Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2015, 18:09   #17281
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
He seemed to have simply left the scene of accident. .
The constable leaving the scene on bike has got many interesting comments elsewhere- some said he just escaped. Imagine if he had let go the truck and went on to attend the injured. Then when the accused is produced in court who will provide the evidence? The people around can well call the ambulance. There are always more than 1 constables around.

For those who are not aware, Columbia Asia hospital is just a stone's throw away.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 27th February 2015 at 18:10. Reason: Clarification
Old 27th February 2015, 18:19   #17282
Senior - BHPian

There are media reports that the constable chased down the driver and proved two things thus :

1) If the trucks brakes stopped for the Cop, they sure might as well have stopped for the red light

2) And immediately subjected him to a alcohol test.

These two things will strengthen the case hope all the social media, and other media hooplah's around such rare 'caught' on video accidents get the quickest and strictest punishment ASAP.
svsantosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 18:28   #17283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post

Even after completion of skywalk 90% people cross the road. Skywalks have become shelters for homeless and after dark activities.

I am in favor of skywalks its a very simple and safe solution, I always use them its safe and stress free to walk on. It takes me a couple of minutes extra unfortunately a lot of people want to try save that time.
It is natural tendency for people to take the shortest route to cross to the other side. This happens even in railway stations - people just jump down the platforms, cross the tracks and climb up again. Jumping down and climbing up takes extra effort than on the roads so we see lesser people crossing the tracks.

Climbing stairs (sky-walk or subway) is strenuous so people will tend to avoid them - even at the risk of accidents.

A report on the Mumbai survey here.
Old 27th February 2015, 18:41   #17284
Senior - BHPian

The Hebbal Accident was a bad one.

The truck was over speeding and would have gained that speed since the stretch from the end of the elevated highway to the Hebbal flyover ramp is a slope. Eye witness say that the truck jumped the speed breaker which was just ahead, which means either the driver was speeding knowingly to go through before the pedestrian signal turned red , or he had lost control of the truck.

After viewing the video, the first thought was brake failure, but then the truck would have continued running over vehicles if that was the case.

Another point that I noticed, sadly, is that those who were crossing and happened to look up the road were the ones who escaped. The girl who passed, did not look up , which I don't blame her for since when the signal is green for the pedestrian, they need not bother looking ideally, but sadly this is India.

RIP to the departed, could have happened to any one.
Old 27th February 2015, 19:25   #17285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Another point that I noticed, sadly, is that those who were crossing and happened to look up the road were the ones who escaped.
In India, you have to look both ways to cross a one-way road. Extending that, it pays to watch both ways, even when light is green for pedestrians.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 20:15   #17286
BHPian

Today had bit of an incident.

I was on main road going towards Kodigehalli railway gate (Bangalore) around 10:00 am. As I was passing an intersection, a Wagon R car guy came from a side road without checking on to the main road. Guessed he would crash into me and I honked, but it was of no use. He ultimately rammed into me. :(

As it was during office hours, I was certainly driving slowly.

As usual people started honking from behind and by the time I could take my car aside, he ran away. I could take only his car number photo.

Damages:
Left rear door dent and scratches.
Few scratches on left rear wheel arc.
Running board damaged.

Checked with Hebbal Traffic police on filing FIR (hit and run), due to today's protest near Hebbal flyover, they were busy and have asked me to go there tomorrow morning.

Thinking of below options,
1. Get it repaired myself (Skoda quote ~30K). Either by insurance or outside.
2. File complaint against the WagonR driver and ask for compensation (cash or his insurance).

Consider how the police work, I am spectacle of 2nd option.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20150227_09_47_29_raw.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20150227_09_47_35_raw.jpg  

Old 27th February 2015, 20:30   #17287
Senior - BHPian

Hm maybe this is out of date wrt data?

http://btis.in/rto says can't find anything about KA04MN6171
Old 27th February 2015, 20:47   #17288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Hm maybe this is out of date wrt data?

http://btis.in/rto says can't find anything about KA04MN6171

BTP would not post owners details due to privacy. I may have to go to Bangalore One center.

EDIT:
He has this fine though.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 6357
Size:  19.9 KB

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 27th February 2015 at 20:57.
Old 28th February 2015, 00:56   #17289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
When innocents pay the price it is always heart wrenching to see :( Crossing on the zebra line, stopping at red light yet they unfortunately paid a heavy price.

Driver was over speeding, drunk blah blah the list will go on but unfortunately the lives lost will never be regained.

Our overall apathy towards following road laws, enforcing said laws, maintaining proper infra for pedestrians and two wheelers is just plain sad and scary.
Yes, unfortunately the loss cannot be undone and in such cases where we pay the price for no apparent fault of ours, it's rather sad.
Old 28th February 2015, 03:15   #17290
BHPian

A terrible accident in Mangalore ( Nanthoor Junction). This is a very accident prone area.

3 dead and 3 injured. Just see how the Alto has crumpled.

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=300208
Old 28th February 2015, 05:23   #17291
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
A terrible accident in Mangalore ( Nanthoor Junction). This is a very accident prone area.
I am always awestruck to see hundreds of people just hanging around these major accidents. 99% of these people are of no help to anyone - the victims, or the police, or the emergency workers. I always wonder what does it take to inculcate a culture of getting on with things without hampering the work of emergency workers. Curiosity needs to have some bounds associated with it. If one is of no help - make way for the experts, and help the traffic move on. Maybe there is another ambulance with a heart attack victim a mile behind on the same road. I have seen an instance (while stuck in a bus) where Hoysala police had to resort to lathi charge before medics could enter the area.

The value of controlling curiosity and staying clear of such areas should be taught in schools, and practiced from childhood. Often such people are clueless youngsters.

Last edited by prasadee : 28th February 2015 at 05:25.
prasadee is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 12:42   #17292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post

Yes it is, 3 innocent lives lost for no fault of theirs. This is one chaotic junction and in the past 6 months there have been 4 fatal accidents. Yet the authorities don't seem to wake up from their deep slumber. Actually last night, the relatives of the deceased and locals did a snap protest at the location and were caned away (lathi charge) by the police!!
http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=300315

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
I am always awestruck to see hundreds of people just hanging around these major accidents. 99% of these people are of no help to anyone - the victims, or the police, or the emergency workers. I always wonder what does it take to inculcate a culture of getting on with things without hampering the work of emergency workers. Curiosity needs to have some bounds associated with it. If one is of no help - make way for the experts, and help the traffic move on. Maybe there is another ambulance with a heart attack victim a mile behind on the same road. I have seen an instance (while stuck in a bus) where Hoysala police had to resort to lathi charge before medics could enter the area.

The value of controlling curiosity and staying clear of such areas should be taught in schools, and practiced from childhood. Often such people are clueless youngsters.
. Could not agree with you more. As per eye witness accounts, many people did aid in the rescue operation, but most of them were just there to watch and click their phone camera's away to glory. I find this act very inhuman and insensitive. These people instead of helping, the first thing they do is remove their cellphone and start clicking pictures even with the injured still in the vehicle. Then they share these sensitive images through messaging apps.

My request to them is to at least spare a thought for the injured / deceased and aid in their rescue, then after the scene is cleared get along with the photography.
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:03   #17293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post

. Could not agree with you more. As per eye witness accounts, many people did aid in the rescue operation, but most of them were just there to watch and click their phone camera's away to glory. I find this act very inhuman and insensitive. These people instead of helping, the first thing they do is remove their cellphone and start clicking pictures even with the injured still in the vehicle. Then they share these sensitive images through messaging apps.

My request to them is to at least spare a thought for the injured / deceased and aid in their rescue, then after the scene is cleared get along with the photography.
+1 to the thoughts. This reminds me of an accident that took place around 15 days ago near my home at around 11.30pm in the night.

My wife & I were returning from a marriage ceremony at around 11.30pm. Just 2 kms before our home, we found an Ambassador which had hit the divider. There were around 10 people around it. We would have probably not stopped that late in the night fearing it might be a trap but since I saw approx. 10 people standing & helping out, We thought of helping.

I immediately parked my car on the side & went to see the situation. The car was Chauffer driven. On the front seat was a middle aged man with his around 12 year old daughter. On the back seat were 3 ladies & a gentlemen. Judging by the attire I realized that they were coming back from some marriage as well. Till that time people had managed to open the front passenger side door & got the Father-daughter out (All doors had got jammed due to the accident). Father had minor visible bruises but the little girl was bleeding profusely from her head. I immediately took out my handkerchief & gave it to the father to cover the girl's head injury. In the meanwhile I saw that people had managed to open a rear door. A lady (girls mother) jumped out to see her daughter not realizing she was bleeding from her forehead too.

I asked the father-mother & daughter to come into my car. My wife gave them water & we were off to the nearest hospital. My wife called the emergency & got the stretchers ready. Got mother & daughter admitted. By this time a police sergeant had come to the hospital. I explained him the whole situation. He thanked me & told me report it again by dialing 100. Not sure why he wanted me to do that. I gave the father my number & told him to call me if there is a problem. I left the scene around 12.30om & came back home.

Two days later got call from the father thanking me for the help. On inquiring, he told me that his daughter & wife are in the hospital but doing fine.

Felt relieved.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:23   #17294
Team-BHP Support

Does someone have an idea if there's any proposal for a sky-walk in front of Ecospace, or a petition for it at least?

If anything, that spot is a much bigger danger zone than the Esteem Mall crossing due to the sheer number of people who work in the campus and the number of lanes of crazy zig-zagging traffic crossing it. It's a scary and cringe-inducing stretch irrespective of time of day.
Old 3rd March 2015, 00:10   #17295
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Two days later got call from the father thanking me for the help. On inquiring, he told me that his daughter & wife are in the hospital but doing fine. Felt relieved. Regards,Pawan
Thanks for sharing such a wonderful personal experience. At the risk of stating the obvious - I do agree that building a culture of caring for other humans in distress needs to come first. Then the culture of curbing curiosity and not crowding the accident spot, making way for ambulance and such
prasadee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed