Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2015, 15:19   #17221
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit80 View Post

Surely, love the build quality of ford vehicles. I also own a ford and can say that they really tough!!!
What build quality are you talking about in this particular case? I am sorry but that sounds very fanboy-ish.

The cabin on that ecosport has caved in and if the occupants have indeed survived, they should just be thanking God! It's pure luck!

EDIT: Having said that, it looks like a case of the car rear-ending the truck, going under it and the truck did not have any under-run protection. In such a scenario, no car would have had it's cabin intact.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 19th February 2015 at 15:28.
Added_flavor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 15:32   #17222
BHPian

Quote:
Got this on facebook. It happened near Salem-Namakkal by-pass. News is that passengers are safe with minor scratches. Surely, love the build quality of ford vehicles. I also own a ford and can say that they really tough!!!
The images show that the air bags were deployed for the second row seats as well. This car must have had 6 airbags. Maybe that is the real reason why the passengers really survived without major injuries.
Old 19th February 2015, 15:34   #17223
Senior - BHPian

The driver side of the Ecosport is a mangled mess.

Ford cars are built well, but it looks like there were side airbags that were deployed , and that's what probably saved the occupant(s).
Old 19th February 2015, 15:41   #17224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
What build quality are you talking about in this particular case? I am sorry but that sounds very fanboy-ish.
Well as I wasn't the witness of this accident, so can't say for sure, but the statement that ford cars are built strong not just based one incident or view.
I have been involved in accident myself where I was hit by a truck sideways, taking away fender, front bumper, suspension and front door(left). And can tell you for sure, from inside I did not feel that much of impact. Only when I came out, I saw the extent of damage. So based on that was the judgement. And if the people survived, then I am sure it is good build quality, coz I believe good/solid build quality does not mean that the body does not get crushed at all but in case of severe accident like this can save life of the occupants. That's my opinion though, I could be wrong.
Rabbit80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 15:56   #17225
Senior - BHPian

These sand trucks don't have a history of using under-run bars, so the truck ladder annihilated the ford crossover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
The driver side of the Ecosport is a mangled mess.
Most of the 'mess' that we see are the mess the rescuers create in removing the stuck human beings inside the car. In this case, the Ecosport must have been stuck behind the sand truck, i suppose.

Last edited by ramzsys : 19th February 2015 at 16:01.
Old 19th February 2015, 17:19   #17226
BHPian

Quote:

The cabin on that ecosport has caved in and if the occupants have indeed survived, they should just be thanking God! It's pure luck!
I second that, its just sheer luck and common sense prevailing to belt up that might have saved the occupants. The truck seems to have lost its rear axle/differential altogether, not sure it this happened due to the impact or the rescue efforts later. If it happened due to the impact and the entire rear end of the truck sitting on the car, no vehicle could have born that brunt.
Old 19th February 2015, 17:38   #17227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Spotted this nasty multi-car pileup on the Lonavla ghats. These cars were coming down, right after that tricky tunnel which has a sharp turn at its exit (catches many drivers out).

On the right side of the bus were 3 smashed cars lying perpendicular to the road. A grey EcoSport in between, with a Superb (not visible in this pic) on the other side. Must say, the EcoSport took the sandwich surprisingly well. Strong structure . No one appeared hurt inside.
This surely must be on a Friday evening right? And towards Mumbai that is.

I was driving Ahmedabad same day and soon after the first Hair Pin after Amrutanjan Bridge, I saw 4 Trucks carrying Metro Coaches parked on the shoulder (where the Bus and the car are in the pic you shared). This must be around 3:30PM and the accident still had not happened.

I wonder how on earth these trucks are parked in such an unsafe manner as they appear out of nowhere soon after taking that high speed hair pin.

There was no accident(s) whatsoever then and we continued only to later realize that one of our friends shared an image from Whatsapp by capturing the aftermath of this very accident from the old NH4 route.

Apparently, it was a 7 car pile up which happened as soon as one or more cars lost control spotting these series of trucks parked and banged against each other resulting a serial collision!!
Old 19th February 2015, 17:53   #17228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What build quality are you talking about in this particular case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
I second that, its just sheer luck and common sense prevailing to belt up that might have saved the occupants.
Sheer luck does play a part in accident survival but please don’t discount the importance of the build quality and safety systems. As a few other members mentioned above, the presence of side/curtain airbags and also good side impact protection may have aided the passengers’ survival.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 22:26   #17229
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ksrtc.jpg

Got this from my friend. It is one of the wheel of KSRTC Mercedes Benz Multi Axle Bus plying between hyderabad and bangalore. One of the Passengers heard sounds. Informed the Driver. But the Driver shrugged off and told it must be a flat tyre and continued to drive. After another co-passengers joined and argued, the driver stopped the bus and investigated. Even the crew did not have expertise in changing the wheel

But how can the tyre just melt to this extent. Even if it a flat tyre, the tyre just would rotate, since it is a multi axle bus. My theory is the wheel must got have jammed. It was plain stupidity of the Driver to drive the Bus even after the Passenger informed about the sound. Will try to get more info

Last edited by Sarvodaya : 19th February 2015 at 22:29.
Sarvodaya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 22:50   #17230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Got this from my friend. It is one of the wheel of KSRTC Mercedes Benz Multi Axle Bus plying between hyderabad and bangalore. One of the Passengers heard sounds. Informed the Driver. But the Driver shrugged off and told it must be a flat tyre and continued to drive. After another co-passengers joined and argued, the driver stopped the bus and investigated. Even the crew did not have expertise in changing the wheel

But how can the tyre just melt to this extent. Even if it a flat tyre, the tyre just would rotate, since it is a multi axle bus. My theory is the wheel must got have jammed. It was plain stupidity of the Driver to drive the Bus even after the Passenger informed about the sound. Will try to get more info
This is some next level of stupidity. If I were the bus company, I would get an arrest warranty out on the driver and cleaner.
Old 19th February 2015, 22:55   #17231
BHPian

Quote:

Got this from my friend. It is one of the wheel of KSRTC Mercedes Benz Multi Axle Bus plying between hyderabad and bangalore.
Shared in our forum under "intercity bus travel reviews" in Commercial vehicle thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ml#post3645207
Old 19th February 2015, 22:56   #17232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1341646

Probably the tire was flat much before the passengers heard the sound which would have started once the tire started shredding and hitting the bodywork.
Since it is the tire on the tag axle, the driver wouldn't have realized.

Don't these buses come with some indication on the dash of pressure loss in a tyre?
Old 20th February 2015, 11:17   #17233
BHPian

Quote:
Got this on facebook. It happened near Salem-Namakkal by-pass. News is that passengers are safe with minor scratches. Surely, love the build quality of ford vehicles. I also own a ford and can say that they really tough!!!
This is terrible..any idea how this happened. The passengers are really lucky.
Sad part is that its a Brand new Ford.
Old 20th February 2015, 11:21   #17234
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1341646

These guys have no regards for the vehicle or passengers what so ever. I have seen the airport Volvo drivers doing all sorts of things, one guys almost always ends up stalling an automatic transmission too. As is, these vehicles are overused and the drivers just make it worse by abusing them. But i would still trust KSRTC over any private operators from my experience.
Old 20th February 2015, 12:43   #17235
BHPian

Quote:
Well as
coz I believe good/solid build quality does not mean that the body does not get crushed at all but in case of severe accident like this can save life of the occupants. That's my opinion though, I could be wrong.
I agree! A car should do it's best to absorb the force of the impact while keeping the cabin intact. That is the key! (only if the passengers are belted up ) This is the point of crumple zones in the bonnet of a car (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumple_zone)!

My grand father was in his SX4 when the driver hit the gas pedal instead of the brake and rammed into a Nano(who incidentally cut lanes into his path at a TOLL GATE! ). Luckily, both were belted up and the car had airbags. The car took the impact very very well, and was a mangled mess! The cabin was intact, but the doors had to be ripped out using a hydraulic claws. The engine bay was completely crumpled! Both my grand father and the driver escaped with minor injuries. The Nano was not damaged that much! The driver did get bruised pretty badly though.
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed