Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2014, 08:24   #16726
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
I think the front car passed as if the man doesnt exit? The man appeared AFTER this front car passed?
Oh comeon guys!
Click on the youtube bar on that video and watch it on youtube in full-screen.
All those who are saying "The man appeared out of nowhere" or "He doesn't loook like the REAL thing" will get their answers.
It's pretty clear when you watch it in full-screen pausing between frames.

Hence proved, he is not a ghost.

Sorry, but I had to reply just because I saw the same type of replies being repeated over and over again.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 09:14   #16727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
The swift driver was the reason I overtook from the left ! He wasn't giving way and was either blocking me or speeding up whenever I tried to overtake him.

This was just fluke that I didn't hit him. Had I been slower , I wouldn't have been able to swerve and avoid him , had I been driving on the left lane , maybe I would have hit him for sure.
You must thank your stars that person was dressed in white. Imagine if he was a ayyappa swamy devotee dressed in black trying to cross the road.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 11:03   #16728
BHPian

This morning there was an accident on the 200 ft road at Thoraipakkam towards Chennai one from Kamakshi hospital less than a km from the Kamakshi hospital intersection. The Bike guy had injuries to his chin and jaws. The innova had its rear glass shattered, not sure if it was broken as part of the impact. Any more information on the accident?
Old 26th November 2014, 13:54   #16729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
This morning there was an accident on the 200 ft road at Thoraipakkam towards Chennai one from Kamakshi hospital less than a km from the Kamakshi hospital intersection. The Bike guy had injuries to his chin and jaws. The innova had its rear glass shattered, not sure if it was broken as part of the impact. Any more information on the accident?
As per the above description, I guess the biker might have rear-ended the Innova. Hence, the injuries to his chin and jaw.
Old 26th November 2014, 14:08   #16730
BHPian

Yet another accident this morning at Nantoor Junction, Mangaluru.

I had reported a couple of earlier incidents at the same spot in the forum:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3454522

This is the third time this year and this time it claimed two lives.

Image Source: http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=279416

Still authorities don't seem to be interested in providing a solution to this busy and ill planned junction.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bustruck_2611144.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bustruck_2611145.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bustruck_2611146.jpg  

Last edited by Mahesh Prasad : 26th November 2014 at 14:10. Reason: Line spacing
Old 26th November 2014, 14:18   #16731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
As per the above description, I guess the biker might have rear-ended the Innova. Hence, the injuries to his chin and jaw.
Thats what I thought, but would the impact be strong enough to shatter the rear windscreen. Unless, upon impact he flew from the bike and hit the windscreen. I dont think, he was in a position to fight back to break the screen in anger, and did not see a mob around as well.
Old 26th November 2014, 15:42   #16732
Senior - BHPian

This is one messy roundabout . Usually its these private buses that are the main culprits . Dunno why is it so difficult for the cops to reign them in !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
Still authorities don't seem to be interested in providing a solution to this busy and ill planned junction.
Immediate solution would be to have a signal if its not there by now and a long term solution is to have an overbridge on the highway .
Old 26th November 2014, 16:21   #16733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Thats what I thought, but would the impact be strong enough to shatter the rear windscreen. Unless, upon impact he flew from the bike and hit the windscreen. I dont think, he was in a position to fight back to break the screen in anger, and did not see a mob around as well.
The injuries he suffered show it all. The biker must be doing good speeds and his face must have kissed the rear glass of the Innova. Injuries to his chin and jaw are a result of not wearing a HELMET.
Old 26th November 2014, 16:24   #16734
BHPian

Two wheel rider, should thank his stars!

http://ishare.rediff.com/video/enter...-video/9934544

Last edited by Selective : 26th November 2014 at 16:26.
Old 26th November 2014, 21:51   #16735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Let me quote my experience...

Sometime in 2013 apr/may cant recollect
Dont worry about a car seat cover or a carpet, they can be dry cleaned and hose dried, but when you go home in the evening to your wife and innocent toddler who asked "dada how was your day, what did you do?" - Its kinda difficult to say "I watched someone bleed to death"...
Great job sir. You have earned yourself lots of good wishes. Hope this becomes a larger phenomenon.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th November 2014 at 22:26. Reason: Post Edited. Please avoid quoting large posts in their entirety. Thanks!
Old 26th November 2014, 22:36   #16736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
This is one messy roundabout ... Immediate solution would be to have a signal if its not there by now
Elsewhere in the world, a roundabout is considered an upgrade from a signaled intersection. Here in India, things regress. Pity, really.
Old 26th November 2014, 23:53   #16737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I doubt that. None of the car manufacturers mention this anywhere, not in their manual nor by way of any warning stickers. Airbags do work in conjunction with seat belts in providing safety but I don't think they get deactivated if seatbelts are not worn.

Also if airbags were linked to wearing seatbelts it just makes is very easy for car companies to say "you did not wear seatbelt, so our airbags did not deploy". How can one provide proof of having worn seatbelts?
I think modern cars have sensors (weight based) placed in the front passenger car seat which can detect whether it is empty or an adult or child is occupying the seat. If it is empty or a child sitting there, the SRS (Supplimentary Restraint System) airbag on the passenger side will NOT be deployed. Keep in mind, the sensors can be "fooled" by keeping heavy objects on the passenger seat. Just note that in such cases the airbag will be deployed and one will incur unnecessary repairs and replacement costs.
Old 27th November 2014, 06:07   #16738

Studies indicate that roundabouts are safer than traffic signals. Key advantages listed are lower speeds, no "beat-the-light" syndrome, one way travel along a curved path which avoids T-bone and head-on collisions. But roundabouts are not the perfect solution for every intersection, especially if the traffic includes heavy vehicles like trucks and buses.

With roads getting better and better , I think majority of the accidents happening in India now a days can be reduced if the drivers
a) exercise some degree of self restraint.
b) develop road sense.
c) understand the limitations (more than the capabilities) of their vehicle.
Old 27th November 2014, 06:52   #16739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rintu View Post
Studies indicate that roundabouts are safer than traffic signals. Key advantages listed are lower speeds, no "beat-the-light" syndrome, one way travel along a curved path which avoids T-bone and head-on collisions. But roundabouts are not the perfect solution for every intersection, especially if the traffic includes heavy vehicles like trucks and buses.

With roads getting better and better , I think majority of the accidents happening in India now a days can be reduced if the drivers
a) exercise some degree of self restraint.
b) develop road sense.
c) understand the limitations (more than the capabilities) of their vehicle.
No.

Simply tighter and more instant fines.

People dont drive nicely in california because its fun to do, but because if you break the law, things get ugly and expensive really quick.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 07:47   #16740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Oh comeon guys!
Click on the Youtube bar on that video and watch it on Youtube in full-screen.
All those who are saying "The man appeared out of nowhere" or "He doesn't loook like the REAL thing" will get their answers.
It's pretty clear when you watch it in full-screen pausing between frames.
The guy was perfectly camouflaged. The white shirt had a background of the illuminated parts of the truck and the dark trousers had the background of the dark parts of the truck and the road. Even the waistline pretty much coincided with the light and dark parts.

I put it down to freaky coincidence and take it as a lesson.
braindead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed