Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2015, 19:44   #17131
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Idiots wont learn. Racing in the streets. Racing in a safe environment killed Senna and a whole lot of others. I wish sometimes we have the mid east kind of punishment for these drivers. Just chop their limbs off for punishments due to speeding(which ends up hurting someone else).

Damn these idiots.
Old 8th February 2015, 20:11   #17132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
AP and TG news channel TV9 presenter Badri died in a road accident today at Dwaraka Tirumala in West Godavari district.

Apparently he lost control of the car after the front tyre burst and ended up hitting a tree. He died on the spot while his family is battling in the hospital.

It was not a very high speed incident but he was not wearing a seat belt and there were no airbags in that car.

He is a pretty famous person in the Telugu speaking states. May his soul rest in peace. Hope the family pulls through.
Any idea about the make/model of the car?
Old 8th February 2015, 23:59   #17133
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a narrow escape today. I was returning from Durgapur to Kolkata. Time was around 8pm. I was driving in the right lane in good speed. A truck was in the left lane around 50-80 meters away. Suddenly both the rear left wheels of the truck caught fire and it came off from the differential and both the wheels from the left came to the right lane in front of me! At that moment i was in good speeds and two burning wheels are coming towards me ! I just shifted down, gunned the accelerator pedal and swerved my car to the right going down from the road and escaped hitting the burning wheels! After getting back to the road i looked in my rear view mirror and saw all the vehicles behind were crazily going zig zag to avoid the wheels and soon i heard a loud bang. That truck just turn turtle'd and caught fire!

Few question's raised in my mind, for which i don't have the answers!

1)Did the tyres burst and then caught fire or due to fire the tyres started burning!

2) How on earth can two wheels just come off like that!

3) And thirdly the left side wheels got off from the differential, so how those wheels managed to come to the right lane of the highway!

What i used to see in Hollywood flicks i saw it in front of me! Indian highways are totally unpredictable! One need to be super alert all the time.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 06:46   #17134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Had a narrow escape today. I was returning from Durgapur to Kolkata. Time was around 8pm. I was driving in the right lane in good speed. A truck was in the left lane around 50-80 meters away. Suddenly both the rear left wheels of the truck caught fire and it came off from the differential and both the wheels from the left came to the right lane in front of me! At that moment i was in good speeds and two burning wheels are coming towards me ! I just shifted down, gunned the accelerator pedal and swerved my car to the right going down from the road and escaped hitting the burning wheels! After getting back to the road i looked in my rear view mirror and saw all the vehicles behind were crazily going zig zag to avoid the wheels and soon i heard a loud bang. That truck just turn turtle'd and caught fire!

Few question's raised in my mind, for which i don't have the answers!

1)Did the tyres burst and then caught fire or due to fire the tyres started burning!

2) How on earth can two wheels just come off like that!

3) And thirdly the left side wheels got off from the differential, so how those wheels managed to come to the right lane of the highway!

What i used to see in Hollywood flicks i saw it in front of me! Indian highways are totally unpredictable! One need to be super alert all the time.
Thank God you are safe. It is difficult to predict what is in store for us while driving on highways.
May be it was a case wherein both the rear left tyres had heated up a lot resulting in smoke. Also some of the bolts would have loosened paving the way for the wheels to come off.

Last edited by suresh_gs : 9th February 2015 at 06:50.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 07:42   #17135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

Phew! You were indeed lucky to walk away unscathed. Our highways are the epitome of unpredictability! I had a close call last week while going to Thrissur. A 4 lane highway, early morning and clear roads- perfect conditions for a relaxing ride as we might think, but not for long. I was in the right lane cruising at around 120-130kph. The road ahead of me was having a turn to the right. As my visibility was hampered, I decelerated a bit. Just when I was about midway into the turn, a Maruti Esteem which was traveling in the opposite direction, lost control and crashed over the median and into my lane!! For a moment, I was lost in a sense of impending doom, but quickly braked, downshifted and swerved the car to the left and avoided a head-on collision! I still shudder to think what would have happened, had I not decelerated when I entered the curve!

To my dear bhp-ians and fellow readers of the forum, PLEASE DO NOT accelerate/overtake in a curve blindly trusting the road conditions. It might seem safe in certain instances, but one can never truly know what's waiting at the other end of the curve. The tug between your sense and ego might be the deciding factor of whether you live to drive another day or not!!
GKR9900 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 08:39   #17136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Any idea about the make/model of the car?
These pics are of accident involved with Telugu news channel TV9 presenter Badri. May his soul rest in peace.

Vehicle seems like Swift Dzire LDI/VDI, I have seen the DDIS logo on the front fender in news and the following pictures also confirm it is Dzire.
One can notice it's not a hatch
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ddis_3.jpg

Door is quite evident it's Maruti
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ddis_1.jpg

Damage is quite nasty inside outside
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ddis_2.jpg

As per the news article car does not have air bags, so it should be either LDI or VDI. Speculated reason for the accident is tyre blast, which needs to be ascertained.

Source:Deccan Chronicle

Last edited by hillsnrains : 9th February 2015 at 08:41.
Old 9th February 2015, 10:04   #17137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
These pics are of accident involved with Telugu news channel TV9 presenter Badri. May his soul rest in peace.

Vehicle seems like Swift Dzire LDI/VDI
Damage is quite nasty inside outside
Looking at the damage, I don't think even seat belts & airbags would have saved the passengers - slim chance of survival with that much structural damage.
Old 9th February 2015, 10:21   #17138
BHPian

Saw this Swift (ZXI/ZDI?) with right fender gone in front of Total Mall Doddankundi. Seems like a scrapping incident but didn't notice any other vehicle around. This junction is notorious for people taking the service lane to pass the signal faster and right after the signal, they come on to the main lane.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150209_090805.jpg  

Old 9th February 2015, 11:00   #17139
BHPian

Quote:
AP and TG news channel TV9 presenter Badri died in a road accident today at Dwaraka Tirumala in West Godavari district.

Apparently he lost control of the car after the front tyre burst and ended up hitting a tree. He died on the spot while his family is battling in the hospital.

It was not a very high speed incident but he was not wearing a seat belt and there were no airbags in that car.

He is a pretty famous person in the Telugu speaking states. May his soul rest in peace. Hope the family pulls through.
News reports are not stating his younger son too has succumbed to his injuries. May their soul RIP.
Old 9th February 2015, 12:27   #17140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
News reports are not stating his younger son too has succumbed to his injuries. May their soul RIP.
From the impact I am not sure if any car would have been able to save the occupants.

However it is sad to see people ready to spend money on alloy and after market seat covers (from the pic above) by dropping top end variants which has safety features.

And yes, the initial post mentions about seat belts not used.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 12:51   #17141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
I guess you meant "News reports are now stating his younger son too has succumbed to his injuries."

The other two (Older son and Badri's wife) are out of danger now.

Police are saying that they could have had a fighting chance had they worn the seat belts and the car had airbags.

It is frustrating to see learned and rich folks too not paying attention to basic safety features in cars. Earlier it was Nandamuri Janaki Ram and now Badri.

Unless you can't afford it, you should get a car that has airbags, ABS and you should make it a point to have everyone in your car strapped up always.

RIP to the departed souls.
venuvedam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 13:11   #17142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Thursday evening, between Doddnekkundi and KR Puram railway station, saw scratch marks on road and an unconscious man on an otherwise empty road around 9 pm. There was enough crowd (and few were trying to reach ambulance and police). Dont know what happened!
Not sure whether you are talking about the Fluidic Verna accident on the road towards Hoodi junction.

While on the way to office today, I happened to see a black Fluidic Verna with the left side passenger door crumpled near the Bhoruka but stop (Near Hoodi Feeder) and cops standing near to it. Looked like a high speed maneuver as the lamp/ad post had taken a hit. Anybody has information about it? Could not click pics as I was riding

Regards,
AutoAficionado
Old 9th February 2015, 14:24   #17143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoAficionado View Post
Not sure whether you are talking about the Fluidic Verna accident on the road towards Hoodi junction.

While on the way to office today, I happened to see a black Fluidic Verna with the left side passenger door crumpled near the Bhoruka but stop (Near Hoodi Feeder) and cops standing near to it. Looked like a high speed maneuver as the lamp/ad post had taken a hit. Anybody has information about it? Could not click pics as I was riding

Regards,
AutoAficionado

Is this happened after the hump? As part of whitefield phase I traffic diversions, all vehicles coming from ABB towards Hoodi are forced to crisscross near the switchyard as the other road is permanently closed at Hoody Jn. If the spot is the above one then the verna might have been coming from the graphite india towards hoodi/itpl and while at the crisscross somebody who was going in the left side road have caused this.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 9th February 2015 at 14:26.
Old 9th February 2015, 15:09   #17144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless you can't afford it, you should get a car that has airbags, ABS and you should make it a point to have everyone in your car strapped up always.

RIP to the departed souls.
Agree RIP to the departed souls. However is there any car at all in the market that has the low / mid range variants ship with airbags and ABS? Yes I know about VW but they're priced well on the premium edge of the market.
Old 9th February 2015, 15:22   #17145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Agree RIP to the departed souls. However is there any car at all in the market that has the low / mid range variants ship with airbags and ABS? Yes I know about VW but they're priced well on the premium edge of the market.
Toyota Liva Diesel, you can pay 20K extra for safety kit which means 2 airbags. ABS is standard.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks