Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2015, 12:19   #18736
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
This is the reason we need more education amongst drivers. While debating who's at fault, at times we ignore the damage. Even if a car is at fault and rear-ends me when I'm stopped for a red light, I'll be the one who'll be sitting in hospital. I think the police should start registering such cases as culpable homicide not amounting to murder. This way at least the fear of law might invoke sensible driving habits.

OT- the police should read Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point. The way New York subway reduced crimes and fare beatings is amazing.
Expecting the cops to read? Lol,in NCR if you spot a PCR car patrolling, 90% of the time it's going in the wrong way. They rarely follow red lights or any other traffic rules. Expecting them to read a book is like asking a cow to observe good sanitation. It ain't happening.

That Mobilio running over a women raises a serious issue with the Yamuna expressway, these sprinting pedestrians. It's so bad that I try to avoid the expressway.
Doge is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 12:25   #18737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
They didn't run away, more likely taking time to come to a halt. The clippings abruptly cut off and doesn't completely show what happens next.
To be honest the bus does not seem to show any intention of stopping to me, I may be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
The lady got hit by a Honda Mobilio. Now that Mobilio guy might have got harassed for no fault if his.
Now this is a tricky one because of the mob mentality in India, people get physical first and then ask whose fault it was. Again even if its Mobilio's fault, is it justified to start pounding the driver with fists?

I witnessed such an accident the other day in Pune. This Jetta was trying to take a U-turn but had to start from the extreme left of the road very close to the turn, as it was parked there. To the Jetta's credit it started indicating long before moving off, and was going really slow in anticipation of traffic overtaking it at the time of the turn. In comes a speeding white Activa, the rider not expecting anyone to turn in his way. Now the Jetta hasnt moved an inch its only standing there with the indicator going, giving way to the Activa, the Activa guy though notices the Jetta and the indicator very late, panics, skids and ends up right next to the Jetta, almost scrapping the side of the Jetta with his Activa. Both Activa rider and pillion were wearing helmets, and immediately stood up with minor scratches. The Jetta driver though did not wait, he turned around and went for some distance, then parked on the left, and was looking from a distance. It looked like when he saw all was OK, he decided it was best to move. What would you have done in this case? Stay and be beaten for no fault of yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I think the police should start registering such cases as culpable homicide not amounting to murder. This way at least the fear of law might invoke sensible driving habits.
Agreed, we need better enforcement of rules. A bit far fetched, but the use of speed cameras (like in the US and UK), might help avoid a majority of these incidents? Do we not have the technology or lack the will to make India a better place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
That lady got what she deserved. It's high time people need to learn how to cross roads and Highway is not your playground.
Disagree. How many of us give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing (even when there is a signal installed?). Crossing the road/highway is a necessity for some people, with no overbridges or subways in many places, and with manic drivers around, what are the pedestrians supposed to do?

Again a matter of enforcing rules related to pedestrian safety. Back in the UK they install cameras on some of these crossings as well, try to break one, and you would hear from them within a week. The violation would cost you maybe 10,000 INR (100£) and 3 points on your license. Get enough points on your license and you might find yourself back in driving school! Now thats a deterrent!
Old 28th September 2015, 13:54   #18738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@GTO More than the scorpio i think the Innova incident is something we need to look at. The difference between stock car bumbers and having bull bar. The girl will live and she already stood up. Even at that speed the front bumper and the way she gets thrown into the car makes it a life saver to me.

I am not sure if the bull bar would have had the same effect and may have actually thrown her out breaking her legs and hips.

Again this is my take.
No, it is not just your take, it is widely recognised by many. Bull bars are killers.

Who would walk through a jostling crowd holding a knife out in front of them? Somebody would get stabbed. This is exactly what people who fit bull bars to their cars are doing: walking with a knife out.

Please, people, realise this, and help the world to get rid of them: you are not even effectively protecting your vehicle, just being a potential menace to others.

Bull Bars Kill
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 14:43   #18739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
No news on the Ducati. The bike is history, though.
Anyone having more info on this?
Ducati is owned by a friend, he is fine apart from a sprained leg. There was a unmarked speedbreaker which he hit that ended up in him losing control of the bike and crashing.

The Daytona looks fine, wonder how the accident happened resulting the the rider's death.

There was another unfortunate incident yesterday where a BMW S1000RR (Or HP4 not sure) crashed and the rider passed away. I think the pictures make it very clear what happened. The rider has been known to do regular track days and wear full leathers while riding, unfortunately that also could not save him against the stupidity and absentmindedness of the fellow who decided to pull in front of him.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ar8p81ckvzcwktuuqj21aiomxniclre6dku9ky4rkf9e.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-agyjwadxdimlotwscva8dtrdsecpp9bo2tsa8qodvccf-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-angqy4ehlxi2xd_r0ixmxbdwzg9cugrgqoqm6u4jy1j.jpg

Edit: Yesterday, exactly 1 year ago I had crashed my Street Triple because of an oil slick on the road. Read: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...omes-home.html

Last edited by quickdraw : 28th September 2015 at 14:45.
quickdraw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 14:51   #18740
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, just a note based on the discussion from a couple of pages back.

It's absolutely fine to post pics of cars from workshops, service centers etc. as long as it's discussion worthy (the Ciaz certainly was).

If there's any objection to any pic, please report the post and we'll look into it.

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 16:23   #18741
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I think the pictures make it very clear what happened. The rider has been known to do regular track days and wear full leathers while riding, unfortunately that also could not save him against the stupidity and absentmindedness of the fellow who decided to pull in front of him.
Was the damage to the car caused due to the biker crahsing into it? If yes, then that is one horrible crash and the biker must have been really doing crazy speeds to have caused that much damage to the car. I feel that is a sure shot way of inviting death, no matter what kind of ironman suit you might be wearing. There cannot be any excuse for that kind of damage other than flouting the speed limit and that too with quite a margin.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 16:43   #18742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Apparently, this happened today morning at a popular biking spot near Pune.

Daytona owner is dead. RIP.
Some more details on the accident from a group of bikers who were with him.

Apparently, the guy was a decorated pilot with Jet airways.

http://aviation-business-gazette.com...i-Mumbai-.html

Quote:
FAA recognizes Anosh Minoo Ghadiali Mumbai-based pilot sets positive example

By STAFF REPORTS
He must have had gears worth Rs. 2 lac or more on him (Sidi boots, riding jackets, Shoei helmet etc.) while riding. But that was not good enough to protect him.

As a newbie, trying to keep up with seasoned riders on Kawasaki ZX-14R and Honda Fireblade on the straight tarmac (on NH8 between Mumbai & Charoti) did him in. Some other bikers on the same road who got overtaken by this group in a jiffy believe that they were easily doing speeds north of 200 kmph.

May the poor soul RIP! :(
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-812722976_56798.jpg  

Gotham_City is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 17:31   #18743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
He must have had gears worth Rs. 2 lac or more on him (Sidi boots, riding jackets, Shoei helmet etc.) while riding. But that was not good enough to protect him.
Thanks for the info, bud.

In my opinion, both him and his 'seasoned' biker friends are at fault.

Doing speeds more than 2 cents on a National Highway, what were they thinking? Didn't the higher capacity motorcycles realise that there are guys in the group who will have extreme trouble catching up and perhaps we should all maintain a similar speed?

Sure, buy all the expensive gear man can afford, but if a person's skull is so thick that they have zero sense of responsibility, judgement and timing, not even the most expensive helmet in the world will give them a second chance at life.

RIP, the departed.
Hopefully this incident serves as an example to many out there who have absolutely no respect for what lies beneath the saddle.
barcalad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 17:41   #18744
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
There was another unfortunate incident yesterday where a BMW S1000RR (Or HP4 not sure) crashed and the rider passed away. I think the pictures make it very clear what happened. The rider has been known to do regular track days and wear full leathers while riding, unfortunately that also could not save him against the stupidity and absentmindedness of the fellow who decided to pull in front of him.
What i heard (rather seen on whatsapp group) was totally different, and image showed the rider without any gear lying on road bleeding. Anyways may his soul RIP.

Gives me creeps seeing and hearing all this, but reminds me again and again to enjoy the ride and not the speed. Wish i had more money to buy a adventure tourer also.
Old 28th September 2015, 19:45   #18745
Senior - BHPian

Why cant people just rent a track day (if you can afford a Zx-14 or BMWS1000RR in India) and play it safe in a more controlled environment.

The more and more i see and hear of all these incidents the more and more i am getting disinterested in buying a fast bike.

In fact the more i see this i feel even the KTM 390 is an overkill for Indian roads.

And having over 2L worth of gear does not matter when the road sense is zilch. RIP.
VW2010 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 19:55   #18746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Why cant people just rent a track day (if you can afford a Zx-14 or BMWS1000RR in India) and play it safe in a more controlled environment.

The more and more i see and hear of all these incidents the more and more i am getting disinterested in buying a fast bike.

In fact the more i see this i feel even the KTM 390 is an overkill for Indian roads.

And having over 2L worth of gear does not matter when the road sense is zilch. RIP.
I kind of Agree, but at times, its just not your day!!!!
My friend recently got a ZX-10R, and the only time he rode on road was during run in period,
apart from short uphill rides occasionally. He transports it to the track in his Nissan Evalia, safe from elements on road.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 28th September 2015 at 19:56.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 20:01   #18747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I kind of Agree, but at times, its just not your day!!!!
True that. Its like getting a stray bullet on your chest while drinking coffee at a starbucks.

In the above cases, the mention of over 200kmph on any roads including the autobahn is plain suicidal irrespective of the equipment you wear.

Even in track there are specific skill that is required to slide the bike off. This is taught, trained and learned over a period.

The stoner crash just few weeks back, he clearly said losing control and was over speeding at that point and wanted to slide the bike off which he did perfectly.Unfortunately he had to encounter a barrier at right angles.

Not only the environment, the technique to fall is so critical. I am no expert in track riding, but for sure i can say i have some common sense on what to do on the roads and what not to. I definitely would hate to speed but rather enjoy the twisties and that too in the night where you know there is something coming your way.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 20:29   #18748
Senior - BHPian

I think people are mixing up stories here. I believe that rider of the BMW was a very responsible chap who used to do track-days frequently as-well. I think it's very wrong to assume he was riding dangerously Its quite evident that the santro pulled in front of him. I've had this happen to me before and trust me there is nothing you can do. There have been many articles on how to stand up and cause your body to fly off the bike, but doubt many people remember it when something like this is actually happening. Also I doubt someone riding a bike like the S1000RR would voluntarily put themselves in harms way by riding over the safety limit on public roads. A funny story my friend told me when I was riding with him in USA. It is cheaper to insure a $20000 BMW than a $10000 GSXR.

The Daytona crash although seems to be a classic example of what happens on group rides. Newbie tries to show off and crashes. I've had this happen to me when an idiot on a Pulsar 220 pushed me off the road at Mutha ghats because he was trying to show off his cornering skills. I was riding a Gixxer 600.
quickdraw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 22:03   #18749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Here are photos of a Swift ZXi that apparently rear ended a stationary truck on Sohna Road Gurgaon late last night.
Attachment 1420368
Attachment 1420369
Attachment 1420353
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
From the pictures, I guess the car is a relatively new vehicle (covers haven't been removed from the rear neckrests + new alloy design I think). This looks like it hit that truck in the rightmost lane and hit the divider together (after and due to the first impact) as there is no way it could jump over to this lane after hitting a truck with that speed.

How can a truck be stationary on that lane?

Any clue about the state of the occupants? The car looks badly damaged - torn roof, missing bumpers, engine bay, fenders and look at that dent caused (possibly) by the rear door (upper) edge on the roof!
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The car looks badly damaged also because most probably the doors and other sheet metal may have been cut open to extract any occupants.
I inquired about this accident at this location.

It was a head one collision with a heavy vehicle coming from the wrong side.

These days it is very common to see vehicles being driven on the wrong side in Gurgaon.
Old 29th September 2015, 01:03   #18750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
I inquired about this accident at this location.

It was a head one collision with a heavy vehicle coming from the wrong side.

These days it is very common to see vehicles being driven on the wrong side in Gurgaon.
Please share more details.

I'm really surprised about this description - would be the rarest of rare accidents in this case then.

This spot is ~100m before an intersection. In my nearly 3 years of living here with regular cycling as well, I have never seen a truck come the wrong way in the fast lane on THIS stretch - there is nothing for them, no dhaba / cut to turn off to , no U turn, nothing.

You do have the stupid auto driver and car / bike guys who come on the wrong side but on the left side - this kind of colossal stupidity is normally seen only around Kanpur on NH2 - never in these parts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks