Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2015, 16:28   #16906
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

The pic says it all. If the truck driver's claim of coming to a complete stop before impact is true, I can't even begin to imagine the speeds the car was doing.
Old 1st January 2015, 16:37   #16907
Senior - BHPian

"The students were returning from Varkala beach after a party and were allegedly trying to overtake another car on the highway when their car rammed a tanker-truck on the opposite side."

If that is the case then why is the truck driver arrested?
Old 1st January 2015, 16:49   #16908
Team-BHP Support

6 guys cramped in a 5 seater hatchback is in itself asking for trouble.

Quote:
returning from Varkala beach after a party
Probably intoxicated as well? Rest in peace.
Old 1st January 2015, 16:51   #16909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Does it say anywhere that the truck driver is arrested? All I have read so far is "Chathanur police has registered a case". The truck driver is also speaking to media, so I don't think he's under police custody.

It is ironic that today (1/1) is the launch of Shubh Yatra, a programme to improve road safety in Kerala.
Old 1st January 2015, 16:59   #16910
Senior - BHPian

Sorry I forgot to share the toi link to the accident:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45716382.cms

"The driver of the tanker has been taken into custody, police said"
Old 1st January 2015, 17:12   #16911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"The students were returning from Varkala beach after a party and were allegedly trying to overtake another car on the highway when their car rammed a tanker-truck on the opposite side."

Oh OK. That is the truck driver's story; remember that it happened at 2:30 AM so there is hardly any chance of independent corroboration. Anyway, I guess it is purely procedural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Probably intoxicated as well? Rest in peace.
There is very little chance of finding hard booze in Kerala, isn't it?
Old 1st January 2015, 17:20   #16912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

There is very little chance of finding hard booze in Kerala, isn't it?
well booze isn't the only thing which can give you a high. considering it was a beach party am pretty sure other drugs were readily available, the one's which hit the brain right on without having to go through the blood.

Anyways, sad news on New Year's Day. May they RIP.
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:02   #16913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
6 guys cramped in a 5 seater hatchback is in itself asking for trouble.
Driving a fully loaded car at high speeds in the night is a recipe for disaster. Were the students that drunk that they did not realize the consequences??

RIP.
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:17   #16914
BHPian

I was there at the private hospital in which the body of one among the deceased was admitted, where it was crowded by his parents, relatives and friends. That poor Mom couldn't control herself and ran into tears and began mourning about her son. Literally, it made me into tears.

The stretch at which this mishap happened is notorious for such incidents. Even a small hatchback could easily climb 150+kmph before it realizes its big mistake.

May their souls Rest In Peace.
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:38   #16915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
Apparently (we do not know for sure), Vishnu slept for a moment and ended up grazing the median of the highway at around 100kmph near Doravari Satram on NH5.
Terrible loss, may his family and friends find strength to overcome it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Sleep is the most vital aspect that can be your life saver whether it is driving by the day or night. It all boils down to your “ability to react” for untoward and unwarranted situations prevalent on our country’s roads to be precise.
Brilliantly put. I can recall two instances when I went against the so called Macho spirit on drives:

1. Journey from Bangalore to Coorg - Felt drowsy 1 hour into the early morning drive, and I was the sole driver - pulled into a Resturant Parking and took a long decent nap

2. Goa to Bangalore - The long journey back and high beam of trucks had taken a toll on me so around 2 hours to go to the destination, I asked my friends to take over from me. This was when I was driving at a measly speed of 80.

I think all of us need to educate our friends and family that a split second bad decision on the highway can cost you a lot - and if you are not a 100% focused on the road, you won't be able to make that right decision.

It has happened to all of us, those who were lucky to survive it would learn from it and make better decisions the rest of our lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Driving a fully loaded car at high speeds in the night is a recipe for disaster. Were the students that drunk that they did not realize the consequences??

RIP.
We have all been in that age - where adrenalin has the better of you - but the one thing fortunate people have is someone in the pack is sane and tells others to stop before it's too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc˛ View Post
That poor Mom couldn't control herself and ran into tears and began mourning about her son. Literally, it made me into tears.
Absolutely nothing worse for parents to see their children pass away. There is nothing that can console her. I hope she makes peace with God.

It's so very important to inculcate road sense and morals into your children growing up. I see parents laugh off when their sons comment on a girl, I also see parents give their underage children cars and bikes - what do you expect from them? Will they heed the law? Do they even understand it?
It's sad to see where we are going.

Not commenting on this case, but in general.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 2nd January 2015 at 09:59. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts.
pratyush6 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:23   #16916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"The driver of the tanker has been taken into custody, police said"
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Anyway, I guess it is purely procedural.
The arrest may be pure procedural. But truck drivers have the habit of driving in their powerful high beams which literally blinds the drivers of oncoming vehicles which is quite dangerous especially on two lane roads.
This habit is quite rampant in this part of the country and stringent action need to be taken by the authorities concerned.

Overloaded cars have a tendency to under-steer and during the final stages of the overtaking maneuver can go tangentially to the anticipated trajectory and get out of control.

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd January 2015 at 11:31.
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:43   #16917
Senior - BHPian

Whatever may be the causes of the accident, at the end of it, its a huge loss to the family. I would also place the parents under arrests for allowing their kids to go to a party in a vehicle, instead give them money for taxi and save their lives this irrespective of them drinking or smoking.
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:58   #16918
Senior - BHPian

On 31st December there was a accident involving an Alto after Mysuru towards Srirangapatna. The car was totally jammed from the front and was in the opposite lane facing wrong side. It collided with a truck and I think it got thrown off to the lane on the other side.
There was a mini jam due to this. There were no blood stains which made me think there was no loss of life fortunately.

After Srirangapatna, saw a XUV that had driven off the road, into the ditch and resting on top of it. Not much damage on the car.
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:03   #16919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
considering it was a beach party am pretty sure other drugs were readily available
Latest reports say that they were returning after dinner and midnight revelry at a friend's home near the beach, not from a beach party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
It's so very important to inculcate road sense and morals into your children growing up.
This is precisely the point R. Sreelekha (the current transport commissioner of Kerala) made yesterday in a TV debate. That road sense training need to start at a very young age, and that parents need to take a very active role in it.

It seems 15 deaths on the roads in the first few hours of the new year, in Kerala.
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:02   #16920
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pics of the Mumbra bypass accident!

The first pic shows the last truck which had its tyres burnt.

The second shows the mangled cabin of the truck which rammed into the oncoming trucks - the driver could not be extracted from this one.

The third pic shows the truck which bore the brunt of the impact - we took its driver to the hospital.

These pics were clicked by my wife. If you show these and such other cases to those who love to speed, I am sure they would think different.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1420183660719.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1420183914231.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1420183930682.jpg  

Most Viewed