Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2015, 10:13   #17941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Infact whenever the airport taxis like Meru cabs overspeed, a warning message is heard indicating that the driver is overspeeding. I heard this message when i was travelling back home from the airport in a Meru cab.

On listening to the message the driver dropped speed. Fortunately it was also raining.

Why cant they electronically limit the speed to 80kmph by programming vehicle's ECU? Im sure its possible.
kiran_cr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 10:18   #17942
MSC
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Place - Near Mandi ( Himachal Pradesh)
Vehicles involved - 1. Tata Indigo ecs. 2. Chevrolet Cruze. 3. Honda City.
Date - 15.06.2015
Description - I was myself on way to emergency duty at my hospital, so dont have much detail regarding the incident. Roughly what people told is that the over speeding Tata Indigo driver lost control of the vehicle and flipped over upside down. The flipping Indigo went straight into an oncoming Chevrolet Cruze. The Chevrolet Cruze was being tailgated by another Honda City. Due to the impact of incident, the Chevrolet Cruze came to an abrupt halt and ended up being rear ended by closely followed Honda City.
Lucky thing? No fatalities. The Tata Indigo passengers got injuries of various extent but all injuries were non life threatening.

P.S. All pictures received. via whatsapp and Facebook.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11402773_1158337300848425_7099830859246077954_o.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11402526_1158337634181725_4738109711802954464_o.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10604051_1158337660848389_4177922761508852158_o.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11402647_1158337687515053_66520075084114697_o.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11402387_1158337604181728_5280748464444467510_o.jpg  

Last edited by MSC : 16th June 2015 at 10:36.
MSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 10:34   #17943
BHPian

^ This type of incidents which always keep me feared when I am on the road. We can keep all the due care and caution while driving but what if someone else rams into us? This type of incidents make it much important to have safer cars so that fatalities can be minimized. Now imagine the fate would it had been a M800 or Omni van type of vehicle?

These day also have noticed one bad thing whenever I go on mountain drives in Himachal or Kashmir region that some people drive too rash and now old days hill driving protocols are rarely found.

Feeling pity for that Cruze owner who had no fault but will have to pay the price for someone else's ignorance.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 16th June 2015 at 10:41.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 15:16   #17944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
But to call her a murderer is too much - she is almost certainly guilt of culpable homicide but even the charge laid against her does not amount to murder.
I am really sorry to be blunt here, what if you knew the person who was killed? Would you have said the same thing?
Driving after drinking so heavily is just saying the world - I don't care a damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Peer pressure is a very strong catalyst in changing people.
Yes it is. But as we grow older (and more sensible) we 'know' for a fact that it might be okay to drink but not to drink and drive. If you seriously feel that that you need to fit in a peer group that encourages drinking and driving, then you should change your peers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
People find it shameful to admit that they're high. Ego problem, you see..
It depends on the kind of person you are, really. I've never had a problem with admitting, so have quite a few of my close friends. But then there are people who find it shameful.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 16th June 2015 at 15:17.
Old 16th June 2015, 15:23   #17945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I am really sorry to be blunt here, what if you knew the person who was killed? Would you have said the same thing?
Driving after drinking so heavily is just saying the world - I don't care

I would. As I said, she has committed a grave crime and must be punished for it. But she did not set out to kill someone (which is necessary to commit murder), she did something which she should have known could kill someone (culpable homicide). I am very strongly against driving after even 1 drink - and think punishment for such crimes should be more stringent. But labelling something which is not murder as murder diminishes the crime of murder
Hayek is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 15:38   #17946
Senior - BHPian

@pratyush6, you're debating the difference between murder and culpable homicide with someone who is quite evidently a lawyer to whom those terms have specific meanings.

A humorous followup to the drink driving woman lawyer - this other woman locked herself in a car for hours rather than be subject to a breath test at a nakabandi. http://www.ndtv.com/mumbai-news/woma...-lateststories

Last edited by hserus : 16th June 2015 at 15:52.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 18:02   #17947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

A humorous followup to the drink driving woman lawyer - this other woman locked herself in a car for hours rather than be subject to a breath test at a nakabandi. http://www.ndtv.com/mumbai-news/woma...-lateststories
Police asked bystanders if anybody could lend them a brick

Old 16th June 2015, 20:18   #17948
Team-BHP Support

Would it be too far off the mark to blame our legal-judicial system for this drunk-driving mess? They refuse to make laws more stringent, don't implement the ones that already exist and then dither on handing out punishment for YEARS for the few cases that do make it to a court of law.
Old 16th June 2015, 20:31   #17949
BHPian

With the Audi incident still afresh, this lady had real guts to drink and drive. Good to see the women officers were involved unlike the Delhi incident, else it could have gone the same way !! The punishment for DUI should be made more stringent, and also should increase with the levels of alcohol/material in the system

Going back to the Audi incident, today I see some more probable victims for the Audi driver. Given that she is a habitual drinker who takes other lives to be insignificant, she should be considered as a 'murderer', leaving aside the technical/legal definition of murder.

The press might follow this case till the sensation exists, and then these might get hushed up once the uproar dies out. What ever happened to the Humvee driver from Kerala who killed the security guard, and what about all the high profile cases escaping with lesser sentences or sometimes none.

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 16th June 2015 at 20:34.
Old 16th June 2015, 21:07   #17950
Senior - BHPian

About the cabbie incident on the road to the Bangalore Airport , I have always maintained that passengers are to be equally blamed. What's the point of blaming the driver after an accident. Most people just don't bother to remind the driver to stick to speed limits or observe traffic rules. They just let someone else take a chance with their lives and others as well.
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 21:52   #17951
BHPian

http://www.maalaimalar.com/2015/06/1...ccident-3.html
this link is from a tamil newspaper regarding an accident in pondicherry on monday evening (15/06/15 ) .

6 junior doctors were traveling in a car when a dog ran on to the road. The driver swerved to avoid the dog, lost control and crashed into the median wall.

one died on the spot while 2 others passed away in the JIPMER hospital. 3 including the driver are under treatment.
2 of them were girls, both didn't survive.
What a waste of aspirations of their families...
Old 16th June 2015, 23:57   #17952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
she did something which she should have known could kill someone (culpable homicide).

labelling something which is not murder as murder diminishes the crime of murder
Pardon my innocence but I'm finding it hard to understand here that how could it be possible, logically, to not know that if one drinks profusely for hours and later drives at speeds north of 100kmph, one won't be almost certainly killing possibly many others if not at least one? I mean keeping the law, ego, overconfidence, superman capabilities, etc aside, plain logic would make anyone know that it's a perfect recipe for murder. And the drinker is totally responsible. If the law states otherwise, I'm very sorry, for everyone who even puts out a foot henceforth on the road. For the killer is not aware that he is a killer. But you may die just as good. In vain. I'm amazed at the logic of it all.
Old 17th June 2015, 00:55   #17953
BHPian

Found this picture while going through old photos on my phone.
It was a company bus apparently.
Occurred on:3/April/2015.
Time: Around 8.45 PM.
Location: ORR, before ecospace (while travelling from Marathalli to HSR). Around 100 metres before climbing the flyover.
No fatalities were reported by the bystanders.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1434481958596.jpg
Old 17th June 2015, 13:21   #17954
BHPian

Came across this better way of handling road accidents by Samsung.

Not related to India.

Quote:
Samsung Has Installed Screens Behind His Truck Trailers To Allow Motorists To Overtake Safely!

In Argentina, the company Samsung , concerned about the road safety , has set up a system of screens behind trailer trucks to allow drivers to pass safely. The device called ” The Safety Truck “is composed of a camera on the front of the truck and four screens placed on the back door of the trailer. This system allows drivers behind the heavy-weight does not have the hidden view and be able to perform a safe passing . Many accidents occur as a result of dangerous overtaking on the roads of the country, Samsung has wanted to equip its trucks with such a device to reduce the number of deaths, a beautiful initiative!(via:LeoBurnett)
Ref: http://www.innamag.com/samsung-has-i...ertake-safely/

This may not work in India for few well known reasons or it may take few decades for this technology to get implemented here.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 13:42   #17955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Came across this better way of handling road accidents by Samsung.

This may not work in India for few well known reasons or it may take few decades for this technology to get implemented here.
There's nothing hard about the technology. Its very simple camera and display setup. The cost factor would make it a ridiculous idea to even consider. And also what would happen in case of a simple mild bash to the displays? Lakhs down the drain. And with typical Indian mentality and reasoning, why would anyone pay for someone else's safety that too in lakhs..... But smart move from samsung considering if even 5% of trucks implement this, it's win win all the way to the bank!
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks