Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2016, 13:15   #19606
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I would probably give a benefit of doubt to your friend.

To me it looks like the bus suddenly made a last moment right turn from the middle lane.
That is a one way road. The direction where the scooterist came from wasn't meant for him in the first place. He was coming in the wrong direction (scooterist).
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 13:22   #19607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

The victim is my classmate from Std. X. Post the accident, he was admitted to the hospital and died four hours later.
Am so sorry for your loss. That was horrible to watch.

Just observed how he was dragged out from under the truck by the well-meaning driver. It's a little known fact in India that under no circumstances must an injured person be moved till an ambulance arrives. Unfortunate but in this case it may have been a contributing factor to his sad demise.
Old 4th January 2016, 13:42   #19608
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't remember seeing any car more mangled than this one. Found it in front of the Vasant Vihar Police Station this morning.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_1784.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_1786.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_1785.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_1787.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 14:08   #19609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Absolutely silly way to end your life. And to save what? 2mins maybe?

More-ever, I just don't get it - why do people take outrageous risks for saving 2 minutes of travel time? Maybe the concept that accidents could happen to them has never crossed their mind?

To every bike rider here - Please think about your family first, look at this video and educate others as well. Life is too precious to be lost this way.
I too never understand the need to take such risks. The risk involved is just too great when compared to what you stand to gain.

You will see people putting the lives of not only themselves, but that of their entire family at risk only to save a few 100ml of fuel or/and a few minutes of time. They consider themselves invincible for some strange reason.

Just last night, I was taking a U-Turn. I am looking out for the traffic to ensure I do not impede anyone. When I turn back, I had to quickly perform an evasive manoeuvre as I saw this old man coolly riding the wrong way his scooter with two kids onboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
In this case, once the guy was not under the wheels, he could have been laid flat on the road and people should have waited for an ambulance to come.
Thanks.

Will keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I would probably give a benefit of doubt to your friend.

To me it looks like the bus suddenly made a last moment right turn from the middle lane.
He was riding in the wrong direction. The lane he exited from is meant for vehicles like the bus to take a U-Turn. He ideally had to go the other way and take a U-Turn and join the same lane as the bus. But alas, he did not do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
Sad to see this. what a loss !.
It looks like the road near Freedom Park. Is that the one ? Opposite to the fire station near Race Course ?

raghu
Yes. That is exactly the one. I have been on that exact road multiple times on the bike. Hence know what he did wrong.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 4th January 2016 at 14:10.
Old 4th January 2016, 14:29   #19610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
That is a one way road. The direction where the scooterist came from wasn't meant for him in the first place. He was coming in the wrong direction (scooterist).
Quote:
He was riding in the wrong direction. The lane he exited from is meant for vehicles like the bus to take a U-Turn. He ideally had to go the other way and take a U-Turn and join the same lane as the bus. But alas, he did not do so.

Yes. That is exactly the one. I have been on that exact road multiple times on the bike. Hence know what he did wrong.
Thanks for clarifying guys.
Next time I am around Freedom Park, I could get a better idea of the road. Am not a regular on that stretch.
Old 4th January 2016, 14:44   #19611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Am so sorry for your loss. That was horrible to watch ...
I expected that it would be and chickened out.

People have talked about expecting or not expecting the presence of two-wheelers. One of the biggest lessons of my decade of Indian driving is: I may shout, swear, scream, horn, whatever, but it makes no odds, a two wheeler will always be where they should not be, and should not be expected to be. Their ignorance/arrogance is suicidal, and all we can do is to watch out for them and try not to be the instrument of their suicide.

And, even in London, I learned that a road may be one-way, but that does not mean that someone will not break the rule. Here, of course, wrong-side and wrong-way driving is the norm. Whether we like it or not, we must watch out. Even as a pedestrian, walking facing the traffic, I am always aware that bikers will come behind me, and one may come too fast, and I may then be too dead to shout at them. Have people noticed how these guys (and guyesses, it makes no difference) often only use the horn when it is already too late for others to react?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 19:22   #19612

Saw the aftermath of a gore accident on the Salem-Ulundurpet road yesterday. Unfortunately couldn't take pictures as I was accompanied by my soft heartened wife. The accident was near a place called Attur. One of the cars involved is so disfigured as if it was run over by a Road Roller. If someone has any further Intel, please share. All I know was that it was a white sedan.
msrajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 22:15   #19613
BHPian

I witnessed a funny accident today evening on Old madras road.

An Auto was following a car very closely, at good speed.
The car guy applied breaks at signal and in order not to collide with the car, the auto guy swerved sharply to his left. Then, the unthinkable happened

The auto driver fall off his seat and suddenly we find a figure on the road.
The auto proceeded for few meters, hit the footpath and stopped.
The guy got up, dusted himself and approached his vehicle, as if nothing happened.

I caught all the action on my dashcam and if I can find a way of reducing the size, I will post it here.

FINALLY, when I reached the auto, I found a single female passenger and now I know how snow white looks like, at least in complexion
FORTified is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 08:25   #19614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
I witnessed a funny accident today evening on Old madras road.
Ouch ! I had been in a similar accident, 2 years back.

I slowed down near a speed hump on ORR in Bangalore (near HSR Layout to be precise, B'lore folks would know). I normally keep checking my IRVM (Call it OCD). And when I slow down to almost a stop, I must check the IRVM , to be prepared for any rear-endings !!

An Auto was tailing me for long. Due to some bit of traffic, he wasn't able to squeeze ahead. As I slowed down, I guess he thought of overtaking me somehow at a high speed. He didn't brake to slowdown, and just swerved at the last moment, when he realized there was no place to squeeze ahead.
I went over the hump and heard a loud noise, looked back in the IRVM and the Auto had rolled to its side.

Parked my car ahead and walked upto him, he was dusting himself and self-talking, out of trauma probably. No passengers, just the driver.
People came running, lifted the auto. Not much damage. I asked him, what happened. He just mumbled something, sat in the auto and started to start it. I was taken aback for a few seconds !

I thanked my stars, as normally in such a scene, I would have been thrashed (by auto goons, public, cops and who not) by then for slowing at a speed hump and causing an accident !!

Left the scene after that. Total time wasted 3-4 mins.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 09:57   #19615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The accident occurred on 25th December, 2015 near Majestic.
Sorry to hear your loss.

I passed this point in around 5 mins after the accident happened. I picked up my guests from railway station and I was on my way back to home. I saw the victim was lying at road side with 5-6 folks around him. Not much crowd and I could see the blood on his entire body. By the looks of it, sure it was a serious accident. While slowing down I asked the by-stander if the ambulance was called. They replied in affirmation. So I just moved on instead of blocking the traffic.

This specific route on near the freedom park is a bit tricky but not a rocket science to understand. Ideally the U turn ahead followed by a left turn will bring you back to take the desired right. I don't know if the right for cars and bikes is not allowed but for sure this accident could have been avoided either the biker would have noticed the bus turning or been little slower on that turn.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 13:34   #19616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a video of an accident in Bangalore.
I see one other problem in this accident. Your classmate is trying to go straight from the right most end where there is a large probability of vehicles turning right. This happens in places where bikes are in the correct direction but take turns from the wrong end.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 15:47   #19617
BHPian

BMW Rear Ends my Cruze and 2 other cars

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451987003.289982.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451987025.952191.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451987038.742595.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451987050.731620.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451987068.606521.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451987082.496099.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451987095.574811.jpg

Around 1pm today on Police Commissioners road Egmore Chennai my Cruze driven by my driver got rear ended badly by a BMW.

First the BMW hit an Audi Q3 on its right side then banged my Cruze. The full impact was on my Cruze as you can see in the attached pictures. In turn my Cruze hit the car in front a Swift Dzire.

Thanks to Allah noting happened to my Driver. As he was wearing seat belt. On impact his head went and hit the windshield but no injury.

The BMW driver has gone to hospital for head scan.
sameer sultan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 16:00   #19618
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW Rear Ends my Cruze and 2 other cars

>>The BMW driver has gone to hospital for head scan.

seems appropriate. 1 pm is too early to be drunk.
lurker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 16:03   #19619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Attachment 1456931Attachment 1456932Attachment 1456933Attachment 1456934Attachment 1456935Attachment 1456936Attachment 1456937

Around 1pm today on Police Commissioners road Egmore Chennai my Cruze driven by my driver got rear ended badly by a BMW.

First the BMW hit an Audi Q3 on its right side then banged my Cruze. The full impact was on my Cruze as you can see in the attached pictures. In turn my Cruze hit the car in front a Swift Dzire.

Thanks to Allah noting happened to my Driver. As he was wearing seat belt. On impact his head went and hit the windshield but no injury.

The BMW driver has gone to hospital for head scan.
Sad to hear the state your Cruze is in. A big thumbs up to your driver for wearing the seat-belt. BMW driver is in hospital which seems to be apparent looking at the turn of events. Was he drunk during the whole situation? Also, was he alone? Hope no-one was hurt in the Swift Dzire as well.
Old 5th January 2016, 16:08   #19620
BHPian

That is horrible! First, glad to see no major injuries to your driver, thanks to Almighty and the seat belt for the life cover. But your Cruze has surely got a huge impact. The rear boot is completely deformed and there might be some impact to the chassis too considering it went ahead and rear ended a Dzire.

What made the BMW driver ram into the Audi and your Cruze? Did he loose control? or he was really drunk?

Last edited by Venku2015 : 5th January 2016 at 16:10.

Most Viewed