Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2015, 18:22   #17116
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Road rage by pachyderms

In a 'mammoth' display of strength and anger, a herd of elephants went on the rampage, blocking traffic for hours after one of their members was killed by an over speeding car on the Krishnagiri-Hosur national highway late on Tuesday night.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46139083.cms
Sad - and they cross every year. I mean, shouldn't there be an elephant corridor there then? Surely we can create some way that they can cross over without walking into traffic?
Old 6th February 2015, 18:35   #17117
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm fine with the mammoth pun.

I'm also fine with the destruction of the car, and have to admit that I'm not so fine with the occupants escaping scot free. Well, not so free really: they lost the car. Let's hope the insurance company doesn't pay for it. Let's hope they learnt the expensive lesson. Let's also recognise that they might be truly sorry for what they did.

And, on a final note, what astonishing animals elephants are!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 23:54   #17118
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I think the unfortunate chap driving the car should be cut some slack.

Middle of the night - 6 lane highway - many stretches with no shrubs in the divider - hence lots of glare from oncoming traffic - absolutely non-reflective surface of the elephants skin - entirely possible that the driving was sedate but poor visibility did him in. Also, since the two colliding objects weigh similar, the damage would have been maximum.

Had it been a single lane highway, there would be less chances of collision, as the elephants themselves would have made a better judgement on "when to cross after the flashing lights have passed"

I don't think the authorities were unaware of the well-known elephant corridor, when sanctioning the road-widening. Afterall, permissions would definitely be needed from the forest dept, before the land acquisition begins.

And who paid the price ? a cute little guy

Last edited by venkyhere : 6th February 2015 at 23:55.
venkyhere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 00:49   #17119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm fine with the mammoth pun.

I'm also fine with the destruction of the car, and have to admit that I'm not so fine with the occupants escaping scot free. Well, not so free really: they lost the car. Let's hope the insurance company doesn't pay for it. Let's hope they learnt the expensive lesson. Let's also recognise that they might be truly sorry for what they did.

And, on a final note, what astonishing animals elephants are!
Strongly disagree with your sentiments.
Was there a Warning sign to warn motorists that it was an Emephant passing corridor and motorists need to be extra careful or slow ? If not, then no one has the authority or right to blame the motorist.

Nobody willingly rams his/her vehicle into a mammoth animal, unless the fellow is on a suicide mission. I really wish that the motorist is well and the insurance guys pay up for this damage of his.

I sympathize with the motorist who was affected because of this incident (I wouldn't neccesarily call it an accident).

PS: I love animals too, but there has to be a line drawn between intentional harm and accidents/incidents !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Though I do get the funny side of your statement gurudutt, I feel extremely sad and sorry for these animals.
At least from the article, it appears that the Polo was doing some high speed run to knock down a calf dead. If my assumption is true, I only wish the driver of the car is punished for this infanticide.
I would have probably cheered the destruction of the car if I was around after what the driver did to the calf.
Everyone involved in an accident is labelled as "high speed driving". No, it is not the case. Highway speeds are high speeds.
A baby elephant came in the way of the car, the car didn't aim at the elephant and ram it.

Please, let us be realistic, rather than emotional for the elephant.
No one seems to be bothered that the wildlife deparment did not put up borders / railings across the crossing areas or put up any warning signs, if they knew that it was an elephant passing coridoor.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 7th February 2015 at 00:56.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 06:09   #17120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

PS: I love animals too, but there has to be a line drawn between intentional harm and accidents/incidents !!

Everyone involved in an accident is labelled as "high speed driving". No, it is not the case. Highway speeds are high speeds.
A baby elephant came in the way of the car, the car didn't aim at the elephant and ram it.

Please, let us be realistic, rather than emotional for the elephant.
No one seems to be bothered that the wildlife deparment did not put up borders / railings across the crossing areas or put up any warning signs, if they knew that it was an elephant passing coridoor.
I'd say it is a bit more complicated than that. Animals like dogs or even cows are known to suddenly dart across the road, which result in animal hits (no different from deer hits overseas).

I'm not sure but in my limited sightings of elephants in the wild (only 4-5 times) they didn't seem like animals that would make such sudden movements.

The key question is - if the Polo was at the mandated speed limit, would it still have hit it?

Of course, none of us were there so this is still speculation.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 11:09   #17121
BHPian

Accident on Zirakpur Flyover yesterday. Pictures taken by a friend of mine.

Vehicles Involved:-

1. An Auto
2. A Pajero
3. Two i20
4. A motorcycle

Street racing between the Pajero and one of the i20's. They reportedly jumped over to the other side of the road crushing the other three vehicles (i20, auto and the bike). When will people learn not to race on the streets. You need to keep your ego at home once you get on a vehicle. The Pajero is reportedly of the Sarpanch of Zirakpur.

Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-aiyeorr9d_eie3ffgpapuxzoqrxjcku_kxol8rza2zt.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ajsjsvmrh7fdaldedqajszrtkqvaunphehnej7imqqe.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-aqymzz1fgax9gzvbj6inc9cx6s4eoqqdhtco_v_bdwba.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-at4h5jqrxlukxvf3wjskrwvh5skhriez3ukfkshg0wwc.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-atcchoawts2ycp8axsz9pt90ksji4gsnmkgteybrikmv.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ano3pqc6u3ajkb9zv4berzxi7ijcyfkwvs6bvrpnitvc.jpg  

Last edited by munchy_cool : 7th February 2015 at 11:13.
munchy_cool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 14:48   #17122
BHPian

Thursday evening, between Doddnekkundi and KR Puram railway station, saw scratch marks on road and an unconscious man on an otherwise empty road around 9 pm. There was enough crowd (and few were trying to reach ambulance and police). Dont know what happened!
Old 7th February 2015, 15:10   #17123
Senior - BHPian

If you look at the Video carefully and also the pictures the I 20 which is more badly damaged is a 2 Door version.

Is I 20 2 door available in India
Attached Images

Last edited by manikjeet : 7th February 2015 at 15:12.
manikjeet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 22:37   #17124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
If you look at the Video carefully and also the pictures the I 20 which is more badly damaged is a 2 Door version.

Is I 20 2 door available in India
Wow, nice catch.
Even I did not know a coupe was available in India. This one is indeed unique and unfortunately lost in this accident
Old 8th February 2015, 11:01   #17125
Senior - BHPian

The i20 in all probability would have been modified to a two door.
I don't think the two door is for sale on India.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 11:04   #17126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The front door is bigger and the B pillar is moved backwards. Moreover rear glass house is not the same as 4 door. you can't change the B pillar and C pillar design and make it look so clean. It looks like a 2 door import. Perhaps imported by the plant and sold later on.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 13:03   #17127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Wow, nice catch.
Even I did not know a coupe was available in India. This one is indeed unique and unfortunately lost in this accident
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The front door is bigger and the B pillar is moved backwards. Moreover rear glass house is not the same as 4 door. you can't change the B pillar and C pillar design and make it look so clean. It looks like a 2 door import. Perhaps imported by the plant and sold later on.
This has been discussed in one of the other threads.
This was an export model i20 which somehow got sold in India.
Old 8th February 2015, 13:10   #17128
BHPian

AP and TG news channel TV9 presenter Badri died in a road accident today at Dwaraka Tirumala in West Godavari district.

Apparently he lost control of the car after the front tyre burst and ended up hitting a tree. He died on the spot while his family is battling in the hospital.

It was not a very high speed incident but he was not wearing a seat belt and there were no airbags in that car.

He is a pretty famous person in the Telugu speaking states. May his soul rest in peace. Hope the family pulls through.
Old 8th February 2015, 13:15   #17129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
This has been discussed in one of the other threads.
This was an export model i20 which somehow got sold in India.
How was it "somehow" sold here? How does one go about getting him/herself an export model?

PS: a 3dr i20 with wheel caps? Sad
Old 8th February 2015, 13:25   #17130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
How was it "somehow" sold here? How does one go about getting him/herself an export model?

PS: a 3dr i20 with wheel caps? Sad
Might be off topic here.
I really dont know how, may be these were rejects or surplus and someone with a contact in Hyundai got hold of it.

PS:An acquaintance has a Left Hand drive santro; never got a chance to ask him as to how he got it
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks