Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2015, 17:14   #18631
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Spotted yesterday on route to Igatpuri
Looks like the bus took the hairpin with way too much speed!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0270.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0271.jpg  

Last edited by johannskaria : 13th September 2015 at 17:15.
Old 14th September 2015, 07:36   #18632
Senior - BHPian

A 19 year old died when the car they were traveling fell into a canal.

19-yr-old-dies-after-SUV-falls-into-Canal

This is another fatality involving self drive cars. There were 8 people in a 7 seater and the group involved engineering students with very little experience behind the wheel.

I love the concept of self drive cars and the freedom they provide, but such instances make me wonder whether there should be a stringent norms for renting such cars.
Old 14th September 2015, 09:51   #18633
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday morning around 11:30am on Nice road towards the Tumkur. Somewhere after Mysore road exit on the NICE road. There was this Swift Dzire in the left most shoulder lane. Front was completely damaged. Some ladies in the car were unhurt and out. A lot of people had gathered and help was o the way. I did not stop but caught this one from dash-cam.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20150914-9.11.09-am.png

I have no idea how this happened and what caused the accident. From the look of it appeared to be scary. My guess is probably left side overtaking a truck might have gone wrong and ended up in this crash.

Sorry no more pics, I was driving and phone was out of reach.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 10:26   #18634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
A 19 year old died when the car they were traveling fell into a canal.
Uh oh... I was driving between Kanakapura and Bangalore between 12 and 1 PM yesterday and did pass a badly driven Zoomcar XUV with a bunch of kids inside at least a couple of times (they were doing up/down on that road for some reason).

Quote:
I love the concept of self drive cars and the freedom they provide, but such instances make me wonder whether there should be a stringent norms for renting such cars.
What kind of norms? Can't think of anything that can be made applicable only for rent-a-cars and not for the rest of the vehicles.
Old 14th September 2015, 11:03   #18635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
What kind of norms? Can't think of anything that can be made applicable only for rent-a-cars and not for the rest of the vehicles.
Not from the authorities, but from the rental agencies.
Minimum age of 25 should be made mandatory for hiring self drive cars.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 11:46   #18636
BHPian

16 people lose their lives in Andhra Pradesh.

Source - News article.
Old 14th September 2015, 14:23   #18637
BHPian

Came across the news in Times Of India today of a 19 year old engineering student feared drowned and seven of his friends survived after their SUV fell into a canal near Chunchi Falls, 90 kms from Bengaluru, on Sunday afternoon. The team has hired a Mahindra XUV 500 from a self drive car rental service. Locals have cited the driver had not heeded to the warning which did not allow the vehicles from proceeding further from a designated parking spot. The group had drove down a steep and kutcha road to the base of the falls. They reached the waterfalls safely & had spent some time there.While returning, the vehicle encountered a steep terrain. In an attemp to climb up, the driver at the wheel stepped up the accelerator, resulting the vehicle skidding & falling into the powerhose canal down the ravine.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th September 2015 at 07:13. Reason: Typo
Old 14th September 2015, 16:02   #18638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In UK there is minimum age of 25 and (If I remember correctly) minimum of two years holding full (ie not provisional/learner) licence, with even stricter provisions for high-value/high-power vehicles.

Whilst there is obviously a commercial interest in keeping cars undamaged and on the road, I suspect that the real financial pressure to impose such sanctions comes from the insurance companies.

Why Indian Insurance companies do not charge according to assessed risks of the driver I do not know. Actuaries do not make this stuff up, and the analysis of accident claims does not lie.

I admit that it is frustrating for the young and inexperienced to be priced off the road. Been there, suffered that. But I believe it will reduce accidents.

Finally, whether there is a financial penalty or not, it seems to me to be morally and socially irresponsible for a hire company to rent, self-drive, to young, inexperienced, drivers. Keep death off the roads --- don't help it to be in the roads!

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th September 2015 at 16:14. Reason: Most of the thinking was done after posting
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 16:39   #18639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Why Indian Insurance companies do not charge according to assessed risks of the driver I do not know. Actuaries do not make this stuff up, and the analysis of accident claims does not lie.
Excellent point - linking the risk profile with the driver will reward/penalize drivers, irrespective of the car they have. While it might not be pleasant to have UK's style of aggressively tailored premiums (e.g. high performance vehicles carry a stringent premium, particularly if you're young), it does encourage safety.

On similar lines, I'd made a suggestion on the Zoom car thread, click the '>' below for details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
How can self-drive rentals encourage safer and more careful driving among their customers?
I've an idea, but its just a random half-baked thought, so don't beat me up if there's some fatal flaw in this idea
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 07:19   #18640
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Zipcar (from whom Zoomcar have copied the business model and a lot of other things from) have a simple policy that they don't allow membership to people younger than 21 (there are some exceptions). 21 is also the minimum legal drinking age in the US. Zipcar have also not been hesitant in banning members on the basis of repeated traffic violations (witnessed this myself several times).

I suppose Zoomcar figured that Indian young adults can be more trustworthy in rental cars or they managed to find relatively generous insurers.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 15th September 2015 at 07:25.
Tanmay K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 09:25   #18641
BHPian

Quote:
I suppose Zoomcar figured that Indian young adults can be more trustworthy in rental cars or they managed to find relatively generous insurers.
I don't think Zoomcar has any generous insurers. It is just the VC money speaking.

However, I do not think age based banning should work as rash driving as no age (although incidence is higher among younger ones). One cannot and should not ban renting out to youngsters. After all that is the age to explore new places.

But there can be some steps which can help. Like lower speed limits for younger age drivers which can be electronically tracked. No allowing big SUVs/ 7 seaters as these are difficult to master especially at high speed corners. Hope to see these rentals take some of the responsibility of making the roads a safer place.
Old 15th September 2015, 10:23   #18642
BHPian

Why blame zoom cars are we ok if the accident had occurred in an own vehicle.

Speed is highly judgemental and judicious for use. People willimg to risk judgement also risk their lives. How many SUVs are on the road and some are driven by people who really belong to the looney bin. Driving well and driving safe are having a thin line of difference in the approach.
Safety and security are common to all and penalties for over riding another person's safety and security needs to attract severe legal action. This is the optimal way of reducing accidents due to unwarranted speeds or driving.
Dieseldunk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 11:47   #18643
BHPian

Surely, nobody will be OK if accidents occur in own vehicles.

Its the mind set issue here.
As one doesn't own the vehicle, they tend to abuse it. when they go overboard, accidents result. The same mind set issue applies to everything that is loaned. Rental house cupboard doors are always kicked in, never pushed. Garbage piled up. Never disposed.
I know some people who park their own cars and rent ZOOM cars just so that they can drive fast OR go places where they don't want to take their own vehicles.
If we can cultivate the mindset that we own this vehicle as long as we are renting it and its in our own, good interest that we take care of it [and in the interest of the next renter] - This scenario will not repeat.
FORTified is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 17:44   #18644

Could there be a worse reason for losing lives?

Please watch out for these landmines on our roads, esp 2-wheelers.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/48950267.cms

Note from Support - Please avoid typing in capital letters and type in full English (no short forms).

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th September 2015 at 21:45.
Old 15th September 2015, 21:06   #18645
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Yes I agree, but tampering a coracle by choice and earning money by sinking people is so disgusting, inhuman and indigestible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Its demand vs suppy. There is a movie in tamizh called Kazhugu which portrays the life of such workers.

I wish our we take neccessary steps to first not put ourselves or our family in danger.

Life jacket is a must when you know swimming in places like hoggenakkal and imagine my stance for those who dont know swimming.

Why would you risk 12,14 year olds life to take a ride in that clearly defined ride called death.

It makes no sense to me to put our kid s life in risk in such a scenario and worst case the parents didnt know swimming.

Most Viewed