Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2015, 20:21   #19021
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Below is the link to the news article regarding the accident happened near Kalpakkam yesterday morning, wherein 4 Engg. college students have lost their lives. It is said in other reports that the car broken up into two and the persons sitting in the rear seat were thrown off after it rammed the parapet wall of a bridge. The Times of India states that the driver and the front seat passenger were saved by the Airbags, although they have suffered severe injuries.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle7831346.ece
Very sad to know teenagers driving bigger cars at speeds and cannot control the car during panic situations. By the way newspaper has mentioned it as Swift, whereas it is a Ertiga. Let their souls rest in peace and other youngsters learn a lesson in future.
Old 2nd November 2015, 23:49   #19022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
teenagers driving bigger cars at speeds and cannot control the car during panic situations.
Experience counts, but there is always something waiting for us around some corner that we will not know how to handle.

If there is a difference between youth and elders, it is that elders know that --- or, at least, try to remember it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 04:44   #19023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Experience counts, but there is always something waiting for us around some corner that we will not know how to handle.

If there is a difference between youth and elders, it is that elders know that --- or, at least, try to remember it.

I beg to differ here, im 23 years old, call myself young. But that doesnt mean i drive recklessly. I can proudly say that i never indulge in rash driving, neither support it. I havent seen any accidents live yet, but i still know and understand, it may happen anytime with anyone, and i very well know the concequences. So, although young, i preach for safe driving anytime.
Rohitj92 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 06:12   #19024
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3780.jpg
I witnessed this accident when a Scorpio driver rammed into a bus at a toll booth. I was on the way to Sakleshpur on my bike. I slowed down at the toll booth to take the last lane meant for bikes when I heard a loud noise and people screaming! Immediately parked my bike and went to help. Luckily the toll booth had an ambulance parked right there. People helped the driver out and put him in the ambulance. Nobody in the bus suffered any injury by god's grace. As luck would have it, I continued my journey, a little shattered obviously, to witness another more gruesome accident. An Alto with three occupants came under a truck. I couldn't take a picture of that horrible sight since all of us got busy calling the ambulance and the police. The roof of the Alto was completely torn!
Drive safe everyone! Especially at night. Most of these trucks don't have their tail lights functioning which was the cause of the accident of the Alto occupants.
saishivaj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 08:00   #19025
Senior - BHPian

Saw this ZoomCar Scoprio in a bad shape.
Looks like the car toppled. The roof has caved in and it has significant damage to the front left.

Excuse the poor quality, it's a screen grab from my dash cam video.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vlcsnap2015110307h46m14s337.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vlcsnap2015110307h46m25s909.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vlcsnap2015110307h46m41s767.png  

speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:31   #19026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saishivaj View Post
Attachment 1434867
I witnessed this accident when a Scorpio driver rammed into a bus at a toll booth.
The bus, I assume, had slowed down and was prepared to stop to pay toll? Or had already lined up and stopped?
Toll booths are well signposted, have a speed breaker about 300-500m before it, and are brightly lit. The Scorpio driver was at fault here very clearly.

How badly was the driver injured? Looking at the picture, if the driver was wearing a seat belt, then I wouldn't expect any injury more serious than a few cuts/bruises.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:57   #19027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
The bus, I assume, had slowed down and was prepared to stop to pay toll? Or had already lined up and stopped?
Toll booths are well signposted, have a speed breaker about 300-500m before it, and are brightly lit. The Scorpio driver was at fault here very clearly.

How badly was the driver injured? Looking at the picture, if the driver was wearing a seat belt, then I wouldn't expect any injury more serious than a few cuts/bruises.
The bus was in a queue to pay the toll as you mentioned. And yes, the toll booth was well lit. It happened at night but the booth was definitely well lit. An other car which came later on, behind the Scorpio was mentioning that the Scorpio driver was rash when he overtook them. The driver suffered big injuries from what I saw.
Old 3rd November 2015, 14:55   #19028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
I beg to differ here, im 23 years old, call myself young. But that doesnt mean i drive recklessly. I can proudly say that i never indulge in rash driving, neither support it. I havent seen any accidents live yet, but i still know and understand, it may happen anytime with anyone, and i very well know the concequences. So, although young, i preach for safe driving anytime.

That is probably one of the reasons that you are here on this site and also learning from this thread. I respect you, and all others who think the same.

I also think that 23 is not that young. I bet you must have seen quite a lot of changes in your life and attitudes in the five years since you were 18! Of course: we grow up. It should be a never-ending process: I'm still trying at 63!

Sadly, though, for many youngsters, youth is as dangerous as alcohol. Hope I may mention it on the forum in this context, because the symptoms and dangers can be very similar: enhanced confidence, but decreased actual skill. Or confidence in areas where it has not yet actually been learned
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:06   #19029
Senior - BHPian

Though your assumptions are right this time, but that is not the case always.
I was going from Delhi to Jaipur during Diwali around 3-4 years ago via cab and on the well lit toll booth a Haryana Roadways bus suddenly changed lanes in good speed and missed us by a whisker, that too after the speed breakers. All this was done to pay toll and move quickly.
I still get shivers while thinking about that incident.

Though we all know how the SUVs are driven in our country on roads (even though Scorpio is claimed to be a Car by M & M in its ads), the accidents at toll booths can certainly be avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:20   #19030
Distinguished - BHPian

Toll booths are crazy I tell you. I try not to change lanes some 300 meters from the toll booth EVEN if I see a faster moving or open booth away from my current lane of travel. People switch lanes like monkeys jumping across tree branches. Worst still, people reverse out from a lane to move to another.

Once I was waiting in a lane, was looking below to pick up change and bang. The moron in front had reversed into me without looking at his mirrors. He wanted to reverse and move to the next lane. Thankfully it was just a bent number plate.

For all the time saved and progress made by Indians in Toll Booths I'm puzzled why we haven't progressed as a country.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 19:03   #19031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Very sad to know teenagers driving bigger cars at speeds and cannot control the car during panic situations. By the way newspaper has mentioned it as Swift, whereas it is a Ertiga. Let their souls rest in peace and other youngsters learn a lesson in future.
The fact is east coast road is notorious for accidents courtesy the winding roads and 2 lane road. one has to be extremely cautious while driving on this stretch. Infact I would say NO to night driving on this stretch
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 19:26   #19032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saishivaj View Post
Attachment 1434867
I witnessed this accident when a Scorpio driver rammed into a bus at a toll booth.
Drive safe everyone! Especially at night. Most of these trucks don't have their tail lights functioning which was the cause of the accident of the Alto occupants.
Toll booths are easily one of the most dangerous spots on our NHs . Inspite of signposts warning you of an approaching toll booth , people still continue to speed and brake only at the last min just before the toll . I have seen many accidents right in front of me where someone would ram into the vehicle ahead of them just because they were drowsy or not paying attention( collecting change for the toll amount ) or because the driver ahead braked suddenly for the speedbreakers just before the toll booth entrance .

While approaching a toll booth , I always do the following :

1- Lift off the accelerator atleast 500 metres before the booth
2- Keep watching your mirrors for approaching vehicles and tap the brake pedal once in a while to indicate you are slowing down
3- I always keep atleast 1.5 car lengths of distance ahead of me even in a Q , this helps keep some buffer space to turn or move ahead in case of any speeding driver behind you
4- The lane which is straight on the road usually has vehicles entering quicker , so always take the middle ones
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 23:30   #19033
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a live accident on my return journey from Goa on Sunday (01 Nov). A Manza tried to overtake a bike on a right hand bend, halfway thru, he realizes he is in trouble; slams brakes, wheels locked, straight bang on the Santro (driver headlight to driver headlight).

The 4,guys in Manza had absolutely no harm, front passenger in Santro had two cuts on his face, the ladies at the back had hit their arms & legs, but no cuts.

I have added a related post here. Pics below.

Edit : The Manza driver was having a ball of a time messing with other vehicles for over 15-20 kms of drive we had him in sight. He has blocking a 525d for quite sometime from overtaking. While we overtook him, he tried to swerve his car to the right to block us. All in all, his nastiness paid off big time - he should be thanking his stars that the victim escaped with just two cuts on his face.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20151101_12_26_08_pro.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20151101_12_26_22_pro.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20151101_12_26_28_pro.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th November 2015 at 17:31. Reason: Typo corrected. :)
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 02:03   #19034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Saw a live accident on my return journey from Goa on Sunday (01 Nov). A Manza tried to overtake a bike on a right hand bend, halfway thru, he realizes he is in trouble; slams brakes, wheels locked, straight bang on the Santro (driver headlight to driver headlight).
This looks to be a clear case of terrible driving skills! Looking at the road in photos, I must say it was a very wide stretch of a road. Even if this was a case of overtaking on a a blind curve, there looks to be enough space for 3 cars.

The Indica went to an extreme right side of the road (or more correctly, wrong side!). I am wondering what could we do if we come across a situation like this (like Santro's driver). There is no other option than to get off the road towards left to give way to such a rash driver...
Old 4th November 2015, 09:15   #19035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Saw a live accident on my return journey from Goa on Sunday (01 Nov).

The 4,guys in Manza had absolutely no harm, front passenger in Santro had two cuts on his face, the ladies at the back had bit their arms & legs, but no cuts.
Did you miss any word in the last line? Why did the ladies bite their arms & legs?
FORTified is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks