Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2015, 19:07   #18181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umesh Kumar61 View Post
The man driving the tractor is so dumb.Look closely and see how he fled the scene. He actually ditched the tractor into a ditch.

He could have used the parking brake or at least engage the gear. There would have been another accident if it turned to the left.

Aren't there boards for approaching intersections. Even if there is right of way, it would be more safe to pass intersections slowly and anticipating the worst from others.

In many instances in the video i saw pelican lights clearly blinking. I assume that appropriate road signs would have been erected. Tell me how many people even regard these pelican lights? I was once rear ended by a biker as i slowed down to negotiate a speed breaker opposite dell on inner ring road just before airport road flyover. When i got down and asked him whether he even noticed the blinking pelican lights just before speed breaker, he wore the same looks as a 2 year old who is told to explain theory of relativity. And yes he was one of the so called "techie" of bangalore.
kiran_cr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 19:12   #18182
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umesh Kumar61 View Post
.... anticipating the worst from others.
I firmly think this is the most important characteristic that all the Drivers, especially in a country like ours, should irrevocably possess at all times !

I always "Drive in Fear" assuming every Driver to be bad and irresponsible and expect the worse of the worst so that I will remain watchful.

I agree there's little fun in Driving in Fear , but alas it is better to FEAR [THE UNKNOWN] which ceases with the drive than to undergo the pain that could haunt the entire life !
poised2drive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 21:23   #18183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
And yes he was one of the so called "techie" of bangalore...
And here must I bring your attention to the Golden words of Shaw from his magnum opus 'Man & Superman' about [the] people-

"...they are not educated; they are just college pass men ..."

I presume it is absolutely absurd to consider literates to be educated in our country
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 22:11   #18184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
And here must I bring your attention to the Golden words of Shaw from his magnum opus 'Man & Superman' about [the] people-

"...they are not educated; they are just college pass men ..."

I presume it is absolutely absurd to consider literates to be educated in our country

Exactly!! You read my mind. And age no bar concept is taken into account pretty seriously in this case. Just walk on ORR or inside ecospace and you will find mid/senior level professionals driving in every direction and on top of everything possible in their way, be it tarmac/foot path/ gutter slab.

These same people will be well behaved overseas but back home they unleash their vicious animalistic instincts!!!
kiran_cr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 00:27   #18185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow
Please take a look at the video regarding the accidents at intersections, majority of them are due fault of blind crossing by slow moving bikes. When one crosses or joins an intersection, he is supposed to stop, look, see and then proceed, how can one ask highway traffic to crawl to a stop to accommodate a joining traffic?
When I look at those videos, I feel some sections of the population should never get to drive. Both sides are complete morons because nobody wants to avoid the accident. I still don't get how if I am driving on the highway and if some vehicle crosses into my path and I can see it from a long distance, I won't apply brains, sorry brakes, and avoid an accident. Those people seem to be driving blindfolded.

And I don't think a Merc, which should have ABS, could have spun around and crossed the divider unless it was speeding. But then that's my opinion and not facts.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 00:35   #18186
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I remembered about this video, being circulated few months back.

A very good example of how accidents happen at village - highway intersections.
yes, this video generated lot of traffic on this thread a while back. Agree that some of the accidents are due to the utter callousness of the folks trying to get into the highway from the side. However the real reason this is a dangerous spot is because of IDIOTIC highway design. The engineer who approved for an intersection on a curve must be fired right away. In many cases, the vehicle on the highway has no way to know that there is an intersection coming up, until its too late. Also, the folks who are trying to get in, can't see what they can't physically see.
Old 7th July 2015, 10:10   #18187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
In many cases, the vehicle on the highway has no way to know that there is an intersection coming up, until its too late. Also, the folks who are trying to get in, can't see what they can't physically see.
If one keeps his eyes on road and has learnt all signages you can very well know about the intersection ahead. Ive very rarely seen these sighnages missing on our highways.
Old 7th July 2015, 10:22   #18188
BHPian

4 Students killed in Ambala when they drove into a stationary truck. The driver has been booked for negligence. All over the news today morning. Not sure if its the truckers fault.

News link:

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...tionary-truck/
Old 7th July 2015, 10:56   #18189
BHPian

Changing tire went wrong and claimed life.

"The incident happened when the deceased, who was a vegetable merchant, was going to Ambala along with his brother in their pick up van to sell peas. As they reached Zirakpur flyover at around 11.30 pm, the rear tyre of their vehicle got punctured.

While Jai Kishan was changing the tyre, a speeding car coming from Shimla side rammed into the parked vehicle. The car jack, which was balancing the van, buckled and the 1-tonne van fell on Jai Kishan. The driver of the car involved in the accident rammed his vehicle into the walls of the flyover.

The accused, identified as Abhishek Sharma Sector 38, too was critically injured. He was allegedly driving the car on high speed. "

http://www.nyoooz.com/chandigarh/144...icle-in-mohali

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
4 Students killed in Ambala when they drove into a stationary truck. The driver has been booked for negligence. All over the news today morning. Not sure if its the truckers fault.
Seems like case of overspeeding. Looking at the rear portion of the car, feels like another usual case of ignoring seatbelts, otherwise rear occupants atleast could have come out alive. Also the news article says they were two boys and three girls who were returning home after having their 10+2 exam party so the probability of minor driving the car under influence of alcohol also can not be refused.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 7th July 2015 at 11:02.
Old 7th July 2015, 11:32   #18190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
When I look at those videos, I feel some sections of the population should never get to drive. Both sides are complete morons because nobody wants to avoid the accident. I still don't get how if I am driving on the highway and if some vehicle crosses into my path and I can see it from a long distance, I won't apply brains, sorry brakes, and avoid an accident. Those people seem to be driving blindfolded.

And I don't think a Merc, which should have ABS, could have spun around and crossed the divider unless it was speeding. But then that's my opinion and not facts.
I agree on the morons driving thing. Loose licensing is the culprit. Regarding abs, sometimes uneducated drivers when panic breaking , release brake pedals when abs kicks in and the pedal pulses. That along with mad turning of the steering wheel, again in panic could explain the spin.
Old 7th July 2015, 11:45   #18191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Seems like case of overspeeding. Looking at the rear portion of the car, feels like another usual case of ignoring seatbelts, otherwise rear occupants atleast could have come out alive. Also the news article says they were two boys and three girls who were returning home after having their 10+2 exam party so the probability of minor driving the car under influence of alcohol also can not be refused.
My understanding exactly, booking the truck driver for negligence is a knee jerk reaction. If a truck breaks down on the road do they expect the driver and helper to push it? I only hope the truck had its hazard lights ON. Other wise it is a case of negligence. Surprisingly no one mentions if the students were licensed to drive.

Regards
RoS
Old 7th July 2015, 20:55   #18192
BHPian

Just saw this comment from maruti swift official Facebook fan page, mentioning awesomeness of the speed. Some crazy person did 170 kmph on a swift and maruti says "Awesome".

Couldn't resist replying to this.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1436282685.012947.jpg
rahulk2510 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 22:03   #18193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Changing tire went wrong and claimed life.
Quote:
My understanding exactly, booking the truck driver for negligence is a knee jerk reaction. If a truck breaks down on the road do they expect the driver and helper to push it? I only hope the truck had its hazard lights ON. Other wise it is a case of negligence. Surprisingly no one mentions if the students were licensed to drive.
I passed by that stretch 60 minutes after the crash had happened. It was a mistake both by the truck and car drivers. The truck was passed in right most lane, and the car would have made an overtaking maneuver at a high speed, which gave almost no reaction time and the car went into the truck. The brake marks of the car were seen over 20-30m.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th July 2015 at 09:13. Reason: Trimming quoted content. Inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 7th July 2015, 22:03   #18194
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1947compressed.jpg

This happened in our campus in the premises of our hospital about 10 days back. The driver who's an undergraduate medical student tried to negotiate a sharp curve at audacious speeds and got off the track, running into a barricade and a sign board. Damage to the car was appalling albeit no one got hurt.

P.S: In response to this incident, our dean took a stringent decision to lay speed humps in the campus every here and there.
Old 7th July 2015, 22:34   #18195
Senior - BHPian

Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
If one sees the accidents in the video above, the fault mostly lies with people taking the turns.

Like most accidents on our roads , all the crashes in this video were easily avoidable.

You might say most of these idiots took sudden turns right into the path of incoming vehicles , I will say these crashes could still have been avoided.

1- most of the drivers could have slowed down instead of flashing lights or honking at the vehicles taking these turns

2- common sense says vehicle ahead taking turns or not , one has to compulsorily slow down when approaching intersections. None of them look like slowing down

Not only the ones seen here , almost everyday I see morons honk or flash their headlights when approaching intersections " assuming " the other driver / rider will slow down ! And when 2 such idiots decide to cross , we see mangled metal or glass on the road.

Same way when approaching buses or trucks or vans. One should slow down and also keep honking at the same time. You never know who will dart across the road from behind the parked vehicle. But most smarties just honk and keep speeding. Some of them eve flash at cows assuming the cow will move instead of mooing.

I always drive assuming everyone around me is an idiot who might crash into me. So it's always defensive driving that I practice. Dunno , if it's plain luck or defensive driving , but these practices have ensured there hasn't been a single insurance claim ever since I started driving.

Hope these idiots learn from these blunders and drive carefully henceforth.

Last edited by speedsatya : 7th July 2015 at 22:36.
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed