the hoggers, some cabbie starts tailgating with only half a bike's length at 50 km/h. It's scary to think what might happen if a car rear ends me like that scooter rider, that too at 50+, especially since mobile usage is more common among car drivers, esp. cabbies. I keep on seeing so many close calls everyday due to tailgating and these people never seem to learn.
Sorry for the OT part.

Last edited by theredliner : 13th November 2014 at 23:32.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 00:08   #16616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post

If these 'engineers' themselves don't have the common sense to slow down at an entry gate and be alert when riding/driving, I don't know what we can expect from auto drivers, cabbies and heavy vehicle drivers.
we have become extremely intolerant as a society.

Quote:
After that, I feel a lot more scared to ride to office on the death trap called Outer Ring Road..
As a sincere advice, when on a two wheeler stick to the left. I am a victim of yielding to all bikers who feel it is all right to ride on the shoulder of a car. They simply don't understand how dangerous it can be.
On the ORR stretch > it is by far the most dangerous Road on bangalore as far as I am concerned. You see someone banged up everyday there.

Last edited by Stratos : 14th November 2014 at 08:58. Reason: Quote tag fixed.
Old 14th November 2014, 03:58   #16617

Quote:

No injury reported.

some of the clicks.
I was there when this happened. The car was been driven from the stockyard to Concorde motors, by one of their drivers. Its the new Revotron 1.2 turbo manual gearbox petrol engine and a pre-delivery unregistered car, so someone may be getting their delivery late.

As the driver entered the underpass he noticed smoke from the engine and stopped to inspect. In a matter of seconds the entire underpass was full of black smoke and the fire engulfed the engine bay. As luck was good at the time of the incident a water tanker was passing by and on the request from the crowd it helped in dousing the fire. The entire facade lasted for about 20 mins. The last picture shows the car out of the underpass and it was then pushed to Concorde Motors. Couldn't they have towed it from there? Concorde Motors is a good half a kilometer from there.
The police only arrived in the form of two motorcycle patrol personal. No fire brigade.

People in Pune have gone nuts.. People could clearly see a car burning and instead of stopping at a safe distance they decided on get in to the opposite side of the underpass(Which is a one way traffic only) and cross to the other side. Add to this they wanted to take their own sweet time to cross as they wanted to see the burning car as well. This not only created a traffic jam, but had there been any injured person who needed an ambulance or the fire brigade to dowse the flames, help would not have reached the spot. And if the car had to explode at least 8 to 10 vehicles would have been damaged and a good 50 odd people injured.

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Stratos : 14th November 2014 at 11:50.
yugenlee888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 07:52   #16618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The passenger cabin is intact. Though the body does not have any crumple zones like the new cars (nobody thought of such things in the 1950's) , the sturdiness of this car will shame many newer B and C segment cars. Imagine if any new B or C segment car either from brands Maruti or Hyundai was here in its place.
Sorry, but that Ambassador won't be able to save people from injury. Being too sturdy and rigid is no good for safety. All the shock from the impact is passed directly to passengers and it will do the human body no good. A sad example will be Gopinath Munde' accident. The SX4 cabin was intact in that case but he passed away due to multiple internal injuries and a cardiac arrest.

What is required is crumble zones which will absorb the shock effectively by deforming and transferring as little energy into the cabin as possible. And a cabin which can maintain its integrity.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 09:15   #16619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugenlee888 View Post
The car was been driven from the stockyard to Concorde motors, by one of their drivers. Its the new Revotron 1.2 turbo manual gearbox petrol engine and a pre-delivery unregistered car, so someone may be getting their delivery late.
Well, better that it was an as-yet undelivered car, rather than an owner's new car causing him/her a lot of anguish. Any owner would be seriously gutted if this happened to their new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugenlee888 View Post
And if the car had to explode at least 8 to 10 vehicles would have been damaged and a good 50 odd people injured.
While I don't think there's much risk of explosion, I do agree with the sentiment that these people gaping and milling around will hinder the efforts of any emergency services, or do-gooders.
Old 14th November 2014, 12:18   #16620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Not sure where to post this, or if it has been posted here or elsewhere. But this is relevant and needs a discussion on T-BHP.

http://www.financialexpress.com/arti...-maruti-chief/

"He (RC Bhargava) said that if carmakers incorporate such (safety) features in even entry-level cars, obviously the price would go up, which would lead consumers to opt for two-wheelers, which would be more unsafe."

Surprised to see him talk about this way.
Quote:
Nobody has yet proved that unsafe cars are the reason for higher road fatalities,” he said, adding that most companies now offer airbags in the top variants of all car models, so if buyers drive on highways at higher speeds, they can buy that version.
UnQoute

These days the cities are even more dreadful, and need as much of safety features as technology can provide. Also if it does raise the cost so be it. I am not sure why he calls it- Indian conditions!! The reason 2 wheelers are more risky is generally they are abused or other road users have scant regards for rules and fellow road users and as such should not be using the road.

This needs to be corrected by clamping down severly on road rules violations. Its not that everyone owns a car in all countries. Take the case of UK or Singapore, if they cannot afford a car, they dont buy it. It does not mean that they load the whole family and friends on a puny 100cc bike and ride like there is no tomorrow. They opt for public transport or alternate modes of transport. I dont think, a person who is from the automobile industry should downplay the importance of safety. Then how do we expect the lay person to beleive in it??

If nothing else, there should be an option to provide it, should the consumer want it. Why is it reserved for the highend models only. Are the users of basic cars lesser mortals, and their life has no value? In fact it was their company that changed the trend of getting ABS and Airbags in the sub 10 lac cars when SX4 ZXI came with both the features, and today almost all top variants from them have it(except for 800 and K10). They should not be creating variants based on the safety features. If that is the arguement why have seatbelts, removing it could save some costs
raghu.t.k is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks