Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2015, 00:38   #18346
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Re the cops' accident, a regional newspaper reported a passing vehicle caused a spray of water on the Duster's windshield causing the driver to lose control.

That's another problem to watch out for.
Water splashing suddenly onto the windscreen is dangerous and can catch us off-guard. Last year, my friend's elder brother crashed his Civic onto the divider just because of the same reason. Yesterday, even I faced similar problem after a very heavy downpour in my city. Even though I was doing hardly 40-50 kmph, the sudden splashes meant my visibility was zero for a second or so each time. That coupled with low light conditions and torrential rains was really unnerving. Due to proper anticipatory driving, I managed without any issue.
Old 27th July 2015, 19:40   #18347
Distinguished - BHPian

Got this on whatsapp from my cousin now. Accident near Kanayakanahalli on Chikmagalur Belur Road. Says 4 Dead and 8 Injured.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1438006193710.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1438006216230.jpg  

paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 21:31   #18348
BHPian

Water spray from vehicles in front just after a shower or during a light drizzle are always a pain. One way to ensure a smooth visibility is to have a good distance from the vehicle ahead and avoid heavy vehicles. Other one is ensure that the windshield spray bottle is filled with shampoo and water in 1 is to 5 ratio
So that glass become less cohesive for water. My 2 cents
Dieseldunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 00:26   #18349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Shocked over one fatality every four minutes in road accidents in India, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday said his government will soon implement a road safety policy.

Official statistics show 15 to 16 people in road accidents in the country every hour or nearly 380 every day. The daily toll includes 16 children. A total of 137,000 people became road accident victims in 2013.
Is it so difficult? Is it worth the cost of the people perishing?
  1. I think what India needs, as a first step, are mandatory pothole free and well engineered roads. Every foreign country I have visited have good, well marked roads including Thailand and Malaysia. This is the first step to prevent accidents.
  2. Even if the road is recently laid, the edges of the road are at an incredible height from the land-base below due to tar top-up. This is particularly dangerous for bikes. How much are you saving by leaving out that extra bit?
  3. Is it that difficult to lay rumble strips? This can help in a huge way in preventing most of the accidents happening due to drowsy drivers hitting the dividers or crashing onto footpaths.
  4. Is it that difficult to repaint or atleast paint all the roads with reflective paint?
  5. Is it that difficult to provide good quality and well visible signal lights? Do they only have to be at IT areas and rich neighborhoods? Shouldn't they be mandated everywhere?
  6. Making the road rules strict is ok, but what about the roads themselves?

I am still wondering and sadly, will keep wondering
zesty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 03:41   #18350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Just villagers? I see software professionals (of both genders) and residents of flats along most suburban areas in bangalore (regardless of software or not, and mostly driving expensive cars) doing much the same thing. Why single out poor villagers for that?
During my recent trip to my home in Hyderabad , I saw residents of nearby apartments mostly comprising of educated people having a walk / jog in the mornings and evenings on the Outer Ring Road !! I just could not believe my eyes every day and really wanted to tell them to get off as it just takes a single mistake from someone to ram into them at more than 100 kmph,I saw cops conducting breathalyser tests but they did not blink an eye when these people walked past them. When will we ever learn.

Last edited by vickzkool : 28th July 2015 at 03:42. Reason: Correct Spelling Error
vickzkool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 06:43   #18351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty View Post
Is it so difficult? Is it worth the cost of the people perishing?
  1. I think what India needs, as a first step, are mandatory pothole free and well engineered roads. Every foreign country I have visited have good, well marked roads including Thailand and Malaysia. This is the first step to prevent accidents.
  2. Even if the road is recently laid, the edges of the road are at an incredible height from the land-base below due to tar top-up. This is particularly dangerous for bikes. How much are you saving by leaving out that extra bit?
  3. Is it that difficult to lay rumble strips? This can help in a huge way in preventing most of the accidents happening due to drowsy drivers hitting the dividers or crashing onto footpaths.
  4. Is it that difficult to repaint or atleast paint all the roads with reflective paint?
  5. Is it that difficult to provide good quality and well visible signal lights? Do they only have to be at IT areas and rich neighborhoods? Shouldn't they be mandated everywhere?
  6. Making the road rules strict is ok, but what about the roads themselves?

I am still wondering and sadly, will keep wondering
In addition to what you have mentioned, driving discipline is one aspect that should come from the individual concerned. We can do a lot of things to make the roads travel worthy. But who is going to bell the cat as far as driving discipline is concerned??
It is we and we only who should inculcate that discipline. This along with good roads will go a long way in reducing accidents.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 10:13   #18352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Got this on whatsapp from my cousin now. Accident near Kanayakanahalli on Chikmagalur Belur Road. Says 4 Dead and 8 Injured.
Here is some more info and couple of pictures from news paper report today:
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1438058568213.jpg  

Old 28th July 2015, 10:31   #18353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Here is some more info and couple of pictures from news paper report today:
It was said by the truck driver that the axle of the lorry broke and caused this accident. He is still in hospital and trying to recover with a serious injury to his head.

Let the poor people souls rest in peace. It is really sad that people have to shed their blood for no mistake of theirs
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 10:55   #18354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
It was said by the truck driver that the axle of the lorry broke and caused this accident. He is still in hospital and trying to recover with a serious injury to his head.

Let the poor people souls rest in peace. It is really sad that people have to shed their blood for no mistake of theirs
The truck's owner typically will overload it beyond its rated capacity - and whoever heard of proper maintenance. And the other vehicle is a tempo traveler, and we all know how rashly those are driven .. so that any quick swerve by the truck to avoid the oncoming TT could easily lead to a broken axle given overload and poor maintenance.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 15:14   #18355
BHPian

Never imagined an overloading could lead to this

It pays to be aware and stay clear of such dangers as far as possible
Gotham_City is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 14:08   #18356
Senior - BHPian

What is it with 'crossovers' and they 'Crossing Over'?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150731wa0029.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150731wa0028.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150731wa0027.jpg

(pic received as a WhatsApp forward)
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 15:02   #18357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Built like a Tank...... Tail Lights

It seems the glass used for tail lights has more tensile than the sheet metal.
Old 31st July 2015, 15:06   #18358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Water splashing suddenly onto the windscreen is dangerous and can catch us off-guard. Last year, my friend's elder brother crashed his Civic onto the divider just because of the same reason. Yesterday, even I faced similar problem after a very heavy downpour in my city. Even though I was doing hardly 40-50 kmph, the sudden splashes meant my visibility was zero for a second or so each time. That coupled with low light conditions and torrential rains was really unnerving. Due to proper anticipatory driving, I managed without any issue.
Off topic but this a very real and present danger for which I cannot think of any solution except those windscreen coatings that very few use.

The splash can happen from a car coming in the opposite direction or from a car that is overtaking or at 7-10 feet in front and lacking mudguards. It is not necessary that big vehicles are the cause. Few days back a WagonR in front of me caused a bad splash that was tolerable only because the road quality was too poor to use 3rd gear. Even a splash on the outside mirrors can be a potential risk, especially if you are already in a lane change manoeuvre.
Old 31st July 2015, 15:11   #18359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
This is a common failure observed in a part present in CUVs, and also other vehicles. There is a nut that connects the steering wheel to the seat. Often, this nut fails at its job and exceeds the design specifications and capabilities of the vehicle creating a crash.

Manufacturers have often put in various aids to avoid this failure, and to minimize the damage if it does fail. Sadly, despite any manner of remedial action performed, this nut has shown it has a consistent ability to fail at its one job.
arunphilip is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 15:16   #18360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
This is a common failure observed in a part present in CUVs, and also other vehicles. There is a nut that connects the steering wheel to the seat. Often, this nut fails at its job and exceeds the design specifications and capabilities of the vehicle creating a crash.

Manufacturers have often put in various aids to avoid this failure, and to minimize the damage if it does fail. Sadly, despite any manner of remedial action performed, this nut has shown it has a consistent ability to fail at its one job.
Interesting point you make here. I have never come across a discussion of the "nut" in question here. Do you have a source for this?

Edit: Turns out I am one of the nuts.

Last edited by watfor : 31st July 2015 at 15:36.
watfor is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks