Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2015, 21:38   #18646
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Yes I agree, but tampering a coracle by choice and earning money by sinking people is so disgusting, inhuman and indigestible.
Same thoughts here, when I read this for the first time. I have 'endangered' myself in the coracle ride in Bheemeshwari Fishing Camp - but I insisted on a life Jacket. Now, that I know, there is no way I am ever doing that death ride again. Why in the world will I take a risk which has very hardly any upside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway_beckons View Post
COULD THERE BE A WORSE REASON FOR LOSING LIVES?
Just a couple of nights back, I saw a biker badly injured after hitting a huge pot hole near the Baiyapanahalli Metro bridge (Bangalore). He was lucky that he was wearing a helmet which saved his life. Its now covered with a temporary cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
However, I do not think age based banning should work as rash driving as no age (although incidence is higher among younger ones). One cannot and should not ban renting out to youngsters. After all that is the age to explore new places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Why blame zoom cars are we ok if the accident had occurred in an own vehicle.
Speed is highly judgemental and judicious for use. P.
It is generally accepted all over the world that the younger drivers are far more riskier and I would not doubt it for a second. Until and unless someone has a decent record that he/she has been driving for a considerable amount of time, I would not bet on him to keep it safe.
The cutoff (age) could be easily arrived with some statistics.

I guess, what Self Rentals (and Insurers) can do is that start charging a premium for insurance for newer drivers. The RTOs can make rule changes that a person who has just got his license cannot drive on the highway without an experienced driver. It's not that we cannot do anything about it, all depends on the will of the administration.

I understand people are all right to take risks with their lives but they do not realize that they are posing a serious danger to others as well, which is a serious no no.
pratyush6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 21:54   #18647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway_beckons View Post
Could there be a worse reason for losing lives?
Yes: bad driving

Quote:
Please watch out for these landmines on our roads, esp 2-wheelers.
I don't deny that some of these are dangerous, even sometimes criminally, insanely dangerous, but the driving has to be taken into account too. That article seems to fail on that score.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/48950267.cms

Note from Support - Please avoid typing in capital letters and type in full English (no short forms).
[/quote]
Old 15th September 2015, 21:56   #18648
Senior - BHPian

Most, if not all, developed countries follow a rule of 'discriminating' against young drivers, be it car rentals or private car insurance premium.
They have arrived at this conclusion based on extensive data collection and analysis.
Too bad if a couple of youngsters here feel bad about it but that is the way businesses work the world over.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 03:28   #18649
Distinguished - BHPian

It is business practice, but it is based on truth. Youngsters and inexperienced drivers have more accidents. As you say: extensive data collection and analysis. Very extensive.

Of course youngsters feel bad about it. I felt bad about it too, all those years ago.

To any individual youngster who may complain, one can only say, yes, you may be a great driver, but sadly, others of your age are not, and they are in the majority. And, frankly, you are probably not as good as you think you are. That tends to be a fact of life, a fact of growing up, and a fact of gaining experience --- which is not necessarily anything to do with age at all. Whether a person starts at 18 or 45, they are still most likely to have an accident in their first two years on the road.

(This is based on young people, and insurers, I have known, around the world, including myself. It does not refer to any individual)

I really feel for the young guy who drowned in the SUV. His only fault might have been that he went beyond his experience and ability. Actually, that can happen to any of us at any age.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 08:06   #18650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

To any individual youngster who may complain, one can only say, yes, you may be a great driver, but sadly, others of your age are not, and they are in the majority. And, frankly, you are probably not as good as you think you are. That tends to be a fact of life, a fact of growing up, and a fact of gaining experience --- which is not necessarily anything to do with age at all. Whether a person starts at 18 or 45, they are still most likely to have an accident in their first two years on the road.

(This is based on young people, and insurers, I have known, around the world, including myself. It does not refer to any individual)

I really feel for the young guy who drowned in the SUV. His only fault might have been that he went beyond his experience and ability. Actually, that can happen to any of us at any age.
Well said! Sad at the loss of life in this case. But facts are facts, however much "modern" ways of thinking might say otherwise. And unless the insurers and rental car companies start changing their rules, accidents will continue to happen. And more people may die. Brutal to say that but...
Old 16th September 2015, 10:47   #18651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To any individual youngster who may complain, one can only say, yes, you may be a great driver, but sadly, others of your age are not, and they are in the majority. And, frankly, you are probably not as good as you think you are.
There's this quotation "This is why we can't have nice things" - and its something I think of every time I see a lovely road that has over time become littered with speed breakers - some idiot drove with more speed than common sense, harmed someone else, and ruined that road for the rest of us.

Roads, rules and regulations are aimed at the 'average' user, not those above the 50th percentile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
And unless the insurers and rental car companies start changing their rules, accidents will continue to happen. And more people may die. Brutal to say that but...
This reminds me of the quotation from the movie Fight Club:
Quote:
A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
I'm sure accountants and actuaries are right now crunching the numbers to find out the tipping point where it makes sense to increase insurance cover, and pass that on to the consumer, along with rule changes.
Old 16th September 2015, 12:04   #18652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
There's this quotation "This is why we can't have nice things" - and every time I see a lovely road that has over time become littered with speed breakers - some idiot drove with more speed

I'm sure accountants and actuaries are right now crunching makes sense to increase insurance cover, and pass that on to the consumer, along with rule changes.

Hi

Very much could be OT

my 2cents on the insurance angle all of us are talking here about. This is purely from my experience and exposure to the Actuarial side and Underwriting domain. The below observations are in particular to Indian road driving requirements and also some general views

The MVR (Motor Vehicles Record) is not validated in India as seen in mature European markets
We also do not demarcate license based on educational qualification

Stringent driving norms for test are not present
The very attitude of have car will drive and have money will buy is inculcated into the mind of children by over indulgent parents and this needs to be rectified
As said by insurers on many forums a clear differentiation between Amateur and Professional licenses should come into play. For example a person with an amateur license cannot drive a car of more than 1100cc or bike of more than 350cc. A professional license holder can drive vehicles exceeding this limit. The norms for passing will be highly based on skill and safety complex decisions.
Pedestrians especially in crowded cities have a habit of ignoring zebra crossings we should have pedestrian signals too to help reduce accidents.
Signals should be timed for synchronous driving and also CCTV at all roads for easier police surveillance to ensure speed limits are met with

More thoughts are there but will pen them on a different thread..

Cheers
Prasad
Dieseldunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 15:08   #18653
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is an amazing bit of lifesaving in that video (I hope he succeeded) where a guy pulls someone from under a moving bus just as the wheel would have gone over his head.
If you're referring to the RED bus @2:56 in the video, I suspect not. The person seems to have fallen head-away from the bus but it does seem to go over his legs. The good Samaritan also reacts as if he's seen something gruesome, I hope not.
Old 16th September 2015, 16:15   #18654
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd rather hope, than watch the video again and check!
Old 16th September 2015, 19:10   #18655
Distinguished - BHPian

Got these pictures from a Whatsapp group. No concrete idea about the cause of the accident or the fate of occupants.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1442410739901.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1442410763012.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1442410776544.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1442410790144.jpg  

Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 19:29   #18656
BHPian

God Almighty! How on earth can a car be so mangled? Engine, suspension, everything has come apart. Body shell is amazingly intact though; hopefully only minor injuries.
Old 16th September 2015, 19:36   #18657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Got these pictures from a Whatsapp group. No concrete idea about the cause of the accident or the fate of occupants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
How on earth can a car be so mangled? Engine, suspension, everything has come apart. Body shell is amazingly intact though; hopefully only minor injuries.
I almost wonder if the car either went off a ramp, or landed hard from some height. There's grevious damage to the suspension, the engine is sheared off its mounts - the latter indicates high G forces. In comparison, the body shell doesn't seem as damaged as one would expect in a collision, and seems relatively intact.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 19:45   #18658
BHPian

Quote:
Agree. Not knowing one's own limitations, that of the equipment & the terrain is all about the maturity. While I do feel bad about loss of life, it is probably better not knowing the limitation happened in an isolated place & no one else (outside the party) is hurt.
PS: I am assuming that it is his fault, but we may never know exactly what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Read about the GM's decision to not replace ignition keys, despite the risk (don't remember the details). Movies arent so far from reality?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
One really smashed up car, doesn't look to be on sane speeds!
babu.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 19:48   #18659
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Exactly seems to be that. Like it fell from the sky.
Looking at the bottom of the body, it has expanded , all the wheel and suspension shot .
The front cross member and engine looks like it popped out on impact.

Very curious on how this occurred.
Looks like NICE road from the concrete surface.
Old 16th September 2015, 20:30   #18660
Team-BHP Support

IF that's the BSK-Sompura stretch of NICE Road, this could very well be a high-speed flip across a divider (that stretch has some very juicy sweeping elevation changing corners and I've seen plenty of idiots ripping under-tired contraptions here) OR possibly a fall from one of the overhead passes over the NICE corridor (Uttarahalli Road?).

All conjecture of course and this could be somewhere/something else entirely.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed