Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2015, 12:46   #18781
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
People tend to jump to conclusions without knowing the whole picture. Few points.

1) The place where the Daytona crashed is notorious for crashes. Many seasoned and well known riders have crashed at the exact same spot, Busa, Fireblade and Daytona in the last few weeks and many crash every season. This is the location ( 19 49 13.01 N 72 56 31.40 E ) and people who have ridden on this road say its due to bad engineering. The daytona guy although was wearing full gear had a fall from the bridge from quite a height which seems to be cause of his demise.

2) The S1000RR crash from Hyd, rider was wearing no gear, shorts, tshirt and chappal. ( as seen in the post crash pictures ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
More than Bad engineering its simply arrogance to race a bike in common road and not sticking to speed limits.I agree if the road caved in and the daytona crashed because of that and thats bad engineering. Agreed to points that including having specific warning signs, boards and enough preventive measures. As riders taking this route frequenty, they can get together to set up these boards and signs if they really want to help each other out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If there is a well known badly engineered spot, I would be very cautious around it, just like I would if there is a signboard advising of an accident spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
So what was the legal speed on that road and what was the biker doing?
So a badly engineered road is no place to show off track skills. In a lot of our highways especially where a road curves they would have put up speed limit boards. My personal experience is that that speed limit has a 30% tolerance level at which you can take that curve. Beyond that you will have to brake sharply and do a lot of steering adjustment to go through.
0-100 in 4 secs is phenomenal. Guys need to be aware that these bikes are truly not made for our conditions and traffic. The safe way to ride these bikes is to enjoy the initial power and not aim for top speed performance and set speed records. You can just get a high by going through from say 20-80kmh in 3/4 secs and then slowing down.
I used to be a Biker earlier (and still long to be one). The one thing that people forget is 'straight line' riding and 'riding the curve' are two entirely different things. The physics of both are very different. In straight line riding you have forces acting (typically) in the same direction (other than while braking hard where fishtailing is common) whereas on a curve there are multiple forces to contend with.
How many of these riders know 'turning against the curve' while shifting the load is the best way to take a quick curve?

I agree to the points raised here - it is not about the road engineering - it is first important for people to learn the basics on something like a R15 or P200/220 before exploring the bigger blocks. A throttle input at the apex of a curve can easily lead to a slide if throttle input exceeds the traction available at that point.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 11:27   #18782
Senior - BHPian

Indian roads are extremely badly surfaced, not levelled properly and usually have dirt/dust on it which is deadly for traction. I never try to lean and plan well in advance for braking. Don't know if ill have traction to brake when I need to. The problem is not just the speed its the momentum that these bikes have even at 80-100 because of the ferocious acceleration.
Old 2nd October 2015, 15:51   #18783
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that there are certain engineering mistakes, like reversed camber, for instance, that are dangerous to all vehicles and cannot be easily seen. There should, at least, be warning signs. Maybe also, some road/junction/etc design is so stupid and unexpected that it is also impossible to predict.

Otherwise, awareness of the environment is the driver's responsibility.
Old 2nd October 2015, 23:20   #18784
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

since we are on road design - my 2 cents

one of the biggest mistakes i notice even on brand new 3+3 highways is the lack of drainage - standing water catches you by surprise, especially at night.
You can feel the car squirming and fishtailing like crazy (the wriggling which sets in before it becomes full aquaplaning, in case the tyres have no tread). Goes without saying what this would mean for bikes.

It still irritates the hell out of me to see many drivers completely unmindful of standing water and pressing pedal to metal (I noticed scores of such guys early morning today, powering ahead through standing water at 120/140 kph - I was in the middle lane doing 80 even though my tyres are <10k old)
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 23:38   #18785
Senior - BHPian

this was posted way back in 2014..same spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-charoti.jpg  

heavy_foot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 11:35   #18786
BHPian

A nasty accident took place at Samba near Jammu yesterday morning at 4/5 in the morning. The vehicle rammed into a stationary truck killing the driver and the co-passenger. Both of them were in the Army (a Colonel and a Major). One of the victims is known to me.

Had they put on seat belt? If not, could it have prevented loss of life? In case of co-passenger I think it would have. What is your take?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20151002wa0000.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20151002wa0002.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20151002wa0003.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20151002wa0004.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20151002wa0005.jpg  

Last edited by Piyadassi : 3rd October 2015 at 11:58. Reason: Added question
Old 3rd October 2015, 11:49   #18787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
A nasty accident took place at Samba near Jammu yesterday morning at 4/5 in the morning. The vehicle rammed into a stationary truck killing the driver and the co-passenger. Both of them were in the Army (a Colonel and a Major). One of the victims is known to me.
Aside from the goriness of the blood. look at that steering wheel.
Thats a human chest wrapping around it thats done it. Wow.....
Old 3rd October 2015, 12:09   #18788
BHPian

Quote:
Don't understand why it takes so much time to make a simple law of making a rear, side, front under run protection bar compulsory for all heavy vehicles which could save lives of many. I think so we the people at Team-bhp should start an agitation against this and try to make the government realize that small rules like these could improve the life of many.
In the photos it looks like both of them were not wearing a seat belt which could have saved their life. So it is important to realize that however big and strong the vehicle looks, it is unsafe in accidents if the occupants are not wearing seat-belts properly.
Old 3rd October 2015, 15:17   #18789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Thats a human chest wrapping around it thats done it. Wow.....
And the human chest would have come off worse than the steel
Old 3rd October 2015, 18:51   #18790
BHPian

Quote:

Had they put on seat belt? If not, could it have prevented loss of life? In case of co-passenger I think it would have. What is your take?
Sorry to hear about this accident. The Safari Storme in the photos shows it is an EX which has ABS. Having ABS could have helped steer away from the stationary truck but if the driver had dozed off or it was around a blind turn then not much would have helped. Sudden steering turns on a tall SUV like the Storme could have caused it to topple as well.

Seat-belt usage would definitely help in most cases but when you are getting crushed into a truck at speed, probably not much use. Sorry to see this accident.

Under run bars need to be made mandatory for all trucks/buses - wish this was enforced instead of frivolous sun film type rulings.

Last edited by sjcherian : 3rd October 2015 at 18:52. Reason: Noticed factual error.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 22:43   #18791
Senior - BHPian

One trailor full of cars fell in ditch sideways on Tumkur road and Nice road junction in Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1443892346910.jpg  

Last edited by anujmishra : 3rd October 2015 at 22:57.
anujmishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 10:29   #18792
BHPian

Got a whatsapp forward, bike accident in Delhi Yamuna Expressway - BMW s1000, Triumph 697 etc.
2 died on the spot. One in hospital.
Videos attached.

Old 5th October 2015, 10:42   #18793
BHPian

Caught this on my dash cam while traveling from Mandi to Delhi. A biker overtaking a truck on blind curve forces the Alto driver to ditch the car.

We stopped and helped the Alto driver. No one was hurt and Alto came out of ditch after burning some clutch.

Quick reaction of Alto driver saved the biker.
purohitanuj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 10:49   #18794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Got a whatsapp forward, bike accident in Delhi Yamuna Expressway - BMW s1000, Triumph 697 etc.
2 died on the spot. One in hospital.
Videos attached.
These videos are from Malaysia and not from India.
These were posted in HVK Forum on Facebook couple of days back and there were news links posted about this accident in Malaysia.
Old 5th October 2015, 11:00   #18795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
These videos are from Malaysia and not from India.

Yes that happened in Malaysia.Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1444022906.613535.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks