Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2015, 23:46   #19081
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Sharing some pics of my cousin's Fiesta which was rear ended by a roller-compactor recently.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0947.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0948.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0949.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0950.jpg

Mods, kindly move to the appropriate thread if necessary.

Last edited by Turbo_Torq : 9th November 2015 at 23:49.
Turbo_Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 01:25   #19082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
Sharing some pics of my cousin's Fiesta which was rear ended by a roller-compactor recently.

Mods, kindly move to the appropriate thread if necessary.
Now thats a sad sight to see mate, Specially with that sticker pasted, It seems you need to change the bumper and the tail lamps, time to claim the insurance, All the best for getting your car back in shape
Old 10th November 2015, 14:01   #19083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sharing some pics of my cousin's Fiesta which was rear ended by a roller-compactor recentl.
Hmmmmmm very decent damage considering roller impactor hit!
😁
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 23:09   #19084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicalytuned View Post
When will the government make under-run protection bar mandatory on each and every heavy (high ground clearance) vehicle sold in India?
When will people stop driving into them?

(which is not to say there is anything wrong in what you say, there isn't, front and side bars are as basic as seat belts in a car. It's just that so many of the accidents here come under the heading of people just not seeing stuff, and hitting it)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
😁
I'm just amazed. I always thought that any collision with one of those things, especially being rear-ended by the front roller, would "roller-compact" half the car! Even a bike can do that much damage: I think you cousin was very lucky.
Old 11th November 2015, 07:41   #19085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Today afternoon, near Jakkur aerodrome , opp HP petrol pump, Bangalore. The bus brushed a swift, lost control and ended up here.
That Jakkur u-turn is a catastrophic accident zone and I see at least one incident a week there. People driving along the service road from the Judicial Layout subway casually swerve onto the main carriageway to turn towards the city while people already on the main carriageway actually speed up to avoid the u-turners.

I always slow down and drive very very carefully at this point.

Hope they open the Allasandra flyover quickly instead of waiting for some local goon to inaugurate it. Only some minor road work is left.
Old 11th November 2015, 08:47   #19086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
😁
Haha it is a Ford Fiesta afterall. That car packs some seriously thick panels like pig iron
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 15:52   #19087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Now thats a sad sight to see mate, Specially with that sticker pasted, It seems you need to change the bumper and the tail lamps, time to claim the insurance, All the best for getting your car back in shape
Quote:
��
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm just amazed. I always thought that any collision with one of those things, especially being rear-ended by the front roller, would "roller-compact" half the car! Even a bike can do that much damage: I think you cousin was very lucky.
Sorry for not outlining the entire story. The mishap took place in Mahabaleshwar when my uncle and his family sans my cousin had been there for a weekend trip. My uncle had parked the Fiesta outside a plant nursery to buy some saplings with the car just slightly over the road shoulder. No one was inside the vehicle when it happened; the roller-compactor misjudged the available space between the parked car and an oncoming bus and nudged the rear of the Fiesta. Even that slight nudge was enough to move the car about a feet or two and my uncle just chanced to see it lug forward. He immediately rushed out to see what happened and found that the itna-sa 'nudge' had totalled the tail lamp and the bumper. The driver of the heavy vehicle started to plead, defending himself by saying that the oncoming bus bullied him to veer off to the left thereby causing the accident. Turns out he was DUI and without a licence. My uncle met the driver's employer wherein the driver backfired by saying it was our fault. The employer/owner too was resistive initially but wisely reprimanded the driver's claims when he learnt that the moron had rear-ended a parked car. He agreed to compensate for the damages via online transfer - this was a first for us!

Initially, we thought of getting the job done at a FNG by getting the requisite parts(Bhavna Ford initially refused OTC spare sales!) but after much deliberation, decided to claim insurance since losing the no claim bonus would entail only a nominal increase in the premium. We returned the purchased spares from Wasan Ford and had her fixed at the same place. She is back in her original shape although the absence of a TBHP sticker makes her look....naked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Haha it is a Ford Fiesta afterall. That car packs some seriously thick panels like pig iron
Haha! I can't vouch if its pig iron but it feels much more solid and heavy compared to other cars in its segment. Its the second time she has been rear-ended; last time it was a tipper!

Last edited by Turbo_Torq : 11th November 2015 at 15:56.
Turbo_Torq is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 16:16   #19088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha! I can't vouch if its pig iron but it feels much more solid and heavy compared to other cars in its segment. Its the second time she has been rear-ended; last time it was a tipper!
Haha I was obviously exaggerating when I said pig iron just that yes, it is an older car that may not use steel of the same tensile strength one finds in todays cars, but there are panels on the Fiesta that are even thicker than cars like the Civic or Laura. I've been through far worse "incidents" in a Fiesta, that thing can certainly take a beating

Last edited by IshaanIan : 11th November 2015 at 16:21.
Old 12th November 2015, 01:58   #19089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Spotted this accident on the Madurai exit from Salem byepass.
=======
Regarding the truck, either it would have been parked or may be it was very slow.

Looks like a parked / breakdown truck without hazard warning lights in the night

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1447273501.476031.jpg

Attaching a similar pic of a slow moving truck without working tail lights on the Shiradi Ghat. It was drizzling and I spotted this at the last min even though speeds were around 20-30 kph

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 12:13. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 12th November 2015, 10:50   #19090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
I have done limited driving on high density, fast 2 lane National Highways but I could not help but notice that the situation is worst on NH17.
=======
I do wonder why this absurd behaviour of many of my fellow motorists on NH17.
I have not driven on this highway as much as others, I generally try and avoid it for all the mentioned reasons. However the terrain, geography and the general width and road conditions force motorists to take risks on this road. Since the road is narrow, at times maximum one and a half lanes , full of ghats, winding roads with hardly a few hundred meters of straight stretch and populated with slow moving traffic such as trucks and village vehicles, the long distance motorists generally floor it to overtake traffic on the straight stretch, this hurry is what causes accidents.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 12:13. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 12th November 2015, 21:25   #19091
BHPian

This Diwali I was going out to get a puncture repaired. The place is one km away from my home. Saw this accident. Pics speak for themselves.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3291.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3292.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3298.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3299.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3294.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3295.jpg

After the puncture was repaired, I decided to head out some more in the same direction as the road was empty. I wanted to enjoy some driving. After 1-2 km got to see another one. Almost similar in nature.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3302.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3304.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3306.jpg

According to me both are drunk driving cases. I10 seems to have rotated because of impact.
Metallicar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 12:20   #19092
BHPian

0This happened on 11th Nov. Two people who were in the XUV died. The person who drove died within an hour and the other by yesterday. The 40 yr old driver/owner was my father-in-law's neighbour. A 'illegally' parked truck was blamed by the newspaper.
As per my FIL, it was raining 10min before the accident. He also claims that the rear tyres were bald. What a waste of lives.
PIC-taken from malayala manorama.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p_20151112_181244_1_p_1.jpg  

Last edited by nijelj : 13th November 2015 at 12:22.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 09:37   #19093
Distinguished - BHPian

Sharing these from a Friend's wall. Happened today morning at 1am near Rasta Café, Mysore Road.

Villagers say it hit the median and toppled 7-8 times.

Apparently, Driver is dead while 3 passengers are badly injured.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1447560276675.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1447560299058.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1447560318521.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1447560336920.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1447560352420.jpg  

paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 09:45   #19094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Sharing these from a Friend's wall. Happened today morning at 1am near Rasta Café, Mysore Road.

Villagers say it hit the median and toppled 7-8 times.

Apparently, Driver is dead while 3 passengers are badly injured.
Looks as though the curve behind was taken at some high speeds and add to that the worn tires in the front. Must have over steered straight onto the divider. Just assuming.
Old 15th November 2015, 09:50   #19095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Looks as though the curve behind was taken at some high speeds and add to that the worn tires in the front. Must have over steered straight onto the divider. Just assuming.
I was eye-witness to this accident!

I & my friend decided to go on a leisure ride on Mysore road at midnight and come back before dawn. The accident took place between Bidadi & Ramnagara. We were waiting at a U-turn to go to the other side of the road (to reach CCD beside Rasta cafe). It was around 1-30 AM. While we were waiting at the U-turn cut, I noticed a rapidly progressing headlight coming from Bidadi side. The road has a very slight bend just in front of Rasta cafe. The car, a Verna, was speeding heavily in excess of 100 KMPH. The driver didn't notice the bend till the last moment and then panic braked. There was louud screeching noise from the tires. The car first hit the divider and then fish-tailed. Eventually toppled a few times before coming to rest. The crash happenned at such a high speed that bumper fell off ~100 ft before the car stopped finally. Glass and pieces of metal spread over 50 ft at one side of the road.

I immediately parked the car and rushed to help. In a few minutes, a lot of people gathered (CCD customers + locals) . It was picth dark and difficult to gauge how many passengers were trapped. The locals extracted 2 badly injured persons from the mangled car. I made a call to 108 for ambulance. It took me a few frustrating minutes to make them understand the accident spot. Clearly 108 guys did not know the location of Rasta Cafe! Ambulance arrived in 20-25 mins ; I got another call from police to confirm the accident details. In the meanwhile, traffic piled up towards mysore. Finally police arrived, cleared the traffic and on-lookers.

I was shaken inside. Had I been 10 seconds late, I would have been hit by the Verna. That vehicle had such momentum that if it had hit our car, we would have toppled over to the opposite lane and crashed to on-coming traffic. My friend was also shaken. We took a timeout at CCD to have coffee and returned home.

I did not have heart to take pictures of the ghastly sight; just took a pic of the numberplate for reference. The car anyway is mangled beyond repair.

A question to Verna owners: From the screeching noise I heard, the car tires seemed to have locked under hard braking. Doesn't Verna come with ABS?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-gmaps-rasta-cafe.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20151115wa0000.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th November 2015 at 15:13. Reason: Adding a pic from Paragsachania's post, since we're linking directly to this from Hot Threads. Thanks.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (54) Thanks

Most Viewed