Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2015, 16:14   #18496
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A Lamborghini Gallardo Supercar went up in Flames in New Delhi today morning.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-lamborghinigallardofire650_650x400_51440401228.jpg

Source:
http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/rs-2-...-delhi-1210348
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 16:51   #18497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I was under the impression that the steel coaches are robust enough. But to see the lorry literally plunge into the coaches, I am aghast.
Well, judging the strength of any structure after accident is not the right way to assess robustness.
Accidents in India have so many factors playing in it, that design engineers cannot accommodate it in the design of metal cage in any vehicle.

In this case, a stone laden truck plunged at 90 degree angle at very high relative speed, simply impossible to design for such situations and train/truck are expected to deform quite badly.
Acharya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 21:12   #18498
Senior - BHPian

Driving back to Mumbai from Pune this evening at around 445 pm, this SX4 overtakes me and then angles his way into the median and flips over straight into my lane. The Skoda behind him is lucky too.

I managed to stop since I was around 90 kmph. All 3 people were safe with minor cuts to one of them.

Drive safe guys. I think 100 kmph is the max you can you do safely on the MPEH.

This is video captured on my dash cam.

normally_crazy is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 21:24   #18499
BHPian

Wooo this seems to be the case of Driver drowsing away. God bless you and the Skoda guy or else it could have been fatal. Also good to know that nobody in that vehicle sustained any serious injuries
Shivanshu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 21:31   #18500
Senior - BHPian

Whoa, that was a close shave! Thank God you guys were driving at sane speeds!
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 21:33   #18501
Senior - BHPian

That skoda didnt even stop. Where is this world heading to. cant believe one would just flee the scene. Havent heard of the term that this can happen to you as well and you will be happy that someone is there to help.

@normally_crazy You did the right thing to stop and help thanks. And thanks for maintaining sane speed on a relatively free highway ensuring you ahve enough time to react.
VW2010 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 21:37   #18502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Driving back to Mumbai from Pune this evening at around 445 pm, this SX4 overtakes me and then angles his way into the median and flips over straight into my lane. The Skoda behind him is lucky too.

I managed to stop since I was around 90 kmph. All 3 people were safe with minor cuts to one of them.

Drive safe guys. I think 100 kmph is the max you can you do safely on the MPEH.

This is video captured on my dash cam.
Wow. That's a nasty one. Good to see they escaped. Looks like either he napped or was indulged on his phone as so many people do these days. A few seconds make the difference when someone takes their eyes off road.

Last edited by bblost : 25th August 2015 at 00:20. Reason: removed embedded video
Old 24th August 2015, 21:42   #18503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

Thanks for sharing the video and doing the right thing by stopping by and helping the accident victimes. At around the 14 seconds mark in the video I can see someone getting thrown out of the window. It is not very clear. refer the portion in red box. Was it one of the passengers or luggage. If passenger, then he/she should thank his stars. An very obvious case of not wearing seat belts.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sx4-flipping-over.jpg

Edit: Seems to be a clear case of drowsines/ sleeping at the wheel. Had that guy been in his senses, he would have tried to apply the brakes. But brake lights didn't lit up. Conclusion, slept over the wheel, lost the control, hit the median and went tumbling to glory. Had it been tyre burst, he would have noticed and tried to apply brakes, but that does not seem to be the case here.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 24th August 2015 at 21:47.
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 22:07   #18504
BHPian

Even i believe, this is a case of sleeping on wheel.
Lucky those people in the car, came out just with some minor scratches.

When people learn & obey the rule on highway. The permit speed limit is 80 KMPH on Express highway. The car seems running above 100 kmph.
Old 24th August 2015, 22:10   #18505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

At around the 14 seconds mark in the video I can see someone getting thrown out of the window. It is not very clear. refer the portion in red box. Was it one of the passengers or luggage. If passenger, then he/she should thank his stars. An very obvious case of not wearing seat belts.
That looked like the torn front bumper to me.

Towards the end of the video, through the windscreen view, it appears that both the airbags have deployed.
schakravarthy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 22:32   #18506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
That looked like the torn front bumper to me.

Towards the end of the video, through the windscreen view, it appears that both the airbags have deployed.
Yep! Torn bumper! Had to see the video in full-screen for that!
It's surprising as to how other people didn't feel the car going sideways or noticing the sleepy driver. Did that occur THAT quickly?
Old 24th August 2015, 22:39   #18507
BHPian

Shocking!! Can't believe that was on the Mumbai Pune expressway. It was heartening to know they just came out with a few scratches. Paying complete attention to the road especially at such high speeds is of prime importance.
Old 24th August 2015, 22:49   #18508
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised how the truck scythed through the train coach. What truck was that? SX4 flip-over was scary. Either the guy dozed off or he was fumbling for something , like a CD or was fiddling with some knobs in the central console. These things can get pretty nasty. Momentary distraction is all it takes to send a car careening.

And lastly, the Lambo! Ah, either he might have revved the engine to the moon ( to his and others' aural pleasure or to announce his arrival ) or he might have crawled through built-up areas for such a long period of time as to build up enough heat to ignite things. Super cars and super bikes' engines heat up tremendously in inner-city crawl. Like a ship needs high seas and like a plane needs to head out to altitudes, an SBK or super car needs to head out to highway as quickly as it can. No good crawling within cities.
Old 24th August 2015, 23:59   #18509
Senior - BHPian

Just today when i was planning to get a dashcam, I happened to have experienced a horrible incident, Driving at around 11pm at around 50 Kph, And i could see a valet person about to cross the road from the opposite side, He was far away from my car, But then someone driving an i20 really fast was coming from the opposite side and this valet person decides to cross the road before the i20 could pass, And the result? The car banged into him and the guy came right in front of my car out of nowhere, Thank you VW for providing my Jetta with amazing braking power, I felt ABS kicking in, My car had just stopped a feet away from him. The guy in i20 did not stop (Offcourse) And the valet person started crawling towards the corner, He was looking fine but he would have surely had internal injuries the impact was really bad, Following all this people who were coming from behind my car thought i had dashed into the guy, But instantly he told the people it wasn't my fault. Another lesson learnt, You cannot be always at fault but you you can't be sure of not getting into a mess. Drive Safe! (Off to buy a dashcam)
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 07:57   #18510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
But, an Express Bus plying to Udupi which was behind the Alto and probably tailgating him, did not take notice and rammed into the back of the Alto and the Alto in turn rear ended my car.

So I called up my uncle who is well versed in these matters and also asked the Alto driver to call up any of his contacts. Once the contacts arrived, they called up the local MLA, and he in turn instructed the Police to take action. Within 5 minutes, the place was sprawling with Policemen.
I have had a couple of narrow escapes from these buses, especially when the Mangalore - Udupi Road was been constructed few years ago. They are the most notorious bus drivers I have ever come across.

Hope the Alto guy is not bullied into paying bribe by the police.

OT - Dear Mahesh Prasad, you seems to be a very useful fellow when being in Mangalore as you can reach to the Local MLA
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks