Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2015, 11:45   #17476
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by navsjab View Post
When an accident takes place, especially in India, the onlookers tend to avoid getting invloved and helping people in need. Also, as to what I hear, cops/the mob makes life miserable for people trying to give a helping hand.
This is correct to some extent. Nobody does come forward to help and when I jumped in to help, the first question I faced is 'Do you know the victim? Is he your relative?" Come on.... he is related to me in way that he is a fellow traveler who is few km ahead of me on the same road. To avoid the so called troubles with police and ambulance, I usually take the victim's cell phone and call the services. That way we get the information passed, my information is not tracked.

The good part is, if somebody takes initiative, people chip in. all they need is somebody to start. I did this 7 times so far, and every time people joined in pulling victims into shade, providing directions to the ambulance etc.,

Last year, one of our fellow BHPian who visited Leh picked up some victims near Rohtang pass and when he took them to hospital, they accused him of causing the accident. Luckily, some locals came to his rescue.

One funny incident - I found one guy in the middle of the road on national highway, on hot summer noon near nellore with head and face covered in blood, unconscious and his bike was strewn few meters away. Called Ambulance and he asked for some land mark. Well... there are just fields as far as eye can see and there is one tree. THATS it. I had to wait there till some local guy came by who could direct the ambulance.

ANY ideas how one should direct emergency services in such cases?
FORTified is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 13:48   #17477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
My personal observation is that pedestrians and bikers have gradually, through recent years become very unruly and irresponsible especially in bigger cities. ...
Quote:
I drive and walk on the same street. Given that I have to share the same infrastructure with cars, I think it makes sense for cars to maintain lower speeds and extra caution. ...
Quoted and replied on the Bad Drivers thread
Old 5th April 2015, 15:44   #17478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
The best way I can think of is using Google Maps and tracking your location and directing the the services accordingly.

In case a smartphone is not available recollect the last village or city you crossed and use it as reference. Since it is a highway the services responding to the call will be able to use that information.
Old 5th April 2015, 20:28   #17479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post

Check if there are any numbers on your toll ticket for that stretch and call them up. Or inform the said emergency services your distance from the recent toll booth (in case you've made a note of the ODO reading on the toll ticket)?
Old 5th April 2015, 21:04   #17480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
That's because pedestrians aren't provided with the necessary infrastructure. I drive and walk on the same street. Given that I have to share the same infrastructure with cars, I think it makes sense for cars to maintain lower speeds and extra caution. I've come so very close to running over a kid who just decided to run across the street. Couldn't touch the car for a few days. I want to speak rules, but instead I just drive slower.

Jaywalking is as stupid as a driver who thinks he owns the road, because he spent so many lakhs on so many horsepower which is superior to so many. Noticing an oncoming vehicle and yet crossing the road is just poor attitude, just like the biker who decides to suddenly cross your way. The only one stop solution for all this is - chill out with your music or conversation and drive slow, expecting the nonsense all the way and all the time. Just my 2 cents.
Fully agree with you. However there are many instances at least here in Delhi where there are underpasses and overpasses, even equipped with escalators and the pedestrians ignore them and cross the roads even if it means jumping over a fence. So many times I see people crossing right under or just a few yards from such a facility. In the centre of Delhi, Connaught Place, there are nice underpasses everywhere but 95% of the people just run through the sea of vehicles. We need the police to warn such people to use the provided facility. Another problem is that the people do not use their heads to first analyse the situation and then decide where to cross safely. People in India are used to just doing what comes to their mind. For example I see even educated people crossing busy roads wading through traffic when there is a traffic signal just 50-100 feet away. Many times they are going that way in any case but do not plan and decide where to cross. Another atrocious behaviour is when they cross midway and then walk along the median for a while which is very dangerous. The there are people who cross at a light without waiting for it to turn green in their direction. Even when there is a timer showing that it would change in say 20 seconds, they just wade their way through the vehicles putting out their hands. The same reason leads pedestrians and bicyclists to not even bother using a cheap reflector at night which would enhance their safety.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 01:14   #17481
BHPian

I agree with 'carrerastrax' upto an extent. But 'Lobogris' has hit it on the dot and has beautifully described the situation that I was trying to explain about in an even more elaborate way. Superb sir. One more thing I find most pathetic about the situation is the poor pedestrians fail to realise the extent of danger they're putting themselves and others in like if there is a genuine issue like a brake fail or skidding or the likes, which is even out of the motorists control, then they are as good as dead on the spot. Then you can't even blame anybody's ego. The point being, that mr pedestrian, you're the on ending up dead. Period. We had such cases last month in bangalore and other places up south, if I can remember with the tanker and lorry brake fails.

I hope the mods don't get peeved at me 'cause this is supposedly a PICS thread. Maybe we should start up a 'Pedestrian Blues' theard or something......
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 02:43   #17482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hope the mods don't get peeved
Perhaps they'll let me finish this one with the rhyme my father taught me nearly sixty years ago, about being a pedestrian and expecting motorists to respect my rights...
He was Right, Dead Right,
As he toddled along;
But he's Just as Dead
As if he'd been Wrong
Worth remembering, behind the wheel as well as on foot. Worth passing on to the children too.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 20:33   #17483
BHPian

This occurred a week ago on Shaikpet-Gachibowli road !

The time was around 1 in the midnight and we were returning after watching a movie. When we saw all the vehicles slowing down [ and were wondering whether it was a jam at that odd time] , we saw this toppled car on the other side. Since my friend was a dentist and might have some help to offer during first-aid, we decided to pull over [ And while getting to the side of the road, I saw a gbhp stickered Dzire [ new] with a family inside and thus did not care to honk/dip] . We rushed to the other side .

The Vento turned turtle and after watching the scene, I think it hit the median while maneuvering a curve [ in may be around 40-60kmph] . There was only the driver , who might have been drunk [ not sure] but he came out with a few injuries, thanks to the deployed airbags . My friend went to check on him and found him fine.

Funny thing was that the guy was pleading the people not to call his father but his friends and they will take care of the situation. Typical Indian child he is

And one more idiotic scene I saw there was the young guys [ aged around 17-20] taking selfies with the toppled car on the Background

Sorry for the bad quality pics. I felt embarrassed to take pics since many around me were taking selfies and I was not able to stand there watching that idiocy.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20150329_012300.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20150329_012309.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20150329_012332.jpg  

Last edited by poised2drive : 7th April 2015 at 20:34.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 08:13   #17484
BHPian

Happened this to a friend of mine somewhere near mangalore. He was driving at above 120 speeds until he lost control of the car then it went topsy a couple of times. With God's grace he made it in one piece with some minor injuries albeit the car seems to be a total loss!
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428460993.123365.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428461013.674767.jpg
Old 8th April 2015, 13:19   #17485
BHPian

This happened on the last day of Feb 2015 inside Bharath Electronics Campus, Bangalore. The road has speed breakers for every 100 meters and it is impossible for anyone to maintain speeds greater than 30-40 kmph. This accident too happened just 50 meters from speed breakers on either side.

I wondered what must have caused this apparently high-speed crash on a stretch which doesnt allow you to maintain high speed ?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1_img_20150228_131823.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1_img_20150228_131910.jpg

Last edited by Eddy : 8th April 2015 at 14:33. Reason: No gender discrimination allowed.
n_naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 14:49   #17486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Happened this to a friend of mine somewhere near mangalore. He was driving at above 120 speeds until he lost control of the car then it went topsy a couple of times. With God's grace he made it in one piece with some minor injuries albeit the car seems to be a total loss!
Attachment 1358295Attachment 1358296
Oh man! That's a gruesome crash. Thank god no one was sitting in the rear seat or else would have surely gone.
Did he lose control all of a sudden or he got distracted by something?

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd April 2015 at 14:39.
Old 8th April 2015, 19:20   #17487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil_Alto View Post
Oh man! That's a gruesome crash. Thank god no one was sitting in the rear seat or else would have surely gone.
Did he lose control all of a sudden or he got distracted by something?
Yes indeed, luckily there was no one sitting in the rear. He lost it when he tried to take a sharp curve at that speed without slowing down. He's really fortunate to escape that accident with minor bruises.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd April 2015 at 14:39.
Old 9th April 2015, 13:18   #17488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
This happened on the last day of Feb 2015 inside Bharath Electronics Campus, Bangalore. The road has speed breakers for every 100 meters and it is impossible for anyone to maintain speeds greater than 30-40 kmph. This accident too happened just 50 meters from speed breakers on either side.

I wondered what must have caused this apparently high-speed crash on a stretch which doesnt allow you to maintain high speed ?

Attachment 1358354

Attachment 1358355

Looks like the driver was distracted and probably stomped the accelerator, weird though it may sound.
I have witnessed a similar case wherein a person banged into a wall, while reversing.

Another possibility could be a speed breaker assisted take-off, resulting in loss of control but lower on the probability count because of the stretch being full of breakers.
Old 9th April 2015, 18:31   #17489
Senior - BHPian

An incident in Kerala - A woman who collapsed on the tracks was run over by a train. Two people were allegedly busy shooting the accident on mobile while they could have helped the woman get out of the train's way
Old 9th April 2015, 19:12   #17490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Attachment 1358295Attachment 1358296
Its been covered on this link. I have seen quite a few accidents on that curve(on the opposite downward curve also). Going up on that highway stretch at high speeds, those who don't use that stretch of highway often, that curve can be little alarming as it turns a bit too sharply.
http://www.mangalorean.com/mangaluru...at-high-speed/

Last edited by skanchan95 : 9th April 2015 at 19:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks