Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2014, 12:38   #16711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
That's extremely close. The guy looks well dressed and I couldn't see any vehicles stopped nearby. Since he did not flinch, I'm guessing he was under some kind of influence. The driver of the Swift that you overtook might also have got a minor heart attack since you had to swerve to save the idiot.

This also reminded me of a narrow escape, on NH7 somewhere near dindigul. I was doing somewhere between 80-90 Km/hr and it was round 7 o clock, a guy suddenly appeared from the bushes they grow on the divider and darted to the side of the road. I missed hitting him by about a foot or so.

The swift driver was the reason I overtook from the left ! He wasn't giving way and was either blocking me or speeding up whenever I tried to overtake him.

This was just fluke that I didn't hit him. Had I been slower , I wouldn't have been able to swerve and avoid him , had I been driving on the left lane , maybe I would have hit him for sure.
Old 24th November 2014, 14:27   #16712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
And this is how I narrowly missed being reported in this thread
On another note, are you sure it was a human and not some spirit wandering for its next victim ? !
Asking because it was too quick for someone to appear on the road !! I mean, just a flash and he is there !!

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 24th November 2014 at 14:28.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 15:18   #16713
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
On another note, are you sure it was a human and not some spirit wandering for its next victim ? !
Asking because it was too quick for someone to appear on the road !! I mean, just a flash and he is there !!
I totally agree, if you look at the video closely, he's standing exactly where the bus has passed from.
And it doesn't even move an inch.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 16:08   #16714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
I totally agree, if you look at the video closely, he's standing exactly where the bus has passed from.
He is not visible because of on-coming lights and becuase it was dark.
The bus is on the right lane and the car behind looks like was right on track to hit him and then swerved.

Either he is high on something, suicidal or mentally challenged.
Old 25th November 2014, 12:25   #16715
BHPian

Quote:
I have replayed the video several times and I feel its not a real human being. It appeared too suddenly.
chevyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 13:35   #16716
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Only Silver lining is he was wearing White (t) Shirt, which reflected headlight. If it is a dark top, then I am not sure one could have even noticed him.
Old 25th November 2014, 13:35   #16717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Yikes... I would have got a heart attack. The aux lights on my car have a long throw and hence lets me buy some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
That's extremely close. The guy looks well dressed and I couldn't see any vehicles stopped nearby. Since he did not flinch, I'm guessing he was under some kind of influence. The driver of the Swift that you overtook might also have got a minor heart attack since you had to swerve to save the idiot.

This also reminded me of a narrow escape, on NH7 somewhere near dindigul. I was doing somewhere between 80-90 Km/hr and it was round 7 o clock, a guy suddenly appeared from the bushes they grow on the divider and darted to the side of the road. I missed hitting him by about a foot or so.
Quote:
The swift driver was the reason I overtook from the left ! He wasn't giving way and was either blocking me or speeding up whenever I tried to overtake him.

This was just fluke that I didn't hit him. Had I been slower , I wouldn't have been able to swerve and avoid him , had I been driving on the left lane , maybe I would have hit him for sure.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
He is not visible because of on-coming lights and becuase it was dark.
The bus is on the right lane and the car behind looks like was right on track to hit him and then swerved.

Either he is high on something, suicidal or mentally challenged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
I have replayed the video several times and I feel its not a real human being. It appeared too suddenly.
Some points to think about :

1- I was overtaking from the left , which wasnt safe . But I did that as this swift driver continuously blocking me. He would suddenly speed up when I try to overtake from the right and slow down just when we would approach the vehicle ahead ! This went on for about 1.5 kms before I decided to overtake him from the left . I was irritated and wanted to pass him ASAP . Though I do higher speeds on the Mangalore road , I always stick to 80 kph on the NICE road

2- Had I been a bit slower , I couldnt have avoided him .

3- Speeding in the night and that too from the left lane isnt safe on our roads at all . You can run into anything from a cow to a parked vehicle. We know this , but still end up behaving like idiots at times .

4 - Had this guy moved a bit to the center of the road , me and a couple of vehicles behind could have been in trouble

5- So important to keep your calm in such panic situations . Had I braked and swerved , the Swift driver would have crashed into me.

6- Could have been someone under the influence or someone not in the right frame of mind . This could have also been someone who was part of a gang trying to take risks and force people into slowing down or crashing to mug them later on

7 - I called up the number on the toll receipt to warn them about this guy , but no one picked the call

Was indeed a close call !
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 16:12   #16718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
And what would that be?

Quote:
...Was indeed a close call !
Been there done that. Presence of mind is what saved you that day. You will be bombarded with a gazillion questions and statements/instructions as advice, but only those who've been there will know that there really is no time to even think - a split second decision is what's going to save/had saved the day for you and the jaywalker.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 18:21   #16719
BHPian

A W210 E-class caught fire in Mumbai today afternoon.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45271299.cms
Old 25th November 2014, 19:29   #16720
BHPian

Quote:
A few clips from the Mangalore - Highway
I wonder why he didn't even step back :o you sure met a ghost!
Old 25th November 2014, 21:56   #16721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
I wonder why he didn't even step back :o you sure met a ghost!
Relax, He is very much a human being but belongs to that class who do not value their lives as in this case by blindly trying to cross the road.
Old 25th November 2014, 22:34   #16722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Relax, He is very much a human being but belongs to that class who do not value their lives as in this case by blindly trying to cross the road.
But why should he(nor anyone) cross the NICE road? Even if one has to relieve himself(not from worldly burdens, just biological) there's no need to cross lanes in NICE road.
Old 25th November 2014, 22:42   #16723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
But why should he(nor anyone) cross the NICE road?
During early morning (~04.30 AM) drives on NICE road, few times I have seen laborers waiting on NICE road for truck/ goods carrier to pick them up.

The places where I have seen them are not near any exits, so I guess they jump the barricades and reach the road. Based on that assumption, they may have to cross road too.
However should add that, this person looks well dressed than others I have seen on the road.
Old 25th November 2014, 22:54   #16724
D C
BHPian

Quote:
A few clips from the Mangalore - Highway

And this is how I narrowly missed being reported in this thread
That was very close, for sure your alertness saved that guy. It looks to me like he was standing there in the middle of the lane and was not trying to cross the road!

On highways, I always watch out the behavior of the vehicle in front, especially during night drives. That would give us more time to react. If you watch closely, you can see the car in front did see the man, applied brakes and cut to the right lane.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th November 2014 at 10:51. Reason: Removing embedded video from quoted post.
Old 26th November 2014, 03:43   #16725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
If you watch closely, you can see the car in front did see the man, applied brakes and cut to the right lane.
I think the front car passed as if the man doesnt exit? The man appeared AFTER this front car passed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks