Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:46   #18031
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
The jaywalker is at fault for sure .

But I will put the blame on the the Bolero driver also here ! Like most drivers on our roads who " assume" and flash their headlights or honk continously instead of slowing down , this guy also braked at the last minute. This driver could have slowed down from far if he hadnt been speeding .

With those bullbars at the front and the sharp edges on the Bolero , even if she had survived this hit , it wouldnt be without serious injuries .
It is sheer destiny for the lady. Hope she has recovered. May be in an attempt to get the purse fast and cross the road, she bumped into the Bolero. One can always debate the ifs and buts but ultimately it is the FATE that has the final say in one's life.
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:53   #18032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
The jaywalker is at fault for sure .

.... this guy also braked at the last minute. This driver could have slowed down from far if he hadnt been speeding .
Looking at the guardrail that is a bit turned, one could assume that it was a wide left turn. Possible that the driver didnt see any oncoming traffic and therefore maintained speed.

Blaming the driver would be a bit harsh here. Just because he's in a vehicle doesn't make him the culprit - Its the mentality that the 'badi gaadi' or the 'bigger car' is at fault.

@Speedsatya: I am not implying that you are saying as such in your post, so dont get me wrong.
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:53   #18033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao
The footage does seem to suggest he slammed on the brakes, but didn't manage to avoid the woman or stop in time. Given the undivided nature of the carriageway one can't really expect him to swerve right, he may very well have killed himself trying to save the woman.
Was not suggesting that he brake or swerve. My comment was more in the "anticipatory driving" sense. Having long range visibility, he could have taken measures to avoid this.
Ofcourse, this is not taking away from blame from the woman for jay-walking.

If the road is in KL, then nothing surprising in it not having divider, like most roads there (including NH47).
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:57   #18034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
Looking at the guardrail that is a bit turned, one could assume that it was a wide left turn. Possible that the driver didnt see any oncoming traffic and therefore maintained speed.

Blaming the driver would be a bit harsh here. Just because he's in a vehicle doesn't make him the culprit - Its the mentality that the 'badi gaadi' or the 'bigger car' is at fault.

@Speedsatya: I am not implying that you are saying as such in your post, so dont get me wrong.

What if it was a stranded vehicle over here ? why was he even speeding if he couldnt see whats beyond the curve ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Was not suggesting that he brake or swerve. My comment was more in the "anticipatory driving" sense. Having long range visibility, he could have taken measures to avoid this.

This is exactly my point .
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:14   #18035
BHPian

First if the lady survived then godspeed her recovery else may her soul RIP.

This is surely a case of unanticipated driving and even more negligent road crossing manners by the lady.
Why to cross a road that too a highway kind of from the footage to pick something that was flying (as noticed in the footage am not very sure of a purse flying like that).
Most importantly we are viewing an action caused by pure absence of road sense. Nobody turns back abruptly in the middle of the road . normally one crosses over.
Let me give an example to illustrate and see if our members agree.
Thwre are children playong on a railway track and one young girl playing on an unused railway track besides where the other kids are playing. A speeding traim comes by and the driver has to decide what to do should he take the umused track and save many lives or go on the used track as per route.
If he chose to go pn the unused track then the lone kid is going to be penalized for the ignorant action of the other kids.
Guys we are discussing on the same line so please let know your views or thoughts

Last edited by Dieseldunk : 23rd June 2015 at 18:15.
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:25   #18036
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

If the road is in KL, then nothing surprising in it not having divider, like most roads there (including NH47).
As Wodehouse would say, "faults on both sides or summat".

The road does seem to be a high-speed curve so visibility may have been limited to an extent, but I still agree the driver needed to show better anticipatory judgment, as I alluded to in my original response.
Old 23rd June 2015, 23:41   #18037
Distinguished - BHPian

The video is on a facebook page, and I have to make a special application (to myself!) to view facebook, which is banned (by me) on my system.

However, unless a pedestrian steps out in front of a vehicle within the stopping distance, ie, it is impossible to stop or avoid them, then there really is an absolute responsibility on all drivers not to run them down. If a driver is not looking out ahead, not driving at appropriate speed (able to stop) and not responding in good time, then it is their fault if they drive into something or someone. Limited visibility is not an excuse. Limited visibility: limited speed.

These are just the plain, simple hard facts of the responsibility (legal and otherwise) of driving a vehicle.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 00:04   #18038
Distinguished - BHPian

The lady getting hit by the "Speeding and Rashly driven" Bolero;

Most of them anticipate that a pedestrian would walk ahead than start walking back from a point while crossing the road. Sans that purse/wallet, a driver would simply think of the pedestrian as someone who is trying to cross the road. The driver may have never seen her bending down and picking up that stuff from the road at all.

But she walked in one direction and started walking back even faster in the other direction and that is an absolutely confusing situation to play with a driver's mind that he can take remedial action to avoid a possible incident like this.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th June 2015 at 00:06.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 00:07   #18039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, unless a pedestrian steps out in front of a vehicle within the stopping distance, ie, it is impossible to stop or avoid them, then there really is an absolute responsibility on all drivers not to run them down. If a driver is not looking out ahead, not driving at appropriate speed (able to stop) and not responding in good time, then it is their fault if they drive into something or someone. Limited visibility is not an excuse. Limited visibility: limited speed.
Thad, when you check the video you will realize the road is similar to ECR and in this case even comparing with previous cars on the road the bolera was definitely over speeding. His reaction was literally from 15-25 feet which is when he even noticed that there was a lady. Now it could have been a curve which again puts back the question of speed there.

The lady took the purse and started running which also means she misread the distance from next vehicle to her.

The Bolero had a bullbar the topic of hot discussion we always have. The deadliest sin in indian roads according to me.

To me its a combination of overspeeding, casualness and absolutely disrespect of rules from both the lady and the car driver.

Irrespective of what, pedestrians needs to be saved and you do what ever it takes, from driving slow to taking a hit and avoiding the pedestrian.

In this case as well the bolero did try to not hit her but she ran into the bolero. Had she walked or simply stayed after seeing the bolero the direction the driver took was to avoid her.

Hope she survives which i think is going to be very difficult considering the speed of hit, place of hit and her actual body motion. just slow down the video and we can learn to respect speed for various reasons. It gives me chill.

Quote:
driver's mind that he can take remedial action to avoid a possible incident like this.
If only the bolero drove at sane speed in a non median two lane, two way traffic, he would have had a chance to actually stop or graced her instead of probably killing her.

@Thad, Are you headfi forum with same user name

Last edited by VW2010 : 24th June 2015 at 00:09.
VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 00:20   #18040
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If only the bolero drove at sane speed in a non median two lane, two way traffic, he would have had a chance to actually stop or graced her instead of probably killing her.
Exactly at 8 Seconds, he brakes and even swerves (or may be that is how his vehicle behaved upon panic braking) as he witnesses something amiss since the lady bends down to pick that purse and by now the driver possibly anticipates her to walk ahead but she walks/runs back! Game over.

On the speed of the vehicle, I cannot really call him faster than other as you notice cars that passed before this were equally faster too.

A tricky one this was!

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th June 2015 at 00:25.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 01:09   #18041
BHPian

The bolero lady was on a suicide mission here. Scantly looking at the oncoming traffic and treating a busy road like her backyard. Clearly she valued that purse more than her life and took a risk and miscalculated.

Can't blame the Bolero guy too much in this case except that he could have been driving slower. There was no way he could have guessed that she was going to pick up an object on the road and scram back without even looking in the proper direction. He did try to save her, we can see he swerved to the left while slamming the brakes. If she didn't bolt back like an animal she would have escaped the hit.

Last edited by heavenlybull : 24th June 2015 at 01:17.
Old 24th June 2015, 03:12   #18042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
The bolero lady was on a suicide mission here. Scantly looking at the oncoming traffic and treating a busy road like her backyard. Clearly she valued that purse more than her life and took a risk and miscalculated.

Can't blame the Bolero guy too much in this case except that he could have been driving slower. There was no way he could have guessed that she was going to pick up an object on the road and scram back without even looking in the proper direction. He did try to save her, we can see he swerved to the left while slamming the brakes. If she didn't bolt back like an animal she would have escaped the hit.
No doubt the lady should not have walked on to the road. However, we have to be realistic. Unfortunately there are a lot of people crossing major roads and highways in India. When a driver sees a pedestrian near the road, he should slow down to be on the safe side. If the pedestrian is actually ON the road then the driver MUST slow down and even stop to ensure the safety of the pedestrian. Unfortunately there are many irresponsible drivers who speed even when children are walking on the roads.

Pedestrians should also be stopped from walking on the roads but that is a different topic. End result is that no one cares about safety.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 05:42   #18043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The lady getting hit by the "Speeding and Rashly driven" Bolero;

Most of them anticipate that a pedestrian would walk ahead than start walking back from a point while crossing the road. Sans that purse/wallet, a driver would simply think of the pedestrian as someone who is trying to cross the road. The driver may have never seen her bending down and picking up that stuff from the road at all.

But she walked in one direction and started walking back even faster in the other direction and that is an absolutely confusing situation to play with a driver's mind that he can take remedial action to avoid a possible incident like this.
Agree and I am 100% sure that he could have saved the lady had Bolero had ABS brakes. He tried to swerve to avoid the lady but he is hard on the brakes, the tyres are locked and the car will go in whatever direction it wants to never mind the steering input.
Old 24th June 2015, 08:15   #18044
BHPian

I would say the bolero driver is at fault, he had sufficient time to anticipate what was happening in front of him and i believe his thought was that the lady would stand in the middle of the carriageway and he could drive around .

The above statement doesn't mean that the lady is not at fault but when driving you should expect the unexpected and be cautious.

The picture itself is a clue to tell he had sufficient time in hand to be cautious.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg  

sandeep3in is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 08:37   #18045
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS : Lady hits Bolero

It is absolutely the unmindful and irresponsible behavior of the Pedestrian and the driver that caused this tragedy.

Though the Bolero seems to be on a good speed [ guess it was a bit overspeeding compared to all other vehicles ],considering the typical behaviour of a pedestrian, the driver would have expected her to cross the road but the moment she turned back on the other side looking at the wrong direction, it was GAME OVER

Last edited by poised2drive : 24th June 2015 at 08:54.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed