Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2014, 18:21   #16681
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Slightly off topic but a very interesting accident that defies some probability based stats.
  • Though 4 cars are involved, there are no Maruti or Hyundai cars which together enjoy over 60% market share.
  • 3 Toyota cars in the 4 - an Innova, an Etios and a Liva!

That video was equally sad and funny. I wonder what kind of accidents we would get into if we had autobahn like roads.
Old 19th November 2014, 19:44   #16682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Crap! I always avoid that road. This route is nothing but a death-race.

When will people learn to maintain distance between vehicles
Me too. Just too many things that can go wrong in that stretch. Unless its a time when there will be less traffic, like a weekday afternoon etc, I always prefer Kanakpura road.

People who drive in this road think its some city road and crawl with no one giving a damn about staying away from the vehicle in front. Even if I do that, there will be one guy right behind my car. To add to this mess are these Indicabs with horrible drivers as well as brakes. Every time we drive in this road, at least one T-Bone accident and one pile up is observed.
Old 19th November 2014, 20:46   #16683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
Just saw a video on an accident that happened on the Mysore - Bangalore highway, somewhere between Maddur and Mandya involving 4 Cars, one bus and a truck.

Looks like the vehicles were moving very close to each other which is a very common scene on the Mys - Blr highway. This road really needs an upgrade very soon.
Widening the road because of the vehicle density is one part of the story. The main aspect while driving is to maintain sufficient gap between vehicles and not tailgate them. if this concept is not digested, the same fate will be met even on 4 /6 lane roads as well.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting videos in your post as it inconveniences our mobile users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 20th November 2014 at 10:16.
Old 19th November 2014, 22:06   #16684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post

Looks like the vehicles were moving very close to each other which is a very common scene on the Mys - Blr highway. This road really needs an upgrade very soon.
You don't get vehicles further apart by upgrading roads: you get it by upgrading drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
When will people learn to maintain distance between vehicles
Quite.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 23:00   #16685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You don't get vehicles further apart by upgrading roads: you get it by upgrading drivers.
Second that. This more so looks like bunch of stationary vehicles getting butted by a stupid driver in his macho lorry.

Even if the road is 1000 ft wide, if the one behind you forgets to brake you will still end up in this situation.

This is the only fear i have everytime i drive and every time i have my baby on the child seat. Its just scary to think about.
Old 19th November 2014, 23:43   #16686
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Widening the road because of the vehicle density is one part of the story. The main aspect while driving is to maintain sufficient gap between vehicles and not tailgate them. if this concept is not digested, the same fate will be met even on 4 /6 lane roads as well.
This was waiting to happen again, I have seen multiple such cascaded accidents on bangalore-mysore road in last 5-6 years. Saturday morning drive from Bangalore to mysore and sunday evening drive from mysore to bangalore is simply too bad. Literally drive will be bumper to bumper and mirror to mirror.

Even if one wants to maintain sufficient distance from vehicle in front, certainly other others will squeeze in between. It never worked for me. So last 2+ years, I strictly avoid saturday morning drive from Bangalore to mysore and sunday evening drive from mysore to bangalore, also on long weekends. If I have to drive then it would be either via Malavalli or via kunigal.
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 10:37   #16687
BHPian

Mumbai Eastern express highway - Airoli flyover.
A coal(?) laden rundown truck shed its rear wheel assembly (probably last night) leading to a traffic mess today morning.
Plus, an eighteen wheeler turns turtle in all its glory under Cadbury flyover yesterday morning.
Could not click any pictures.
I used to believe that truck drivers are relatively well behaved drivers on road, but of late it seems some of the group cannot resist the lures of adventurism.
1)Do witness an increasing number of truckers hogging the right lane on expressway
2) cement mixers and dumpers weaving in and out of lanes, shaking in multiple dimensions, at more than comfortable speed
3) Use their size ( also buses here) to muscle in , create extra lanes and obstruct valid traffic leading to flyovers and below ( specially at rush hours)
Old 20th November 2014, 11:29   #16688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post

Even if one wants to maintain sufficient distance from vehicle in front, certainly other others will squeeze in between. It never worked for me.
I totally agree with you on this point. I've noticed this a lot on my weekend drives to Mys where people will tailgate you to no end with very minimum distance between vehicles at speeds over 80 which is really dangerous. To add to that, once they overtake you, they do a quick squeeze maneuver at greater speeds. Since there are only two lanes currently, a truck on one lane means you don't even have any place to move aside and let the moron drivers get ahead. Mostly it is the cabbies who are out for the weekend trips who cause this menace is what I have observed.

One more really annoying thing I have noticed on this highway is whenever there is a jam due to any accident ( Which is a very common scene on weekends ) The two lanes are converted to 5 to 6 lanes where almost two vehicles are crawling parallely off the tarmac ( this includes Volvos, RTC's and trucks ). Lane discipline sounds like a totally alien concept on this road.
Old 20th November 2014, 11:49   #16689

So about a year back, I got into this very moviesque accident on the Delhi-Agra highway. It was about 8 am and me and a couple of friends were driving to see the Taj Mahal (they were visiting me from the states). We had had a late night the previous night so the other two were asleep. The highway was completely empty so we were cruising at good speeds 100+. And suddenly my front left tire burst. The car (a Toyota Innova) veered out of control and me not being that experienced a driver applied panic brakes. And that was a mistake. My car skid to the left and impacted against a pole. The whole car was literally vertical at that point after which it flipped over 3 times before coming to a rest on it's wheels. God was it horrendous.

But the thing is, it didn't feel that scary while we were spinning. The whole time I kept thinking 'oh this is how they feel like in movies'. Ofcourse when the car stopped, the realization came as to what had actually happened and the dread started setting in. Luckily there were no cars or pedestrians around to harm so I call myself lucky.

But the thing is, all of us escaped relatively unscathed. The worst wound was a cut on my friends hand where the cut was visible. Apart from that we were fine (a chipped tooth and some bruised ribs was it).

I am not trying to condone high speed driving here (I know I was being stupid driving at suh high speeds on a concrete road) at all but I have to point out the reason we escaped. All of us were wearing seatbelts. Even the ones on the middle seat. We didn't even have airbags but still we were pretty safe. So I just want to reiterate 'Seatbelts Save Lives'

Also be careful on the Delhi Agra highway. While it's an open invitation for speed, concrete has a lot higher coefficient of friction than tar and the tyres are very likely to burst especially in the Indian weather. Be very careful as to how you drive.

Anyways I think I've learnt my lesson. And I never let anybody sit in my car without seatbelts now. Even on the back seat.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-941529_10201073602465703_2066731974_n.jpg
Vikram Patel is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 11:55   #16690
Senior - BHPian

Found this on FB: https://www.facebook.com/Ajit.Menon2...04710521175351

Quote:
When my boss, Mr. Anil Nair bashed his Toyota Ethios car head-on at the Ernakulam-Alleppey highway, he suffered injuries and his co-passenger was hospitalized for 2 weeks.

When he informed hisToyota dealer that Airbags did not deploy, their reply was, “It’s because you did not collide properly”. !!!!

Mr.Anil Nair then asked them, ‘Then how must I collide for the airbags to function propertly? How can I trust this vehicle again?’
This is the impact & both front passengers were wearing seat-belt.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10750191_10204710520095324_8960821126435232779_o.jpg

Last edited by msdivy : 20th November 2014 at 11:59.
Old 20th November 2014, 12:17   #16691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun yadav View Post
Plus, an eighteen wheeler turns turtle in all its glory under Cadbury flyover yesterday morning.
Surprised to note the heavy vehicle inside city limits when they are normally kept at bay at the Octroi's and dont have permission to move within city limits at least during the day. What was such a huge vehicle doing in the city limits? Were there any casualties in the accident?
Old 20th November 2014, 12:17   #16692
BHPian

Saw this post on facebook. Posting this here as I couldnt find relevant thread.

From https://www.facebook.com/anil.nair.716970

I am quoting his words here..
"
Anil Nair added 3 new photos.
Airbag didn’t deploy? It’s because car didn’t collide properly!!!!
When my Toyota Ethios bashed a car head-on at the Ernakulam-Alleppey highway, I suffered injuries and my co-passenger was hospitalized for 2 weeks.
When I informed my Toyota dealer that Airbags did not deploy, their reply was, “It’s because you did not collide properly”. !!!!
Question is, ‘How must I collide for the airbags to function? How can I trust this vehicle again?’
Hope they will also give us training to bang our cars right so that air bags get deployed.
I am requesting you to forward it so that by the power of social media, it will get noticed by the Toyota officials. And they will take the necessary steps to ensure safety."
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1403186_4834363633180_9190177848916638598_o.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10257282_4834363353173_9191292338083837766_o.jpg  

Old 20th November 2014, 13:29   #16693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Found this on FB: https://www.facebook.com/Ajit.Menon2...04710521175351

Attachment 1310683
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
Saw this post on facebook. Posting this here as I couldnt find relevant thread.
I was about to ask if they were buckled up, until I saw msdivy's last sentence that confirms it.

The impact seems hard enough that the front deformation should have triggered the sensors.

Was it actually a head-on collision? Or was there some impact with a pole or so? I ask because the center part is prominently pushed in around the license plate area.
Old 20th November 2014, 13:33   #16694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Don't know about the driver, but from the photos I highly suspect that the front passenger was wearing seat belt.

Why do I suspect? Because,

1. The wind shield on the passenger side is hit from inside which is in all probabilities the passenger's head. And

2. As in the below quote, the passenger was hospitalised for 2 weeks which may be very much because of the above mentioned injury.
Quote:
his co-passenger was hospitalized for 2 weeks.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 13:59   #16695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Don't know about the driver, but from the photos I highly suspect that the front passenger was wearing seat belt.
Seems like it. I got the information from comments section:
Quote:
Many people had raised the issue of seat belt. I am informed that both the passengers did indeed wear the seat belt because - 1. they were travelling on a highway which is one of the relatively good ones in Kerala, 2. the police in Kochi area is very strict about it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks