Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2015, 22:56   #17806
BHPian

A few days ago, was approaching DND flyway from noida and was on the clover leaf approach road. I saw this truck coming from the wrong side at a good speed on such a narrow road and literally had to swerve my car towards one side to avoid a head on collision.

This BMW coming behind me was not so lucky. The driver and helper fled before I could park my car at one side and come to his rescue. Although no injuries, He was visibly shaken. All four doors were stuck between the truck and side railings and I had to tell him to come out from the sun roof. I wonder what he would have done if he didn't have a roof.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1433870724293.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1433870779356.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th June 2015 at 14:42. Reason: Inserting images inline as it makes a difference on some browsers. Thanks for sharing!
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 23:07   #17807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I wonder what he would have done if he didn't have a roof.
Then he would have just climbed out.

But seriously though, on DND? That is very unexpected! In so many years, I've never ever seen truckers try any such thing here. I almost expected this on Gurgaon eway, not here.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 09:44   #17808
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
I saw this truck coming from the wrong side at a good speed on such a narrow road and literally had to swerve my car towards one side to avoid a head on collision.
looks like a bus to me

but on a serious note never ever seen something like this happen on DND. Not sure why the bus driver would not make the correct U turn and instead chose to drive on the wrong side of the side.

Glad that the BMW driver is safe.
Old 10th June 2015, 09:59   #17809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

Can't be 100% sure - the friend who saw the cat lying on the spot said it was dead, but will be really happy if the cat was not dead and is only wounded.
'Twas wounded, but severely so. It succumbed to injuries later. :(

http://m.thehindu.com/news/national/...le7300063.ece/
Old 10th June 2015, 10:50   #17810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
looks like a bus to me

but on a serious note never ever seen something like this happen on DND. Not sure why the bus driver would not make the correct U turn and instead chose to drive on the wrong side of the side.

Glad that the BMW driver is safe.
Yes, my bad. It indeed was a bus. But yes, thankfully he got out unhurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Then he would have just climbed out.

But seriously though, on DND? That is very unexpected! In so many years, I've never ever seen truckers try any such thing here. I almost expected this on Gurgaon eway, not here.
I meant 'sunroof' there. yes, that was my first with a bus too. Once in a while, I have witnessed cars trying to reverse on these same clover-leaf approach roads, those who realise they should have taken the other road simply try and reverse all the way, putting themselves and other drivers at risk.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th June 2015 at 12:25. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
Old 10th June 2015, 12:33   #17811
BHPian

Another sad news, this time from Ladakh.

A routine visit to Nubra valley turned tragic when tourists' car was hit by avalanche. The car landed in a gorge killing two of its occupants. Although not known to me personally, Soumyadip belongs of one of my junior batches in engineering college. A promising young life snuffed out during what was supposed to be a pleasure trip.

May their souls R.I.P.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/47606941.cms

Quote:
KOLKATA: A professor of Rabindra Bharati University and her son, an IIT-Kharagpur student, died in an avalanche in the picturesque Nubra Valley on their way from the valley to Leh on Monday night.
Another article:

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0901377_1.html

Quote:
A teacher of Rabindra Bharati University and her son - a student of IIT Kharagpur - died when their vehicle fell into a gorge following an avalanche while on a sightseeing trip in Ladakh in Jammu and Kashmir.
The decision to return from Nubra valley in night (at 11 PM) seems too risky in the hindsight.
Old 10th June 2015, 12:56   #17812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few days ago, was approaching DND flyway from noida and was on the clover leaf approach road. I saw this truck coming from the wrong side at a good speed on such a narrow road and literally had to swerve my car towards one side to avoid a head on collision. This BMW coming behind me was not so lucky. The driver and helper fled before I could park my car at one side and come to his rescue. Although no injuries, He was visibly shaken. All four doors were stuck between the truck and side railings and I had to tell him to come out from the sun roof. I wonder what he would have done if he didn't have a roof.
Really unfortunate for that BMW. I guess he saw it late and didn't have anywhere else to go than take a hit.

Last edited by Eddy : 10th June 2015 at 15:44. Reason: typo
Old 10th June 2015, 13:14   #17813
Senior - BHPian

There is an accident reported in today TOI where a woman lawyer smashed her Audi into a taxi killing two people on the spot.

Unfortunately one of the deceased was the earning member of the family. The Lady it seems heavily drunk drove on the wrong side on the Mumbai Eastern freeway and smashed into an oncoming taxi headon. The front two passengers of the taxi including the driver were killed whereas the lady escaped unhurt thanks to the air bags in the Audi. The lady has been charged under several sections of the IPC and the Motor Act, will face 10 yrs rigorous imprisonment if convicted.

Details of the links below:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/47607933.cms

http://www.abplive.in/india/2015/06/...-taxi-2-killed
Old 10th June 2015, 14:40   #17814
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wonder what he would have done if he didn't have a roof.
Wow that was a lucky escape for you!

In cases like this, remember that you can always pop the boot from inside the car, then flip down the folding rear seats and crawl out from the boot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
There is an accident reported in today TOI where a woman lawyer smashed her Audi into a taxi killing two people on the spot.
Quoting from the MumbaiMirror article:
10 pm
Janhavi Gadkar reaches Marine Plaza hotel in South Mumbai

12.40 am
She leaves the hotel in her Audi Q3, after having consumed six pegs of whiskey

12.55 am
She climbs up the Eastern Freeway, on the wrong side

12.58 am
She narrowly misses two cars, both Maruti Swift, near Dockyard Road

12.58 am
The driver of one of the cars, who is now a primary prosecution witness, exits the freeway at Dockyard Road and turns his vehicle around to follow Janhavi. The Audi proves too quick for him. He drives in pursuit, regardless

1.10 am
Gadkar ploughs into a taxi, driven by Sayed Hussain, carrying the Sabuwala family, near Panjarapole tunnel

1.20 am
The driver of the Maruti Swift reaches the scene of the accident

1.30 am
Bystanders poke holes in the inflated airbags of the Audi and extract Gadkar from the vehicle

1.45 am
Gadkar is driven to RCF police station, in Chembur

2.15 am
Gadkar falls asleep in the women's cell

6.45 am
Gadkar wakes up, realises she's in a police station and breaks down. She complains of a hangover. According to the police, her last recollection is of entering the freeway from P D'Mello Road, on the wrong side of the ramp

9.30 am
The police record her statement
Rehaan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 14:46   #17815
Senior - BHPian

Oh well. We all know where the case will end up.

Just sad, sad that people are maimed and killed just because someone wants to drunk drive. Senseless human beings!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 14:46   #17816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
1.30 am
Bystanders poke holes in the inflated airbags of the Audi and extract Gadkar from the vehicle
I'm not sure; are there airbags that don't have perforations to deflate the bag soon after deployment?
I thought they all deflate on their own, after sometime.
anupmathur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 14:53   #17817
Team-BHP Support

I thought she was only arrested at sunrise being a women, she cannot be arrested at night
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 15:00   #17818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I thought she was only arrested at sunrise being a women, she cannot be arrested at night
The first newspaper articles I read say she worked as VP (legal) at a rather large corporation.

Subsequent stories omit that and have a clarification from the corporation saying she was simply in an advisory capacity with them.
Old 10th June 2015, 15:00   #17819
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I'm not sure; are there airbags that don't have perforations to deflate the bag soon after deployment?
I thought they all deflate on their own, after sometime.
Yes, that's correct. This is probably just a chinese-whispers situation from the journalist, based on what eye-witnesses said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Unless there is a woman officer present?
Or is what you've said only applicable in terms of bringing a woman in for questioning (not arrest)?

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th June 2015 at 15:02.
Old 10th June 2015, 15:06   #17820
BHPian

May be she will start an NGO and sell T-shirts, "being woman"?
OR

Find a driver who will say he was driving.

I think, I strongly think, Salman's conviction and arrest should have gone through. It would have become (hopefully) a deterrent for DUI cases.
We have 2 families now whose only earning members have died due to no fault of their own.

BTW any updates on the M3 case?

Last edited by avingodb : 10th June 2015 at 15:08. Reason: Disclaimer: My first line is non-sexist, only point similarity to that other brand out there.
avingodb is offline   (26) Thanks

Most Viewed