Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2015, 13:27   #17551
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

CCTV: Dramatic footage of bike accident in Mumbai

This was playing repeatedly on most of the news channels last evening. Not sure if it is a recent case or an old one.

I fear for the rider - seems to have suffered a near fatal blow.

Whose fault is it?
- Auto? Taking a u-turn in the middle of the road?
- Rider? No helmets & maybe overspeeding?
- Civic body? For keeping deep and big drain such as this uncovered?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 13:41   #17552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
All accidents are gory, and this whole thread exists just to remind everyone to remain alert and drive safe.

This set of pictures should be made into a poster as a reminder against drink-driving, so that any reader, sensitive or insensitive, does not forget the outcome of driving under the influence of alcohol.

I understand what you are saying.

Sorry if you took me the wrong way. I am all for graphic reminders of the fragility of human life. Be it on cigarette packets or such pictures. I even have an image of a woman being split in two to remind my friends to be safe on the roads.

Perhaps the shock value that the picture provides is indeed the most effective way of communicating the ease with which one can lose his/her life.

I just felt that perhaps the image will be a little too much for some of our younger readers to handle.

Peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
CCTV: Dramatic footage of bike accident in Mumbai
That is one terrible accident!

He is lucky to be alive. No helmet too. 1st year engineering student. Could easily have broken a rib or two given the speed and nature of impact with the stone slab.

That said, between the auto driver and the rider, I would put the blame on the rider.

He seems to be taking a left turn over there. He has no business coming in that fast when he has no sight of the road ahead looks like. Had it been a slow moving bullock cart in the middle of the road, he would've endured a similar fate. As for the auto driver, where else can he possibly take a U-Turn?

As for the civic body, I have always feared such accidents. Even in Bangalore, under the flyover that leads to Domlur from Old Airport Road. No barricades, no wall, no street lights. If someone bumps into you, you will have to face a 10ft fall into one of the stinkiest drains I have ever seen.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 1st May 2015 at 13:49.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 13:47   #17553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I fear for the rider - seems to have suffered a near fatal blow.

Whose fault is it?
- Auto? Taking a u-turn in the middle of the road?
- Rider? No helmets & maybe overspeeding?
- Civic body? For keeping deep and big drain such as this uncovered?
Terrible blow. But isn't it the rider himself who pops out from the drain after moments crashing into it? I think he survived.

Both the auto driver & the motorcycle rider are at fault. Auto for taking the careless U turn. The motorcyclist is probably speeding a bit too much and not wearing a helmet. That itself is a big fault on the part of the biker. In fact, it's a miracle if he is alive.
Old 1st May 2015, 14:07   #17554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
As for the auto driver, where else can he possibly take a U-Turn?
Not so much an issue with the location. Maybe took the u-turn without looking if there was an oncoming vehicle.

Should have used 'without looking' instead of 'middle of the road' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Terrible blow. But isn't it the rider himself who pops out from the drain after moments crashing into it? I think he survived.
That is the pillion.

As per the complete report - rider suffered cracked ribs, head/limb injuries and is currently in ICU. The pillion suffered injuries on his arm and head.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 14:56   #17555
Senior - BHPian

An accident captured on the dash cam of my friend Raghunath Srivatsa's car.

Sharing his words and video.

" Today morning, there was unusually high traffic in mysore road, i was going to decathlon, i had park my car opposite to decathlon as entering Decathlon parking lot was next to impossible, while waiting for the turbo to cooldown, my dash cam recorded this. "

schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 15:17   #17556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post

Sharing his words and video.

" Today morning, there was unusually high traffic in mysore road, i was going to decathlon, i had park my car opposite to decathlon as entering Decathlon parking lot was next to impossible, while waiting for the turbo to cooldown, my dash cam recorded this. "
I have had similar accident though it was a bicycle coming from wrong side.

In India you have to check both sides even if you are crossing ONE way road!
Old 1st May 2015, 15:43   #17557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

This set of pictures should be made into a poster as a reminder against drink-driving, so that any reader, sensitive or insensitive, does not forget the outcome of driving under the influence of alcohol.
I fully agree. However gory the pics may be, we need to have them on as these pics works as deterrent to careless drivers.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 14:17   #17558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post

"
Driving on the wrong side at full speed in an overloaded auto. This is such a common site in India even in dark.

I wonder when will they run out of luck and instead of running into a pedestrian run it a vehicle much larger.

I have narrowly missed a few of them while cruising on Mumbai - Ahmedabad highway. A distracted or a tired driver can easily end up having a head-on collision.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 16:07   #17559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post

I wonder when will they run out of luck and instead of running into a pedestrian run it a vehicle much larger.

I have narrowly missed a few of them while cruising on Mumbai - Ahmedabad highway. A distracted or a tired driver can easily end up having a head-on collision.
And I've had to panic brake to avoid a truck, that had to panic brake to avoid another truck, who in turn had to panic brake to avoid an idiotic tractor driver who was happily driving on the wrong side at full speed; unsurprisingly, on the same Mysore - Bangalore stretch!

Its a scary thing.. having big tonners slide around you! I thought I was done for; trucks at the back and trucks at the front, all sliding due to loss of traction on a slightly wet road and me stationary in between them.
Old 3rd May 2015, 14:20   #17560
BHPian

Accidents in India - PICS

This link was shared on Facebook and showed images of an accident in Kerala. The story is originally published on Drivespark in Tamil. http://tamil.drivespark.com/off-beat...la-008189.html
Moderators please move the post as you deem fit.
Old 3rd May 2015, 15:07   #17561
MHG
BHPian

Re: À Tata tipper truck crashes into a Jaguar

Interesting. The Jaguar doesn't seem to have sustained life-threatening damage. The truck seems like someone took a huge saw through its body. Imagine what would have happened if it was a Maruti Suzuki Swift instead of the Jaguar involved in the crash.

PS: Tata vs Tata anybody ?
Old 3rd May 2015, 15:17   #17562
BHPian

Simply going by the images without the detailed story (I can't read Tamil) it appears the jaguar took it pretty well. The truck on the other hand was damaged considerably. Shows the sturdy nature of a jaguar.
The impact was probably a very high speed one. Apparently breaking the front wheel of the truck itself.
Old 3rd May 2015, 15:25   #17563
Senior - BHPian

Before jumping into conclusions with regard to the build of Jaguar based on visuals accident let me tell you that there is more to this story than what is being circulated widely.

There was a guy who was in another car behind the Jaguar; and he says "The Jaguar was about to overtake a car when it came face to face with the tipper. The tipper driver swerved his truck to the left to save the Jaguar and while doing so crashed into the concrete compound wall. The truck's axle was ripped off as a result of crashing into the wall and not because of hitting the Jaguar".

Nothing good would have happened to the Jaguar either if the tipper didn't swerve to the left.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 15:25   #17564
BHPian

In case of the Swift, on a jovial note think about it, you'd get no images to see here. The truck would've driven away, while the Swift would be ironed out to become part of the road!
Old 3rd May 2015, 16:12   #17565
Distinguished - BHPian

Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Before jumping into conclusions with regard to the build of Jaguar based on visuals accident let me tell you that there is more to this story than what is being circulated widely.

There was a guy who was in another car behind the Jaguar; and he says "The Jaguar was about to overtake a car when it came face to face with the tipper. The tipper driver swerved his truck to the left to save the Jaguar and while doing so crashed into the concrete compound wall. The truck's axle was ripped off as a result of crashing into the wall and not because of hitting the Jaguar".

Nothing good would have happened to the Jaguar either if the tipper didn't swerve to the left.

True. No car, however well built can cause such a massive damage to the tipper while it itself sustaining such less damage. Had the tipper went headlong into the jag,the result would have been very gruesome with mangled metal of the jag

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks