Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2015, 23:43   #18826
SLK
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Caught on my dashcam this afternoon, at the crossing next to the Gymkhana Club / opposite the Air Force Station, New Delhi.

Watch the scooter to the left of the screen. Who do you think is at fault here - the scooterist or the driver of the Swift?
If I can see this clearly (BTW I do cross this place very regularly), I think the swift already missed the dedicated left cut, and then turned left at the crossing, which is only for going straight. Why are we even debating this? There was no left, the swift had an after thought.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 23:46   #18827
BHPian

Quote:
Caught on my dashcam this afternoon, at the crossing next to the Gymkhana Club / opposite the Air Force Station, New Delhi.

Watch the scooter to the left of the screen. Who do you think is at fault here - the scooterist or the driver of the Swift?

Swift and the government. Swift for missing his free left turn . Maybe he flashed his indicators, but he yanked the car out of its lane, without checking his mirrors and blind spots. He could've taken the next u-turn or gently turned left. One is not supposed to turn left at the crossroad, where a free and dedicated free left lane is provided. Or maybe he's following a navigation device.

The government for not having a standard design or blueprint for road infrastructure. It's very common in Bangalore - at the lights, there are 6-7 lanes of cars, all trying to squeeze into 2 lanes right after the signal.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th October 2015 at 09:48. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 00:36   #18828
Distinguished - BHPian

The scooter rider is 100% to blame --- but also, in this imperfect world, we have to check for idiots doing just that, because it may be wrong, but it is normal.
Old 6th October 2015, 01:14   #18829
BHPian

The swift moron first missed his free left turn probably coz he is unfamiliar with the route or on phone or something, which may explain his next move as he decides to turn left suddenly at the red light. The dude is not even in the left lane for the turn. Must have got an earful from the scooter guy.
Old 6th October 2015, 01:17   #18830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Riding a scooter myself, I always make sure I can see the drivers face in the OVRMs of cars ahead of me. If I can't I simply back off.

Also the scooterist is too close and has not kept a sufficient gap. Totally his fault.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th October 2015 at 09:48. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 01:40   #18831
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/4x-CnKwjQJY

Looks like the Swift's fault and not the bikers. Why? Because there's no left turn there. He missed the left the Indigo took and then tried to take a sharp left which is actually from where oncoming traffic turns into.

Maybe the scooter guy did not expect any vehicle to take the left as there was no left there and the swift guy turned very sharply even with indicator.

I would lay 80% blame with the Swift and 20% with the scooter for not anticipating the Swift.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 09:31   #18832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The scooter rider is 100% to blame --- but also, in this imperfect world, we have to check for idiots doing just that, because it may be wrong, but it is normal.
I guess both are to be blamed, more the car guy.
What is WRONG and normally normal on Indian roads is forgetting to switch off the indicators. I see umpteen number of vehicles on Bangalore roads where the indicator is ON and there is no possible turn in vicinity. That indicator is only indicating the last turn that he took. So, the biker might have considered it so.

CAR guy is at fault for taking an non-allowed turn, for not checking before taking the plunge [no ORVM].

Bike guy did the normally normal wrong action of trying to overtake from left.
So, I will go with 80-20 for car-bike here.
Old 6th October 2015, 09:37   #18833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post

CAR guy is at fault for taking an non-allowed turn, for not checking before taking the plunge [no ORVM].
Actually, there's no such non-allowed status at that turn. If you miss the previous off, and take a left from the crossing,no cop will stop you. And there are quite a few cops around at most times at this point owing to the proximity to the quiet house.
Right IS forbidden, but you'll spot enough monkeys during a drive waiting at the light with their right blinker on. They are stopped in plenty, as well as people who head straight, and take a U turn on the road to complete a right.
The turn by the swift guy was stupid, and logically wrong, but I am not sure he would be pulled up for it.
Old 6th October 2015, 11:24   #18834
BHPian

Quote:

I'd say it's the mix of swift's missing the turn and the biker's hurry that lead to Scuffle. Though the Car missed the turn , I don't think it to be reasonable enough for that biker to zoom past the car as it seems clear that the car was turning left .

The biker, I guess, thought that the car will stop/slow down for him to pass and ergo, dashed into the car but it is evident that swift was engaged in a left-turning maneuver.

Though the Car was making a mistake by attempting to turn left, the biker, with his haste, completed the process of accident .

Last edited by poised2drive : 6th October 2015 at 11:36.
Old 6th October 2015, 11:44   #18835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO the biker is at fault here, as the Swift guy has the indicator ON and he is clearly indicating he is going to turn left. He might have missed the dedicated left turn but that doesn't mean he can't turn left at all when there is provision. I agree he should have had the side ORVM opened up and slowed down a bit to see what's coming before he makes that turn, but the biker was way behind the car and he should have seen the indicator. The problem with these bikers is, they tend to see ahead of the road or sometimes to there left or right instead of seeing the vehicles ahead of them and assuming they will not do any quick maneuvers.

Also I literally hate few bikers who have their RVM's removed and turn back everytime to look behind them and sometimes just turn at their will without knowing what's behind them. Also I have seen bikers who go at a slow pace on the right side of the road or center of the road
Old 6th October 2015, 12:16   #18836
Senior - BHPian

The Swift guy does not seem to have seen through his left rear view mirror if anyone is coming on not from the left side before taking the turn. Its a known practice in India to watch your rear view mirrors before making any kind of directional change even if its your right to turn, the road it empty or you are the only citizen left in the country.

Also the Swift turned quite violently, caught the biker off guard even thought the Swift guy indicated. Looks more of the Swift's fault but the biker is guilty too according to me.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 13:01   #18837
BHPian

I'm not taking sides here but ,in general the bikers are always notorious for this. They over take you from the left when you're negotiating a turn. The gap we usually leave is for us to turn safely without hitting the pavement , these guys squeeze through and force us to brake hard & move to the right lane and make us look like 'bad drivers'.
The worst part? They pick up fights if you give a blaring honk or if you don't give way.
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 13:08   #18838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post

@Purohitanuj - Did you happen to notice how fast the Alto driver was doing on these twisty turny sections?

Dashcams are amazing tools, I really should get one
IIRC, we were doing 40-45 KMPH. I tend to follow someone(sane) in hills and maintain a constant safe distance.
I agree that the drive was constantly serving on the right lanes to seek overtaking opportunity; but during this specific event, the driver was not at fault.
Also I did not disclose the gender of the driver all this time, but still few of us have assumed it to be "he". In reality, the driver was a female.(please no bashing due to gender).

I also think that the hilly people are conditioned to drive like this as almost all drives were driving much more insanely.
This car was one of the "safest" and "sane" one, and thus I was following this car; but with my margin of error.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 13:18   #18839
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes i agree it is scooters fault, he was breaking both lane discipline and overtaking rules. Plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Looks like the Swift's fault and not the bikers. Why? Because there's no left turn there. He missed the left the Indigo took and then tried to take a sharp left which is actually from where oncoming traffic turns into.
That is secondary, if the scooterist was following the rules, even the swift breaking the rule would not have caused this accident.

I ride bike and i know it is plain dangerous to take on traffic from left. Higher the speed higher the risk, it is better to tail than to peek in on the left. Blind spots will hamper ORVM use in such scenarios, just not worth it!
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 14:25   #18840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
... Looks more of the Swift's fault but the biker is guilty too according to me.
I blame this one on the Swift.
This kind of 'missing the dedicated left turn' that branches out well before the actual intersection has happened to me a few times. What I have always done is to come to a complete stop in whatever lane I am in, have my left indicators flashing and keep looking into the left ORVM to see when I can safely make the left turn at the intersection.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed