Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2015, 12:08   #17056
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Twenty-four children aboard a rashly-driven school bus had a miraculous escape after the vehicle overturned.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46059595.cms

KV Srinivas, 42, a vegetable vendor, was killed when an unknown vehicle mowed him down when he was crossing a junction near FTI Circle, Outer Ring Road.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46048479.cms
Old 1st February 2015, 03:49   #17057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
The front unbelted passenger should also have been thrust towards the front and though the airbag would have cushioned the blow, there would have been a high risk of internal injuries due to sudden deceleration- something the seatbelts are supposed to minimise.

This makes me wonder if the collision took place at a lower speed? Perhaps the car was doing 120 when the driver was awake but the speed tends to fall as one gets drowsy and maybe the car slowed to say ....
Seat belts do a lot to save the passenger from a chest/head injury and the frontal airbag(if present) tries its best to save your neck from a whiplash. Seatbelts do a very bare minimum job of keeping the passenger anchored to the seat, otherwise the passenger will get flung off his position increasing risk of injuries.

For the academic information:
In non airbag vehicles the seat belts cannot minimize the sudden deceleration but just locks the passenger from moving forward. In airbag equipped vehicles, the locking as well as Pre-tensioners are present in the seat belts to pull the passenger firm to the seat before commanding an airbag deployment to avoid injuries. But, Mainly its the job of the crumple zones in the structure to take care of controlling deceleration impact into the interiors.

As far as Airbags is concerned ,Technically
There is an algorithm to govern the deployment of the airbag (esp frontal) and one of the key parameters is the seat belt state whether its buckled or not. airbags do the bare minimum and are the last resort that the vehicle looks up to to protect its occupants. The first line of defense is the structure of the car. as you know it has crash sensors that measure deceleration force (g-force)and if the crash provides the sensors with a impact of say xG-forces or more then the airbag will deploy ( at whatever kmph ) as the structural integrity of the car is known to give way at this impact. That x is calculated by design engineers based on beyond how much force the structure cannot bear anymore. If you don't buckle up then the restraint control system cannot assume anything and will not deploy the airbag (why?? if it does, the passenger may be close to the deployment area and might get killed by the blow of the airbag). The airbag lasts for merely a second and then deflates.

reason why the rear passengers didn't get flung forwards might be because of the front passenger seats preventing them to rocket through the windshield.

My final message here is : Whatever the reason be, Please Buckle up!.
Rev_That_V8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 12:30   #17058
BHPian

Re: Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India

A Yamaha R1 crashed on the ECR Chennai. Apparently, the rider passed away on the spot and the pillion is battling for life. Got the pictures and information from Facebook. The biker and his pillion were not in full gear, although looking at the scene and the helmet on the road, I personally feel even full gear couldn't have saved him.

It's been told that the R1 was doing high speeds and rear-ended a stationary tipper lorry. RIP!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bike1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bike2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bike3.jpg  

Last edited by Added_flavor : 1st February 2015 at 12:48.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 13:48   #17059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
A Yamaha R1 crashed on the ECR Chennai. Apparently, the rider passed away on the spot and the pillion is battling for life. Got the pictures and information from Facebook. The biker and his pillion were not in full gear, although looking at the scene and the helmet on the road, I personally feel even full gear couldn't have saved him.

It's been told that the R1 was doing high speeds and rear-ended a stationary tipper lorry. RIP!
Some sources told me that rider is battling for life and pillion passed away, pillion was wearing only half-face helmet and no riding gear, hence sustained fatal injuries. May his soul RIP.
Old 1st February 2015, 15:04   #17060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A Helmet and Riding gear only offer a certain degree of protection, if you surpass that, only God can save you.
May the departed soul rest in peace.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 15:21   #17061
Senior - BHPian

It was very sad reading about this. Looking at the pictures I can only Imagine how quickly he was going.
I don't know anything about Superbikes, actually I don't know much about two-wheelers In general. I would like to know what kind of top speed super bikes such as the one above are capable of?

Thanks.
Old 1st February 2015, 16:52   #17062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I would like to know what kind of top speed super bikes such as the one above are capable of?
You're effectively looking at machines capable of 0-60 mph in under 3 seconds. Top speed reaching upto 300kph. Most of them produce around 180-200bhp and also weigh that many kilograms too. In short, one just doesn't kid around with machines such as these, reinforcing the need for proper safety gear every time one rides it! Throw in our pathetic road conditions, and we have a recipe for disaster!
GKR9900 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 17:31   #17063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
You're effectively looking at machines capable of 0-60 mph in under 3 seconds. Top speed reaching upto 300kph. Most of them produce around 180-200bhp and also weigh that many kilograms too. In short, one just doesn't kid around with machines such as these, reinforcing the need for proper safety gear every time one rides it! Throw in our pathetic road conditions, and we have a recipe for disaster!
That much on a two wheeler??!!! My God. There are fast cars that produce as much .

This Is Insane, The Power to Weight ratio of a superibike must be off the charts!. If one maxes out at 300kph on a bike and then proceeds to have an accident I find it hard to Imagine how he/she would come out unharmed. Today's modern super cars which achieve similar top speed at least have the safety of carbon cells etc.
Old 1st February 2015, 18:24   #17064
BHPian

Quote:
That much on a two wheeler??!!! My God. There are fast cars that produce as much .

This Is Insane, The Power to Weight ratio of a superibike must be off the charts!. If one maxes out at 300kph on a bike and then proceeds to have an accident I find it hard to Imagine how he/she would come out unharmed. Today's modern super cars which achieve similar top speed at least have the safety of carbon cells etc.
Indeed! The youth of our country are not properly trained to ride these superbikes, nor are they blessed with adequate conditions to do so.

As far as I understand, in the West, they have different categories of license for different age groups with horsepower restrictions for each category. I'm not entirely sure how the categories are spread out. Also, they have a lot of track days that will let young riders exploit the full capacities of their motorcycles within the safety margin provided by an enclosed road. Besides, their traffic conditions are much better improved with better infrastructure, good driver's etiquette, and immediate availability of emergency services. Even with all these, accidents do happen. Now, compare this with our traffic conditions, with bad roads, poor driving manners, dogs and cats jumping out of nowhere, cattle herds planning to have a road invasion, and pedestrians who dont have a clue which way they want to go! In short, it's just unpredictable! And what do some of our younger brothers who can afford such machines do? Ready, Set, Go!! Nothing else!

Last edited by GKR9900 : 1st February 2015 at 18:26.
GKR9900 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 18:52   #17065
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would like to know what kind of top speed super bikes such as the one above are capable of?
To add to what GKR9900 has already said, SBK's are restricted at 187 miles per hour. But, even then they accelerate.

Few SBK's do 150+ in 1st gear and continue to accelerate hard even at 250. Can pop wheelies at 200+

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th February 2015 at 00:50. Reason: Please avoid posting high speed run videos on public roads, thanks
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 19:35   #17066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Indeed! The youth of our country are not properly trained to ride these superbikes, nor are they blessed with adequate conditions to do so.

As far as I understand, in the West, they have different categories of license for different age groups with horsepower restrictions for each category. I'm not entirely sure how the categories are spread out.
I think I can understand. With such power there would need to be a learning curve. A person who knows how to ride an Activa surely can't jump into a super bike and expect to handle all the power without making errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
To add to what GKR9900 has already said, SBK's are restricted at 187 miles per hour. But, even then they accelerate.

Few SBK's do 150+ in 1st gear and continue to accelerate hard even at 250. Can pop wheelies at 200+
What the.... 0__0

They rev to 15,000RPM?? and What savage acceleration!. Hah! I'm so uneducated on two-wheelers. I didn't know they can rev so high nor did I know It's possible to get something on two wheels be stable at such high speeds. This is all very Interesting to me...

I can see the tires are fatter than the Hero hondas and those regular bikes we see on our roads but the contact patch still seems very little for 200HP, Is there constant wheel spin or escaped horses in these bikes?

Also, In part of the video you linked they are leaning at a very sharp angle at 250+ kph speeds. How is it they don't fall to one side? slide sideways etc.? I sometimes see Imbeciles do this on our public roads when I return home very late at night as well.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting posts which have video links as it inconveniences our mobile users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 1st February 2015 at 20:28.
Old 1st February 2015, 20:08   #17067
Senior - BHPian

Not very new. One memorable case was cricketer Azharuddin's son and nephew, in 2011 on the long straight stretch of the ORR.

Suzuki GSX R1000. And quite likely smuggled in to avoid the massive import duty, as it was registered to a petty footwear trader.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/v...ow/9943237.cms
Old 1st February 2015, 20:57   #17068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What the.... Top speed of 300! And they are riding as If they are in a video game. Look at the pace at which they fly past busses. I am amazed by their reaction time at those speeds

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd February 2015 at 11:47. Reason: Trimming quoted text
Old 1st February 2015, 21:11   #17069
BHPian

Quote:

The rider is alive, rather pillion passed away. The R1 hit a car doing about 150 kmph. (R1's speed).
Pillion was wearing a half helmet. Sad, money doesn't give people sense. It's suicidal doing 150 on public roads, leave alone 300.
Old 2nd February 2015, 02:16   #17070
BHPian

You can see the video of R1 crash here : https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205642448931561

Mods : Please remove it if required.
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks