Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:37   #17761
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Pics and story from a group on FB:

XUV5OO and Ecosport accident around Baroda on NH8

Apparently a brand new Ecosport rear-ended the XUV at an angle. High speed accident. Both vehicles lost control. In the XUV, except the hired-driver, nobody survived. No seatbelts were used.

No idea about causalities in the EcoSport.
When will people ever learn to wear seatbelts ? RIP.

For a rear end collision, the XUV seems to have had suffered much frontal damage as well.

On a side note, is it only me that feels in pic 7 the rear tire of the EcoSport seems to have minimal tread or the angle at which the pic was taken causes it ? I understand its a new car.
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:44   #17762
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
So the XUV has no rear protection at all? The ford has chewed right down into its mid ribs. Sure the ford was doing high speeds but the presence of a safety beam or a rigid chassis member would have deflected it somewhat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
For a rear end collision, the XUV seems to have had suffered much frontal damage as well.
My guess is that both the vehicles took at least a couple of somersaults post the collision. That should explain the damage in areas not directly involved in the first impact.

Again, pure speculation based on observing the pics.
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:54   #17763
BHPian

This is an awesome thread and an eye opener too.
There are times when knowingly or unknowingly we happen to push the gas without thinking the consequences if even a small thing goes wrong. We always think 'This will not happen to me'.

After going through this thread, I have set the speed buzzer to 80 kmph while on highways and no matter how much welcoming the road is, I never cross that speed. Last month I went to sirsi and back with a speed limit of 80, and believe me the drive was so much stress free despite of the fact it took me an hour extra compared to previous journeys. One of my relative kind of raced to the same destination and he was proudly flaunting the fact that he reached sirsi in 5.5 hours flat. I could do nothing but pray for his future.

Now for me its a custom to go through this thread before I prepare for long drives.
I am looking how to change my Tbhp ID.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 3rd June 2015 at 12:55.
Speed Pujari is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:06   #17764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
There are times when knowingly or unknowingly we happen to push the gas without thinking the consequences if even a small thing goes wrong. We always think 'This will not happen to me'.

After going through this thread, I have set the speed buzzer to 80 kmph while on highways and no matter how much welcoming the road is, I never cross that speed. Last month I went to sirsi and back with a speed limit of 80, and believe me the drive was so much stress free despite of the fact it took me an hour extra compared to previous journeys. One of my relative kind of raced to the same destination and he was proudly flaunting the fact that he reached sirsi in 5.5 hours flat. I could do nothing but pray for his future.

Now for me its a custom to go through this thread before I prepare for long drives.
You have hit the nail Mate. Even i belong to the same category wherein no matter however empty the highway may be, I never cross 85 kmph. I tend to maintain a constant speed. Benefits include
1. Better control of vehicle
2. Better judgement of other vehicles
3. Better Fuel efficiency
4. Less fatigue.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:13   #17765
BHPian

Quote:

I follow the same rule of setting the speed buzzer for long drives.
In addition to that, on roads without dividers (I like them because slow vehicles don't hog the "right" lane) I pay attention to whether the middle line is striped, double or yellow when attempting an overtake.
nareshov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:44   #17766
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this Waggy couple weeks ago on the NH47 between Karunagapally & Chavara. No details on how it went off the road. If not for the tree, it might have gone further down.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20150516_142554.jpg
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:16   #17767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is one of the great lessons I was given by one of the driving gurus in my life: she told me that most long-journey accidents happen near home, because then people relax and let their attention drop. She told me that the journey is not over until you get out of the car outside your house.

We mustn't forget the dangers of short journeys either. 99.9% of my driving is less than 10km and within the city. There are still many, many potential hazards and mistakes.
Quote:

I understand that it is impossible. You could put something in your signature.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:24   #17768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
You have hit the nail Mate. Even i belong to the same category wherein no matter however empty the highway may be, I never cross 85 kmph. I tend to maintain a constant speed. Benefits include
1. Better control of vehicle
2. Better judgement of other vehicles
3. Better Fuel efficiency
4. Less fatigue.
Absolutely, spot ON. Even I would like to add more benefits to the same:

5. Avoiding over-run of Engines (esp. 5-gear vehicles). Engine rpm is mostly restricted in the range of 2000-2500 rpm. And, in case of 6 gears (at least CITY Diesel), it is around 1700-1800 rpm.

6. This ensure less wear and tear and thus, lead to longevity of the mechanical and E/G components.
utsav1303 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 09:29   #17769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
So the XUV has no rear protection at all? The ford has chewed right down into its mid ribs. Sure the ford was doing high speeds but the presence of a safety beam or a rigid chassis member would have deflected it somewhat.
Seems the manufacturer has tried to save weight by compromising on essential safety features.
One cannot assume about the structural rigidity of a car just by looking at an accident picture, without exactly knowing what happened. There can be multiple reasons for a car to get crushed like that. Until and unless the exact accident can be replicated with another car, we cannot infer that one is better manufactured than the other. As I have always told, no two accidents are the same. That's the reason why they do crash tests in controlled environment to simulate near identical scenarios so that a fair comparison can be made.

Last edited by A350XWB : 4th June 2015 at 09:32.
A350XWB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 04:58   #17770
BHPian

Three car accident on airport expressway. All three are taxis and does not seem like anyone is hurt. But 2 lanes are blocked. One of the taxis is facing the wrong way, don't know if it jumped the median or just spun after impact. This is at 5 am today.
Old 5th June 2015, 09:49   #17771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Three car accident on airport expressway. All three are taxis and does not seem like anyone is hurt. But 2 lanes are blocked. One of the taxis is facing the wrong way, don't know if it jumped the median or just spun after impact. This is at 5 am today.
Most probably its a wrong side entry considering the time and the parties involved
Old 5th June 2015, 11:23   #17772
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I had driven down to chennai. At the Ambika Appalam Depot signal (a T junction) around 9 pm, I was waiting to go right, with indicator on

An Activa with two teenagers came revving up behind me trying to beat the signal. Their headlight was off and they managed not to see a white car right in front of them. Slammed into the side of my bumper, got their front wheel under it.

Cop right there at the signal, came up and told the kids to drive more carefully, got them water (they were shaken and shocked from the fall), asked one of the kids to take the other one, who had some iron rod (I think the Activa brake) jabbed into his lower abdomen and was in a bit of pain as a result, to a nearby hospital

Kind of lucky here - could have got to be a police case very easily

Last edited by hserus : 5th June 2015 at 11:24. Reason: Typo
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 11:25   #17773
BHPian

Yesterday night on the hosur road whilst coming from bangalore witnessed a truck rear ended by another. and a dead pig was at the wheels of the truck. Sorry no pics as was driving single.
Any one knows more about this since my guess is either the pig ran amok as it cannot stop a truck

Last edited by Dieseldunk : 5th June 2015 at 11:26.
Old 6th June 2015, 10:03   #17774
BHPian

This accident took place a few weeks back and was mentioned in TOI as well.
Location: Bangalore, opposite Divyashree Tech Park (near vydehi hospital).
Time: 2.30 AM (Night shift cab).
Clicked this picture the next morning when commuting to office. Got further info from other cab drivers that the TT and Sumo (Both cabs belonged to different IT giants) had a head on collision. One person was killed and many injured.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150512wa0002.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150512wa0003.jpg
Old 6th June 2015, 14:07   #17775
BHPian

Was driving down to Bangalore today from Chennai around 5 45 am and there was a minor traffic jam about 30 -35 kms before Ranipet.
Saw this Seabird bus as in photos and just ahead saw a sand lorry lying turtle facing the wrong direction just near an intersection of the highway road.
perhaps the sand lorry came in wrong direction to take a turn at the intersection and got rammed by the bus.
Anyone has any news on the same?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1433579551726.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1433579567217.jpg  

Most Viewed