Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2015, 11:30   #18526
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Attachment 1407575

This is the boulder and I would say it was lucky that the causalities were limited to a few. Had the train been running at greater speed, it could have derailed and the stone could have crushed more bogies.
Thank God that the boulder did not crash into Unreserved or II class sleeper compartments. The casualties would have increased drastically compared to AC compartments. Nevertheless whether it is AC or non AC compartments, the loss of life/lives always hurts.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 15:33   #18527
Senior - BHPian

News in Times of India - August 25, 2015 - Pune Edition

Quote:
Passengers travelling on a state road transport corporation bus on the Satara-Pusegaon route were in for a jolt when the rear wheels of the bus suddenly came off while passing by the district collectorate on Monday afternoon. Only nine passengers were travelling in the bus and one of them was injured in the accident. Some RPI activists, who were conducting a sit-in agitation in front of the collectorate, helped the injured man
What kind of maintenance is being undertaken on these buses?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-msrtc.jpg  

vrprabhu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 16:51   #18528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Well, nothing new, considering a similar incident reported in this very thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2621441

These buses are abused to no end, and rarely get the attention that's due. If you can find Volvo B7RLEs running with brake system related warnings and alerts on the MID, what would you expect from these 'lower class' buses!
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 18:33   #18529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
News in Times of India - August 25, 2015 - Pune Edition

All the public transport buses are abused to the core. In Bangalore invariably you will find a volvo city bus having broken down and the frequency of breaking down seems to be increasing with every passing day.
Old 27th August 2015, 09:56   #18530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
As soon as the truck broke through the crossing barrier and hit the AC coach, the 20 Tonne granite boulder flew off the truck flat bed like a projectile crushing the truck cabin and hit the coach. Due to its enormous weight and momentum, the boulder sliced through the tough metal skin of the coach and exited from the other side of the coach causing a gaping hole.
Does not look like it exited from the other side of the coach. The other side looks intact.

But this would have been a rude and painful death for those who perished! They would not even know what hit them! :(
Old 27th August 2015, 10:03   #18531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
All the public transport buses are abused to the core. In Bangalore invariably you will find a volvo city bus having broken down and the frequency of breaking down seems to be increasing with every passing day.
There is a difference here. BMTC buses might break down quite often but the bus parts wont come off the bus like this. Rear axle getting detached from the bus without the bus colliding with any vehicle is quite extreme case and shows how pathetic the maintenance is.
Old 27th August 2015, 12:54   #18532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Does not look like it exited from the other side of the coach. The other side looks intact.
That is what the Times of India report mentioned that it exited from the other side. (link to the TOI news article). Also the pic in the in the newspaper hardcopy of the AC 1st class coach also showed a hole on both sides of the compartment that took the direct hit.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 27th August 2015 at 12:58.
Old 28th August 2015, 18:21   #18533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
video captured on my dash cam.
I do not believe in luck/fate, but some instances just make wonder...

Kindly take the time to set the date&time accurately. Will be real useful if (God forbid) you ever have to rely on your dashcam footage for any reason.

Good luck and drive safe.
Old 29th August 2015, 00:19   #18534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Even in a car - the side impact has much less survival chances than a frontal impact IIRC - no crumple zone doing its magic.
Very much agree with you.
This also reminds me of the accident of the union minister Mr. Gopinath Munde last year due to side impact at a crossing.

Considering the absence of the crumple zone, will the side air bags be really useful in the cars?
Old 29th August 2015, 06:57   #18535
BHPian

Once I was going to Jaipur alone in my Brio. There were two other cars, Swift and other one I think was Figo. We were kind of racing each other. I know it can be risky but at that time I didn't care that much. It was proving to be a great time pass. I was enjoying and Brio was doing fairly well.

There was this truck on the right most lane which kind of slowed down. I was in the middle lane behind the truck and didn't see anything. But seeing the truck slow down I also applied brakes automatically. Figo came behind me and stopped. A Mule/Ass appeared from the front of the truck trying to cross the road. Swift which was behind the Figo in the left most lane didn't stop and hit the mule at full speed. Must be above 100 kmph. Mule flung into the air and fell behind the swift. Bonnet went in completely and there was smoke. The guy parked the car at roadside and without even bothering for the mule just looked at his bonnet and started calling someone.

I don't know why he didn't apply brakes when 3 vehicles in front of him have stopped. 2 of them he had been racing for almost half an hour. But from that day onward I have sort of stopped doing such things.
Metallicar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 07:23   #18536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
That is what the Times of India report mentioned that it exited from the other side. (link to the TOI news article). Also the pic in the in the newspaper hardcopy of the AC 1st class coach also showed a hole on both sides of the compartment that took the direct hit.
It's just that that gaping hole is not visible in the pics posted here. The damaged bogey in the pic seems to have its other side fairly intact, at least no holes.
Old 29th August 2015, 09:23   #18537
Distinguished - BHPian

A grim reminder on the perils of tailgating, absence of underrun protection bars, and in general, not knowing how to drive.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_1414.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 10:10   #18538
Distinguished - BHPian

SST tailgating is dangerous as you keep sharing. Is that blood on passengers door?
Old 29th August 2015, 10:41   #18539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A grim reminder on the perils of tailgating, absence of underrun protection bars, and in general, not knowing how to drive.

I think the last point- " NOT KNOWING HOW TO DRIVE", is the the most common cause.
Old 29th August 2015, 10:52   #18540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Attachment 1408493
Was this Scorpio run under truck on NH8? I recall seeing a Scoprio stuck under truck just before the Gurgaon toll gate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks