Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2015, 19:54   #19051
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
One of the contributors along with haphazard lane indiscipline and overtaking without least assessment just because someone else did that ahead of you.
One thing folks should be careful of is driving sandwiched between two heavy vehicles or driving alongside a heavy vehicle for too long.

Overtake those trucks quickly because even if they burst a tyre one can be history.

Again, a whole lot of episodes would give you adequate reaction time only and only if you decided to make that time gap yourselves. If you tailgate like crazy then I wouldn't feel bad at all looking at such mess.

In fact a lot of times truckers are wrongly accused even if they were simply sticking to their lane just because a moron decides to get under its wheels.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 09:23   #19052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Read this on HVK Forum a while ago. Accident on Pune-Mumbai Expressway today involving multiple vehicles:
Related report from this accident in Mumbai Mirror says 2 were killed in this accident:
Quote:
2 KILLED AS TRUCK SMASHES INTO CARS ON EXPRESSWAY

Two people were killed and three injured when a truck smashed into several cars on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway on Tuesday. The incident took place on the lane for Mumbai-bound traffic near Khopoli toll naka at 5 pm.
More than 10 vehicles, including a tempo carrying fruits, were damaged in the crash.“The truck driver claims the brakes failed and he could not control the vehicle. Two people travelling in a tourist cab were killed in the accident,“ said inspector Jaysinh Tambe of the Khopoli police station. The injured have been admitted to a hospital in Panvel. *
SOURCE
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 21:23   #19053
BHPian

This accident took place at around 9.30PM on Saturday! 31st Oct, 2015 Got time only now to share it here.

Location: in Gurgaon on Gurgaon-Faridabad road, at crossing where "Sunset Boulevard" meets the highway.

Scene:

I started taking right turn when the lights turned green. Saw a car approaching from other side, but looked as if it was stopping. I accelerated normally to continue crossing the road but to my horror, the car, even after decelerating, cruised at 30-40kmph to hit me at left side of my Wagon R! My car literally spined 90 degrees by the impact. It seems like the driver (lady) didn't even tried to stop at red light.

I have a clip from my dashcam which I would share later on.

I was confident that its not my mistake and I have proof and witnesses around. Even DLF Security Personnel were present at the crossing.

But such was my luck that the driver drove off on highway when we were parking our cars at side. And none of us had noted down the number. :(

Even the number is not clear in the dashcam video, being night and the oncoming headlights.

It was a Silver grey wagon R. Though my car's door and side sill is required to be replaced completely, as far as I remember, her car's headlight didn't even have a crack. Just the bumper got damaged.

Result:
1. Had to book self rental car before sleeping as we had to go attend convocation in Patiala, the next day.

2. A holiday got wasted in taking the car to dealership, instead I was supposed to shift to new PG. No more holidays till diwali now!

3. And that's straight 10k from my pocket after insurance.

4. Though not physically hurt, but being attached to the car, as anyone here, it did broke my heart.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1446737387535.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1446737430710.jpg  

Ashir is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 23:53   #19054
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ashir you were lucky. Same road but slightly towards Gurgaon a friend's son lost his life two days back. Apparently he had stopped at red light while going home. A car coming at speed from opposite side lost control, because some moron decided to cut across red signal, flipped and landed on the drivers side. His colleague on passenger side was unhurt. Two guys in the car that lost control escaped with minor scratches.
Grief.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 12:54   #19055
Senior - BHPian

My friend Santhosh sent this pic of a crash that happened near his house in Mysore.
That is a brand new circle that the milk van has crashed into; recently opened after many, many months of wait.

Name:  ForumRunner_20151106_125114.png
Views: 5799
Size:  464.0 KB

Also, there are pics being shared on WhatsApp of a supposed currency van crash that happened somewhere between Mumbai and Nashik. Any truth in it?

Name:  ForumRunner_20151106_125320.png
Views: 5776
Size:  649.7 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20151106_125334.png
Views: 5795
Size:  709.2 KB
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 13:37   #19056
BHPian

I guess they are not minted coins. I mean, blank coins. So hardly of any use for common people.
n_naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 13:48   #19057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
My friend Santhosh sent this pic of a crash that happened near his house in Mysore.
That is a brand new circle that the milk van has crashed into; recently opened after many, many months of wait.
Is this Andolan Circle?
Old 6th November 2015, 13:51   #19058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post

Is this Andolan Circle?
Yep. Andolana circle, Mysore.
Old 6th November 2015, 15:24   #19059
Senior - BHPian

An entire family except a small boy was tragically wiped out in an accident near Nandikkara, on Ernakulam-Trichur highway in the wee hours of friday. 7 people including the head of the family, his wife, parents, younger daughter, and wife's sister along with the driver of the sumo lost their lives, while their 8 year old elder son survived.
The family was travelling from Kochi airport to Palakkad after receiving the head of the family coming from UAE. The driver probably lost control at a curve on the highway and the car plunged into a swamp.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nandikkara-acc.jpg
pic courtesy: Mathrubhumi.com

Feel so sorry for the little boy.
BHPians familiar with this area could probably throw some light on the state of the road, how sharp is the curve etc.
Old 6th November 2015, 17:41   #19060
Senior - BHPian

Got these pictures from a friend on Whatsapp.

According to the news this happened today morning at the yet to open toll plaza on the Mangalore - Udupi highway in front of NITK. The driver of the lorry seems to have misjudged the height and has pulled the entire roof of the toll plaza along with the vehicle. Anyone here from Mangalore to confirm this news?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20151106wa0002.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20151106wa0003.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20151106wa0004.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20151106wa0005.jpg
unk9ja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 17:45   #19061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
An entire family except a small boy was tragically wiped out in an accident near Nandikkara...
BHPians familiar with this area could probably throw some light on the state of the road, how sharp is the curve etc.
There are no sharp curves in that stretch as far as I can remember. Since it happened in the wee hours (newspaper reports mention 5 o'clock), it could be that the driver dozed off behind the wheel.

Feel sorry for the kid. May the departed souls RIP
Old 6th November 2015, 17:57   #19062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Got these pictures from a friend on Whatsapp.

According to the news this happened today morning at the yet to open toll plaza on the Mangalore - Udupi highway in front of NITK. The driver of the lorry seems to have misjudged the height and has pulled the entire roof of the toll plaza along with the vehicle.
I think it should be other way round, the designer and the approving authority misjudged the height of the lorries that would pass through this toll plaza. What did they save by low height canopy?
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 17:59   #19063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
There are no sharp curves in that stretch as far as I can remember.
Roads developed under the GQ/NS,EW Corridors don't have sharp curves typically. One of the Malayalam papers mentioned it is near a petrol pump, so I figured the location is somewhere here: https://goo.gl/maps/fAA79rq6oBv. The curves here are definitely not sharp, so the newspaper speculation that the driver dozed off (he's been on an all-nighter apparently) stands to reason.
Old 6th November 2015, 18:06   #19064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I think it should be other way round, the designer and the approving authority misjudged the height of the lorries that would pass through this toll plaza.
It is clearly a case of overloading by the truck as you can see. For legal oversized cargo, you have the open lane that it can pass through. This was a case where the driver did not realize what illegal overloading can do.
sbanerjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 18:11   #19065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
It is clearly a case of overloading by the truck as you can see. For legal oversized cargo, you have the open lane that it can pass through. This was a case where the driver did not realize what illegal overloading can do.
Absolutely. But isn't such overloading common in Indian roads? This truck would have passed many traffic policemen but it still was plying on the roads. At least the designers should have taken such incidents into account before putting up the physical structure.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed