Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:23   #18121
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Your children are the most precious gift that this life can ever give you, yet why are we so careless?

All this thread does to me is drive defensively on the road, advice my near and dear ones about best safety practices, kiss my daughter everytime she wakes up or sleeps at night and take care of my family.
pratyush6 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:24   #18122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Just my observation from pics posted. This is a toll & divided highway then how come both cars show frontal damage? Which of them was travelling in the wrong side?
Look carefully, left fender seems center point of collapse in the Alto. So clear case of road crossing went wrong. I already mentioned about driving characteristic of this highway in my previous post which I made just before your's.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hema_647_070315082951.jpg

Last edited by tbppjpr : 3rd July 2015 at 11:26.
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:29   #18123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Another likely case where no one was wearing seatbelts. Hema Maljni hit her head somewhere in the car as she was likely not belted. The poor girl who perished wasn't likely to be belted and the other injured people in the Alto are unlikely to have been using the seatbelts. This is especially true of back seat passengers in India. The police and the politicians should create awareness about the use of seatbelts and the danger of having children standing around and playing in cars. In fact the insurance companies should refuse any payout for injuries for non belted passengers and criminal charges should be levied against drivers (and maybe even passengers) if a non belted child is injured or killed in a collision.
All the news papers are only focusing on injury to Hema Malini. In fact that is the headlines. What about the death of the child. The child's death news is taking a back seat. Sorry state of affairs.
suresh_gs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:33   #18124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
For four year old seat belt means, killing it by strangling! There are enough literature on net about this. Correct restraining for infant, small child is Child seat.
Yes, there is enough literature out. I encourage you to review it as well. After a child is around 2 years old, seatbelts work as well. The main point is to have the child restrained in some manner. A car seat is ideal but in the absence of that, at least a seatbelt should be used for older children.

Here is one example:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/10/ma...tion.html?_r=0

Last edited by Lobogris : 3rd July 2015 at 11:39.
Old 3rd July 2015, 12:54   #18125
Team-BHP Support

On the off chance that we're out and about with my 4-yr old niece and don't have a child seat handy, we usually belt her up using the lap-belt portion of a seat belt, leaving the high (for her) cross-chest bit alone. Not the norm or the best way to go about it, but better than nothing.

Playful and (hyper)active as a kid may be, the proud parents/co-occupants need to realize the hazards of using a moving car as a play-area.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd July 2015 at 12:57.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 13:33   #18126
BHPian

One eyewitness says the Alto was driving on the wrong side of the road.

The statement is buried a few paragraphs down in this article after they finish talking about the actress' scar and the required plastic surgery.
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/india/he...e-1015065.html

How many more need to die for this kind of callous driving to reduce? Is convenience so important?
Old 3rd July 2015, 13:47   #18127
Team-BHP Support

THe poor Mercedes driver has been booked for rash driving. This must have been instigated by locals who blocked the highway!!
Old 3rd July 2015, 13:50   #18128
BHPian

Got this from FB, not sure where or how it happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-i10.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2015, 14:25   #18129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
holy guacamole!

wonder if anyone survived that, though highly unlikely.
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:37   #18130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is an old snap, accident had happened somewhere in Gujarat and it was mentioned on this very thread also.
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:38   #18131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Just my observation from pics posted. This is a toll & divided highway then how come both cars show frontal damage? Which of them was travelling in the wrong side?
I think it happened at a crossing. The Alto coming from the opposite direction took a turn and collided with the Mercedes. It could have been that the Alto driver did not judge the speed of the Mercedes correctly and thought that he would be able to take the right turn before the Mercedes comes to the crossing. In the night, it it anyway difficult to judge the speed of oncoming vehicle.

It could also happen that Alto car made a sudden turn without right of way and the driver of Mercedes did not get enough time to avoid the collision. It is quite common in Jaipur where people suddenly come out of their lanes onto the main road without seeing if there is an approaching vehicle or not. Ideally they should stop at the intersection or slow down and see both left and right for approaching vehicle but normally they just turn the turn the steering and join the main road.
If the approaching vehicle driver is not careful, there is very high probability of a collision.
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:06   #18132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
holy guacamole!

wonder if anyone survived that, though highly unlikely.
That one happened few months back (or last year IIRC) on Tarapur Baroda State Highway in Gujarat. Unfortunately, all 5 occupants met death due to this accident.

Read more about this accident here.
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:19   #18133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
One eyewitness says the Alto was driving on the wrong side of the road.
How many more need to die for this kind of callous driving to reduce? Is convenience so important?
Just saw the picture of the cute little girl. The callousness ended in cutting her life short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
THe poor Mercedes driver has been booked for rash driving. This must have been instigated by locals who blocked the highway!!
Instead, the Alto driver should be booked for murder and attempted murder, provided he was really driving on the wrong side of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
In the night, it it anyway difficult to judge the speed of oncoming vehicle.
Ideally they should stop at the intersection or slow down and see both left and right for approaching vehicle but normally they just turn the turn the steering and join the main road.
If the approaching vehicle driver is not careful, there is very high probability of a collision.
Why does anybody take such risks while entering on a major road? Slowing down and being careful might cost a second or two, but such accidents results in a lifetime of repentance and pain.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 3rd July 2015 at 15:20.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:47   #18134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
I think it happened at a crossing. The Alto coming from the opposite direction took a turn and collided with the Mercedes. It could have been that the Alto driver did not judge the speed of the Mercedes correctly and thought that he would be able to take the right turn before the Mercedes comes to the crossing. In the night, it it anyway difficult to judge the speed of oncoming vehicle.

It could also happen that Alto car made a sudden turn without right of way and the driver of Mercedes did not get enough time to avoid the collision.
Looking at the damage on vehicles, this seems to be the only string of events. Merc has damage to its right and Alto to its left. No way they collided head on.

Also it seems Merc did not T-bone the Alto but it was more of a oblique collision angle. Either the Alto turned away (seems unlikely as that is impossible if you are taking a right or u-turn) or the Merc tried taking avoiding action and hence was able turn a bit away from Alto at the point of collision.

I am not trying to pass judgements here but I just analysed the damages and this is the only theory which comes to my mind.

However, what is unknown is the speed which Merc was travelling at. Assuming that emergency braking would have taken some speed off, I still believe it was travelling at a fair but not obsene speed at point of collision.

Finally, the structure of Alto does not look that mangled.I think human damages could have been minimised and unfortunate life loss could have been avoided with the use of seat belt.

Such accidents keep happening dime-a-dozen everyday. It is just that a celebrity/MP is involved in this case. Otherwise this would not have even found a mention in any of the national dailies.
vivekz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 18:43   #18135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I received a pic of a 2015 white Busa that met with an accident on the Blore-Kolar road earlier this week. The bike was in pieces and unfortunately so was the rider.
Does anyone have any info on this?
Yes. His name was Indrathirth. His family didn't know (at least they said so) that he has a Busa. No helmet or riding gears.
He took a bump/speed hump at high speed near Kolar and fell down. The bike was totaled and he was unconscious.
Sadly, the patrolling ambulance didn't see him (it happened post midnight ~3 AM AFAIK) and ran over him and hence you see his pics in that state. The irony was that, maybe he was killed by the Ambulance if not dead already.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed