Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2015, 09:36   #17596
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
The report says the driver lost control while overtaking another vehicle at high speed. The central locking is also being blamed - rescuers could not open the doors.

By the way, the car is not new. This is a previous generation i20 and looks like the number plates got dislodged. The girl has been identified.
This is like many other cases we have come across and I would like to reiterate the following safety message

SPEED THRILLS BUT KILLS
Old 13th May 2015, 11:30   #17597
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Mahindra Navistar 6x4 tractor trailer jack-knifed between Mulbagal and Palamner .

It had travelled quite a bit from the road and ended up at the entrance of a college. Looks like overspeeding and not noticing the two lanes ending and single lane begining .
Couldn't get better pictures since it was dusk.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150512_1839382.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150512_183952.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150512_184040.jpg  

Old 13th May 2015, 12:35   #17598
Senior - BHPian

Didn't see a mention of this terrible accident at Kuthiran on NH 47 yesterday. Briefly, a truck on a downslope saw an overtaking maneuvre happening in the opposite direction and had to brake suddenly. A car following him too managed to brake in time, but another truck behind the car hit it, and so the car (an M-800) got sandwiched between the two trucks.

Of the 7 occupants of the car, 4 died; 3 are battling for their lives in Jubilee Mission Hospital in Thrissur. Two of the dead are children (6 and 1 year olds).

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle7199940.ece

Any death of a child is a lump in the throat; and when it can be so attributed to callousness of authorities (that NH 47 stretch is being renovated and widened for what, now 15 years?) the grief gives way to anger.
Old 13th May 2015, 12:56   #17599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Didn't see a mention of this terrible accident at Kuthiran on NH 47 yesterday. Briefly, a truck on a downslope saw an overtaking maneuvre happening in the opposite direction and had to brake suddenly. A car following him too managed to brake in time, but another truck behind the car hit it, and so the car (an M-800) got sandwiched between the two trucks.

Of the 7 occupants of the car, 4 died; 3 are battling for their lives in Jubilee Mission Hospital in Thrissur. Two of the dead are children (6 and 1 year olds).

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle7199940.ece

Any death of a child is a lump in the throat; and when it can be so attributed to callousness of authorities (that NH 47 stretch is being renovated and widened for what, now 15 years?) the grief gives way to anger.
Terrible piece of news. Was the car tailgating the truck ahead of it that the truck following the car could not brake in time??

In general it would be better to maintain sufficient gap if any heavy vehicle is in front of you.
Old 13th May 2015, 13:16   #17600
BHPian

I understand that the 800 guy had maintained a marginal gap to stop just in time - the heavy vehicle following behind did not, the result of which was borne by this poor family. May their souls rest in peace.

It was a night mare for me on the palakkad - thrissur road last year when I had been for a roadtrip to Alleppey.
Old 13th May 2015, 14:46   #17601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Was the car tailgating the truck ahead of it that the truck following the car could not brake in time??
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
I understand that the 800 guy had maintained a marginal gap to stop just in time - the heavy vehicle following behind did not
You raise an interesting question, because the original post contradicts what's in the newspaper article. If the car had stopped successfully, then the car driver is not at fault, but the second truck is to blame. If the car hadn't stopped, then both the car and second truck are to blame. In both cases, the first truck is blameless, and is to be commended for pro-actively assisting/safeguarding the other overtake.

Quote:
A car following him too managed to brake in time, but another truck behind the car hit it
Quote:
The car in which the family was travelling rammed a lorry from behind when the lorry driver applied the brake suddenly. At the same time, a lorry coming from behind the car crashed into it. The car got sandwiched in between the lorries.

Last edited by arunphilip : 13th May 2015 at 14:56.
Old 13th May 2015, 15:57   #17602
BHPian

Quote:
Briefly, a truck on a downslope saw an overtaking maneuvre happening in the opposite direction and had to brake suddenly. A car following him too managed to brake in time, but another truck behind the car hit it, and so the car (an M-800) got sandwiched between the two trucks.
All the news reports (from local news papers) including the one you posted says that the car rammed into the back of the first truck, which braked and the truck which was coming behind, ran into the car. Reports also say that the driver (21 years old(?)) of the truck, which rammed the car from behind is taken into custody. So, I don't think the car was also keeping any distance to the truck in front of it, which is a very common phenomena in Kerala.
Sad loss of life nonetheless.

Last edited by A350XWB : 13th May 2015 at 15:58.
Old 13th May 2015, 16:47   #17603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
All the news reports (from local news papers) including the one you posted says that the car rammed into the back of the first truck, which braked and the truck which was coming behind, ran into the car.
Seems like nobody saw what happened; so both versions are available. This is one in which I read that the car stopped, but the second truck pushed it forward:

http://www.madhyamam.com/news/353590/150512

(I posted a different link since this one isn't in English)
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 19:35   #17604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gt View Post
From an accident near Soolagiri

Source : Whatsapp

Its said the fabia tried to avoid a two wheeler and lost control. The etios belonged to a colleague's cab driver's friend.
I see a damaged Maruti Omni also in the pics. Seems like it was also involved in the mess.
Old 14th May 2015, 10:12   #17605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems like nobody saw what happened; so both versions are available. This is one in which I read that the car stopped, but the second truck pushed it forward:

http://www.madhyamam.com/news/353590/150512

(I posted a different link since this one isn't in English)
This is moot - a tincan 800 will definitely get pushed forward when rammed from behind by a truck whether the 800 was moving, slowing down or completely stopped at the time of impact.

So this follows the norm in any such multi vehicle pileup - the driver of the last vehicle is at fault. So the truck driver who rammed the 800 from behind is at fault here.
Old 14th May 2015, 11:25   #17606
BHPian

Quote:
Right. Mathrubhumi report says the car crashed into the first truck and then the second truck sandwiched the 800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
So this follows the norm in any such multi vehicle pileup - the driver of the last vehicle is at fault. So the truck driver who rammed the 800 from behind is at fault here.
No exactly. If the car rammed into the first truck, it makes the car driver also faulty for not maintaining safe distance, whatever be the consequence. The second truck driver was obviously not maintaining a safe stopping distance.

Today's newspaper was carrying couple of photos from the hospital where they showed the lifeless body of the kids to their parents who are bed ridden with grievous injuries. Really sad.
Old 14th May 2015, 11:37   #17607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Woah john.gt, any info on how that Fabia ended up in that state ??

Looks like the Fabia driver walked out of this and hopefully there were no serious injuries to the Etios occupants or the others around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I see a damaged Maruti Omni also in the pics. Seems like it was also involved in the mess.

The Fabia was coming from Salem to Hosur. The driver tried to steer away to avoid a 2 wheeler, lost control, went over the median and collided with an Omni and an Etios coming in opposite direction. For this carnage to happen, the Fabia had to be speeding.

Fortunately no fatalities, but there were serious injuries. The Omni driver lost his legs, the passengers in the Etios walked away with minimal damage, but the Etios was declared a total loss. And yes, the driver of Fabia did walkaway from this pileup
Old 14th May 2015, 11:57   #17608
BHPian

Saw this accident today morning on the Chennai ORR while driving down to office. It happened just 30 minutes before I crossed this place. As there was no other crashed vehicle(s) in sight, i think he has crashed into the culvert wall at a pretty high speed.

I learnt that the driver escaped without injuries!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.png  

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 14th May 2015 at 12:01.
Old 14th May 2015, 12:01   #17609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Saw this accident today morning on the Chennai ORR while driving down to office. It happened just 30 minutes before I crossed this place. As there was no other crashed vehicle in sight, i think he has crashed into the culvert wall at a pretty high speed.

I learnt that the driver escaped without injuries!
Those empty tippers do drive like maniacs in that road.
Old 14th May 2015, 12:07   #17610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Those empty tippers do drive like maniacs in that road.
Thats true. Yesterday when I was driving down this road - near poonamallee, a tipper came from the wrong side of the service road and turned into this ORR without even waiting for the oncoming vehicles to pass at a high speed. They take advantage of their heavily built vehicles and cause so much of havoc on the road.

Most Viewed