Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 13:19   #16666
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Here's the accident that's doing rounds in all major Kerala papers today.
And no details of what actually happened?

No point in the speculation unless we know what it hit, or what hit it...
Old 18th November 2014, 13:21   #16667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Was the rover equipped with air bags. ... May be that could have saved the driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
As the video posted in the above post shows, Airbags would be pretty ineffective if the front A pillar itself takes a direct hit and impacts the driver or front passenger.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 13:57   #16668
BHPian

Quote:
Was the rover equipped with air bags. I don't see them. May be that could have saved the driver.
Well, I doubt if airbags could have helped in a situation where the pillars got crushed.
The shear forces involved are just way too much for a top NCAP rater to be of any help. ( not sure if rollover cages could help here)
I would only term it as situational suicide - because the most critical safety feature i.e the driver erred here ( falling asleep on the wheel is never an accident but negligence).
Old 18th November 2014, 16:06   #16669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun yadav View Post
Well, I doubt if airbags could have helped in a situation where the pillars got crushed.
The shear forces involved are just way too much for a top NCAP rater to be of any help. ( not sure if rollover cages could help here)
I would only term it as situational suicide - because the most critical safety feature i.e the driver erred here ( falling asleep on the wheel is never an accident but negligence).
But there is no confirmation as to whether the driver dozed off at the wheels. Right now it is speculation only. Or may be while trying to overtake the lorry at high speed, he would have noticed another vehicle ahead of his. May be to avoid hitting the vehicle in front of him, he must have not attempted to overtake. He would have then gone behind the lorry and failing to judge it's speed must have crashed into it.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:35   #16670
BHPian

Quote:
Was the rover equipped with air bags. I don't see them. May be that could have saved the driver.
May the soul of the person who passed away rest in peace.

All the airbags were deployed, including the curtain. All the pictures are put by a fellow team bhpian here

HATE posting on this thread. I hope there is a day when the Mods can lock this thread.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:45   #16671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
...Do you immediately lift the victim and put him on the back seat and take him to the nearest hospital?.....He has a head injury ....He may die in your backseat...
What do you do in such a situation?...
Let me quote my experience...

Sometime in 2013 apr/may cant recollect

2 Kms before KA Border (Attibele) on a clear friday morning, me in the Armada in my profile pic here <--... enroute from hosur to bangalore to work

Saw a person on road (no other vehicles ahead of him, beside me, behind me too!!!) Bike was in middle of road, dude was barely moving around on his back. Thick blood from his right rear of his skull and a visible puncture too. Quickly threw the bike aside and asked my passenger to man traffic and clear all people who love a free show! Called 198 and ambulance said dispatching right away.

Meanwhile passerbys helped with water and keeping dude upright who seemed dizzy and dazed. 5 minutes passed and commonsense dictated head injury cannot wait for a free ambulance.

Shoved the dude in my rear seat, lights on, whatever speed I could manage with full-horn on, rushed him to narayana hrudayala (Sparsh - to be specific) and administered free first aid - KUDOS to hospital for NOT asking ONE DUMB question in that process - NO PAPER WORK, NO YADA YADA!!

In that first aid process, flicked the dudes cell phone (basic 1000rs (he wouldnt give it during the car drive, saying he is fine and dont panic his wife and all) - and called all his previous dialled numbers and found his friend who rushed within 20 minutes. They were decent enough to understand "I" did not knock him down and thanked me and I drove off - thats all I assumed my responsibility was.

1) Helping someone didnt cost me a lot, only lost my hankie to blood
2) Ambulance called me 20 minutes after I left the place asking me exact location - I thanked them saying please make it sooner next time and not to come now!
3) A basic phone with * lock made it easy to reach his near ones, a smartphone with a rangoli lock would sure have screwed him up.
4) I called the hospital front desk the next day only to find they shifted him to NIMHANS the same day (monetary reasons)

Called my doctor/close friend and to sum up...

1) Head injury - keep head upright and move blood AWAY from head to reduce blood loss
2) Other injury - Keep feet slightly higher to keep brain from loss of blood and reduce shock/seize/stroke (IIRC)
3) AVOID FORCE FEEDING WATER to a victim - they wont help him a lot, except a unconsious person can SWALLOW HIS toungue and CHOKE to death on his own toungue.
4) Try any CLOTH to STOP bleeding and apply hand pressure where needed

Dont worry about a car seat cover or a carpet, they can be dry cleaned and hose dried, but when you go home in the evening to your wife and innocent toddler who asked "dada how was your day, what did you do?" - Its kinda difficult to say "I watched someone bleed to death"...

Last edited by svsantosh : 18th November 2014 at 16:50.
svsantosh is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 16:54   #16672
BHPian

Could be. To me the likelier version is that the driver was drowsy. Allowed himself to take momentary leave of his senses on a seemingly clear stretch, a bit of accelerator pressed involuntarily, hands drooped on the wheel, lumbering truck right in front and DARKNESS (think he never heard the crash).

Mod Note: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th November 2014 at 07:45.
Old 18th November 2014, 17:21   #16673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
3) A basic phone with * lock made it easy to reach his near ones, a smartphone with a rangoli lock would sure have screwed him up.
This is a very good point and one thing that all smart phone users have to note.

I use a smart phone but have always had the simple swipe unlock and never a pattern/number lock. Once, I had accidentally left it in a restaurant in Sakleshpur and drove away. When we reached Hassan (approximately an hour's distance), my friend who was beside me, received a call on his mobile that I had left it there. Some good samaritan had found it and called us from the last dialled numbers.Had I put a pattern lock, I might have had to buy a new phone.

I see many people who save ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers but use pattern/number lock which defeats the whole purpose of ICE. After my incident I have narrated it to many of my friends and family and have asked them not to use pattern/number lock.
hemanth.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 21:20   #16674
BHPian

I know the family and do feel sorry for the loss.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20141118wa0003.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20141118wa0002.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20141118wa0001.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20141118wa0000.jpg  

Old 18th November 2014, 22:03   #16675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I see many people who save ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers but use pattern/number lock which defeats the whole purpose of ICE. After my incident I have narrated it to many of my friends and family and have asked them not to use pattern/number lock.
Sony seems to have found a way around this. Superb implementation
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1416328332374.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1416328386237.jpg  

djpeesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 09:58   #16676
BHPian

Most phones let you display 'Owner Information" : You can include your ICE contact there.
BUXX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:54   #16677
BHPian

Just saw a video on an accident that happened on the Mysore - Bangalore highway, somewhere between Maddur and Mandya involving 4 Cars, one bus and a truck.

Looks like the vehicles were moving very close to each other which is a very common scene on the Mys - Blr highway. This road really needs an upgrade very soon.

ashbhat2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:54   #16678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
Just saw a video on an accident that happened on the Mysore - Bangalore highway, somewhere between Maddur and Mandya involving 4 Cars, one bus and a truck.
Crap! I always avoid that road. This route is nothing but a death-race.

When will people learn to maintain distance between vehicles

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st November 2014 at 00:22. Reason: Removed video, please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 17:32   #16679
BHPian

Am not really sure how this was managed on the very busy Baner Road,Pune.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1416398519388.jpg  

Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 17:32   #16680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
Slightly off topic but a very interesting accident that defies some probability based stats.
  • Though 4 cars are involved, there are no Maruti or Hyundai cars which together enjoy over 60% market share.
  • 3 Toyota cars in the 4 - an Innova, an Etios and a Liva!
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks