Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2016, 23:31   #19591
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Here's a video of an accident in Bangalore.

The accident occurred on 25th December, 2015 near Majestic.

The victim is my classmate from Std. X. Post the accident, he was admitted to the hospital and died four hours later.

Apparently, he rode the wrong way because he was late. Goes to show how a seemingly small decision can have such a devastating impact.
Old 3rd January 2016, 23:42   #19592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
As a proud owner of SX4, I totally agree with your feeling. It is indeed hard to dispose this car.

Secondly, if the car is capable to be repaired, disposing it off would not have been good for the community (pool of car owners is paying for this through their premium) and for the environment. So, you have acted in a socially responsible manner too.
Well, if the car can be repaired at less than 80% of IDV, the insurance company won't accept a total loss payout and hence, the pool of car owners won't be affected.

If the owner intends to scrap the vehicle, the insurance company will only settle the estimated repair cost - that's their maximum liability. the scrap car will be sold to the buyer and any difference (negative ) will have to be borne by the owner.

If the difference is positive, I guess the car owner will be offered the car at the same price as the prospective buyer so that he can repair outside. Something similar to that happened in case of BHPian Arun Josie's car where the insurance actually saved money by declaring the car as total loss as the car in question a Dzire ZDI I guess had a higher resale value as scrap and paying out the IDV value instead of repairing the car.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 23:51   #19593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Well, if the car can be repaired at less than 80% of IDV, the insurance company won't accept a total loss payout and hence, the pool of car owners won't be affected.

If the owner intends to scrap the vehicle, the insurance company will only settle the estimated repair cost - that's their maximum liability. the scrap car will be sold to the buyer and any difference (negative ) will have to be borne by the owner.

If the difference is positive, I guess the car owner will be offered the car at the same price as the prospective buyer so that he can repair outside. Something similar to that happened in case of BHPian Arun Josie's car where the insurance actually saved money by declaring the car as total loss as the car in question a Dzire ZDI I guess had a higher resale value as scrap and paying out the IDV value instead of repairing the car.
Exactly! Insurance company will declare the car as total loss if their liability is more than 75 percent of IDV.My bill was 4 lakhs and I had to put 1.33 lakhs. So insurance company had to pay 2.67 lakhs which was around 50 percent of IDV - 5.4 lakhs. Also I was offered constructive total loss where the insurance company will pay their liability of 2.67 lakhs plus scrap value of my car.
Old 4th January 2016, 01:38   #19594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

Apparently, he rode the wrong way because he was late. Goes to show how a seemingly small decision can have such a devastating impact.
From the video, looks like the scooter was on the same direction, i'd blame both Bus and scooter for not being careful. Bus gets more blame because he turned blind without even checking or rather should have stayed on the right most track for a safe turn. Or am i missing something, as you mentioned your friend rode on the wrong way ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
This news report claims he was a farmer going to his farm and the car drove for 50 kms with the victim on the roof. The ORVM are closed and that explains why these guys did not realize that there was a body on the roof. The report also claims the driver was drunk.
Very unfortunate. Looks like the victim did not have much external injuries but probable cause of death is impact on head resulting in internal bleeding and age factor as well ? The ritz would have fled the scene fearing local guys. Oft repeated argument comes in my mind, highways are not the place for walking. But with lack of facilities who to be blamed (like safe pedestrian crossing using underpass or elevated walk ways etc) ?
Old 4th January 2016, 01:53   #19595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
From the video, looks like the scooter was on the same direction, i'd blame both Bus and scooter for not being careful. Bus gets more blame because he turned blind without even checking or rather should have stayed on the right most track for a safe turn. Or am i missing something, as you mentioned your friend rode on the wrong way ?
From my knowledge of the road, the little lane the Scooter entered from is for vehicles from the larger lane to take a U-Turn.

I have tried to illustrate it here.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ill2.jpg

Ideally, he should've joined lane B, turned left and taken a U-Turn further ahead to join lane A. But he turned right after entering lane B.

Also, it looked like the scooter was looking to go straight. The bus in lane A really had no need to look over his shoulder while turning right as vehicles should not be coming that way at all.

IMO, the scooter's fault though-and-through. Impatience coupled with bad judgment led to his untimely demise.

To those who feel this dissection is distasteful; we need to learn from these incidents. Only way to ensure that we don't fall prey to such mishaps.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ill.jpg  

ashwin.terminat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 08:51   #19596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Post the accident, he was admitted to the hospital and died
After the accident the truck driver dragged out the scooterist. He should not have moved him at all.

Even a slight movement by an untrained hand is enough to aggravate any spinal or brain damage. Ideally we should wait for emergency services to arrive and hope they know what they are doing.
samaspire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 09:24   #19597
BHPian

Quote:
Its common phenomenon that bigger vehicles veer to left before taking a right turn, due to their higher turning radius. Couldn't make out if he turned his indicator ON. anyway, if the two wheeler is not expected to be there, bus driver is not expected to watch for him - so it may not be such a blind turn either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
After the accident the truck driver dragged out the scooterist. He should not have moved him at all.
While what you are saying is sensible, the first instinctive reaction will be to get the victim out from under the vehicle. At that time, nobody thinks of what all injuries that he suffered, what further damage that may occur etc.,
At least, the driver did not run away, which is the usual course of action He tried whatever little he can do, under the given circumstances.
FORTified is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 09:44   #19598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
While what you are saying is sensible, the first instinctive reaction will be to get the victim out from under the vehicle. At that time, nobody thinks of what all injuries that he suffered, what further damage that may occur etc.,

At least, the driver did not run away, which is the usual course of action He tried whatever little he can do, under the given circumstances.
What the driver did was morally correct. He just wanted to help.

What I'm ruing is that everyone lacks basic first aid knowledge - about what to do and what not to do after an accident. Maybe it should be a part of driver education before granting licences.

I have personally seen people die from others wanting to help them after accidents. And I was too young to do anything about it.
Old 4th January 2016, 10:01   #19599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Further more, the bus driver would have been blinded by the three-wheeler who was also on the wrong side. The scooter seems to have come from behind the auto and as soon as he overtook the auto sees the bus taking a right turn.
I would say the fault was with the scooter. He should have atleast slowed down not being sure which direction the bus was headed. Seems to me he was in a hurry.
Old 4th January 2016, 10:45   #19600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
What the driver did was morally correct. He just wanted to help.

What I'm ruing is that everyone lacks basic first aid knowledge - about what to do and what not to do after an accident. Maybe it should be a part of driver education before granting licences.

I have personally seen people die from others wanting to help them after accidents. And I was too young to do anything about it.
IMHO - Its presence of mind that makes the difference. Training in first aid really helps but you can never tell how an individual reacts in given situation. I came across a situation where a transformer blasted and two people were on fire. Me and another trained guy reached the spot first. I was frozen for a moment but the other guy dropped to the floor and started crying.
Old 4th January 2016, 11:51   #19601
BHPian

Quote:

The victim is my classmate from Std. X. Post the accident, he was admitted to the hospital and died four hours later.

This is bad, but I have seen bikers do worse. Unfortunately for your ex-classmate, the other object in question was a truck and there was very little chance of the driver looking at that spot. Absolutely silly way to end your life. And to save what? 2mins maybe?

Generally, when people are taking taking their turns correctly, a car taking left does not expect anyone to overtake them from the left and come right cross, same with taking a right, you do not expect anyone to overtake you and cross you to the left. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

More-ever, I just don't get it - why do people take outrageous risks for saving 2 minutes of travel time? Maybe the concept that accidents could happen to them has never crossed their mind?

To every bike rider here - Please think about your family first, look at this video and educate others as well. Life is too precious to be lost this way.

PS: The driver trying to help the guy. Pretty sure he was not trained. He drags him out. This process itself is more likely to kill the fellow. When anyone is in such a scenarios, please remember to use some kind of a stretcher - or at-least make sure he is flat when he is being pulled out, his chances of survival increase dramatically. Remember you might actually do him a bigger service by keeping him flat on the road.

In this case, once the guy was not under the wheels, he could have been laid flat on the road and people should have waited for an ambulance to come.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 4th January 2016 at 11:59.
pratyush6 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 11:52   #19602

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrajesh View Post
Took this picture last week while travelling to office via Mambakkam- Siruseri road. Not sure how this happened as I arrived a tad little late. The car was held by the pole as you can see the rear end of the car is not grounded.
Been there, seen that, but didn't take the pic!! It's my daily route to office!!
Seems like the driver lost control while negotiating that wide curve!!

BTW it is Sithalapakkam-Siruseri road!!
Old 4th January 2016, 11:59   #19603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Generally, when people are taking taking their turns correctly, a car taking left does not expect anyone to overtake them from the left and come right cross, same with taking a right, you do not expect anyone to overtake you and cross you to the left. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

To every bike rider here - Please think about your family first, look at this video and educate others as well. Life is too precious to be lost this way.
Correct. Main issue with most two wheeler riders is they dont have the habit of following a vehicle ahead. That is the root cause of the two wheeler menace. They just want to nudge ahead in whatever space is left at the sides. Here, space is created because the bus has to cut the turn and not for the scooterist to take it for granted and race ahead.

Consider this, if I was the guy riding the activa, I would have rode behind the bus at least until the intersection was done, before I would overtake the bus(obviously). At least, I would have known that the bus is taking a turn and then the road would be free for me to continue straight. Its just plain stupidity to just cut a bigger vehicle during a turn.

This is more prevalent in left turns. I make sure that the left is clear, and then look right for an approaching vehicle and move ahead to turn. In the meanwhile, a senseless guy on a bike would have occupied that space in the left I created. This has led to many near misses and sometimes they have nudged the left mirror. So now, I have learnt the trick. Never leave a gap to the left until the turn approaches, and take a slightly longer turn onto the street. Its better to run a little excess into the street you turn to instead of trying to adjust the vehicle before the turn. The bus driver did the latter here and had to face unnecessary trouble.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 12:30   #19604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
From my knowledge of the road, the little lane the Scooter entered from is for vehicles from the larger lane to take a U-Turn.
I have tried to illustrate it here.

Ideally, he should've joined lane B, turned left and taken a U-Turn further ahead to join lane A. But he turned right after entering lane B.

Also, it looked like the scooter was looking to go straight. The bus in lane A really had no need to look over his shoulder while turning right as vehicles should not be coming that way at all.

IMO, the scooter's fault though-and-through. Impatience coupled with bad judgment led to his untimely demise.

To those who feel this dissection is distasteful; we need to learn from these incidents. Only way to ensure that we don't fall prey to such mishaps.
@ Ashwin, Feels sad for the tragic loss of your ex-classmate.

I would probably give a benefit of doubt to your friend.

To me it looks like the bus suddenly made a last moment right turn from the middle lane.
Your friend was also somewhat in the wrong spot. If he had to go straight, he should have been in the middle lane or left most lane, not in the right lane atleast, where there is a right turn for vehicles to turn.

Good thing is he was wearing a helmet, but the speed of both the vehicles were a bit high (I guess a signal had just turned green), so there was no moment of escape for him.
Old 4th January 2016, 12:38   #19605
BHPian

Quote:

Sad to see this. what a loss !.
It looks like the road near Freedom Park. Is that the one ? Opposite to the fire station near Race Course ?

raghu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks