Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2015, 11:34   #19141
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

No,it is not at Ulundurpet. This one is near Trichy, before Siruganur.
Old 19th November 2015, 14:09   #19142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samratrek View Post

We visited siliguri went to my childhood school Don Bosco ....
Thanks to the almighty that all of you are safe with no major injuries. I had this experience once a few years back and I dread till today about the consequences it could have brought. Thankfully was able to complete that drive just somehow. But learnt a big lesson.

On another note, If it is MUST that you drive - A couple of Redbulls always help

Ofcourse, priority should always be to avoid driving when you feel sleepy.

Last edited by 1lokesh : 19th November 2015 at 14:10.
Old 19th November 2015, 17:48   #19143
BHPian

I have a Verna, and something like this is very scary indeed.

This pre facelift Verna should have discs on both the front and rear (new Verna has drums in the rear only). Also, the badge clearly says 1.6 SX, so the car defiantly had ABS and at least 2 airbags.

The ABS in my Verna had to kick in once. I don't remember there being any screeching sounds although, yes, the entire process is very loud. I'd compare it more to the sounds you would hear when a plane lands.

Finally I would also like to add, our cars could have all the traction systems and airbags in the world, but if the actual chassis is weak, nothing is going to save the occupant. It is for this reason alone that I feel in safer in my Figo than my Verna even though it doesn't have airbags.
Old 19th November 2015, 17:50   #19144
BHPian

ABS, EBD airbags and all other bells & whistles are an aid to enhance the safety parameters of vehicle but in NO way one should consider driving at insane speeds and rash owing to the availability of these.

In our country with unlit roads, scary potholes, humongous and non radium speed breakers, it is better to drive at speeds which can be controlled to a certain extent. The engines have substantially increased in power and bhp figures in the last decade but the development of roads and safety parameters are not at the same pace.

Infact, even if you are driving sanely , it is imperative to save yourself from other fools driving and trying to hit you from all the corners.

Everyday i try to ensure safe practices as much as possible since the road i take towards my work place is extremely narrow and witnesses all sorts of threats in the form of:

unlit trucks and tractors,
people driving with high beam,
a cow coming from nowhere,
guys driving bikes rashly with earphones in their ear
and rickshaw pullers taking surprise turns.

Its the almighty whose blessings are always required while driving in India but still its better to take precautions and be safe than being sorry. Happy and safe driving fellow bhpians.
NST440 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 17:56   #19145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I found this Honda City (previous gen) ivtec in such a miserable condition at a fuel station on the NH45......
Could just be the lighting in the pics playing tricks on my eyes, but the tires on the City don't seem to have much tread left on them, esp. the front right visible clearly in the third pic.

Driving at highway speeds with those tires?
Old 19th November 2015, 19:10   #19146
Distinguished - BHPian

Another total loss. This time a Skoda Rapid. This accident took place in the same week as the honda city accident happened. Same stretch of the highway, 10km ahead of the past accident spot.

Right opposite the 24*7 CCD outlet, so I was able to ask what happened exactly. The rapid was overspeeding at 2 am, the driver was a doctor, wore seat belts. The co-passenger was his mom, without wearing seat belts. They were travelling in the other lane, the doc lost control, hit the median, came flying and hit the road on the other lane sideways. It toppled a couple times and came to a halt. The poor old lady was thrown out onto the highway, and oncoming truck ran her over. She died on the spot. The doctor was lucky to be alive with injuries that he will recover from.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20151011_19_15_40_pro.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20151011_19_15_20_pro.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20151011_19_15_48_pro.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20151016_12_00_26_pro.jpg  

Old 19th November 2015, 19:26   #19147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
The doctor was lucky to be alive with injuries that he will recover from.
The difference between wearing a seatbelt and not wearing one is staggering to say the least. It nullifies the fact that the cabin was acceptably intact despite toppling over several times.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th November 2015 at 19:45. Reason: Refer the 'Seat Belts Saved My Life!' thread. Copied a part of your post there.
Turbohead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 19:44   #19148
Senior - BHPian

I travelled by car on NH after a long time now, at least after 8 years. Have done many trips on the Pune-Mumbai E-Way. This time Pune to Goa & back and I realised how dangerous it is to drive fast on the NH as compared to the E-way. During the day time, I was able to keep a constant 90-100 but while returning I hit the NH when it was dark and I could not gather the courage to go beyond the 80 mark. I just did not feel in control of the vehicle post 80 at night on the NH.

And I saw people driving Altos at 110+ and those in sedans and luxury cars were 130+. I still do not understand how could they be in control of the vehicle at those speeds on NH in the dark.

And after returning I saw these accident pictures.

It is best to keep a max speed of 80 on NH in the dark.
There are enough morons roaming on the NH driving haphazardly (be it cars, trucks or even bikes), loads of tractors carry load and many diversions, thereby making the speeding beyond 80 not worth the risk.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 19th November 2015 at 19:50.
vinit.merchant is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 20:03   #19149
Senior - BHPian

A 20 year old lost control of his car at high speed. This is the result.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1447943318.776694.jpg

I was probably 3 mins behind him.

Seat belts really worked and he was out of the car with minor bruise on his hand.

Bangalore.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 20:27   #19150
BHPian

OMG! looks horrible. Hope everyone is fine in the car.

Driving at night in K.A rural roads is a nightmare. You will see all of sudden concrete dividers come up in middle of the roads. You will see heavy vehicles parked with no hazard lights. It very very dangerous out there. Yoo should never clock three digit speeds on the rural roads.
Old 19th November 2015, 20:53   #19151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
A 20 year old lost control of his car at high speed. This is the result.
Attachment 1441450

I was probably 3 mins behind him.

Seat belts really worked and he was out of the car with minor bruise on his hand.

Bangalore.
Is this new diesel Jazz? Where did this happen? At least no one was hurt !
Old 19th November 2015, 21:06   #19152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Is this new diesel Jazz? Where did this happen? At least no one was hurt !

Yes. Happened yesterday around 7:30 on the Nice road between PES exit and Sompura. The road was actually dry when this happened and it started to rain just as I reached the spot.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1447947313.987567.jpg
Old 19th November 2015, 21:08   #19153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
A skidding wheel will provide the maximum friction.
Hey Mayank, Agree with you that the point of ABS is to give steering ability under hard braking.

But 1 correction, a skidding wheel (100% slip) does not give maximum friction. Maximum traction is gained at about 10-25% slip depending on tire specifications.

Just technicality. .
rangakishen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 22:19   #19154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Mine is top end verna 2014 Model. Now this argument is putting some thoughts or doubts in my mind when a small incident happened to me 20 days back. I was cruising in at 40 to 50 kms/Hr, and car in front of me had to jam the brakes due to small kids crossing the road out of nowhere. Looking at this I also jammed my brakes. I thought ABS would kick in but I have no clue whether that happened. Car's wheel got locked and it slided and hit the wagon R in my front. All this while I was thinking whether wheels got locked or not.

Is there a way to check whether ABS is really working ?
You can't miss the event of the ABS kicking in ─ there is a very pronounced vibration of the brake pedal, almost scary, as if it has suddenly come alive, and in my Tata Vista it even makes a noise loud enough to drown all other noises (including engine noise, music, or wind noise with window rolled down). And, on tarmac, there is this unmistakable noise of the tyres beginning to lock and then regaining grip in quick, short, staccato bursts.

A sure shot way of checking if your ABS works or not is to find an empty stretch of reasonably flat ground, speed up to about 45 Km/h, and slam your brakes with all your might. If the wheels lock, then you know the ABS is dysfunctional.
Old 19th November 2015, 23:33   #19155
BHPian

The Verna incident looks ghastly horrible. One must not drive a car at such high speeds, much less a Verna with its lousy handling. One possibility for complete loss of control can be Verna's unpredictable handling. I used to own a 2011 Verna before selling it off for a Duster and I can surely say, driving a Verna in excess of 120 kmph is EXTREMELY dangerous and trying to take in a curve at that speed is indeed scary; there's too much body roll.

Moreover, my Verna had met with an accident in 2012 on NH8 enroute New Delhi from Jaipur with my uncle behind the wheel and similarly, the ABS did not kick in and he ended up rear ending an XUV. I was riding shotgun for a brief break and clearly, there were skid marks on the road. Morani Hyundai diagnosed that the ABS sensor went kaput and so, replaced the unit. A similar incident happened with my friend's 2010 i20 too and Hyundai thereafter replaced the ABS unit, free of cost. Seems to be some issue with Hyundais.

This incident reminded me of a friend's accident in a W221 S-Class. Neither ABS not 8-10 Airbags and all the highly overrated safety features of the S-Class could save him. The culprit - high speed and wrong judgement. And well, only 1 airbag actually deployed inspite of being a head-on collision followed by rollover. Guess technology isn't always as reliable as it is meant to be.
mohaks19 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks