Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2015, 09:32   #18961
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A tragic accident near Soro in balasore district (Odisha).
A couple died and their 13 year old son is in hospital.
The family was travelling from KOLKATA to PONDICHERRY for vacation.
The accident happened at 7 AM morning. They took night halt at Balasore in the previous night and started for their next trip in the morning.
here is the pics and news cut from the newspaper. The news is in odiya language.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident_1.jpg

Car number is WB-06 J 7494

Last edited by KALINGA : 19th October 2015 at 09:34.
KALINGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 10:23   #18962
Senior - BHPian

Read this on the KeSRTC blog today.

Quote:
A Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) bus hit an electric post and caught fire on the busy Mavoor Road here on Friday afternoon.

The vehicle knocked down three bikes before hitting the electric post and crashing into a wall in front of a shopping complex. Six persons were injured in the accident that occurred around 3.15 p.m. The condition of one of them, who is in an unconscious state and yet to be identified, is reported to be serious, the police said.
Source : http://www.ksrtcblog.com/news/six-in...ocks-them-down
Old 19th October 2015, 12:33   #18963
Senior - BHPian

on my way to the meet point for a breakfast ride yesterday early morning, saw a bike accident on the Benniganahalli flyover (that joins KR Puram). there was a crowd gathered and was causing a traffic pile up. people were already helping the person as i approached the spot. i saw a glimpse of the rider sitting on the side walk and that made me stop. he was wearing an Alpinestars riding jacket - one of the riders in our group wears a similar jacket! curiosity turned into worry; i parked my Ninja on the side and put on the hazard lights and approached the fella. i was relieved to find that he was not the guy from our group (who i was supposed to meet in the next 5mins). nevertheless, i thought i'll see if i could offer any assistance or help of any kind.

a woman had taken the phone for the guy and dial the number he had shown her and asked the other person on the line to reach the spot immediately as there has been an accident - i believe it was someone from their riding group, the Gold Town Bikers. then one of the guys from their group showed up and asked people to help him move the rider to the hospital. after looking around for 10mins, they got an auto, got the rider in and drove to the hospital (i guess).

now, to describe the scene - here's how i saw it: the rider was sitting on the sidewalk clutching his right leg, which seemed to be bleeding. at first i thought it was a cloth wrapped around his leg, but no - it was his jeans soaked in blood from below the knee. from the way hie right leg was articulating i could figure out that his leg was broken at the shin. the bleeding might have been caused by a bone protruding through the skin and a fractured vein. the guy was in pain (obviously) and was pulling and pressing his legs. i told him not to move around or bend his legs as that additional pressure will result in more blood loss. there was blood on the road. once the rider was taken in an auto i mounted my bike and was moving out when i saw the rider's bike - a blue Yamaha R1. it was lying on its side and parts of it were broken and kept nearby (windshield, bits of faring etc.).

it would seem that the rider was getting on to the flyover at high speed and on the left hander (yes, the flyover curves to the left towards KR Puram) he either lost control of the bike or was taken by surprise by another vehicle that maybe moved into his path and lost control. in the process he might have landed on the divider, with his leg between the bike and the divider - causing the fracture.

what was sad and disappointing at the same time was that the only protective gear the rider was wearing was his helmet (i guess because otherwise there would have been head injuries) and his jacket - no knee guards, no riding boots; he was wearing sneakers

hope he's learnt his lesson on both ATGATT and also riding safe. i for one am going to wear my boots and knee guards even when i'm riding to office. gotta have 'em legs to be able to ride (or drive).

i had my GoPro mounted on my chest, but i felt it was inappropriate to take a video at the scene. as i was moving out, i partially got a grab of the accident site. in the below picture, the R1 is lying on the ground just across the auto on my left (you can see those two guys looking at it).

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-r1_accident.jpg

Last edited by IronH4WK : 19th October 2015 at 12:38.
IronH4WK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 13:19   #18964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising_rapid;
I prayed to God and could murmur only one sentence "Please, not before hospital."

We drove them to Max hospital and both of them were admitted in the ICU. By evening the man was put on the ventilator. He passed away around 2300 Hrs. His son had suffered fracture in his rib cage but was saved by the doctors.

Life went on for all of us, but I still feel that this was an exemplification of justice denied to a poor family. For 30-35 minutes, he was declining, loosing breath in my car.God bless his soul.
Thank you for taking them to hospital, Atleast they got chance which is denied to most of accident victims( in India) . If he is your colleague then may be you can infrom HR ( in your company) . They might just make an example of him.
Kool_Kid is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 15:57   #18965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
...Gold Town Bikers...
H4WK, I googled for this group & T-BHP, got this link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3795729

Seems more like an all-show type of 'bikerz', gauging from their FB photos. Hope this guy and his fellow 'riderz' give a thought about proper riding gear before setting out on their next 'epic ride'
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 18:09   #18966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
H4WK, I googled for this group & T-BHP, got this link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3795729
Man, that's some memory you've got. In fact, apart from today's post, the earlier post that you've linked to was also contributed by IronH4WK himself!
Old 19th October 2015, 19:38   #18967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I am surprised that everybody is questioning "cruising_rapid" for the authenticity of his posts!

I am honestly surprised to see him being grilled on the below -
  • How was the car cleaned when it had blood stains? Seriously! Do you think that the law and order in India is so perfect that a local car wash guy will ask for a FIR before cleaning a car with blood stains?
  • There is no such hospital! Agreed, "cruising_rapid" made a mistake in the name of the hospital. Does that really make the whole post unbelievable?
  • Person drives a 60,000 INR car... how can he afford the bribe? What are we expecting here... the driver's bank statement?
I do not understand why "cruising_rapid" would take the effort to compile such a "fake" story! What does he gain/benefit with this?

Cross your hearts and tell me, how many of you will stop and help an accident victim?

You either believe a post or you don't, but please do not insult somebody by asking them for proofs and evidences.
That is exactly my point. I was equally surprised at the moral policing and preaching. Trust me, whenever any one of us will stop to help an accident victim, taking photographs may not even flash in our minds. Its a race against time.

Raj, I am thankful to you for emphasizing on other side of the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Not against anyone, but I wonder what purpose did Cruising Rapid achieve by posting this incident, was it that he is feeling lighter now, or that's all what he could do without harming anybody including himself, or to reassure all of us that how the system actually works which we already are well aware of. I politely request him to answer this.

P.S.: raj_5004, completely agree with your post.
Honestly speaking, I did not post it with any specific purpose in mind. The lessons learnt from this are nothing new to any one of us. Writing in too much of detail has apparently made it appear like a comic story; albeit, to some and not all. I partially feel that it's posted in an irrelevant forum as pointed out, nevertheless the lessons learnt and the aftermath do belong here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binish View Post
I guess "cruising_rapid" just wrote it in a flow as may be his writing style may be similar to those special evening "masala" newspapers style.

So I guess we should park his story and stop criticizing him.
I am certainly not taking it as a sarcasm. In fact, I hope that the flair remains integrated and gets reflected in my travelogue of driving from Jamshedpur - Dharamsala - Hyderabad and back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
Thank you for taking them to hospital, Atleast they got chance which is denied to most of accident victims( in India) . If he is your colleague then may be you can infrom HR ( in your company) . They might just make an example of him.
I earnestly thank you for being supportive on it.
We both work separately and his employer already knows about this accident.

Last edited by cruising_rapid : 19th October 2015 at 19:43.
cruising_rapid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 20:05   #18968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
cruising_rapid
You were part of the group that was involved in this accident. And the reason some of us including me are disappointed is with the fact that the car driver is now free and IMHO should be serving jail time for killing somebody.

If that poor man who got killed is one of our relative, our son, our father or someone related to us, let’s say related to yourself. Will your reaction be the same?

Will I or those questioning your intention do anything different. Probably yes, probably not. But since you posted the entire story, the frustration from many of the readers to see the rash driver going punishment free makes it feel like they don’t believe you.

We are simply upset that as a witness to this incident and being part of the group you could have changed the outcome.

Don’t get us wrong that we are taking it on you, We just believe a group of 14 could have taken the right decision to bring that culprit face the justice. He may live happily with no guilt of killing somebody. Personally i cannot. I rather face the justice or kill myself if i am the reason for someone’s death because of my unreasonable action and irresponsible driving.

Again - We are not saying we would have done anything different. Try to understand that we are just sharing the frustration based on your story that your entire group could have played the true human role to bring the culprit to justice. Your story clearly explained how bad and rash the driver was from the beginning. It was not an accident to us, it was a murder to us and we reacted.

Like someone said that

Quote:
You either believe a post or you don't, but please do not insult somebody by asking them for proofs and evidences.
We believe the incident did happen. We also on the corner of our heart feel for the victim and the way the driver escaped unpunished. No wonder Salman is running free in this utterly irresponsible country to bring people to justice.

Last edited by VW2010 : 19th October 2015 at 20:12.
Old 19th October 2015, 20:51   #18969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
You were part of the group that was involved in this accident.

No wonder Salman is running free in this utterly irresponsible country to bring people to justice.
It was one man driving the ill fated car who was actually involved in this accident, rest 13 were unfortunate to be in that group. The co-driver of the Lancer was questioned by police, he spoke the truth, was given repeated shut-up calls, was advised to alter his statement and was told that he would keep coming to Baroda for next 10 years or so. Police didn't question any one of us after that.

14 of us could have certainly made a difference, but not when the matter is settled between the driver and the survivors with police being the mediator. For each individual, it's a personal choice if he desires to force police to do it's job and gets entangled with them even when it's closed from survivor's side. It is sad, very sad.
cruising_rapid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 21:47   #18970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

.. There's a middle line. Sometimes the mods have to point us back to it.
Better still I would expect that the mods would simply change the title of this thread to something that reflects the reality and the raison d'etre for its existence.
It does seem, to me, that the title is what is deficient here because it only encourages what Team-BHP hands out infractions for - posts/PICS that 'add no value' to the thread!
Value can only be added if a rational/relevant discussion is permitted, to ensure there are lessons learnt, just as you have earlier pointed out.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 21:49   #18971
BHPian

Quote:
If that poor man who got killed is one of our relative, our son, our father or someone related to us, let’s say related to yourself. Will your reaction be the same?
It has been pointed out that the person who got killed did not have a DL. My question is what would have been his accountability if he was alive. IMHO the very fact that he is riding the bike without a DL is breaking every law in the book. What is the law on this, when someone gets injured or killed riding or driving without a valid DL?
Old 19th October 2015, 22:10   #18972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If we could be totally honest, then yes, the reaction ought to be the same.
If NOT, I must confess that I am a biased/affected party and that my personal views might not reflect the correct stance as per the law of the land.
This is where many of us fail.
Old 19th October 2015, 22:15   #18973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It has been pointed out that the person who got killed did not have a DL. My question is what would have been his accountability if he was alive. IMHO the very fact that he is riding the bike without a DL is breaking every law in the book. What is the law on this, when someone gets injured or killed riding or driving without a valid DL?
Driving without a DL has a fine and a max of 3 month imprisonment based on the case. Its not death for sure.

Apologize if i am reading it wrong, but it almost appears that its ok to kill someone if they dont have a license. With or without license, driving rash and taking a life out is wrong. And as with any legal proceeding if there are enough eyewitness to prove that indeed the driver was driving rash and irresponsibly the case will be registered accordingly.

Legal person in this forum can provide more guidance. But in this case there is clear evidence even by the story the driver of the car was not only irresponsible but also driving rash.

And the person driving without a DL is breaking a law that states that you cannot drive without a DL.(Not every Law in the book).

All these based on the story narrated here. Not based on the actual incident itself.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 22:32   #18974
Senior - BHPian

I must say that why you didn't bother to write each and every facet of the case in its entirety in your first post itself while the first post itself was very long.

I have read many posts on T-BHP where slightly questioned, the OP starts bringing out facts which start presenting slightly different picture post after post and after few round of posts the picture gets entirely different.

I request 'for god's sake' to kindly write a balanced post so as to bring the entire picture otherwise I fully agree with the post equating your writing with 'late evening newspapers or better still with never-ending soap operas'.

Leave aside the court of law, isn't the ends of justice are met if police mediating and settling the matter. How police does it is a matter of discussion for another day, another thread.

While starting with 'poor family denied justice', we at least have 'some compensation agreed by the survivor', which makes us feel better than what we felt after reading it for the first time OP.

What has passed in between is heartburn amongst the BHPians, feeling of frustration and numerous posts which were irrelevant to this thread in first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising_rapid View Post
14 of us could have certainly made a difference, but not when the matter is settled between the driver and the survivors with police being the mediator. For each individual, it's a personal choice if he desires to force police to do it's job and gets entangled with them even when it's closed from survivor's side. It is sad, very sad.
Old 19th October 2015, 22:34   #18975
Senior - BHPian

It is violation of law to drive / ride without a license, but the fact that the dead person did so does not exempt the other driver with a valid license of all blame. It would still be looked in to, about who was driving rashly or irresponsibly.

The person without a license could be anybody - a curious teenager might have brought out an elder's bike without their knowledge or permission; or the driver might be someone whose license had expired recently and not yet renewed. (I believe there is a grace time allowed for the renewal). That fact does not, need not and should not mean the other guy can walk free.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed