Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2015, 06:55   #17071
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Four killed as bus runs over people in Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh

Hyderabad, Feb 1, 2015: Four people were killed and two injured Sunday when a bus ran over people near Rajahmundry in Andhra Pradesh, police said.

The accident occurred at the Rajahmundry-Morampudi junction when the bus - belonging to a private school - was carrying people to a public meeting of YSR Congress Party in Tanaku in West Godavari district.

A 12-year-old boy and a woman were among the dead. The condition of the injured was said to be critical.

The bus driver apparently lost control of the vehicle which hit a car and crushed three motorbikes. The bus overturned before coming to a halt.

Shocking images of the accident were captured on CCTV cameras.

The government has ordered a probe into the accident.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image_668435_schoolbusramsintopublic5killedinrajahmundrytv9teluguphotopic.jpg
http://www.newswala.com/India-Nation...ra-131866.html
Old 2nd February 2015, 08:23   #17072
BHPian

Re: Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
A Yamaha R1 crashed on the ECR Chennai. Apparently, the rider passed away on the spot and the pillion is battling for life. Got the pictures and information from Facebook. The biker and his pillion were not in full gear, although looking at the scene and the helmet on the road, I personally feel even full gear couldn't have saved him.

It's been told that the R1 was doing high speeds and rear-ended a stationary tipper lorry. RIP!
People are still under the impression that ECR is a free drive way along the beach while actually it isn't. At least for the last 10 years, it has become like any other city road combining with the fact of our police putting up silly barricades all along!!
gabrielthomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 08:44   #17073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
People are still under the impression that ECR is a free drive way along the beach while actually it isn't. At least for the last 10 years, it has become like any other city road combining with the fact of our police putting up silly barricades all along!!
Also people should realize that driving on a 4 lane road and 2 lane road is not the same.
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:01   #17074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
You can see the video of R1 crash here : https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205642448931561

Mods : Please remove it if required.
Interesting. If you see - the debris of the R1 was almost 50m (?) from where the Etios had stopped. Can that imply something about the bike's speed?
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:15   #17075
Senior - BHPian

This accident happened at Adoor (KL) on 31-Jan-2015 around 10:30PM. Two guys were in the car who have been injured and are hospitalized currently. Can't make out what car it is - Nano ?
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-manojaccident31_jan_2015_snipped.jpg
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:14   #17076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
You can see the video of R1 crash here : https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205642448931561

Mods : Please remove it if required.
Looking at the spot where the Etios is, it is quite clear that he has crossed the white line and come on to the biker's correct/fast lane - A typical single carriageway accident!

I notice so many exotic cars and motorbikes in the video. Looks like ECR for Chennai is what Kanakpura road is for Bangalore - The same single carriageway that provides a lot of of thrill but is infamous for accidents.

Also, it looks like work is in progress to widen the road. Just how did that guy manage to do such speeds in conditions like these?

IMHO, these days I see a lot of newbie riders with absolutely no riding experience buy exotic bikes. They just do not understand the power these bikes generate and have no idea of proper braking techniques. Added to this, there is no formal riding training/certification, no graduated licensing system, no awareness of safety and poor infrastructure. Going on our roads is akin to suicide these days! God knows where we are heading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
The rider is alive, rather pillion passed away. .
We got to know that the rider also passed away few hours later bro.

Quoting from FB.

Quote:
Revised update of crash today morning.
Rider ragav nd pillion dhiraj mahadik were riding yamaha R1 owned by dhiraj with out any experience on superbikes riding high speed 140+ and hit a travels's car on opposite in middle lane.
Pillion passed away after admitting on hospital.
Both were wearing only half helmet without bieng strapped nd no other gear.
Rider ragav also passed away few hours later.
PS: Mods, please edit the details in the original post here.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 2nd February 2015 at 10:36.
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:23   #17077
BHPian

VADODARA: A 47-year-old man was killed in a hit-and-run accident here on Saturday morning. The deceased Kailash Agrawal was a resident of Vasna Road. He was ridding pillion on a motorcycle when a speeding SUV car knocked him down.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46084360.cms
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:14   #17078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
The rider is alive, rather pillion passed away. The R1 hit a car doing about 150 kmph. (R1's speed).
Pillion was wearing a half helmet. Sad, money doesn't give people sense. It's suicidal doing 150 on public roads, leave alone 300.
Quote:
Just how did that guy manage to do such speeds in conditions like these?

IMHO, these days I see a lot of newbie riders with absolutely no riding experience buy exotic bikes. They just do not understand the power these bikes generate and have no idea of proper braking techniques. Added to this, there is no formal riding training/certification, no graduated licensing system, no awareness of safety and poor infrastructure. Going on our roads is akin to suicide these days! God knows where we are heading!
I fully agree with you. I ride to Adigas Kolar every other Sunday and on the way these SBKs pass me at speeds close to 200 kmph. The road is good but there are the usual dogs, cattle, tractors crossing the road any and every where. I had a dog hit on this road in my car going at 110 kmph, so even at 110 -120 if a dog decides to run out you cannot do a thing. Leave alone 180 - 200 that these bikes do.

Then at Adigas, where they usually have breakfast, it is a SBK festival of sorts with about 10-15 of Busas, R1s, fireblades, et al. Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20141130_082548.jpg
Some riders come with no protective gear at all while others are well geared up. But all the gear in the world will not protect you in collisions at these speeds.
goandude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:40   #17079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
But all the gear in the world will not protect you in collisions at these speeds.
You know what they say about cars with a lot of safety features, 6+ airbags, etc.: You can have all the safety kit in the world in your car, but you can still be in a freak accident that kills you.

When you're on a two-wheeler, I think the opposite applies: Irrespective of what kit you're wearing (or not) on a two-wheeler, you might be lucky enough to be in a freak accident that you walk away from unhurt.
Old 2nd February 2015, 13:03   #17080
Team-BHP Support

I come across some of these irresponsible bikers in the BSK 2nd Stage and Jayanagar 3rd/4th Block area almost every weekend. They don't wear any gear, accelerate/brake-check others for fun, try to pull wheelies and act like low-life scum in general. Some of them are sadistic enough to intentionally sneak up on unsuspecting pedestrians/bikers and then rev/take-off loudly, startling some people to the point of causing an accident. I was almost a victim myself last weekend, when I managed to locate this idiot in the mirrors sneaking up behind me with seconds to spare and was able to warn my wife riding pillion to expect an aural assault. Another couple on a scooter ahead (no helmets) were not so lucky and got a mighty scare. The guy barely managed to keep the scooter from toppling while this idiot zoomed off and nearly crashed into traffic waiting at the signal ahead.
Old 2nd February 2015, 13:07   #17081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Indeed! The youth of our country are not properly trained to ride these superbikes, nor are they blessed with adequate conditions to do so.
Good joke! They are not trained at all! How many of us go to driving school to learn to ride bikes, even regular ones? My elder teaches me, I teach my junior, and so on. The pupils pick up all the follies of the teacher, and then have to unlearn some of them as they go along. The worthy who taught me told me to never touch the front brake!

Come to think of it, how many worthwhile schools are there to teach car driving? And what kind of instructors do they have? Semi literate ex-drivers, that is all.
Gansan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 14:36   #17082
BHPian

In Krishna district, at least five persons were killed in a lorry-auto-rickshaw collision at Pedapalaparru village under Mudinepalli mandal. Four more injured were admitted to the Government Hospital in Gudivada. In yet another accident, two persons were killed when the car in which they were travelling hit a roadside tree at Pitchaturu village in Chittoor district.

http://www.thehansindia.com/posts/in...cidents-129151
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:15   #17083
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like ECR for Chennai is what Kanakpura road is for Bangalore

Looks like case of an overtaking over the continuous white line gone bad. Only, the crash would've happened even if there wasn't a continuous line, given the apparent speed of the bike.

This is something you see all the time on Kanakpura road. The crowd has this suicidal tendency to overtake on curves and narrow bunds/bridges in spite of neatly-painted continuous white lines that prohibit doing so.

But did the collision actually occur close to where the Etios is lying? I can't figure out.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 2nd February 2015 at 15:20.
Old 2nd February 2015, 16:33   #17084
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday came across a fleet of super bikes on nh17, on a 2lane stretch many of them were riding pretty carelessly and overtaking dangerously.
this is the outcome if the luck runs out, howeverin this case the etios seems to have come out of its lane..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Interesting. If you see - the debris of the R1 was almost 50m (?) from where the Etios had stopped. Can that imply something about the bike's speed?
Old 2nd February 2015, 17:17   #17085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post

Looks like case of an overtaking over the continuous white line gone bad. Only, the crash would've happened even if there wasn't a continuous line, given the apparent speed of the bike.
It's not a continuous white line. It's a regular dashed line straight section. It's possible that the bike was tailing the faster cars we see later in the video. Given how people drive on ECR, the Etios seems to have made a move to overtake something right after passing the faster cars and caught the biker. Even if the bike was doing 120 kmph, which I really doubt, and the Etios a healthy 80, they will be closing in at an alarming 55 meters per second.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks