Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2015, 15:33   #19381
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
FYI, supercar makers like ferrari, lambo, pagani etc offer models which are 100% carbon fibre body shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
So this carbon fibre body shell is monocoque or bolted onto a chassis/sub frame assembly?
+1 to that.

AFAIK most of the super car marques use carbon fibre monocoque bolted onto a metal (Aluminium in most cases) frame/sub frame. I guess Lambo's sesto elemento is the only car with most parts made of carbon fibre including the suspension components and drive shaft. I'd like to mention that it ain't a street-legal car though.
Old 13th December 2015, 19:26   #19382
BHPian

8 teenagers ??? in a hyundai car on a picnic trip. 2 dead on the spot 1 brain dead admitted in NIMHANS, 3 with serious injuries. 2 with minor injuries. no lessons learnt. I am still scratching how 8 can fit a car. Newspaper says it is brand new Hyundai verna. Could not make out from the wreck
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car.jpg  

Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 19:40   #19383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
8 teenagers ??? in a hyundai car on a picnic trip. 2 dead on the spot 1 brain dead admitted in NIMHANS, 3 with serious injuries. 2 with minor injuries. no lessons learnt. I am still scratching how 8 can fit a car. Newspaper says it is brand new Hyundai verna. Could not make out from the wreck
Going by the colour and speaker grill on the rear parcel tray, This is certainly not a brand new Verna. But 8 people on a 4 seater sedan looks next to impossible to even think of.
Old 13th December 2015, 19:42   #19384
Distinguished - BHPian

On the way back from Jaipur today, near Neemrana, I suddenly had to slow down cos the 4-5 cars ahead suddenly veered across lanes to avoid a truck stopped in the middle of the road. As I neared, I saw a guy laid across behind it, waving vehicles to the side. Then I saw the red skid marks. Then I saw the bike trapped under the front wheel. And then I saw the body.
The guy at the back had broken bones, the accident happened just seconds before we arrived. The bike was under the truck, and half the man left was under the front left wheel.
Here I was, thinking I'd update the roads that Delhi Jaipur can be done now in 5 hours.
All due to poor planning for people to get across, and a feeling of invincibility amongst local riders and drivers to dart across a national highway.

Ps:did stop to see what was being done, but then the restaurant owner across the road came by, saw wife and child in the car and asked us to move off. Cops and ambulance were on their way, and locals were expected to arrive en masse soon, so expect the worst.

Last edited by mayankk : 13th December 2015 at 19:44.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 21:12   #19385
BHPian

This happened on NH-9 near Vijayawada. Apparently, the Innova belongs to a member of parliament. According to the victim (he is an advocate), the Innova tried to overtake a speeding RTC bus and managed to chafe the victim's Alto.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12304433_962462240495411_4573146546128076206_o.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12309549_962462283828740_2301882958149262600_o.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12314207_962743063800662_8714824546696544581_o.jpg
Old 13th December 2015, 21:52   #19386
BHPian

Quote:
From the seat fabric pattern and the rear quarter glass, looks like its pre-fluidic verna.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hyundai_verna_int_775672619.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4191.jpg
Old 13th December 2015, 23:37   #19387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
FYI, supercar makers like ferrari, lambo, pagani etc offer models which are 100% carbon fibre body shell.
Quote:
In any case plastics != carbon fibre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
+1 to that.AFAIK most of the super car marques use carbon fibre monocoque bolted onto a metal (Aluminium in most cases) frame/sub frame.
The McLaren P1 GTR uses a carbon fibre monocoque chassis which meets the FIA roll over regulation without roll-cage! Although the GTR is track only, the normal P1 also incorporates the same carbon-fibre monocoque. While this is at the other end of the extreme, I think that the manufacturers can definitely implement some mixed solution for consumer cars, e.g. carbon fibre for high strength areas etc. IIRC some manufactures already implement different grade of steels/aluminium for different areas of the car.

Last edited by blackwasp : 13th December 2015 at 23:40.
Old 14th December 2015, 00:09   #19388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
While this is at the other end of the extreme, I think that the manufacturers can definitely implement some mixed solution for consumer cars, e.g. carbon fibre for high strength areas etc. IIRC some manufactures already implement different grade of steels/aluminium for different areas of the car.
AFAIK companies like BMW are already working on using recycled carbonfibre or infusing plastic with carbonfibre to make things more economical for use in future every-day cars
Old 14th December 2015, 01:48   #19389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
AFAIK companies like BMW are already working on using recycled carbonfibre or infusing plastic with carbonfibre to make things more economical for use in future every-day cars
Why look so far ahead. If I remember correctly, the Mahindra Reva e2o has a plastic body or a body made up of plastic panels or some such.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 03:38   #19390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Why look so far ahead. If I remember correctly, the Mahindra Reva e2o has a plastic body or a body made up of plastic panels or some such.
Yes but I'm not sure how that is relevant to the topic. I thought we were discussing techniques used to keep cars strong and safe while at the same time lowering the weight for performance and efficiency; unlike carbonfibre, the abs plastic used for the Reva's body, is not more rigid than steel thus isn't of much use from a safety perspective it just serves the purpose of being lighter that's all.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 14th December 2015 at 03:41.
Old 14th December 2015, 07:33   #19391
BHPian

This is what I saw at Kherki Daula Toll Plaza on Saturday morning. Maybe due to dense fog, the truck could not see what's in front and rammed into Toll Booth. Sounds incredulous as the area is properly lit up but can't think of another reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1450058555429.jpg  

Old 14th December 2015, 07:36   #19392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Yes but I'm not sure how that is relevant to the topic. I thought we were discussing techniques used to keep cars strong and safe while at the same time lowering the weight for performance and efficiency; unlike carbonfibre, the abs plastic used for the Reva's body, is not more rigid than steel thus isn't of much use from a safety perspective it just serves the purpose of being lighter that's all.
Sorry. I meant it as a response to the post below.

Quote:

In the never ending chase of weight reduction, may be one day some manufacturers will replace all the steel with plastic, provide airbags and ebd and position it as a safe car
Old 14th December 2015, 16:34   #19393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Are you sure this is a right observation? I thought it was the other way around. The Swift could be inferior and Etios superior.

Like a good helmet, the shell of the car should collapse on the impact. Otherwise, the shock will be transferred to the passengers inside the car and the impact grievous.
Agree about the importance of crumple zone being built around the car to minimize the shock being transferred to the occupants.

But just as crumple zones are important, it is equally important to have a strong body shell behind the crumple zones. The (A, B, C pillars, side reinforcements, floor, roof supports, basically the entire passenger cage) should be rigid and should resist crumpling/deforming as much as possible to minimize intrusions of external objects into the cabin give the passengers a survivable space during an impact or rollover.

Between the Etios and the Swift/Dezire, I would rate Swift/Dezire as a better built car (in relative terms).

Last edited by for_cars1 : 14th December 2015 at 16:36.
Old 14th December 2015, 18:21   #19394
Senior - BHPian

Saw a pileup of 3 lorries and a car on the Hyderabad highway this morning, near the BP petrol bunk before the Kamat Upachar. Looks like the leading lorry rammed into something which was not present when I passed by but saw front passenger side damage. On my return saw a container truck with rear right damage parked around half a km down. Looks like this was the third one involved. The car had rammed into this and one more lorry lay on its side on the median after hitting the car from behind.

The police and the ambulance were present and were not allowing anyone to stop. Sorry no pictures as I was on my bike.
Old 14th December 2015, 18:25   #19395
Senior - BHPian

Accidents in India with Pictures

Quote:

Yes. Today's Times of India does confirm that it's a Hyundai Verna. The accident happened somewhere near the Bangalore airport. It says that the driver lost control and hit a rock and then a pole.
Sad to see young lives lost.Frustrati.

Most Viewed